• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Musical Instruments on the Camino

Steeltown Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Tunnel Le Puy Via De Plata Ingles Primitivo Norte Frances Portuguese Fisterra Muxia hospitalero
Very interested in hearing about the musical instruments other pilgrims brought on their camino. What did you bring,,,flute?, fiddle?, drum?... please tell. And how did it work out? I brought a guitar and you can read about it at http://steeltownpilgrimamusicalpath.blogspot.ca

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know a couple of people brought drums and some pilgrims like hearing them but others were quite annoyed with drumming and felt that the "noise" was intrusive requesting the hospitlaro's make them stop--so I would say no to drums that they would not be a good idea unless they are played some where other than an alburgue.

I know a couple of people brought drums and some pilgrims like hearing them but others were quite annoyed with drumming and felt that the "noise" was intrusive requesting the hospitlaro's make them stop--so I would say no to drums that they would not be a good idea unless they are played some where other than an alburgue.

Can't see drums being very popular

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No Drums were not popular--but someone did bring a string instrument and I recall hearing a recorder which was nice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I met a pilgrim in Logroño with a didgeridoo strapped to his pack. I didn't see him again after that, but I'm curious if the didgeridoo made it all the way to Santiago.

The voice is the lightest and easiest instrument to carry. I use it all the time, though only if it won't intrude on people. My repertoire is classical arias, hymns and old music (as in very!) and the occasional folk song. Janet

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I met a pilgrim in Logroño with a didgeridoo strapped to his pack. I didn't see him again after that, but I'm curious if the didgeridoo made it all the way to Santiago.
Sure didn't see one of those! Just recalled I saw a tin whistle on the Frances--now that's a little easier to bring along.

A father and son from the States in fall 2012 each brought their bag pipes. It was a treat at Eunate when they brought them out. The pipes went all the way to Santiago in their packs.

I met a real colorful soul walking into Astorga , walking in blue Doc Martins playing a ukelele..
We walked the day together and how I enjoyed his playing as he walked.

A father and son from the States in fall 2012 each brought their bag pipes. It was a treat at Eunate when they brought them out. The pipes went all the way to Santiago in their packs.

I met a real colorful soul walking into Astorga , walking in blue Doc Martins playing a ukelele..
We walked the day together and how I enjoyed his playing as he walked.
Wow, you touched on a lot of personal things there! Love bag pipes.... I've been talking about Eunate for weeks ( for various reasons ). I have several pairs of Docs, including a rare silver pair I'm wearing in that video on my blog--extremely comfy but no way I'm bringing them on the camino. Finally, a uke will be my next musical purchase. Loved your post!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Steeltown Pilgrim,
I'm so glad you referenced your blog here...what a treat to read about your curiosity that day and finding a soul brother on the Camino where the same language was not needed to communicate. Great story!...my sons and I just watched your video too, we all agreed we wished we would run into you on the Le Puy route that we plan on doing next fall...:)

When I came home from my Camino last year I bought my three oldest sons Ukeleles (not certain I spelled that correctly) but they don't know whereto begin with them...

I bought a uke a while back thinking it would be good for a camino. Cheap and light, if a bit awkward to carry. Needless to say I haven't learnt it yet but there are tutorials on youtube. :)

Steeltown Pilgrim,
I'm so glad you referenced your blog here...what a treat to read about your curiosity that day and finding a soul brother on the Camino where the same language was not needed to communicate. Great story!...my sons and I just watched your video too, we all agreed we wished we would run into you on the Le Puy route that we plan on doing next fall...:)

When I came home from my Camino last year I bought my three oldest sons Ukeleles (not certain I spelled that correctly) but they don't know whereto begin with them...
That's very kind - thank you very much. It would be nice to meet with you and your sons. I haven't confirmed plans for 2014 yet, but I am thinking Aragones, parts of Frances , Salvador then Primitivo, probably in the spring. The Le Puy sounds nice though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My camino dad had a ukelele with him, it made for some fantastic evenings of singing and music - he had us all sign the ukelele as well. It was a really lovely thing to have, I would definitely recommend an instrument. Hearing certain songs now makes me cry with how much I miss the camino!

I didn't bring any but I met people with ukulele, guitar, harmonica and a didgeridoo. The last one was carried by an Austrian guy from Vienna that stepped out from his front door there and started to walk if I got it right. He had a really heavy backpack (a green Fjällräven Kajka i think 125 l) and he walked so amazingly fast. Nice guy, never had the oppertuity to here him play, I don't know if he played on the way he said he would play when arriving to SdC.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Brazilian/American couple treated us to a wonderful evening at A. do Brasil. She has an angelic voice and he has magic fingers on the guitar.

Ben Nimmo walked the Camino from Canterbury playing his trombone. You can read about in his book, "Pilgrim Snail, Busking to Santiago".

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.