• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Musical "First Aid" for our stranded Forum Member

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Time of past OR future Camino
CF whole & part 12-19, VF 17, VDLP+ptSbres22
Hi everyone -

For those of you who've been following David's 'first aid on Camino Sept to Oct' thread', you will have seen that David has run into car problems on his way to the Camino to carry out his invaluable first aid work. He's stranded in a small village - Lavignolle - south of Bordeaux.

We all hope that his car problems can be sorted in a timely way, at a reasonable cost.

Given that David will have at least a few days in Lavignolle, and possibly will have some time on his hands, it occurred to me that we could offer David some Forum 'first aid' - in a musical sense.

How about posting a favourite youtube clip for David, and us all, to enjoy ... ?

My contribution is a song called "Waiting In The Wind" by the iconic Aussie band GANGAjang - here it is:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_drc6bx2m8

Cheers - Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
piper with the cathedral in the background.

How about posting a favourite youtube clip for David, and us all, to enjoy ... ?
If you have your ipad/laptop up and running David, my choice would be :-
THE Pilgrim hymn sung by Maddy Prior.

You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Blessings
Terry

Here are a couple based on David's posts earlier in the week about his trip and his kilt.

First Barbara Dickson's 'Caravans'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcYfRysceeQ
And 'Highland Cathedral' to stir the blood of any Scot (although it was written by two German Scotophiles!)

God bless you and your work, David!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
David something to keep your spirits up and your trust in the camino:) Brilliant Idea Jennie my lady of the Southern Isle.;)

Listen to the words and God Bless you David.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
David something to keep your spirits up and your trust in the camino:) Brilliant Idea Jennie my lady of the Southern Isle.;) Listen to the words and God Bless you David.
Dear Pilgrim B - thank you, I have just played the video - it has made my Sunday. In fact I think I will load it onto my MP3 player - it could easily become the anthem the Camino. Cheers:):cool:

Pilgrim B - I forgot to mention the words - "I have a dream, a song to sing, to help me cope with anything.." Anyone who doubts the music abilities of Benny & Biorne - just read, sing to yourself and you will understand. Thanks again. Jenny - a great suggestion and thanks. M

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Here are a couple based on David's posts earlier in the week about his trip and his kilt.

First Barbara Dickson's 'Caravans'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcYfRysceeQ
And 'Highland Cathedral' to stir the blood of any Scot (although it was written by two German Scotophiles!)

God bless you and your work, David!
Who would not stop in their very tracks, turn and doff hat at these men of Scotland... tell me, if they do not stop they are dead souls indeed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
AAwwww - how sweet you all are! You have quite choked me up. I am on a dongle with very limited access but will play all those vids when I get connected properly.

Well, I'm still here .... is rural France so all garages closed from Friday eve until Monday - tomorrow the breakdown company will take the car and caravan and me to a garage that they think may be able to repair the car, they have to phone round first - the electronic engine management system has developed a fault - and the car is an English Rover, 14 years old - not many garages in Les Landes will have the computer equipment to plug in and read the system to be able to repair it. These people have been kind, set up the caravan in a secluded corner of their huge yard, provided free electricity, there is water to hand - all is well.

I am open to what happens next - it turns out that my uk recovery insurance covers me for the tow off the motorway and also all the moving me around and if the car cannot be repaired in France will repatriate the caravan, but not the car! as the market value would be less than the cost of the repair - interesting possibilities there. I am hoping that it is merely one of the sensors that has failed and can be replaced. My previous motors didn't have any of this electronic stuff and I could fix anything if I had the tools, but with this there is nothing I can do, which left me feeling a little powerless at first, as you would expect.

But, here's the thing - I broke down in a service station on the motorway as I parked so that was so much better than being on the motorway itself. The breakdown company are based in a hamlet of a few houses, Lavignolle which is on the Camino from Tours, some 35k south of Bordeaux in Les Landes - and the street is Route de Compostelle!
So I am on the Camino! - unfortunately no pilgrims - ah well. Yesterday I cycled along the dead straight main road - surely an old Roman road - to the nearest real village, Le Barp, and went into the church to light candles and so on, only to find that the church is dedicated to St Jacques and behind the altar is a larger than life sized statue of St James (St Jacques in France) as a pilgrim, with staff, gourd, and shell. Crucifix in the middle and a statue of Mary on the other side .....

So, working on my normal mind-set that nothing is random, nothing happens without a reason, whether it is internal or external, I am content here, waiting, and processing my thoughts - perhaps this interlude of stillness is something that I needed - who knows these things.

