• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Must I carry a backpack?

viv1959

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to commence late May 2014 - Camino Frances
Hello, I have recently joined this forum.I am planning to walk, end of May or early June 2014.

My problem is I have a long history of neck and shoulder muscle sprains, bursitis etc (you get the picture) and of course my 'delicate' age of 54 and years of lifting as a nurse don't help. I really want (need) to do this walk, but I 'know' my body.

So I have heard that you can send your luggage on to your next town and just carry a day pack. Or would the sight of me claiming my suitcase make me an outcast in the eyes of those who carried a pack all day? Or should I take a backpack (not carry it), to fit in and toss it at the end - although that feels deceptive. Oh my goodness does that last statement smack of lost confidence or what? (One of my reasons for walking)

Does anyone know how this works (if you are not part of an organised tour).

Any helpful comments will be greatly received. Also I am a Brisbane girl and would love to hear from any locals who may be traveling around the same time. Cheers - Viv

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Plenty of people did it when I was walking last year. The general complaint was that you were tied to a specific finishing point that day and occasionally you might want to walk further or less or spend the night with friends.

I think it's pretty sad when people look down on walkers using such services. If it's the choice between using Jacotrans or not being able to do it then so what? Or even if you can carry a pack and choose not to? So what? Not everyone is going there to be a martyr, we all have our own aims. There will be people who will inevitably look down on it but would you want to spend time with someone who was that intolerant? The vast majority of people won't care. And quite rightly so.

I'm sure I've read something about certain albergues (state owned maybe?) that were not too happy taking walkers using transport services. Don't know though, may just be a rumour.

Hola and welcome to the forum.

The only rule to the Camino is that there are no rule.
It is your pilgrimage and only you know what is best for you.
It is a long walk for anyone and ones physical condition should be taken into that account.

Bring a day pack for food, water, rain gear, cloths, etc. so you will manage to walk for 5-6 hours in different weathers.
Use the different services to send your luggage ahead to the town you anticipate to arrive at.
I have not personally done this, but several threads on this forum state, that although one is not able to reach the end destination, the luggage will find its way to your actual end point.
More experienced members surely can elaborate on this, but I copy past from another thread so you can see what has been written:

"Express Bouricott (http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html) does baggage transfer to various points from SJPDP to Burguete. You do NOT need to know where are you sleeping that night to do baggage transfer (a common misconception). You just need to know which town are you aiming for on that day. Express uses Hotel La Posada in Roncesvalles as a storage point where people can pick-up and go wherever they want to. A LOT of people use baggage transfer the first day just because it is a challenging (albeit doable...) stage if you are going all the way SJPDP-Roncesvalles. Express often provides a small racksak if you choose to transfer your backpack on this first day. You can email them or simply call them the day before, tell them where to pick-up and transfer and leave the bag with 8 Euros in an envelope.

I do agree with previous poster that if the weather is good and you are feeling OK, try to press on to Roncesvalles. I actually saw people on the Valcarlos Route on my way from Pamplona to SJPDP and I remembered thinking that route looks dangerous because it was mostly on paved, curvy road. I would take a safety (yellow/bright orange) jacket if I was taking that route. q/
Olivares/q"

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Most municipal and parochial albergues do not accept pilgrims who do not have a pack. However, there are a lot of alternatives even without them -- private albergues, hoteles, pensiones, and hostales. Pilgrims who have carried their backpack can resent pilgrims who do not, primarily if they lose a bed to them! So if you stick with the "rules", no one will be bothered by you using a transport service.

Buen camino.

You should carry a backpack; the weight and contents is what is solely at your discretion. If you choose to use a baggage transfer service you should still have a small backpack with you to carry water, some snacks, basic medical kit, and whatever else you would need for the daily walk (maps, camera, whatever...). I have use Jacotrans and they are absolutely wondeful to work with (http://www.jacotrans.com/p/english.html). The caveat of transferring is that you will have to specify, at a minimum, to which town you are walking that day. Jacotrans has a brochure list of all the pick-up/transfer points they service. There are no municipal albergues listed so the idea that people transfer to albergues so they can secure a bed ahead of others is absolutely not true; hardly any albergue accepts baggage transfer and the very few that do will NOT assigned a bed until the baggage is claimed. The service is average 7-8 Euros/day and so long as the baggage is at the pick-up point by 8am you do NOT need to be present for the service to pick-up your bag. You can leave a payment in an envelope tied to the bag. I have used Jacotrans many times and I have never met any of their employees. Their email and phone services are very professional and efficient. I dropped off the bag, get on my way, and the bag has ALWAYS been delivered with not one issue whatsoever.

