• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Must stay

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi guys,

I've revised my itinerary and wondering if you can recommend places to stay for the following;

Auvillar
Castet-Arrouy
La Romieu
Condom
Lamothe
Nogaro
Aire-sur-l'Adour
Miramont-Sensacq
Arzacq-Arraziguet
Castillon-d'Arthez
Arthez-de-Bearn
Aroue
Ostabat

Thanks again!
Sonn
:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would recommend the Miam Miam Dodo 2013 guide. Lists lots of b & bs, gites and hostels. I leave our home between Condom and Lamothe (my first night will be Eauze) then Nogaro to 'friends' English b & b then Aire sur L'Adour where there seem to be plenty of good options - leaving two weeks TODAY! Yikes!

P.S. still not been to chemist, sorry!!

Hi Lazaret,

I have the guidebook handy. Given there are several options to stay for each of these places I'd like to know must stays.

No dramas regarding the med dosages. I've decided to stock up from here. You should see my first aid kit, I'm like a portable chemist! :lol:

Good luck, I hope your camino is a fruitful experience. :)

I leave 3 weeks tomorrow!

Sonn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Seen a lot of pilgrims walking past today - of course had I been here and not in Zubiri then you could have stopped here. There are lots of wonderful pharmacies on the way, every small town has one, stocked with amazing goodies! So repack that medical chest....

Buen camino!

Auvillar : I didn't get to stay in the gite communal as it was full, but people raved about how beautiful it was.
Nogaro: Most forgettable town on the Chemin imo, but there was a highly recommended place a few kms past it- L'Arbladoise- again it was full so I never got to stay there.

Aire-sur-l'Adour: I stayed with Andre and Odile in their gite Hospitalet Saint-Jacques, right on the Chemin as you climb up the hill after the Cathedral. Very hospitable, and very helpful- especially since my stay there co-oincided with several groups starting and I was finding it hard to book gites for the next few days.

You won't necessarily be able to stay in the places you think you've planned on the Le Puy route: the gites are smaller and sometimes get booked out by groups- so you might have a few 'unplanned' villages in your final route. Here are two suggestions if that happens. Before you get to Aire sur-l'Adour I can highly recommend gite DuBarry (before Lelin Lapujolle with a family.) And just south of Argagnon, but reachable via an 'old' GR route from Arthez de-Bearn, is the gite Cambarrat, also with a family, and another place I have very good memories of.
Margaret

The more French you can manage, the more comfortable you will be in the lodgings located in the countryside. The first year, I booked by phone a week in advance (during September) and often had to take my 2nd-3rd-4th preference. The second year, I booked 4 months in advance those spots marked in MMD as English-speaking. Less atmosphere, but easier to manage the logistics. So I found the unpredictability of the arrangements to be part of the adventure. "Tourists demand, pilgrims are grateful" and all that. There were some places I fondly remember, though. You'll make your own discoveries.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sometimes the places marked as speaking English do not speak much English!

Before your above itinerary, Les Gentianes in Finierols is an excellent stop. The owner is hoping to retire soo, and sell the farm.

I've stayed twice in Condom and both times found the accommodation miserable - once in a fleabag hotel and once the very spartan municipal gite. We did use Miam Miam but it was no help; I think our choices were limited, maybe better places full (can't recall). It is such a pity because I loved the cathedral and the town itself. Does anyone have a recommendation? Trying to help a friend who is planning his trip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sonn,
You mob from Sydney worry me.
Every taste is different but here we go from our experiences in 2012 [ july ]
You had better have the MMDD or this will be double dutch ;

Condom , strawberry :lol:

Plan69
***Air Sur L' Adour.
*****Odile and Andre , Hosp St Jacques ** make sure its them Sonn as there is one similar in name..only
The most beautiful people , ex pilgrims who really care.
Accommodation with gardens is wonderful especially after you go to the market.
Do not miss mate as the care they showed a very blistered japanese lady who arrived stays with us.

