• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxía to Finisterre or Finisterre to Muxía?

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
I'm thinking of adding on a trip to Muxía after I finish my Inglés next month. I'm yet to see it!

I won't have time to walk it from Santiago, and I've taken the coach to Fisterra with some of my Francés friends before.

So, I'm considering a return to Finisterre by coach and walking the short stretch from there to Muxía, and then catch another coach back to Santiago.

My question is this - does it make much difference which direction to walk that section?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year I walked to Muxia then onto Finisterre. My rationale was I wanted to walk to the "End of the World", so I should finish in Finisterre which was once thought to be the end of the world. It made total sense to me. Add to that the fact that Finisterre had many more bus options - my decision was made. So, I walked to Muxia and it was so beautiful and peaceful. Watching the sunset over the church was magical. Then I walked on to Finisterre - a walk that seemed to take forever - to find a bustling busy town with lots of "tourists" and noise. And after such a peaceful time in Muxia, it was kind of unsettling. Which also made it sad to arrive in Finisterre. This time I am going again - but will walk Finisterre first. Reaching Finisterre is definitely a milestone - but Muxia feels like it should be the peaceful end to what for many is a religious or spiritual journey. This time I plan to only spend 1 night in Finisterre - and 2 in Muxia. And that limited bus schedule? Well - I will make it work!

I hear you, Jeanine. Finding the right way to end a Camino is rather important.

When I walked the Francés in 2018, my friends and I made our way to Finisterre by coach two days after our arrival in Santiago, after lots of celebrations and farewell drinks.

We lingered by the lighthouse for hours, took our pictures at the 00 marker, reminisced, and enjoyed the beauty of the peninsula while we waited for the sun to set on our Caminos.

2018-09-25 20.46.06.jpg

Then we were treated to a stunning moonrise a few moments later and one more Camino Angel emerging, as a friendly local offered us a lift in his car down to the town.

It was a perfect end to a memorable experience and it seems impossible to think it could be bettered by repetition.

So Finisterre will just be a staging post this time - Muxia is the place that I want to see.

Last edited:
Reaching Finisterre is definitely a milestone - but Muxia feels like it should be the peaceful end to what for many is a religious or spiritual journey.
@jeanineonthecamino, nice description of what to expect at each of the endpoints. I've tried to answer similar questions about which town to pick by saying Finisterre is a beach town and Muxia is a town on the coast. Something in your post got me to think of saying the best endpoint for someone is Finisterre to celebrate, Muxia to meditate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@jeanineonthecamino, nice description of what to expect at each of the endpoints. I've tried to answer similar questions about which town to pick by saying Finisterre is a beach town and Muxia is a town on the coast. Something in your post got me to think of saying the best endpoint for someone is Finisterre to celebrate, Muxia to meditate.
I like that! I felt the same way about ending in Santiago vs Muxia. This time I look forward to celebrating in Santiago and again in Finisterre... but will make my final days walking to and then meditating and reflecting at Muxia :)

I'm thinking of adding on a trip to Muxía after I finish my Inglés next month. I'm yet to see it!

I won't have time to walk it from Santiago, and I've taken the coach to Fisterra with some of my Francés friends before.

So, I'm considering a return to Finisterre by coach and walking the short stretch from there to Muxía, and then catch another coach back to Santiago.

My question is this - does it make much difference which direction to walk that section?
I walked to Muxia first and then finished in Finnesterre. I thouroughly enjoyed that. I was going to walk Finisterre back to Santiago to finish but took a bus. I don't like crowds and prefer the solitary aloneness of walking against the grain. Watching the sunset like in the movie the way at Muxia was just amazing.

Hi there, my favourite has always been the coastal route to Finisterre. I have done it 3 times ... & always finish in Muxia! That little village is so quaint & calming after the hype in the preceeding town. It really depends on what you're looking for. I only do 'one-week stints' due to work constraints, but after a week of walking 115km, I am ready to 'switch-off'! I usually spend 2 nights in Muxia, as I'm too tired to soak it all up, as I don't want to rush it. That way, I check into my lodging; shower, change & get something to eat ... usually with 'stragglers' I've met on route. I wake to the sounds of the sea, seagulls flying overhead, & a fantastic sunrise! After a leisurely breakfast, I wander around that incredible little village, with alll it's lovely historical landmarks, cafes, restaurants, shops. I really just love the leisurely wind-down after all the routines of the week. There are 2 buses, as far as I know, to Santiago .. an early morning (7ish) which I usually get & there's a later one (not sure of time). I can't wait to do this route again ... & Muxia will still be my final stop. There are some fab beaches between Finisterre & Muxia, ... so make sure to check them out, if you've time. Enjoy this wonderful journey & don't forget a trip to the little souvenir shop (in Muxia, of course!) ... full of everything... & a parrot! 'May the road rise to meet you'! Buen Camino! 😇

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked to Muxia first and then finished in Finnesterre. I thouroughly enjoyed that. I was going to walk Finisterre back to Santiago to finish but took a bus. I don't like crowds and prefer the solitary aloneness of walking against the grain. Watching the sunset like in the movie the way at Muxia was just amazing.
It's "The Way" that makes me want to visit Muxia, as it made me want to walk the Camino in the first place.

