• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Musing on the small matter of back pain, the when and why...

S

SatĂ­rico

Happy New Year 2016!

My camino plan for 2015 had to abort due to the sudden death of my father, so it's fingers-crossed for this year and maybe I'll make it to Muxia for the first time.

While I wait for the moment to present itself, I'm musing on the phenomenon of back pain. I don't get it: why could I walk 25, 30, even 35km per day over the course of a month, over mountain and meseta, with no problems whatsoever, but a few days in Bruges over Christmas, no backpack, wandering the streets is enough to induce aches, shooting pains and stiffness in the wrong places? I remember the only time I had similar trouble on my camino frances (2014) was my day off in Burgos.

Is this psychological or a matter of feng shui?

Perhaps I've just let myself go :( - does anyone else recognise this situation?

Philip

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can be the same - for me I feel that my backpack waist belt acts like a brace and supports my lower back not allowing it to move and therefore inflame. Perhaps a physio might not agree but that's how it seems for me

... I'm musing on the phenomenon of back pain. I don't get it: why could I walk 25, 30, even 35km per day over the course of a month, over mountain and meseta, with no problems whatsoever, but a few days in Bruges over Christmas, no backpack, wandering the streets is enough to induce aches, shooting pains and stiffness in the wrong places? ...

A properly fitted backpack can actually correct a bad posture/support a good posture. Also the happiness of traveling has a psychological influence on how you bear yourself. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Same here. I'm seeing the Physio every week now :(

What I have gleaned so far is.....

Walking is good for my back. With the right footwear and preferably not on asphalt/concrete.

Sitting is a killer for my back.....

It all comes down to posture.

My physio recommended this book, which I am trying to follow.

Treat Your Own Back by Robin McKenzie

I also just found this website, based on his techniques.

Might be worth a look.... http://www.treatyourownback.com/subscriber/

Walking is good for my back. With the right footwear and preferably not on asphalt/concrete.

Thanks for the tip, Robo. I do my stretches each day, with varying degrees of enthusiasm. This thread gives me an easy resolution for 2016: start walking again!

It may be the backpack, perhaps also using trekking sticks - or maybe the hard albergue beds. But I agree, something good happens.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It may be the backpack, perhaps also using trekking sticks - or maybe the hard albergue beds. But I agree, something good happens.
Now in my late 60's I do suffer with lower back issues at times.

Walking always makes it feel better, but it is vital to ensure my pack is not too heavy and is properly adjusted to carry the weight on the waist and not on the shoulders.

I also need a firm mattress so most Albergue beds are ideal. ;)

I found that any back pain on the Camino was easily cured by sufficient rehydration of the appropriate kind. Maybe your back was reminding you that the market sold such hydrational products and it was time to sample them? ;)

Make your abdominal muscles work for you, for they are nature's corset supporting your back. Make sure your abs are braced in everything you do, especially as you walk and they will work for you. Also keep them strong with a few simple exercises. Don't over-arch your back, either. Also i think walking in "ordinary" footwear on hard pavements is v hard on the back, and jars it. Sorry to lecture - I used to work with the NHS taking people for exercise!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cobblestones and constantly reajusting your body because of them. On the Camino I pop in a daily Voltaren slow release as a prophylactic as well as a third or half of cyclobenzaprine, a muscle relaxant, at bed time.

I find that morning stretches (including 'hovers' and pushups) make for a strong back. When you get the chance to sit, good posture is important. Loading the back pack correctly can make a difference too. Voltaren is very effective but watch that you don't get side-effects like diarrhea (as I do... not good when you are walking in the middle of no-where).

I've got two tin hips, and have had a 'Bad Back' since age 16.
One 50g Voltaren first thing every morning with 600ml (my water bottle) of water, gets me hydrated, medicated, and in a half hour I've loosened up and am ready to face the Way.
If I am sore at the end of the day I have no hesitation in sinking another to ensure I get a good nights sleep. It doesn't happen often.
There seems little doubt that walking strengthens back muscles.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
And let's not forget that voltaren comes in its original "quick release" form, which for some people may upset the stomach, but also, and most commonly given in Spain, a slow release form which helps those with sensitive stomachs. If in doubt, ask the pharmacist for the slow release. Typical dosage is 75 mg once or twice a day.

I broke my back in 1995 and had 2 surgeries, but I still have consistent dull pain and the nerves are messed up at times. I have lived with it these years and will continue too. Can't let that stop me, I must keep going.
Ultreya

I broke my back in 1995 and had 2 surgeries, but I still have consistent dull pain and the nerves are messed up at times. I have lived with it these years and will continue too. Can't let that stop me, I must keep going.
Ultreya
There are a number of companies that can help you with your backpack should you need them, including Correos now. Do ehat you meed to be safe.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anyone wear any kind of back support on the trail?

@Philip347 The Beloved and I both suffer the same symptoms. We have named it "Museum Pain". It occurs in Art Galleries, Cathedrals and even the queue for the Pilgrims Office. And no, can't offer a cure. Though keeping on the move, making those small pelvic rotations that would get you evicted from Wimbledon, stretches and bends from the waist at regular intervals do help. My chiropractor's advice is "keep moving". Its that slow shuffle, stop, shuffle, fail to stand properly upright, shuffle, stop that does it for us. Walking the roads with a pack is a breeze: queuing for airport security is a hurricane.

Yup, I'm very familiar with "museum pain". I regularly get lower back pain when I shuffle around too many museums whereas I rarely get it when I'm hiking with a backpack. I find if I bend over and stretch, it helps, as does tilting my pelvic bones up & forward (tuck butt in). This leads me to believe that the weight of backpack keeps my pelvis in a more aligned position, that when I'm shuffling around a museum I must get a 'swayback'. Which also leads me to think that I need to work on my abdominal muscles as its your core that supports good posture.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Happy New Year 2016!

My camino plan for 2015 had to abort due to the sudden death of my father, so it's fingers-crossed for this year and maybe I'll make it to Muxia for the first time.

While I wait for the moment to present itself, I'm musing on the phenomenon of back pain. I don't get it: why could I walk 25, 30, even 35km per day over the course of a month, over mountain and meseta, with no problems whatsoever, but a few days in Bruges over Christmas, no backpack, wandering the streets is enough to induce aches, shooting pains and stiffness in the wrong places? I remember the only time I had similar trouble on my camino frances (2014) was my day off in Burgos.

Is this psychological or a matter of feng shui?

Perhaps I've just let myself go :( - does anyone else recognise this situation?

Philip
My (untrained) two bob's worth....

Possibly a matter of posture - I have had back problems on occasions over the last 35 years, fortunately not on the Camino...

I find that my back gives me grief during a day in a museum or art gallery but not while I am on directed walking. I put this down to posture - directed walking keeps my back stable (despite or because of the backpack) whereas sauntering around an art gallery or museum means that my back is not necessarily stable as I turn around, takes short steps, etc., and therefore more exposed to stress...

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.