• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

muxia to finisterre route maps

eileeninhastings

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009;
Ingles 2018;
Muxia-Fisterra-Santiago 2019
Hi Peregrinos. We are planning to fly to Santiago, take the bus to Muxia and then walk from Muxia to Finisterre and then back to Santiago. Although I have a book that covers all the caminos - including the muxia finisterre route, the instructions are always the other way round (Santiago-Fisterre-Muxia). It is too confusing to try and follow these instructions. Are there any directions for walking Muxia-Fisterre-Santiago. Please help if you can. Many thanks. Eileen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Eileen, could you download a Wikiloc track like this one to your phone and follow it in reverse?
Wikiloc gives you the choice when you start following a route of which direction you want to follow it in. If you start walking from Muxía and click “Follow trail” in the Wikiloc app, it will sense that you are at the end of the downloaded route and will ask you if you would like to follow the route in reverse. If you agree, then it will track you in the reverse direction and will alert you when you veer off the track.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Eileen, could you download a Wikiloc track like this one to your phone and follow it in reverse?
Wikiloc gives you the choice when you start following a route of which direction you want to follow it in. If you start walking from Muxía and click “Follow trail” in the Wikiloc app, it will sense that you are at the end of the downloaded route and will ask you if you would like to follow the route in reverse. If you agree, then it will track you in the reverse direction and will alert you when you veer off the track.
Thanks so much. I will give it a try.

@trecile, does the Buen Camino app allow you to follow the track in reverse? If so, that would be very handy!
I used the Buen Camino app. Easy to use with tons of features.

Thank you. I have looked at Buen Camino before and had forgotten about it. I will take another look. Many thanks. Eileen

The route is well marked in both directions and you may not need directions at all if you keep your eyes open for markers.

I had maps.me with Galicia downloaded (works offline) and if ever curious where I was, it would tell me.
I will try this too! Many thanks to you and everyone with the suggestions. I will be busy in the next couple of days working out what works best. Heading out to Santiago on Thursday and then bus to Muxia. Starting the walk back to Santiago on Saturday. Buen Camino everyone. Eileen

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2015 Peg and I walked F to M. I thought the marking was sufficient and the arrows had both ways marked. Small problem with that; if you stop for a rest and when you start again don't follow any arrows without making sure that they are pointing in the same direction you were going before the stop.

There was a long straight stretch in the southern half with few arrows. Not really needed except for reassurance since the camino didn't leave the road until definitely marked.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Next month I'll be trying out two camino apps, three primary navigation apps and two backups. I'm going to have plenty of reassurance (as long as they all agree).
There is one of those great urban myths - "in any city you are never more than 6 metres from a rat". Thanks to GPS we can add 'with GPS you are never more than 6 metres from where you think you are" ;)

Thanks to GPS we can add 'with GPS you are never more than 6 metres from where you think you are" ;)

In a celestial navigation exercise I was involved in everyone marvelled at one person's three lines of position intersecting at a point. We would have been marvelling still if the resulting location was closer than the 300 nautical miles it was from the GPS position.

Why do we always need to know where we are I enjoy getting lost. I have passed this trait on to my daughter, from a young age she was in charge of the maps, "Turn left in 3 fingers, there are tame eels!" Ok it's not the direct route and 3 fingers on her scale is probably 30kms off the way but just think of what we would have missed if we all traveled at max speed on the direct route.

Our family now have a code "Doing the diagonal" when we are about to go off piste to the usual route. You appear to be doing a dogleg, going from Muxia to Finisterre on your way to Santiago. The arrows go in both directions on this route and it's pretty straight forward, take good wet weather gear and keep the ocean on your right. Say hi to Jimmy for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The route is well marked in both directions and you may not need directions at all if you keep your eyes open for markers.

I walked Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre in March this year, I can second that this loop is VERY well marked and in both directions and often has the end destination ‘Finisterre/Muxia/Santiago’ also marked. It’s a loop route that you can follow clockwise or anticlockwise basically. In regards to knowing how far the next town/Albergue is I used the Wisely+Camino Finisterre app, it allows you to download the maps to use offline and was very easy to use regarding the reverse route.