The fact that despite your pain, aches, and physical limitations you still want to undertake this pilgrimage when you could very well be at Costa del Sol sunbathing makes you more of a Pilgrim to me than many "spring chickens" I saw carrying their backpack while leaving dust behind sprinting for a bed at the Camino. So, whoever looks at the load on your back and makes judgements about your Camino basically needs to take lessons from you. Simple as that.

Hi Viv! I walked Sept./Oct. 2013, and although I did not send my bag ahead, I made plenty of Camino friends who did. I think it is wonderful that such a service exists for Pilgrims who have a preexisting condition, or injure themselves on the trail or have an old injury "rear it's head" while walking. I hope someone on the Forum who used the service can chime in, but from what I saw, it was as easy as calling the service the night before and filling out a "tag" for your bag which the Albergue will have for you. I know you plan on sending your bag ahead, but one thing I learned from the Camino was, prepare for the unexpected! (I was CERTAIN I would stay in private rooms as I am a horrible sleeper, but I stayed in Albergues more often than not!). Maybe pack your gear in a very light backpack "just in case" you want to carry it, and of course bring a day pack too. (I loved my "Osprey Tallon 33", less than 2 lbs. empty). You will not be seen as an "outcast" and you will not be alone in sending it ahead. Enjoy your adventure!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Viv
StuartM was just a trifle faster with his reply, I could not have said it better! Forwarding your pack is easy and reliable, send it to to any of the albergues at your next destination; if it is full on arrival or if you don't like the place, just take your pack and go elsewhere. Carry a day-pack for your essentials and enjoy walking, it's you Camino! You will be amongst many who do likewise.
There are different services in different areas but you don't need to worry, they'll tell you at the albergues what you need to do; starting in SJPP there is a French service, as from Roncesvalles to Sarria, it's Jacotrans charging you 7€ per leg, then another one to Santiago for even less.
For practical reasons I would find a back-pack easier to carry from one to another albergue or hostel than schlepping a suitcase, trolley or spinner noisily over those gobble stones prevailing in many villages and towns. And yes, it is less conspicuous too, since you worry about this.
Coming a long way to Europe, you may want to carry extra clothes; pack those in a suitcase and send it on to Santiago direct; various postings here give you more details, or contact Ivar, the administrator of this site; he offers storage in Santiago. Sending it from SJPP (France) may pose some problems though, in which case you may decide to start your Camino in Pamplona, from where you can use the postal services. The other advantage of Pamplona is that you can reach it cheaply from many cities, look up www.vueling.com.

Buen Camino,
Pierre aka Don Pedro

PS to StuartM
I forwarded my pack on about a third of the way between Pamplona and Santiago on my walk this September and I found that all hospitaleros were very kind and helpful. (I would not be surprised if they'd actually get a commission from Jacotrans etc.) Once, I forgot my straw hat in the upstairs room of a private albergue and it was sent along with my pack!

I would advise anyone with a history of injury problems like me, even those currently feeling fit & well, to firstly break the journey from St Jean to Roncesvalles into two stages, and also to send their luggage ahead.
Reason 1. It takes away the worry of can I? or can't I? It makes the journey more enjoyable!
Reason 2. The scenery makes this wander up over the Pyrenees one of the most memorable parts of the Camino. It's stunning.
Reason 3. Upon arrival in Roncesvalles you will know for sure that you can handle any terrain that unfolds along the Camino.
This advice applies whether you take the Route Napoleon or the Valcarlos Route from St Jean to Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino
Gerard

Hola and welcome to the forum.

The only rule to the Camino is that there are no rule.
It is your pilgrimage and only you know what is best for you.
It is a long walk for anyone and ones physical condition should be taken into that account.

