• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Municipal albergue Villafranca Montes de Oca Closed

pam287

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk August or September 2017
This albergue is permanently closed. Saw many pilgrims today who had come from Santo Domingo thinking to stay there. Good thimg is there are a few others in that town but price can be an issue.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How sad for this municipal was always most welcoming with an unlocked front door.

February 2006 the path to Villafranca Montes de Oca was covered with several inches of snow. Walking had become dangerous. At the simple municipal albergue no one was about, but the front door was unlocked and one dormitory was open. No heat in the radiators, but piles of blankets and a hot plate. Considering the alternative it was great! Mid-afternoon I snuggled into my sleeping bag; outside the storm steadily intensified. As night fell the radiators started up. Warm and sheltered how lucky I was.
...Ah memories.

We stayed at St. Anton Abad last year just up the hill from the muni and they had a variety of prices from about 4 Euro upwards. It will put a squeeze on things I'm sure to have one closed in town.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Will pass through there tomorrow. Am in contact with several in my "Camino family" who have experienced a disruption b/c if this.

According to Gronze.com there is only San Anton Abad left in VMdO if the Municipal is closed. And of course some 20€+ accommodation.

We stayed at Villafranca 2 nights ago. St Anton Abad looked after us very well and I was very impressed by how respectful all the staff were. But it was crowded and it was an uncomfortable night with limited toilets and showers.The pilgrim meal is amazing. Might cause a problem during busy times

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This albergue is permanently closed. Saw many pilgrims today who had come from Santo Domingo thinking to stay there. Good thimg is there are a few others in that town but price can be an issue.
That's a pity and yes also a problem - the loss of those 60 beds will put pressure on places like Villambistia (stayed here in May) or Espinosa. Also stayed at San Anton in Sep 2015.
Any reasons posted as to why it has been "permanently" closed??

My information is second-hand, but here goes: The Muni is closed because the people who were running it decided to not renew their "trespasa" with the town, and no one else stepped up with an offer. (Licenses to run municipal albergues are often granted on an auction sort of basis.)
Anyone who'd like to open and run it should contact the ayuntamiento.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last edited:
Here is a Google translation of what one site has to say about the Villafranca de Montes de Oca municipal albergue:

The authentic hostel of pilgrims from Villafranca Montes de Oca has been closed for some time. In substitution, the City has enabled with extraordinary effort and investment a building destined to shelter of pilgrims of Way of Santiago with credential. Its state and conservation is excellent.

http://www.alberguescaminosantiago....unicipal-villafranca-de-montes-de-oca-burgos/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
San Anton Abad albergue, I found, was well kept,clean and luxury compared to others I stayed in.The food was also excellent.You get what you pay for

I don't recall the name of the place, but in 2016 we stayed in a great hostel directly across from the fort and just as you start downhill into town. It was a very hot day, the proprietor met us with a large bottle of ice water, prepared a delicious meal, and gave us a breakfast for the next morning. We plan to return there in 2018.

I don't recall the name of the place, but in 2016 we stayed in a great hostel directly across from the fort and just as you start downhill into town. It was a very hot day, the proprietor met us with a large bottle of ice water, prepared a delicious meal, and gave us a breakfast for the next morning. We plan to return there in 2018.
There is a fort in Villafranca Montes de Oca??? Ups, completely failed to visit it. Another site to see the next time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a fort in Villafranca Montes de Oca??? Ups, completely failed to visit it. Another site to see the next time.

There isn't, I think what the OP meant is a river crossing (via a bridge) at the beginning of town. BC SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There isn't, I think what the OP meant is a river crossing (via a bridge) at the beginning of town. BC SY
Don't think so. I wasn't responding to OP, but to @Walking Lover which wrote:
"...we stayed in a great hostel directly across from the fort ..."

I checked the Google maps now and indeed there isn't any fort in Villafranca...

I did some digging into this, and the situation is not nice.
A new municipal albergue in Villafranca Montes de Oca opened in 2016 to replace the noisy old schoolhouse. It's pretty nice, as you can see from the Rick of Rick and Peg link above. Unfortunately, the mayor and town councilmen decided not to open it for 2017. They deemed it "unnecessary."

...The city councilmen and mayor are proprietors of the delightful new private albergues listed above.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Additional info to what @Rebekah Scott wrote:

When I walked towards Villafranca last year I got chatty with a local that told me that the town had helped/invested in /supported heavily the private albergue (San Anton Abad) so it made no sense to them to keep the municipal one open (less tax income or so) PLUS that in winter both albergues were closed because it was more profitable for the town as a whole that the couple of pensions got the business ...

Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Additional info to what @Rebekah Scott wrote:

When I walked towards Villafranca last year I got chatty with a local that told me that the town had helped/invested in /supported heavily the private albergue (San Anton Abad) so it made no sense to them to keep the municipal one open (less tax income or so) PLUS that in winter both albergues were closed because it was more profitable for the town as a whole that the couple of pensions got the business ...

Buen Camino, SY

I wonder which of the proprietors she is related to.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back