To simplify it even further the Finisterre to Muxia or Muxia to Finisterre section is only 28.2km which is either going to be one big day or 2 days. I did it in 2 days as I had plenty of time to kill, in that case you will need to stop in Lires which is roughly halfway and has a number of albergues (including one open all year incase you are planning a winter camino), and from memory is your only option between Finisterre and Muxia with albergues.

Either way don’t stress about a guide for this opposite way section, if you have 1 day just follow the trail markers, if you have 2 days follow the markers and make sure to stop in Lires.

We stayed in Lires at an Airbnb and walked to the beach and hung out and had a fun meal and ice cream and sunset at the only beach restaurant and bar!! Can do it in one day but truly enjoyed taking the 2 days and enjoying and processing our previous 4 weeks of Camino”ing”

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from Muxia to Fisterra in July this year in one day. I do not have one of those magic phone things that seem to have the answers to everything. I just headed off out of town and followed the markers. There are plenty of them and you won't get lost. Just as you go down into some small place (I am old and can't remember the name) at about halfway, on the right there is a place which is just a room with a toilet and a coke machine. It is a private property but it is for pilgrims. There is a bowl there for donations. We were there for 30 minutes having lunch and during that time at least a dozen pilgrims used the toilet but there were no donations. You keep hearing from pilgrims about the lack of toilets on the Camino and what they would give to use one, especially a modern clean one as good as this, but when they have a choice as to whether to pay a very small sum for the privilege or not, it is nearly always not.

I walked from Muxia to Fisterra in July this year in one day. I do not have one of those magic phone things that seem to have the answers to everything. I just headed off out of town and followed the markers. There are plenty of them and you won't get lost. Just as you go down into some small place (I am old and can't remember the name) at about halfway, on the right there is a place which is just a room with a toilet and a coke machine. It is a private property but it is for pilgrims. There is a bowl there for donations. We were there for 30 minutes having lunch and during that time at least a dozen pilgrims used the toilet but there were no donations. You keep hearing from pilgrims about the lack of toilets on the Camino and what they would give to use one, especially a modern clean one as good as this, but when they have a choice as to whether to pay a very small sum for the privilege or not, it is nearly always not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre in March this year, I can second that this loop is VERY well marked and in both directions and often has the end destination ‘Finisterre/Muxia/Santiago’ also marked. It’s a loop route that you can follow clockwise or anticlockwise basically. In regards to knowing how far the next town/Albergue is I used the Wisely+Camino Finisterre app, it allows you to download the maps to use offline and was very easy to use regarding the reverse route.

To simplify it even further the Finisterre to Muxia or Muxia to Finisterre section is only 28.2km which is either going to be one big day or 2 days. I did it in 2 days as I had plenty of time to kill, in that case you will need to stop in Lires which is roughly halfway and has a number of albergues (including one open all year incase you are planning a winter camino), and from memory is your only option between Finisterre and Muxia with albergues.

Either way don’t stress about a guide for this opposite way section, if you have 1 day just follow the trail markers, if you have 2 days follow the markers and make sure to stop in Lires.
Sam. I am planning to walk Hospital-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago. Do you know if that is practical and if that route will be well marked?

Sam. I am planning to walk Hospital-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago. Do you know if that is practical and if that route will be well marked?

Hi NI Walker,
Yes that route is exceptionally well marked you won’t have any issues whatsoever.
Assuming you’ve already worked out how you are getting to Hospital as your starting point, it’s more than practical to walk from there.

The Wisely Finisterre app will cover the entire section your walking it’s very useful to see inclines, where albergues are and distances between town. You can also download the map to use offline if you ever second guess yourself. My recommendation is to spend the few dollars on the app just so you have a back up for piece of mind and can plan ahead.
All the best, Buen camino pilgrim

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back