Bring a day pack for food, water, rain gear, cloths, etc. so you will manage to walk for 5-6 hours in different weathers.
Use the different services to send your luggage ahead to the town you anticipate to arrive at.
I have not personally done this, but several threads on this forum state, that although one is not able to reach the end destination, the luggage will find its way to your actual end point.
More experienced members surely can elaborate on this, but I copy past from another thread so you can see what has been written:

"Express Bouricott (http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html) does baggage transfer to various points from SJPDP to Burguete. You do NOT need to know where are you sleeping that night to do baggage transfer (a common misconception). You just need to know which town are you aiming for on that day. Express uses Hotel La Posada in Roncesvalles as a storage point where people can pick-up and go wherever they want to. A LOT of people use baggage transfer the first day just because it is a challenging (albeit doable...) stage if you are going all the way SJPDP-Roncesvalles. Express often provides a small racksak if you choose to transfer your backpack on this first day. You can email them or simply call them the day before, tell them where to pick-up and transfer and leave the bag with 8 Euros in an envelope.

I do agree with previous poster that if the weather is good and you are feeling OK, try to press on to Roncesvalles. I actually saw people on the Valcarlos Route on my way from Pamplona to SJPDP and I remembered thinking that route looks dangerous because it was mostly on paved, curvy road. I would take a safety (yellow/bright orange) jacket if I was taking that route. q/
Olivares/q"

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Thank you this is ve

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all the helpful tips. I was feeling that maybe I would start from Roncesvalles, but all your words have made me think I can manage
You should carry a backpack; the weight and contents is what is solely at your discretion. If you choose to use a baggage transfer service you should still have a small backpack with you to carry water, some snacks, basic medical kit, and whatever else you would need for the daily walk (maps, camera, whatever...). I have use Jacotrans and they are absolutely wondeful to work with (http://www.jacotrans.com/p/english.html). The caveat of transferring is that you will have to specify, at a minimum, to which town you are walking that day. Jacotrans has a brochure list of all the pick-up/transfer points they service. There are no municipal albergues listed so the idea that people transfer to albergues so they can secure a bed ahead of others is absolutely not true; hardly any albergue accepts baggage transfer and the very few that do will NOT assigned a bed until the baggage is claimed. The service is average 7-8 Euros/day and so long as the baggage is at the pick-up point by 8am you do NOT need to be present for the service to pick-up your bag. You can leave a payment in an envelope tied to the bag. I have used Jacotrans many times and I have never met any of their employees. Their email and phone services are very professional and efficient. I dropped off the bag, get on my way, and the bag has ALWAYS been delivered with not one issue whatsoever.

The fact that despite your pain, aches, and physical limitations you still want to undertake this pilgrimage when you could very well be at Costa del Sol sunbathing makes you more of a Pilgrim to me than many "spring chickens" I saw carrying their backpack while leaving dust behind sprinting for a bed at the Camino. So, whoever looks at the load on your back and makes judgements about your Camino basically needs to take lessons from you. Simple as that.
Thank you for all your information and words of encouragement.

Thanks for all the help out there. Have just purchased my boots (need to start my training slow and early). Pretty excited and inspired by your words of support and wisdom.

Hello, I have recently joined this forum.I am planning to walk, end of May or early June 2014.

My problem is I have a long history of neck and shoulder muscle sprains, bursitis etc (you get the picture) and of course my 'delicate' age of 54 and years of lifting as a nurse don't help. I really want (need) to do this walk, but I 'know' my body.

So I have heard that you can send your luggage on to your next town and just carry a day pack. Or would the sight of me claiming my suitcase make me an outcast in the eyes of those who carried a pack all day? Or should I take a backpack (not carry it), to fit in and toss it at the end - although that feels deceptive. Oh my goodness does that last statement smack of lost confidence or what? (One of my reasons for walking)

Any helpful comments will be greatly received. Also I am a Brisbane girl and would love to hear from any locals who may be traveling around the same time. Cheers - Viv
I walked the camino this year in May/June and because of injuries and being not so fit I used Jacotrans for most of the way - it was a choice between not walking or enjoying the most amazing walk (without a full backpack!) Don't feel guilty. Its YOUR journey. I also don't understand why people think that you will walk faster and get to albergues before the backpack walkers - I was one of the last people to arrive everyday because I enjoyed every step of MY WAY. Ps I would still transport the rest of your luggage in a backpack - there might be a short day that you feel you want to carry your pack or you might want to move to diff accommodation on some days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Most municipal and parochial albergues do not accept pilgrims who do not have a pack. However, there are a lot of alternatives even without them -- private albergues, hoteles, pensiones, and hostales. Pilgrims who have carried their backpack can resent pilgrims who do not, primarily if they lose a bed to them! So if you stick with the "rules", no one will be bothered by you using a transport service.

