Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Municipal Albergue WiFi?

green_spork

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
Aug/Sept (2017)
Been trying for last few days to connect to the free Wi-Fi in the Municipal Albergues!
The one you have to register for first, then you receive a sms with the password!
I can get the password, but phone just won’t connect!
I know you have to delete the registration link before using the password!

I know the Camino Ninja app states that some phones/networks don’t work!

Was wondering if anybody has got it to work!

Using IPhone 11pro
O2/Movistar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I never could but I don't have a Spanish telephone number. If you don't have a Spanish telephone number, something in the process doesn't work. Of course that could have changed since the last time I was there.

I never could but I don't have a Spanish telephone number. If you don't have a Spanish telephone number, something in the process doesn't work. Of course that could have changed since the last time I was there.
Not, sure!
The info page when you register your number can be viewed in English!
Putting in your full mob number with country prefix works to the point of receiving the password via sms!
It’s when you enter the password, it doesn’t accept it! Apple does flag up the certificate and you have to “trust” it!
Got a albergue with free Wi-Fi so gave up trying!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It worked for me in June-July but I had a Spanish SIM.
Yeah, looks like it’s Spanish networks only!
Some albergues have signs saying it may not work on all phones, but doesn’t mention anything about only Spanish accounts!
Payed a bit extra for a albergue with Wi-Fi!

Yeah, looks like it’s Spanish networks only!
I used the wifi at a Xunta albergue this year without difficulty using a UK SIM and a Samsung Android. I don't recall having to delete anything before using the provided password.

If you are doing this again, the hospitalero might be able to help you get connected.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used the wifi at a Xunta albergue this year without difficulty using a UK SIM and a Samsung Android. I don't recall having to delete anything before using the provided password.

If you are doing this again, the hospitalero might be able to help you get connected.
You have to delete the Camino registration part before using the password!
I don’t think most of hospitaleros know any better, hence why they put up signs stating it doesn’t always work! I thought it may be an apple thing, them being overly cautious!
They Flag up the certificate, so you have to select that you trust it, before the next stage! I know another pilgrim was having the same issue with his U.S based account!

I don’t think most of hospitaleros know any better, hence why they put up signs stating it doesn’t always work!
I'm not sure that I would agree with you on either of these points. The hospitalera at the Xunta albergue where I did stay was quite knowledgeable about how to get the wifi to work. Of course, there might well be others that aren't, but I would expect that if the Xunta network is aware of these issues, they might have provided either training or instructions that would allow hospitaleros to help pilgrims with this.

I'm not sure that I would agree with you on either of these points. The hospitalera at the Xunta albergue where I did stay was quite knowledgeable about how to get the wifi to work. Of course, there might well be others that aren't, but I would expect that if the Xunta network is aware of these issues, they might have provided either training or instructions that would allow hospitaleros to help pilgrims with this.
I think will agree to disagree on this, of the 3 I stayed at the hospitaleros simply referred me back to main registration site or were too busy dealing with other pilgrims requests! I think you may have got lucky!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used facebook messenger with no problems at all where there was a wifi connection. No need to bother with international sims or local phone companies.

I used facebook messenger with no problems at all where there was a wifi connection. No need to bother with international sims or local phone companies.
It is good that you have been successful in the albergues where you stayed, but you must have gotten connected with the wifi before you could use Facebook Messenger. That is what the OP is saying that he cannot do.

Others have reported similar problems or inconsistencies with it in some municipal albergues (in Galicia, specifically?)

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.