• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Municipal albergues allowing large group to reserve 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the people who manage the albergue should be able to decide their own policies concerning the rules about who stays, not some passing pilgrim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The CF is changing faster than our expectations....Adapt and overcome... or walk the shoulder seasons

alhartman, post #99...I like your post the best. We can all complain about how things were or how they should be which is the majority of this thread. Commiserating does serve the short term purpose of venting frustration but in this case it's not going to fix the root problem of larger numbers doing the Camino. Greater numbers leads to more pre-booking of bed reservations resulting in fewer beds being available at 2pm in ALL facilities.

I like the idea of the shoulder seasons, for the Camino or the U.S. National Parks or any other hugely popular destination where over crowding diminishes the experience. However, even now those shoulder seasons are getting compressed too.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think that the people who manage the albergue should be able to decide their own policies concerning the rules about who stays, not some passing pilgrim.
The many passing pilgrims need to have some idea where they can stay, or could be obliged to sleep rough or compete for limited alternate accommodation when anticipated beds are not available. As I see it, this is the issue here, that a particular albergue is being presented on a a web site used by pilgrims, Gronze.com, as not available for pre-booking. This is inaccurate and should be corrected before the crowds of the 2021 Holy Year arrive. On the other hand, I do not see that to be obliged to stay in an overflow albergue is a huge issue; pilgrims should be grateful to have a bed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've seen signs in dorm rooms that said it is against Spanish law for minors to sleep in dormitories. I know it happens that minors sleep in them, but no school group would be able to book a dorm where children and strangers mix.
Interesting. I think I've heard of that law, too, although I've never seen it displayed or enforced on the Camino. For the first half of our Camino in 2016 my son was a minor and we were never told he wasn't allowed in a dormitory and I've read plenty of accounts (and watched videos) of numerous families walking the Camino with children who slept in dorms (along with their parents) without ever coming across this law. I wonder if there is an exception in the law for minors accompanied by parents?

From what I understand no one was denied a bed, just that these teenagers took over the “nicer” part of the albergue.

I have refrained from saying anything until now as it is so subjective.... depending on how you feel at the time, how tired etc....
I understand Trecile’s reaction. It happened to me in Pereje, albergue municipal, no reservations.
When I arrived that year, only 2 beds were taken but we were told all the rest were reserved!!! What??? I was tired, I couldn’t find the hospitalero to ask what was going on.... Yes, I am sorry to say, I was angry. (Shameful look).
To cut a long story short, turns out there was a pilgrim in a wheel-chair expected and he had a large ‘entourage’ so all the beds were kept for them. They arrived very late, well after we’d had dinner in the bar opposite.
In the end, we were put in the ‘over-flow’ upstairs, that I never knew existed, in the attic, on mattresses. The kitchen was just underneath and pilgrims were happily cooking a meal (all the smells going up! 😳).
Just to say: that night is now is one of my best memories 😁

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back