Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Municipal sports centers, etc. on Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
Sorry to be putting up a bunch of boring detail threads, but I'm trying to get a clear list of accommodations on the Invierno. In this thread, I'm asking for help with identifying the places where the town offers lodging, but not albergues. This is usually in the polideportivo (sports facility), but also can be in a town social center or something similar. I could really use help with this because I generally go to either pilgrim albergues or private lodging, I'm not a good enough pilgrim to sleep on a mat on a floor :)

Prianza del Bierzo -- Centro Social
As Medulas -- Casa de Socorro
Puente de Domingo Flores -- polideportivo
Monforte -- polideportivo
Rodeiro -- polidepportivo
Before A Rua in Vilamartin -- polideportivo??? or is it an albergue juvenil?
Monforte -- polideportivo
Chantaa -- polideportivo
Rodeiro -- polideportivo

I think this list may be a bit misleading, because I've been told that in some of the towns the polideportivo will be opened for pilgrims on the Invierno, but only in cases of large groups walking. Since the guide I'm doing is for the indificual pilgrim on foot, I'm trying to figure out whether these are realistic alternatives.

Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Laurie!
I know it is a while since I did any of this route but I am sure I was told in Chantada that they were not offering the Polideportivo anymore. Is it back in use again?
Sue

Hi Laurie!
I know it is a while since I did any of this route but I am sure I was told in Chantada that they were not offering the Polideportivo anymore. Is it back in use again?
Sue
thanks Sue, that's just the kind of information I am looking for. This is a totally unreliable list I've put together from past sources. I think that means I'll remove the Chantada deportivo from the guide!

Any other info would be helpful, too, thanks so much. Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not a single polideportivo on offer this month from what I could find out but, from A Pobra de Brollón onwards Pensiones with rooms at 15 euros, often of a high standard, were available in Pobra, Monforte, Chantada and Rodeiro. I expect you have them in the guide.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As I'm thinking about this, maybe it's just the relentless optimist in me, but I do see a real silver lining here. I think that this is sort of like the bombeiros voluntarios in Portugal. When pilgrim traffic from Lisbon to Porto was in the single digits every year, the firefighters weren't inconvenienced all that much by having to open up to give shelter to the occasional pilgrim. Since then it has become a big pain, and many have stopped doing it. I think it may be the same on the Invierno. Sleeping in a polideportivo is a very informal arrangement. You may get a mat, you sleep in a huge building whose purpose has nothing to do with pilgrims, and you may get a hot shower if you're lucky. But as the numbers grow, it becomes much more of a headache.

The end of the polideportivo may mean that albergues and other private alternatives may be just around the corner! Buen camino, Laurie

IMHO, I would rather sleep on a haystack than in a polideportivo. They are the rock-bottom shelter option for pilgrims, for emergencies only.

Don't agree with Rebekah, but that's only me ;)

I would use it more as if i wasn't for the circumstances regarding my "bed-bugs bites" (see my posts why those wasn't really bites...). I've got info on those in Caminka's list which was very helpful overall but should be updated.
@peregrina2000 - I don't know what your source was, but I'll try to attach my list with distances and acommodation which ISN'T (!!!) updated. Main problem I see is that phone numbers are of ayuntamiento offices which can be a problem when not phoned in advance.

Ultreia!

PS (Can't attach .docx file... (???) but can send it via E-mail if needed, Laurie.)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Don't agree with Rebekah, but that's only me ;)

I would use it more as if i wasn't for the circumstances regarding my "bed-bugs bites" (see my posts why those wasn't really bites...). I've got info on those in Caminka's list which was very helpful overall but should be updated.
@peregrina2000 - I don't know what your source was, but I'll try to attach my list with distances and acommodation which ISN'T (!!!) updated. Main problem I see is that phone numbers are of ayuntamiento offices which can be a problem when not phoned in advance.

Ultreia!

PS (Can't attach .docx file... (???) but can send it via E-mail if needed, Laurie.)

I am finding what seems to be a trend -- polideportivos on the Invierno are getting out of the pilgrim business. My guess is that they still open up when 85 people in a group walk stages together, but that has to be organized ahead of time. I'd appreciate any document, Kinky, so can you email me? I think you have my email, if not, let me know and I'll send it to you. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back