• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Muxiana compostela

Time of past OR future Camino
can a person get the Muxiana compostela by walking from Finisterre to Muxia? We have a friend who is only able to join us on the trail for a few days and we thought this might be a nice memento for her efforts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yup, that’s all it takes. Pick it up at the town hall or Bella Muxia albergue if the town hall is closed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes but you have to get a stamp at Lires on the route.
Hi Mike, is it also necessary to walk to Finisterre prior to walking from F. to Muxia? In other words, is the muxiana certificate for walking from Santiago to Muxia or for just from F. to Muxia?

There was some discussion about this when the nice lady in the tourist office in Muxia issued the muxiana to me but I don't recall the final result of our chat on this point.

thanks, CT

Hi Mike, is it also necessary to walk to Finisterre prior to walking from F. to Muxia? In other words, is the muxiana certificate for walking from Santiago to Muxia or for just from F. to Muxia?

There was some discussion about this when the nice lady in the tourist office in Muxia issued the muxiana to me but I don't recall the final result of our chat on this point.

thanks, CT
I walked from Santiago to Muxia, and got a certificate there. Then I walked to Finisterre, and got their certificate too.

Both the Finisterriana, and the Muxiana, are essentially welcome to our town certificates. They are issued by the respective "chambers of commerce" to thank pilgrims for making the journey to their towns.

Neither has any standing, insofar as regular Compostelas issued by the Cathedral at the Pilgrim Office, do. Neither do the usual rules about sello and distances apply.

My understanding, not having done it, is that you show up, and they give you a certificate.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I mountain biked from Santiago to Finisterre and then to Muxia...from my experience they do count the Cellos for a Muxiana...because I had to show them the mountain bike before they issued a Muxiana...the issue was I traveled too fast to have walked that far...the best rule is two Cellos/day within 200 km of Santiago and you will not have any problems...but acquiring a Finisterriana and Muxiana is not that difficult other than you have to find an open staffed office...and journey from Finisterre to Muxia was the best part of the Camino so I did it both ways.

Both the Finisterriana, and the Muxiana, are essentially welcome to our town certificates. They are issued by the respective "chambers of commerce" to thank pilgrims from making the journey to their towns.

Neither has any standing, insofar as regular Compostelas issued by the Cathedral at the Pilgrim Office, do. Neither do the usual rules about sello and distances apply.

My understanding, not having done it, is that you show up, and they give you a certificate.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! She will enjoy something for her wall at home to remember the walk.

Both the Finisterriana, and the Muxiana, are essentially welcome to our town certificates. They are issued by the respective "chambers of commerce" to thank pilgrims for making the journey to their towns.

I hope this helps.
So can you explain why the Pilg. Of. gives stats reagrding Fisterra and Muxia? Someone asked a few days in a separate thread (I tagged you) about the numbers walking that route, FROM Santiago, and the numbers given to the person, based on the Pilg. Of. stats, seemed dismal to me. Why would the Pilg. Of. care about those numbers? What are the odds that the numbers on the website are for people walking INTO Santiago from Fisterra/Muxia. Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Pilgrim Office counts starting places on Caminos INTO Santiago. I do not know (or recall) if it is possible to obtain a Compostela if you start from either place and walk to Santiago. In my recollection, the distance is less than 100 Km, even if you start at Muxia and swing by Finisterre, then head east, towards Santiago.

However, humans being clever and industrious, I suppose there is some way to start at either place and walk in an indirect route to Santiago that may use a section of another Camino route, and lead you into Santiago after 100 + km.

If anyone out there knows this, please jump in. I would have to be at the office to sort this out entirely.

The Pilgrim Office counts starting places on Caminos INTO Santiago. I do not know (or recall) if it is possible to obtain a Compostela if you start from either place and walk to Santiago. In my recollection, the distance is less than 100 Km, even if you start at Muxia and swing by Finisterre, then head east, towards Santiago.