Buen camino.

Yes, but there is a difference, that nearly every hospitalero is aware of, between those not carrying their packs for convenience and those not carrying them for disability reasons.

---

viv, Olivares advice is good -- even though you might send most of your gear by transport service, you definitely should carry at least a small pack with you, for the absolute bare essentials.

Learning the Spanish for "I have back injuries" & etc. prior to leaving would also be a good idea, and I'd suggest carrying a copy of a medical certificate with you at all times, and preferably with Spanish translation.

Someone strong enough to carry most of your gear for you would be better, though not necessarily feasible for you -- as it would be provide better freedom from having to choose your destination in the morning prior to departure every day.

---

Finally, to answer your question viv, everyone should carry their pack, except for those who can't. Those who cannot carry one mustn't.

Hello viv,

Not everyone who walked the camino is in good health. There are many peregrinos who are afflicted with ailments.

Do not pay any attention to what others are saying. This is your camino. Whether you are carrying a heavy rucksack or a small backpack, you are still a peregrinos. You have already start your camino by making a determination to walk the camino.

I have seem the joy of peregrinos who have doubts about them making it to santiago at the pilgrim office. And i will tell you, you will make it to santiago with pride and a successful camino.

Buen camino and god bless.

Yes, take a backpack, not a suitcase.

You have a legitimate reason for not walking with a full pack, so don't feel bad about using a service to transfer your pack ahead of you. You will still have a great Camino.

You may feel "dorky" if, at the end of the day, you wheel your "carry-on" into your albergue for the night, which is why I suggest taking a backpack instead of a a suitcase. At least you'll look the part, LOL!!

Seriously, don't worry about using a service.

The difference between lugging a suitcase up the stairs and lugging a backpack up the stairs is negligible, I feel. In either case, you'll want to keep your pack weight to a minimum and you can find much advice on this forum about that.

I think your greater concern will be to make sure your knees stay in good shape. Make sure you take hiking poles and use them as needed (you'll know when they're needed). PLEASE don't drag them along the ground as you walk.

At age 54, you will find pilgrims decades older than you walking next to you and will find many friendly faces encouraging you. If you take a backpack, you will have the option of walking occasionally with it on, as you get stronger during your journey, which you will.

Congratulations on deciding to do this!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Buen camino.

Here I must disagree. The general rule is that you must walk or bike (or travel on a horse) to get a bed not that you must carry your pack.
Of course I can not speak about every municipal and parochial albergue but I was a hospitalera in one of each and we made no distinction between pilgrims and in fact usually did not know if someone was using a transportation service. And to tell you the truth, I don't think that it's any of my business. I remember that both the parochial albergue in Grañón and the municipal albergue in El Burgo Ranero had a stack of Jacotrains envelopes.

What is important to realize is that hospitaleros in municipal or parochial albergues are not responsible for the pick up or drop off of packs. This does not mean that we will not help out when/if possible but this should not be expected as most non-private albergues close between 8 a.m. and 12-16:00 p.m. Pilgrims must organize this themselves when speaking to the contact person.

I did read recently that Albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal does not accept pilgrims using transport services.

I stayed at Albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal, and it is true that the notice on the front door stating that they open at 2 PM, also says that they only accept Pilgrims who carry their bag "in most instances", or something like that. In other words I remember thinking that you could present your case. I was with a Pilgrim who had his pack sent ahead to Rabanal and it was left at a private Albergue in the village, he had plenty of time to get it and then secure a bed at Albergue Gaucelmo. BTW, it is a lovely British run facility that has a fireplace where they serve tea at 4 PM!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Finally, to answer your question viv, everyone should carry their pack, except for those who can't. Those who cannot carry one mustn't.

While we chose to carry everything in our pack and did not use the services available. It is nobody else's business how someone conducts their camino. Who cares if a person chooses to forward their bags for any reason?
While it gave us our own reasons to personally feel a huge level of satisfaction to carry everything, other folks may get their satisfaction in entirely different ways.

