• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxiana certificate, without going to Finisterre

Paul McG

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Portugués, S. Salvador, Primitivo, Inglés
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone had walked from Santiago to Muxía and obtained a Muxiana certificate upon their arrival.
I have seen advice that you have to walk via Finisterre/Lires to qualify for a Muxiana; is it possible to go straight to Muxía and still obtain a Muxiana?

Many Thanks,
Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone had walked from Santiago to Muxía and obtained a Muxiana certificate upon their arrival.
I have seen advice that you have to walk via Finisterre/Lires to qualify for a Muxiana; is it possible to go straight to Muxía and still obtain a Muxiana?

Many Thanks,
Paul
I walked from Santiago then onto Muxia in 2017, then continued to Finisterre, received my Muxiana when checking into my albergue! I recall someone in front of me was told they didn’t have enough stamps to qualify! I choose Muxia first because their are more buses back to Santiago from Finisterre than Muxia!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All,

Many Thanks,
Paul
I walked from Santiago to Muxia back in 2016 and my hotel in Muxia provided me with a Muxiana. If you are so inclined, I also recommend the walk from Muxia to Finisterre with an overnight in Lires. Upon arrival in Finisterre you’ll also receive a certificate of completion for this relatively short route (approx 30km). Enjoy!

I walked from Santiago then onto Muxia in 2017, then continued to Finisterre, received my Muxiana when checking into my albergue! I recall someone in front of me was told they didn’t have enough stamps to qualify! I choose Muxia first because their are more buses back to Santiago from Finisterre than Muxia!
I'm slightly confused.
  1. Did you get your Muxiana when you checked into the albergue IN FINISTERRE?
  2. The person you are mentioning - they 'didnt get enough stamps' to qualify for what? IIRC either Muxiana or Finisterriana - you need only 1 sello per day....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm slightly confused.
  1. Did you get your Muxiana when you checked into the albergue IN FINISTERRE?
  2. The person you are mentioning - they 'didnt get enough stamps' to qualify for what? IIRC either Muxiana or Finisterriana - you need only 1 sello per day....
No, I was referring to my first albergue in Muxia!
I then continued onto Finisterre were I also received the Finisterana from my second albergue!
Not sure for certain it was an issue with stamps! It was two french girls, The hospitalero seemed to be unhappy with their pilgrims passports? they definitely didn’t get the Muxiana!

Hi All,

Many Thanks,
Paul
I decided against walking to Finisterre and Muxia and took the bus from Santiago. They gave me a certificate when I was checking in. :D

Yes. The Muxiana is awarded to those who walk to Muxia. There is no specification as to route.
I am now a little uncertain about what the requirement was, but I recall that when I walked, whichever you arrived at first, you had to collect a stamp at Lires to qualify for the other if you walked to both Muxia and Fisterra.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
According to this site you do need to show a stamped Pilgrim's Credential to receive the Muxiana.

"The official certificate of completion, known as Muxiana, can be obtained at the town hall (Rúa Real, 35, 15124 Muxía, A Coruña Telephone: +34 981 74 20 01). This document was created in the Casa da Cultura de Muxía, extending the Camino de Santiago to this point. Like the Fisterrana, to obtain the Muxiana it is necessary to carry and present the Pilgrim’s Credential stamped during the journey through Negreira, Olveiroa, Fisterra or Lires."

I am now a little uncertain about what the requirement was, but I recall that when I walked, whichever you arrived at first, you had to collect a stamp at Lires to qualify for the other if you walked to both Muxia and Fisterra.
I remember that too, but I think it is only if you go from Finisterre to Muxia. If you go from Santiago to Muxia, you won’t pass through Lires, but if you go first to Finisterre and then to Muxia, the hospitalero (maybe not the same one any more) would deny the muxiana to those who started in Finisterre and did not have a stamp from Lires.

I remember that too, but I think it is only if you go from Finisterre to Muxia. If you go from Santiago to Muxia, you won’t pass through Lires, but if you go first to Finisterre and then to Muxia, the hospitalero (maybe not the same one any more) would deny the muxiana to those who started in Finisterre and did not have a stamp from Lires.
I may not have been clear enough in trying to describe this. When I did this, if you walked from Santiago to either Muxia or Fisterra, you will get a certificate for that place. If you then walked to from Muxia to Fisterra or Fisterra to Muxia, you needed to get a stamp at Lires. Neither of the routes goes through Lires initially, only when walking to the other side of that peninsula.
My understanding was that you needed to have walked from Santiago in the first place, whatever sequence you planned to walk to the two towns. You wouldn't get the Muxiana just for walking from Fisterra, or the Fisterrana for walking just from Muxia.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are correct that you need the Lires stamp when walking between Finisterre and Muxia for the respective certificates regardless of direction, however...

I received the Muxiana without a Lires stamp by showing the restaurant Saburil receipt from the beach at Nemina because we bypassed Lires. We chose to go along the coastal route and ended up deep fording the river mouth on the coast. The guy at the info centre/library in Muxia was brilliant. Highly recommend the beach and restaurant but pick your time if you choose to ford the Rio da Castro !

You are correct that you need the Lires stamp when walking between Finisterre and Muxia for the respective certificates regardless of direction, however...
Perhaps the requirement might be better rephrased 'with a stamp obtained between Muxia and Fisterra. I think the principle is that there is some evidence that you have walked along the coast, not taken a taxi or bus.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back