However, humans being clever and industrious, I suppose there is some way to start at either place and walk in an indirect route to Santiago that may use a section of another Camino route, and lead you into Santiago after 100 + km.

If anyone out there knows this, please jump in. I would have to be at the office to sort this out entirely.
Thank you so much. Perhaps you could cut and paste your answer to the post I tagged you on. It made no sense at all that some 50 people only had walked feom Santiago to F/M in March.

I have walked from Finisterre to Santiago via Muxia and got a Compostela and Distance Certificate which records the distance as 120kms.

Thank you Mike. I recalled that there was something about starting in Muxia and Finisterre, and receiving a Compostela. But, not being certain, I could not be categorical.

So, I am very glad Mike weighed-in to help.

Contrary to what some may think, I DO NOT know everything.;)

In my recollection, the distance is less than 100 Km, even if you start at Muxia and swing by Finisterre, then head east, towards Santiago.

I disagree.

Muxia to Finisterre is about 30 km, while Finisterre to Santiago is a around 90 km. That adds up to 120+ km.

Muxia to Santiago is a bit over 87 km. If you walk from Finisterre via Muxia, that adds up to 117+ km - on par with Camino Inglés from Ferrol.

As for the Muxiana, they ask if you have _walked_ to Muxia. My understanding is that you don't get the Muxiana for stepping off the bus.

I got mine from the police office in the city hall, and he did ask. BTW, the local police officer es un hombre muy simpatico.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the information. As I said, I do not know everything. I always appreciate a charitable correction.;)

I remember some debate on the 'meaning' of the 'triangular' walk - Santiago to Muxia / Fisterra and back to Santiago - and whether that constituted a camino to Santiago. Certain that Muxia - Fisterra - Santiago or Fisterra - Muxia - Santiago both meet the 100km to Santiago rule I can only suggest "look to your heart pilgrim" to decide whether your ramble around Galicia meets the criteria set by the cathedral.

Finis Terre is the apotheosis of my journeys. For others its a photo-op. ;)

I have walked from Finisterre to Santiago via Muxia and got a Compostela and Distance Certificate which records the distance as 120kms.
Mike, one follow-up as I am considering doing this on my next trip. Did you do anything for special recognition of your starting point such as starting a fresh (unused) credential at Finisterre or taking a bus from Santiago to F. first?

You most likely obtained two stamps each day of your trek from F. to Muxia to SdC. (I do recall availability of a second stamp in Lires other than As Eiras which I did not get because I only needed one to obtain the Muxiana.)

Also, theoretically I image that a pilgrim could start in Muxia and walk through Finisterre to SdC to obtain a Compostela that would show Muxia as the starting point. Do you agree? Or possibly have you done this?

Thanks, CT

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mike, one follow-up as I am considering doing this on my next trip. Did you do anything for special recognition of your starting point such as starting a fresh (unused) credential at Finisterre or taking a bus from Santiago to F. first?

You most likely obtained two stamps each day of your trek from F. to Muxia to SdC. (I do recall availability of a second stamp in Lires other than As Eiras which I did not get because I only needed one to obtain the Muxiana.)

Also, theoretically I image that a pilgrim could start in Muxia and walk through Finisterre to SdC to obtain a Compostela that would show Muxia as the starting point. Do you agree? Or possibly have you done this?

Thanks, CT
You can start in Finisterre and walk to Muxia then walk on to Santiago where you can get a Compostela for the pilgrimage from Finisterre. You need to get a couple of stamps each day, with the place between Finisterre and Muxia for a stamp being Lires. You can either walk to Finisterre or take a bus, whichever is best for the time you have. I like to get a new credencial in Santiago for the journey, although if you have enough spaces for stamps in a credencial already used on your journey to Santiago, then you could use that one.

Alternatively you could also start in Muxia and walk to Finisterre then walk on to Santiago where you can then get a Compostela for the pilgrimage from Muxia. Again getting a couple of stamps each day including one at Lires on the way from Muxia to Finisterre needs to be done on a fresh credencial or on one already used but which has enough spaces left.