But wasn't the weather pretty bad when Tom and the gang made it there?

Hi there, my favourite has always been the coastal route to Finisterre. I have done it 3 times ... & always finish in Muxia! That little village is so quaint & calming after the hype in the preceeding town. It really depends on what you're looking for. I only do 'one-week stints' due to work constraints, but after a week of walking 115km, I am ready to 'switch-off'! I usually spend 2 nights in Muxia, as I'm too tired to soak it all up, as I don't want to rush it. That way, I check into my lodging; shower, change & get something to eat ... usually with 'stragglers' I've met on route. I wake to the sounds of the sea, seagulls flying overhead, & a fantastic sunrise! After a leisurely breakfast, I wander around that incredible little village, with alll it's lovely historical landmarks, cafes, restaurants, shops. I really just love the leisurely wind-down after all the routines of the week. There are 2 buses, as far as I know, to Santiago .. an early morning (7ish) which I usually get & there's a later one (not sure of time). I can't wait to do this route again ... & Muxia will still be my final stop. There are some fab beaches between Finisterre & Muxia, ... so make sure to check them out, if you've time. Enjoy this wonderful journey & don't forget a trip to the little souvenir shop (in Muxia, of course!) ... full of everything... & a parrot! 'May the road rise to meet you'! Buen Camino! 😇
That's great advice, thanks for that! Can you recommend a place to stay in Muxia?

That's great advice, thanks for that! Can you recommend a place to stay in Muxia?
I stayed in Hostal La Cruz. Room 305 looks out onto the sea ... & the seagulls will wake you in the morning! 😇

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-153840_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-153840_Photos.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220308-153912_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-153912_Photos.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 12
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year I walked to Muxia then onto Finisterre. My rationale was I wanted to walk to the "End of the World", so I should finish in Finisterre which was once thought to be the end of the world. It made total sense to me. Add to that the fact that Finisterre had many more bus options - my decision was made. So, I walked to Muxia and it was so beautiful and peaceful. Watching the sunset over the church was magical. Then I walked on to Finisterre - a walk that seemed to take forever - to find a bustling busy town with lots of "tourists" and noise. And after such a peaceful time in Muxia, it was kind of unsettling. Which also made it sad to arrive in Finisterre. This time I am going again - but will walk Finisterre first. Reaching Finisterre is definitely a milestone - but Muxia feels like it should be the peaceful end to what for many is a religious or spiritual journey. This time I plan to only spend 1 night in Finisterre - and 2 in Muxia. And that limited bus schedule? Well - I will make it work!
My first camino I walked to Finisterre after I finished the CF. I went back by bus in 2019 and the magic was completely gone from when I first walked 6 years earlier. In 2021I did the VDLP from Sevilla and for some crazy reason :) I decided to walk to Muxia. I loved Muxia and on future caminos if I walk or bus I will go to Muxia. All the reasons you mentioned about Muxia I would agree with 1000%. I still ended up walking to Finisterre afterwards. It wasn't that crowded as it was mid week in December. I walked to the lighthouse and it is beautiful but I found I enjoyed sitting on the rocks below the church in Muxia more peaceful and satisfying. I also like the town of Muxia much more than Finisterre. I am a Muxia pilgrim!

Muxia is special. I can recommend Albergue Bela Muxia - spacious dormitories and bathrooms with private rooms available. Wonderful hospies. Every night there is a large pot of food prepared with love by the hospitalera for free - adds to the friendly ambience of this albergue.

Muxia is special. I can recommend Albergue Bela Muxia - spacious dormitories and bathrooms with private rooms available. Wonderful hospies. Every night there is a large pot of food prepared with love by the hospitalera for free - adds to the friendly ambience of this albergue.
I agree with all you said - but last summer (2021) they were not cooking due to COVID. Perhaps that has changed again, but lots of albergues did not offer their usual dinners. Hoping that isn't true again this summer, but not counting on it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's "The Way" that makes me want to visit Muxia, as it made me want to walk the Camino in the first place.

But wasn't the weather pretty bad when Tom and the gang made it there?
In the movie it looked overcast. I think it depicted November. I was there early October and lying on those rocks by the lighthouse watching the sunset the day and weather was glorious.

I can’t tell you about the buses in Muxia as I stayed overnight in Muxia after walking there from Finisterre. However for me it was a pleasant wait for the bus as it’s opposite a nice bar and you can pay for your drink and then sit and wait for the bus to turn up, without having to queue.

In the movie it looked overcast. I think it depicted November. I was there early October and lying on those rocks by the lighthouse watching the sunset the day and weather was glorious.
I can’t tell you about the buses in Muxia as I stayed overnight in Muxia after walking there from Finisterre. However for me it was a pleasant wait for the bus as it’s opposite a nice bar and you can pay for your drink and then sit and wait for the bus to turn up, without having to queue.
Finisterre might be the “end of the earth”, but Muxia is a super-fitting end to a Camino. The church, the rocks with links to Celtic heritage, beautiful coastal village, the Atlantic. For me, a non religious person, it was a strangely spiritual end to a great walk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back