Edited by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look for advice on slackpacking - there is some stuff on this forum as well as on the internet. I would normally try and get a link for you, but at present the forum is going so slowly for me that it is just frustrating doing much more than replying.

Regards,

I stayed at Albergue Gaucelmo in Rabanal, and it is true that the notice on the front door stating that they open at 2 PM, also says that they only accept Pilgrims who carry their bag "in most instances", or something like that. In other words I remember thinking that you could present your case. I was with a Pilgrim who had his pack sent ahead to Rabanal and it was left at a private Albergue in the village, he had plenty of time to get it and then secure a bed at Albergue Gaucelmo. BTW, it is a lovely British run facility that has a fireplace where they serve tea at 4 PM!

It is true that Albergue Gaucelmo has a sign to the effect that “in most instances” they only accept pilgrims who carry their bag. And yes, I tried to plead my case (saying that I had carried my pack for three weeks before developing tendinitis and having to resort to pack-transportation). They explained to me that, as “foreigners” operating in Spain, they are allowed to do so on the condition that they only accept pilgrims who carry their packs. (I expect this has to do with taking business away from local operators, which rule seems to be fair enough.) They also told me that they had recently unwittingly (my word) accepted a pilgrim who had not carried his pack, and when the powers that be in the village “found out about it” it caused them (Gaucelmo) “all sorts of problems” – problems that they were still in the process of sorting out. I offered to go elsewhere and they were most grateful.

I respectfully suggest that pilgrims comply with the rules which are imposed upon Gaucelmo and not run the risk of causing this wonderful facility to run afoul of the conditions under which it is allowed to operate.

Buen Camino to all.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The biggest downside to separating yourself from your pack is that your flexibility to change plans is reduced but I walked 2300 camino kms in 2013 and met many, many folks who forwarded packs/bags without any sacrifice to the experience.

Tailor YOUR Camino to YOUR abilities and limitations, if YOU feel the need to use a transport service, by all means use one. Find a small pack to carry food, water, and a light rain jacket.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I used the transport service last year and it worked out just fine. Basically each night, I just asked at the Albergue if they would call and arrange for transport for the next day. They were always most accommodating and helpful. I did not have any trouble with being turned away from any Albergue for not carrying the pack. While it is true that we had determined where we were going to stay the next night and called ahead to make reservations, I did not feel that this is any way lessened the experience of the Camino for me. If anything, the whole experience was more prayerful and spiritual and invigorating since I did not have to worry so much about injuring my left foot (I had surgery a few years ago). The challenge of the Camino is walking! Peace and joy to you as you continue your preparations for an experience that will change your life!

Intro to Slackpacking
You've seen unwashed, malnourished through-hikers on the Appalachian Trail. You've heard about the grizzly bear wandering through the backcountry camp. You've encountered backpackers with tons of gear, pots, pans, and a folding stove -- eating some gritty greyish paste and raving about it.

And you want no part of it.

But you love hiking. In fact, nothing suits you more than a day in the wilderness, except perhaps, a day in the wilderness followed by vitello saltimboco in a four-star restaurant. You'd enjoy weeklong expeditions, if only you could jump in a car at the end of the day and head off to a comfortable bed.

Congratulations, you are a confirmed Slackpacker.

"Slackpacking" was originally coined to describe a day's worth of thru-hiking unencumbered by a pack, after which the hiker would hop in a car and drive home -- then drive back some time in the future pick up wherever one left off. The idea was to string together enough of these daytrips to eventually "complete" a much longer trail, without the burden of backpacking. A number of people, for example, "slackpack" the 2,000 mile Appalachian Trail, adding sections like puzzle pieces to their personal trailmap.

Today the definition has expanded, and "slackpacker" has come to represent anyone that fits in between the casual day hiker and the backpacker. On occasion, the slackpacker will indulge in those practices as well, but doesn't make a habit of lengthy backpack trips. As for the typical National Park Service nature loop, the slackpacker prefers to opt for a longer, more difficult trail to avoid the masses.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
one musn't do anything but consider the consequences of whatever one chooses to do and live with them :)

This also goes for backpack/no backpack decisions. If it is important not to stick out bring a pack if that is not a concern bring whatever is preferred.

That being said, I would recommend bringing something small and soft and not falling for the temptation of overpacking.