In the past I have walked the coast circuit from Santiago both ways as I had time to walk from Santiago rather than take a bus to the coast.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you a Buen Camino CT.

Mike

There are some very specific and arrogant criteria posted on the door of the albergue. I failed to photograph it, but I hope someone did and will post it here. They don't accept just any old sellos!

Hi, there are more knowledgable people on this board than I. But.
I have walked from Santiago to Finisterre and received a finisteria. I have also taken the bus from Santiago to Finisterre (after Primitivo) , and walked from Finisterre to Muxia, and I was refused a Muxiana at the albergue as I had only walked one day. Which I think is fair.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2017 I'd walk from Irun to Santiago and then carried on to Finisterre. The hospitaleiro at Finisterre Municipal Albergue checked my credential and quizzed me about my walk and if I indeed walked the route from Santiago. It wasn't a problem and issued me my Finisterran. It can be sent on to you via the Council offices if you arrive early and don't wait to the Albergue to open. This year I went to Muxia first and then went to Finisterre and I was awarded both certificates without an issue. However, at Finisterre they made sure I had a stamp from Lires and even asked me that's where I'd come from before they saw it.

I'd suggest you stick to the cathedrals rules about collecting stamps and I personally make sure I have at least two a day. Although I've heard of pilgrims only having one stamp a day and not having an issue. I've also heard of pilgrims producing photos with date stamps and being award certificates.

Buen Camino.

Yes good idea. A cardboard tube can be purchased from the pilgrims office for a couple of euros and you can also buy them from the various shops around the Cathedral. As I carried my tube outside of my rucksack I also took with me a plastic zip freezer bag to project it from the rain etc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I hope this helps.

Neither certificate has any standing with the Catholic church, but the issuing authorities do like to have some assurance that you have indeed done the whole walk. Got mine from Finisterre a couple of days ago and was asked if I'd come from Santiago, and my sells were looked at. A fellow pilgrim was asked if he'd got the bus! Of course, they can't know for certain, but neither can they in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, and I've heard plenty of stories about people cheating.

The Cathedral will tell you that the Camino has nothing to do with the extended walk from Santiago to Finisterra or Muxia. Therefore the rules about receiving the Compostela are not necessarily applied to receiving the Finisterran or the Muxianna. However, they tend to use the same rules as a matter and rule of thumb. My experience is that they do scrutinise the credential, more so in Finisterra than Muxia and that doesn't matter in which direction you come from. The first time I did it I was also asked if I'd taken a bus or taxi? I said after walking 800 plus K's I was unlikely to take any shortcuts now! However, I did hear of a couple plotting to take a bus after the first stage, but I think that was in jest, especially as they'd just done the CF. My advise would always be apply the rules of the Camino to your collection of sellos and collect 2 a day if possible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why even worry?
Carrying the tube around in the pack as you visit other cities in Europe drove us mad 10 years ago so we just stopped thinking about a bit of paper that goes in the draw.

It's only paper. Just mail it back home. A cardboard tube is excellent for that purpose.

I meet a chap on the Primitivo who had done so many Camino's he now didn't bother collecting the Credential. He still walks the Camino at least once a year but just didn't bother with it anymore. How many people do that especially those who have walked a number of times and it never gets registered?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

In 2015, I walked S. J. de P. P. to Santiago, collected my compostela, carried onto Finisterre and collected a Finisterra, carried onto Muxia and collected my Muxiana and then from Muxia walked back to Santiago and collected another Compostela.
Starting at Finisterre, going to Muxia and then to Santiago is approximately 120 kms and once the normal requirement for sellos is met, then you have met the requirement for a Compostela.

Seamus

I walked from Santiago to Muxia, and got a certificate there. Then I walked to Finisterre, and got their certificate too.
What credential did you use for those? Did you need to get a special one or use the same one you use for the Compostela?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did you stop at Lires ?
We did and it made the last 2 days from Le Puy the more memorable .
Slow and peaceful , a beautiful path to wind down.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back