• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxia or Finisterre?

mary flo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: March 15-April 15 2016

Camino Portugues: 2019
Hi all! Hoping for some feedback from the group on this...I am walking the Camino Frances in March/April this year and should be in Santiago by April 17 and then I've got two days to relax (travelling by bus) in Muxia or Finisterre. Trying to decide where I should relax for those last two days before heading home to Boston. They both look lovely, need help!
Thank you!! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello and best wishes for your upcoming travels! We walked from Burgos to Santiago in August and then walked on to Finisterre followed by Muxia. If I had to choose between the two Muxia would come out on top. To be honest the lighthouse at Finisterre was not the experience we had hoped but finishing off in Muxia just "felt right". It is very rugged coastline out there and to be honest there is not much to do beyond walking around the town but we found it charming, and a perfect ending for our experience. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mary Flo. Muxia gets my vote too! Both places have their appeal, but IMO Muxia is a nicer place to spend 2 days. I enjoyed seeing Finisterre and walking to the lighthouse, but I didn't feel any desire to spend time there. I absolutely love Muxia and look forward to going back.

It's a very personal thing, however. Others will no doubt extol the virtues of spending 2 days in Finisterre!

Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Finistera has become too crowded, too commercial, too busy. Muxia hands down, 2 streets, a couple of bar/restaurants, a church in an amazing position, with a 0 kilometer post, and a Compostela/Finistera type document just as tacky as the one from F. You can get it in the library. In the village just before Muxia is an amazing Romanesque church try and catch it on a Sunday, I was able to walk in but after 20 minutes realized that it was a funeral and eased out. It is worth the small effort.

Muxia gets my vote too. Alburgue Bela Muxia is excellent: you can have a pilgrim dorm or the full works if you wish to :) The staff are super friendly and helpful. There is also a top class restaurant attached which provides superb seafood: perfect for a post camino splurge.

Take care, be safe.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for all your feedback! I don't want to plan too much but wanted to have a place to stay at the end of my journey.

Much appreciated! I'm so ready to go...only 59 days...but who's counting?! :rolleyes:

Muxia gets my vote too. Alburgue Bela Muxia is excellent: you can have a pilgrim dorm or the full works if you wish to :) The staff are super friendly and helpful. There is also a top class restaurant attached which provides superb seafood: perfect for a post camino splurge.

Take care, be safe.

I agree 100%. A room at Albergue Bela Muxia is a great treat at the end of a Camino (although the dorms are good too). Such nice people.

.IMG_5605.JPGIMG_5606.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Muxia.... No doubt about it. Muxia is really beautiful without the hustle and bustle if Finisterre.

Hi all! Hoping for some feedback from the group on this...I am walking the Camino Frances in March/April this year and should be in Santiago by April 17 and then I've got two days to relax (travelling by bus) in Muxia or Finisterre. Trying to decide where I should relax for those last two days before heading home to Boston. They both look lovely, need help!
muxía, no doubt

I say see both! I took a bus to Muxia for one night. Then a bus to Finesterre for one night. Then a bus back to Santiago. Each town has its own unique flavor. The church on the rocks by the sea in Muxia was amazing. Finesterre was much more crowded, and more like a beach town. Both are wonderful. It was a more important sense of closure for me than the crowded scene in Santiago. I was there for the feast day, July 25, 2015.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

(Here is my more "eloquent reply" that I referenced on Facebook- it did save my draft after all!)

Hi Mary- saw your post on the Facebook APOC group as well :)
Both are very lovely towns with their own charm, I love different things about each... The most important thing is that there is no wrong decision here. I honestly would not even worry about this just yet-- mostly because you have no idea how you will be feeling or who you will have met by the end of your Camino.

People change their plans in a blink of an eye on the Camino. I myself walked my second Camino with a very important goal of walking to Finisterre, which I had not done the first time around. However, in Santiago I decided that I would instead spend my last few days with the Camino Family, which include renting a car and driving to both Muxia and Finisterre. We watched the sunset at "the end of the world", we watched the ocean crash onto huge boulders from atop a hill in Muxia, we found "hidden" beaches... It was all amazing.

My main point is to just allow yourself the flexibility to do whatever you want once the time comes when you know what you want to do :) And again, there is so wrong decision! I know the popular vote here is for Muxia, but there is something to be said for seeing that final mile marker at Finisterre and (possibly) feeling a sense of accomplishment and completion.

Take care, be safe.
Oh yes to Bella Muxia! We stayed in a private room but took advantage of the communal kitchen to make lunch, then treated ourselves to dinner at the restaurant you mention.

Both. We even enjoyed Lires. Try and take a few more days holiday and walk between Finisterre and Muxia. The best part of the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You didn't say whether you are allowing any time in Santiago. The two days we spent there reuniting with our Camino family members, going to the moving mass and enjoying the charming town definitely trumped the days we spent in Finnisterre and Muxia.
So if you are choosing where to spend you time, I would stay in Santiago if you didn't allow time there, otherwise Bella Muxia is wonderful and you can take a cab to Finnisterre and walk to the 0 mile marker.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You didn't say whether you are allowing any time in Santiago. The two days we spent there reuniting with our Camino family members, going to the moving mass and enjoying the charming town definitely trumped the days we spent in Finnisterre and Muxia.
So if you are choosing where to spend you time, I would stay in Santiago if you didn't allow time there, otherwise Bella Muxia is wonderful and you can take a cab to Finnisterre and walk to the 0 mile marker.
I will have a day in Santiago. I hope to have some extra time - I don't want to over plan but I'm pretty fast so I hope to have some wiggle room beyond the few extra days I have blocked out for resting & exploration. I appreciate all the info everyone!

Muxia, definitely! It's a town that has been able to keep its character as a fishing village. Finisterre, as mentioned, really has changed a lot and become so commercialized. Muxia will not disappoint you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Both of them deserves a visit.Both of them are nice on there own way.Just as people are!

If you want to stay somewhere to relax, there is a little fishing village just before Finisterre, Seafood is excellent. Just before Muxia there is an albergue called the Little Fox House (think thats the correct name) and its specifically for pilgrims wanting to unwind before going home. I am told the food there is great. You could of course do what I did. Go on a guided tour bus to Muxia, Finisterre, Noia and a few other places of interest. Its only one day but good fun and very relaxing

I walked from Muxia to Finisterra. I enjoyed both but sitting on that rocky crag with other pilgrims watching the sunset at "the end of the world" was the PERFECT ending for my camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back