• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

musicial instruments?

fiddletree

Hi! I will be hiking the CF starting the last week of April, and I am wondering what other dedicated musicians have done while hiking the trail. I am mainly a fiddle player but play just about every other stringed instrument, and have a hard time imagining 5 weeks without playing music (it is how I center myself and keep my self happy and sane!). Does anyone bring instruments with them on the trail? Is there usually time to play? I am thinking of getting an inexpensive, lightweight mandolin to bring with me- I have plenty of extra space in my pack, and don't *think* the weight will make that much difference, although I'm sure some will say otherwise, considering how much I will enjoy having it with me.

Thoughts?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have you read "As I walked out one Midsummer's morning" by Laurie Lee? His walk around Spain with no money and an old violin just before the civil war? A delight!

I carry a recorder as it is plastic so almost unbreakable, light and small. I just use it to errmm .. re-centre myself I suppose, but only when I am well away from anyone else (or bears or wolves).

I wish I could play little instruments like that! Then life would be much easier. I have a bamboo flute but am quite incapable of making anything other than unpleasant sounds come from it, so I think that needs to be left at home.

No, I haven't read that book but I will certainly look it up. Sounds like my kind of read!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
music

I saw a group of musicians from the USA who bought all their untruments with them and played Jazz every night! Fair play to them but the weight of the intruments was really getting them down! One of their packs was 18kg!

Hmm... I saw a guy starting from St. Jean with a bass drum who lasted all of a day! I'd say leave it at home, to be honest... Don't wanna pee in your corn flakes, but it's difficult enough at times, without the added weight!

:)

Weight

Weight is, of course, the great issue. This is why I appreciate the fact that I sing. It takes time to memorize tunes, but I have enough that it gets me through the day. It walso is great inspiration during the difficult times on the trail.

Instruments are a great luxury. I recall one account from the American Civil War where a soldier remarked that his friends would have cast off their souls if it would have lightened their load any more. Others threw out the Joker in their decks of cards for the same reason.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a bamboo flute but am quite incapable of making anything other than unpleasant sounds come from it, so I think that needs to be left at home.

Ah - that's why I only play when I'm nowhere near anyone - most likely sounds appalling to other people but soothes me. Bring the flute if you will be playing alone - bring something like your violin if you intend to serenade.

eh, I don't get joy out of my poor attempts at playing the flute so I don't think I'll be bringing it.

very much wish I could bring my fiddle but I wouldn't want anything to happen to it, plus with the case it weighs a lot. Mandolin doesn't need a case and weighs not much more than a fiddle, and while it is not quite as good for serenading as a fiddle, seems like a better option. I think I'm gonna risk the extra weight, I guess I can always post it ahead to santiago if I get sick of carrying it. I am also hoping while in n. spain I can try to pick up on local styles of music, as I absolutely love the music from that part of the country (celtic-gypsy-ish)

woo hoo! I am positively giddy with excitement about this trip.

When I was on the way last year I took a mouth organ but never got round to playing it. I was completely submerged in the camino lifestyle. I wouldn't have taken my fiddle; it would have been too fragile without a case and that would have been heavy and clumsy. I agree that a mandolin makes more sense - you can get very slim travelling mandolins though they don't sound too good.

At Cebreiro I met a young Irish lad who was carrying a saxophone in a large plastic case. He had no money and had hoped to busk his way along. It wasn't working!!!

Have fun

Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back