All is well

Buen Camino ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
- the electronic engine management system has developed a fault - and the car is an English Rover, 14 years old -
Hi David,
We ran a Rover of about the same vintage for a few years. It "broke down" at home - refused to start. Had it fixed and a few years later "broke down" on a caravan site - refused to start. On both occasions it was a faulty coil in the ignition system. A relatively cheap fix but not easy to diagnose without the computer system. If your French garage can get the part it may be worth doing before you give up and abandon the beast! The great fault with the old Rover engines is an aluminium cylinder head over a cast iron block! They expand at different rates, leading to head gasket problems and overheating, which leads to ignition coil failure . . . .
Give me the old Moggie Minor anytime :D
So pleased that you are philosophical about it all.
Blessings
Terry

S

Yes, @TerryB this is one great hymn - so inspired. Modern translation - "hobgoblins" = bedbugs, "foul fiends" = ?

I will pass on "Hobgoblins" but "Lion" = dog! Large enough, the right colour and usually chained as in John Bunyan's book!
Blessings
Tio Tel

Your true home will be where your heart desires most to be, to do and to act,,to be...
love will bring you home, be it some far horizon calling , the call so hard that tears are drawn from your soul
or some hearth in home, where your hearts desire lives
some are torn between worlds
some live in two worlds
some are at home in the world
Be Blessed and Godspeed on your wonderful Journey!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Terry - ah, if it was a petrol engine and the coil! But no, it is diesel and the electronic engine management system, specifically the unit connected to the injector pump I think ... but you cannot even test this stuff unless you have the right equipment to plug into it - not like the old days at all .. some years ago I was the asst operations manager and diesel engineer for a holiday narrowboat hire fleet (canal boats) .. easy peasy - everything bolted together and one could just take the engines apart and fix them - but now? crikey! nasa ain't in it!

But, came across a couple of places on my cycle ride today ... in the nearby village of Le Barp, four bars, two restaurants, one church, one tattoo parlour (honestly) and this hairdressing salon - not sure but I think it is set up for pilgrims wanting to look good in the shared bathrooms and getting in and out of top bunks ....

france 008.jpg

Ha ha ha! No, I don't think 'Fanny of Le Barp' has the same ring about it as 'Louis Vuitton Paris', for example.

nasa ain't in it!
You remind me of a trip to Cape Canaveral a few years ago, when our hire car broke down in the car park as the place was closing up. A rather fierce woman came out in her buggy to chase us off, but when she realised we couldn't go anywhere called out the mechanics. And no, NASA couldn't get this Chevrolet to move. The woman ended up being an angel though, and invited us into the staff canteen while we waited for the new car to come from Kissimmee. All the staff were happy to talk about their experiences of astronauts past and present. :cool:

David Said:

But, came across a couple of places on my cycle ride today ... in the nearby village of Le Barp, four bars, two restaurants, one church, one tattoo parlour (honestly) and this hairdressing salon -

David, after throwing down a cold one or two, did you have time to get a tatttoo ? :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
David said ...
"and this hairdressing salon - not sure but I think it is set up for pilgrims wanting to look good in the shared bathrooms and getting in and out of top bunks ...."

I'm going to be in the biggest trouble but I just can't resist saying that a scallop shell design shouldn't be too much of a problem, however, a waymarker star or arrow might be! You might need to get the village's tattoo artist in to help sketch the designs! :D

David said ...
"and this hairdressing salon - not sure but I think it is set up for pilgrims wanting to look good in the shared bathrooms and getting in and out of top bunks ...."

I'm going to be in the biggest trouble but I just can't resist saying that a scallop shell design shouldn't be too much of a problem, however, a waymarker star or arrow might be! You might need to get the village's tattoo artist in to help sketch the designs! :D
Naughty naughty Jenny.

I think the words Ow la la as opposed to Ooh la la would be more appropriate then, Non? ;)

I was wondering where darling David disappeared to......
Here's a toe tapper for you dear man xox

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Naughty naughty Jenny.

I think the words Ow la la as opposed to Ooh la la would be more appropriate then, Non? ;)

I was wondering where darling David disappeared to......
Here's a toe tapper for you dear man xox
Hola Kati - I was trying to work out an appropriate and PC (politically correct for those not up to Oz English) response to MS J so thank you for your efforts. Still trying to find an appropriate you-tube clip with an Oz focus (maybe Pub with No Beer might work)???
David - its now Tuesday afternoon here in Eastern Oz so hopefully you are getting a lot closer to getting back on the road. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh how stupid of me not to think of this first....I am getting on in my years David.

A few pelvic thrusts, and pre-Jane Fonda-esque aerobics (you need to check it!), hot legs, women aplenty....oh yeah...and boots....loads of them.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back