• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxia to Santiago to Paris - where is the SdC bus station in relation to the airport?

STLperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - Sept/Oct/Nov (2017)
I have been trying to find information on the forums and the web about my inquiry, but haven't really gotten the full answer yet. I was wondering if anyone has any answers (preferably on a map) or other thoughts or helpful tidbits on the matter.

I am hoping to catch a bus back from Muxia to Santiago on ~Wednesday, Nov 8th. Unless things change that morning, I am going to assume the bus departs at 6:45am (I am sure the tourist office there can point me to the pickup location) and takes ~2 hours to arrive in Santiago. Cost ~$10.

Unfortunately that doesn't give me enough time to catch the 9:15am flight out of there to Paris so I will need an evening flight. What I am uncertain of is, when I arrive at Santiago, where the bus drops off me off at, especially in relation to the airport? I would potentially have several hours to kill, so I don't know if the station is near enough to the city center to grab some lunch and chill out there, or if it is easier to just stay at the station and catch the next bus to the airport and wait around there for several hours instead (assuming the bus station is where I would also need to go in order to catch a bus to the airport?).

Not sure if my situation/questions make sense, but any help for my situation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
[...]I don't know if the station is near enough to the city center to grab some lunch and chill out there, or if it is easier to just stay at the station and catch the next bus to the airport and wait around there for several hours instead (assuming the bus station is where I would also need to go in order to catch a bus to the airport?).[...
You are right: the buses which you intend to take all start/arrive at the same terminal in Santiago de Compostela. You can get food at the terminal, more fancy stuff near the terminal. A walk into town takes just over 15 minutes. Buses to the airport are very frequent.

You are right: the buses which you intend to take all start/arrive at the same terminal in Santiago de Compostela. You can get food at the terminal, more fancy stuff near the terminal. A walk into town takes just over 15 minutes. Buses to the airport are very frequent.

Thanks for the info! I figured the bus station wouldn't be too far from town if I wanted to walk back in to SdC for some final sightseeing. But I have no problem waiting at the airport either. Good to know I have options! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
See here the bus stops to the airport.
A popular place to catch the bus is Plaza de Galicia, just 10 minutes from cathedral -but you need to study the map beforehand, because it is easy to get disoriented in the maze of streets and alleys.
Look the schedules here
Good return home!

Last edited:
A popular place to catch the bus is Plaza de Galicia, just 10 minutes from the cathedral -but you need to study the map beforehand, because it is easy to get disoriented in the maze of streets and alleys.
Look the schedules here
Good return home!

Felipe, this is an awesome post! Thanks for the info; it was what I have been looking for! Seems like if I venture back in to town after the bus ride from Muxia, there are buses going to the airport every 20 to 30 minutes and only need ~30 minutes to get there. Most helpful! Thanks again! :):):):)

Hi STLperegrino. The return bus from Muxia also stops in Santiago city centre so you could alight in the city if you wish. It goes on from there to the bus terminal which is located about 20 minutes walk from the centre. The airport bus leaves Plaza de Galicia every 30 mins on the half hour. The journey to the airport from the city centre takes about 40 minutes however it's worth mentioning that the bus terminal is on the same route and it stops there on the way so many options are open to you.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi STLperegrino. The return bus from Muxia also stops in Santiago city centre so you could alight in the city if you wish. It goes on from there to the bus terminal which is located about 20 minutes walk from the centre. The airport bus leaves Plaza de Galicia every 30 mins on the half hour. The journey to the airport from the city centre takes about 40 minutes however it's worth mentioning that the bus terminal is on the same route and it stops there on the way so many options are open to you.

More great info! Thanks for this, GerFol :)

I agree with the above posts. I wouldn't however, hang out at the bus station and grab a snack there as it is a dismal, dreary, diesel smelling building. The airport is newer, bright, clean and cheerful. My personal preference would be to get to the airport early, grab something to eat and chill while waiting for my flight. I don't think I'd be very relaxed hanging out in Santiago knowing I was leaving soon to catch my flight home.

I agree with the above posts. I wouldn't however, hang out at the bus station and grab a snack there as it is a dismal, dreary, diesel smelling building. The airport is newer, bright, clean and cheerful. My personal preference would be to get to the airport early, grab something to eat and chill while waiting for my flight. I don't think I'd be very relaxed hanging out in Santiago knowing I was leaving soon to catch my flight home.

Good points, Chris! I am such a worry wort when it comes to catching flights. I generally arrive 3 hours early for domestic, 4+ for international. Believe me I know that is well beyond excessive in most others' opinions, but when you are trying to catch your flights home after a long trip (and to avoid re-booking fees or missing the last flight of the night) or, in this case, the next several days I have planned in Paris, getting there well ahead of time makes perfect sense to me. The bus from Muxia does get in to SdC at ~8:45am with my flight to Paris not until 7:40pm (unfortunately that was the earliest flight after no being able to get there in time for the 9:15am ones). So it looks like I will safely have several hours to kill in the city center before heading to the airport. I have no problem finding a nice cafe or wandering the streets to kill a few hours. But then again, I am a bit weird when I admit that I actually like hanging out in airports (as long as they are somewhat decent), grabbing a beer at a bar there and watching planes takeoff.

Thanks for the input though! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A popular place to catch the bus is Plaza de Galicia, just 10 minutes from the cathedral -but you need to study the map beforehand, because it is easy to get disoriented in the maze of streets and alleys.
Look the schedules here
Good return home!
Note however that the journey from Plaza Galicia takes 25 mins. longer (usually to connect with train arrivals at train station) than from the main bus station. In this time you can easily walk to the main bus station and save lining up on the foot walk (usually crowded) of the Galicia square. FWIW

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back