• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Municipal Larrosoaña closed

LTfit

Veteran Member
Just a heads-up for anyone leaving Roncesvalles in the coming days. I left there this morning and was planning on stopping in Larrosoaña instead of the short stage of 21 km to Zubiri. I had read that it is open till October 31st. NOT! Next stop is at about 38 km from Roncesvalles at Trinidad de Arre or Pamplona where am now at 43 km? A long day. About 6 of us were caught by surprise and ended up here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gronze has 3 Albergues in Larrosoana, including Albergue El Palo de Avellano and Albergue Zaldiko both of which suggest open to reservations after October. Are the Private Albergues settling back on the peak seasons and not bothering with the late season trade?

Albergue El Palo de Avellano and Albergue Zaldiko

@Tincatinker those ones are in Zubiri. Gronze does list some other options in Larrasoaña though. And there is the lovely Zuriaín a few km further on - they seem to still be open this week according to their facebook page, but maybe not.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah, thanks, @GettingThere. I'm obviously loosing my grip ( or my ability to surf, cut & paste :0)) However, even after a refresh there still seem to be at least two Albergues in Larrosoana that are, or advertise as being open: Albergue Bide Ederra and the oft' loathed municipal is supposed to be a 'todos los anos'.

There is a hotel/hostel in Akkareta a couple of km along the route after Larrasoaña.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a hotel/hostel in Akkareta a couple of km along the route after Larrasoaña.
That is where "Tom" staid in the movie "The Way"= its a private hotel more than a Casa Rural & I think its around E60-90 per night, but that does inc and evening meal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Tincatinker those ones are in Zubiri. Gronze does list some other options in Larrasoaña though. And there is the lovely Zuriaín a few km further on - they seem to still be open this week according to their facebook page, but maybe not.

Zuriain was CLOSED! In fact under construction.

Larrosoaña was dead. No open café only a vending machine. I spoke to a woman living in the town (only person in the street) and she said that the municipal closed a week or two ago and when it does the cafe also does. She mentioned a private Hostal.or Pension that might be open so check if you want to go that way.

Originally wanted to stay with the nuns in Zabaldika but had contact with them prior to leaving and they confirmed closure on October 15th.

p.s. There maybe private hotels or hostages or pensions but everything closed closed up when I walked by. I also should have stated at the start that I don't book in advance...so these things can occur. Thankfully I know that my legs can go the distance but was tired!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think I expressed myself rather badly last night. I was musing on the impact of Booking on Albergue availability. If places aren't going to open their doors, let alone switch a light on, unless they have a confirmed booking stomping down the track then those of us who don't book / call ahead will be walking past the shutters forever.

I'm minded that on many of the quieter routes calling ahead, just to let the Hospi know your coming, is a good thing to do.

That is where "Tom" staid in the movie "The Way"= its a private hotel more than a Casa Rural & I think its around E60-90 per night, but that does inc and evening meal.
Nice place when I stayed there, long before the Way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The SAN Nicholas albergue was very good when I stayed there in April. The owner is very enterprising and promotes his Albergue by parking his car by the drinks kiosk on the last hill going down to Zubiri. His wife cooked a very good pilgrims menu ( with wine)!! F9E4876F-321C-4C14-8EFD-8A7979BA2869.jpegF9E4876F-321C-4C14-8EFD-8A7979BA2869.jpegAlternatively, the kitchen was very good for preparing your own food. The food shop is just around the corner. Enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back