For me part of the camino is the simplicity and the freedom that comes with having next to no worldly goods to drag me down selfcarried or not.

The rutine of daily laundry and such menial chores.

For practical reasons a softer dufflebag/backpack may be better, easier to stove under beds and small corners than a stiff suitcase and even with transport you will have to carry your gear once in a while....

dougfitz - "slackpacking" is implicitly pejorative and judgemental.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is plenty of evidence that it has lost any earlier negative connotations, and has become a practical way of describing walking with a day pack only. This is, after all, what the OP seems to be proposing as an option to avoid aggravating a existing condition.

I can assure you that I wasn't making any judgement about the OP's proposal - I was merely pointing out a way of finding resources that might have helped understand how to achieve that.

Regards,

I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is plenty of evidence that it has lost any earlier negative connotations, and has become a practical way of describing walking with a day pack only. This is, after all, what the OP seems to be proposing as an option to avoid aggravating a existing condition.

I can assure you that I wasn't making any judgement about the OP's proposal - I was merely pointing out a way of finding resources that might have helped understand how to achieve that.

Regards,

Doug has clarified his earlier post and there should be no further need to take exception to it.

Gently...please.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
only accept pilgrims who carry their packs. (I expect this has to do with taking business away from local operators, which rule seems to be fair enough.) They also told me that they had recently unwittingly (my word) accepted a pilgrim who had not carried his pack, and when the powers that be in the village “found out about it” it caused them (Gaucelmo) “all sorts of problems” – problems that they were still in the process of sorting out. I offered to go elsewhere and they were most grateful.

I respectfully suggest that pilgrims comply with the rules which are imposed upon Gaucelmo and not run the risk of causing this wonderful facility to run afoul of the conditions under which it is allowed to operate.

Buen Camino to all.:)
This is quite true. Also another reason why they open later than the other Albergues in Rabanal ( so as to give the others, who depend on the Albergue as their livelihood to take some of the trade first). When I was hospitalero at Guacelmo, we would often go to the albergue Pilar to check our e-mails, and that was normally where the packs were left if using the forwarding service. We would see the packs lined up and thought " lets hope that none of these try and come to us, instead of using Pilar's Albergue". Anne

Wow, charlesx & annakappa, thank you for clarifying this regarding Guacelmo Albergue. I am very certain the Pilgrim I mentioned had no idea of the complexities around this issue. It's good to know.

Hi Viv! I walked Sept./Oct. 2013, and although I did not send my bag ahead, I made plenty of Camino friends who did. I think it is wonderful that such a service exists for Pilgrims who have a preexisting condition, or injure themselves on the trail or have an old injury "rear it's head" while walking. I hope someone on the Forum who used the service can chime in, but from what I saw, it was as easy as calling the service the night before and filling out a "tag" for your bag which the Albergue will have for you. I know you plan on sending your bag ahead, but one thing I learned from the Camino was, prepare for the unexpected! (I was CERTAIN I would stay in private rooms as I am a horrible sleeper, but I stayed in Albergues more often than not!). Maybe pack your gear in a very light backpack "just in case" you want to carry it, and of course bring a day pack too. (I loved my "Osprey Tallon 33", less than 2 lbs. empty). You will not be seen as an "outcast" and you will not be alone in sending it ahead. Enjoy your adventure!
delighted to see your response. can you reccomedn any bag that would suit as a day bag (ill send the bigger on ahead) thank you x

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used the transport service last year and it worked out just fine. Basically each night, I just asked at the Albergue if they would call and arrange for transport for the next day. They were always most accommodating and helpful. I did not have any trouble with being turned away from any Albergue for not carrying the pack. While it is true that we had determined where we were going to stay the next night and called ahead to make reservations, I did not feel that this is any way lessened the experience of the Camino for me. If anything, the whole experience was more prayerful and spiritual and invigorating since I did not have to worry so much about injuring my left foot (I had surgery a few years ago). The challenge of the Camino is walking! Peace and joy to you as you continue your preparations for an experience that will change your life!
you may never see this but if you do.... since not carrying the pack do you think its best to go straight to Roncessvalles the first day or did you stop at Orisson? ill be sending my bag on also so im trying to decide!

Stay at Orisson every time for me. It's not far but those kms are steep.

I actually carried my rucksack .

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back