Plan 71
Miramont -Sensacq
We stayed in the communal gite , no bad actually as they cook all the meals for you .
The company was great , just 10 people so not crowded.
We came across this after taking the wrong road in the cornfields. Was Bastille day , nothing was open and there was rain , so we propped. Your decision Sonn

** The village of Pimbo 8 km on is beautiful ...recommended without knowing.

Plan 73
Arzacq-Arraziquet
Stayed @ communal as they had private rooms , with HARD beds ...error but the next day was long so we made this stop the short one.

Plan 77
***Artez de- Bearn
****Gite Boulangerie Brousse
A beautiful home he leaves for pilgrims.
The rooms are beautiful , old timber that would do Belmain proud and a lovely person is Bertrand.
He owns the bakery in the village and you pay in the morning when he gives you the freshly baked breakfast. This town is 2km from end to end however the company is Cafe De Sports [ owners and locals] made this a great stay.If you mention Rugby , know you facts , they are fanatics....lovely town

Plan 80,
***Bignan
Grande saule
**** Chalet du Rieu
This was the most beautiful private home for pilgrims .
We were the only people there , private gardens on a brook and just lovely.Recommended for peace and quiet and the big deep bath if required.Food provided for home cooked dinner.

Plan 83
*** Bellevue
****Marcel and Marie Paule Gegu
Just before Aroue is this beautiful home WITH swimming pool.
You see the sign on a fence and you walk in the fields to the home....lovely.
Lovely gardens and a great place to stay . For 2 euro Marcel takes you and other pilgrims staying in Aroue to Auberge des Chenes [ plan 82] for dinner . He picks you up later in the evening.
Wonderful place to stay and great food at Chenes
Highly recommended Sonn

OSTABAT
We kept going to Larceveau for the last night before St.J de P however we had a drink/food in Ostabat.
We met a beautiful man , wife , young child and grand parents in Auberge Ametzanea . A very big Basque man with a big heart and kind disposition.
We are starting our next Frances from this place ,thats the impression he made plus we want a short day to St Jean le Vieux before Orrison.

Make your own way Sonn , the last part of this in the mist and the mountains ahead is beautiful.
Take your time , when you get home you wish you had.

Keep safe, Buen Camino
David

Thorny can you post the entire plan. I'm starting in le puy may 13 and have no plans. Thanks, Nancy

Sonn

If you want a room in a chambre d'hotes, Josiane Falc's place in Auvillar was a stand-out. May be wise to ring ahead for Auvillar on weekends or school hols...the French can book the place out on occasions, as it's a popular heritage town.

You're okay for accommodation in Sausages, right?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Guys, thanks a mil for your input. Much appreciated as always.

Only 12 days to go!

Gite Municipale at Auvillar - is wonderful.

Bonte Divin at Miradoux

le bourdon Marsolan, just outside Lectoure. Philippe and Monique are fantastic

lebourdondemarsolan@gmail.com

Went past nice gite in Bigose on my way to Aumont-Aubrac yesterday. Quite new, opened 3 years agp the owner said. Very nice hosts too!
randi

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, I can. Stayed last night in Aire sur L'Adour at hotel L'Ahumat. Very good for the price and Demi Pension for me plus half a litre of wine with dinner was 51 Euros, She let me use the bathroom with a bath in it to help soothe my body! Now at Miramont Sensaq staying in spartan, cold hotel La Maison de Helene. Waited for her to open ( having booked) at 1430 hrs. It is Monday so bakers not open.....nothing to eat between Aire and here - remember to buy it. Dinner in two hours and I could eat my rucksack..... You have to sit outside in courtyard to get wifi connection. On the other hand, I went to look at the gite pelerin down the road. Spotless, modern and had it not been full, I would have changed my booking. Doing gite pelerin in Arzacq tomorrow. Weather packing up.....

Ultreia, Karin

We didn't go to Sausages. We went to Sog.

I remember the same situation at Miramont Sensacq when I walked in 2011. Only then, opening was at 1500 and there was no wifi! So things have improved.

Also I enjoyed the kind hospitality at L'Auhmaunt in Aire sur L'Ador (which I always end up pronouncing as"Ursula Door" but there you have it). Great memories. I still recall the Duck Pizza (just when you think you've had duck every way imaginable).

It has always amazed me, how quickly (and unfortunately) one can find oneself hungry in France. Stock up at every opportunity, and ask for a sack lunch when you book, even if MMD doesn't mention it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.