• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 14 yo son is asking to return to the Camino

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
Over the last 3 weeks, my 14 year old son has been asking that we return to the Camino and this time, walk from St. Jean. (We walked from Leon in early Spring last year.) He has brought this up with me at least four times, and I feel I should honor the call that he feels. I am not sure how to carve out the time for the camino during this year. I honestly do not want to meet the crowds in July/August-- but I am working on how to do it.--

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
... I honestly do not want to meet the crowds in July/August-- but I am working on how to do it.--

Is his heart set on the Camino Francés? If not you could chose one of the lesser travelled roads. Buen Camino, SY

If you were from a Commonwealth nation this would fall under the Duke of Edinburgh award. They have to organise and do a trip at each level. My daughter just got her bronze and in April will have completed her Silver. She is coming home today from Malaysia (under the World Challenge scheme) having been hiking in the Cameron Highlands and volunteering at an elephant sanctuary.

If you were from a Commonwealth nation this would fall under the Duke of Edinburgh award. They have to organise and do a trip at each level. My daughter just got her bronze and in April will have completed her Silver. She is coming home today from Malaysia (under the World Challenge scheme) having been hiking in the Cameron Highlands and volunteering at an elephant sanctuary.
Thanks, that's interesting.... (damn the War of Independence! 1776 and all that..) :) We did get our scouting 50 Mile Hike award from our camino last Spring, but I haven't found anything for longer hikes. Maybe with scouting international...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Over the last 3 weeks, my 14 year old son has been asking that we return to the Camino and this time, walk from St. Jean. (We walked from Leon in early Spring last year.)

So, if you walked in "early Spring" (April/May) 2014 there does not seem to be an issue of being excused classes. Having to translate from a southern (as in way down under) and Commonwealth background to your school year not to mention your seasons being upside down is head splitting stuff for me.

Have you considered the start of a school year when there is normally less pressure as exams are more than six months away (if I've got that right). That would be September / October if my mental maths are working.

Would you consider turning right when you get to Leon? So walk St Jean to Leon as you plan and then seeing as you have already done Leon to Santiago, go up the San Salvador and the Primitivo. These two routes were favourites for my kids.

Would you consider turning right when you get to Leon? So walk St Jean to Leon as you plan and then seeing as you have already done Leon to Santiago, go up the San Salvador and the Primitivo. These two routes were favourites for my kids.
Exactly what I was thinking, but first it's a mattwr on how to get out there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Over the last 3 weeks, my 14 year old son has been asking that we return to the Camino and this time, walk from St. Jean. (We walked from Leon in early Spring last year.) He has brought this up with me at least four times, and I feel I should honor the call that he feels. I am not sure how to carve out the time for the camino during this year. I honestly do not want to meet the crowds in July/August-- but I am working on how to do it.--
Hi, it's so great that your son ask you, to return to the Camino. Wish you both happy planning and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Another option - he could join us on the Via de la Plata/Sanabres. I'll have 13 and 15 year old boys and 10 and 12yo girls. If you're worried about whether I'm an axe murderer perhaps Annakappa and Fraluchi could vouch for me;-) And Nate and Faith. They've all met me (and hubby too).

I think it is wonderful that your son wants to go back and finish the Camino with you. What a great thing to do together!
Good luck with the planning and finding time. As Alwyn suggests September/October is not a busy time on the Camino.
Buen Camino to you and your son.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After a year off, our 19-year old now wants to walk with us again in the early spring. He was 8 1/1 the first time, and has walked 6 times. Just catch them young...

(We stopped in Merida on the Via de la Plata when he was about 11, we've dug up our old credenciales from that trip and will probably get to Salamanca this time...)

What a beautiful gif to be asked by your son to walk the Camino de Santiago again !
Try to figure out and enjoy this time with him , one they get 18th they usually fly away!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
He sounds like a very special young man. I walked from St. Jean late Sept until Nov 3rd this year. The weather was beautiful. The very few days of rain in Galacia was a non issue. I hope you get to do it together. I suspect that was part of what made it special for him. Wish you advance Buen Camino.

What a great son - and what a great parent to listen. From your post it seems that you would have difficulties getting out there in 2016 for such a long time.

He is at the age of transition from child to adult so perhaps it is time to bring him in to the adult world of arranging a Camino? Have you thought of discussing, say, 2017 or 2018? Explaining to him fully the costs and the time problems and suggest that you both work towards it and that he might like to set up his own "Camino fund", adding to it by doing such things as washing cars and windows for neighbours and so on?
Then you would both be on a patient and fun planning track, both be involved in the planning and funding - could be good?

To add to @David 's idea: That also would give him time to learn Spanish (unless he already speaks it) which would add so much fun to his way, being able to communicate with the neighbours along the way. Oh, and tell him, he seems to be one of the youngest victims ever to be infected with the Camino Virus - and that it is incurable ;-) SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You sound like a great dad. Finding something that father and son enjoy doing together is a blessing. Something that both of you know is physically and mentally challenging is extremely rare. Savor your relationship with your son, they change all too soon. Let him know how much time you really have and plan your camino together or better yet let him plan your camino. I think he will have a better appreciation of your past efforts and sacrifices. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Many thanks to all who replied. I'm sorry I didn't get back to writing until now. Christmas and a cold have taken up all of my time. ( A late Merry Christmas every one! And Happy St. Steven's Day/Boxing Day!) There was so many great ideas and support given to me in the posts. I showed them to Ciaran, my son, and he gave a smile. He attends an alternative high school here, which bases student evaluations more on projects than on exams. So I do think that this Fall might be possible, as regards to school. I still have to work out horse and other animal care (horses), money, and time, and route. And I am going to involve him more on the budgeting (saving) and working out projects. Again, thanks for everyone's support!

What a beautiful gif to be asked by your son to walk the Camino de Santiago again !
Try to figure out and enjoy this time with him , one they get 18th they usually fly away!!

Yes, my 17 year old who still lives here, has not had a moment for us in the last year. He'll be in university next year... I did ask him if he wanted to walk with us last Spring, and he said "Why don't you just rent a car?". Alright then! He's not quite understanding the Camino. -- I am so happy about Ciaran (my 14 yo) wanting to a second time with me. He and I argued almost daily at 3pm on our Camino, until we started eating large quantities of chocolate at 1 or 2pm. He is more interested in hiking long distances, I am interested in stopping along the way. -- Thanks for your support.

What a great son - and what a great parent to listen. From your post it seems that you would have difficulties getting out there in 2016 for such a long time.

He is at the age of transition from child to adult so perhaps it is time to bring him in to the adult world of arranging a Camino? Have you thought of discussing, say, 2017 or 2018? Explaining to him fully the costs and the time problems and suggest that you both work towards it and that he might like to set up his own "Camino fund", adding to it by doing such things as washing cars and windows for neighbours and so on?
Then you would both be on a patient and fun planning track, both be involved in the planning and funding - could be good?

-- This is a great idea. Thanks!

Another option - he could join us on the Via de la Plata/Sanabres. I'll have 13 and 15 year old boys and 10 and 12yo girls. If you're worried about whether I'm an axe murderer perhaps Annakappa and Fraluchi could vouch for me;-) And Nate and Faith. They've all met me (and hubby too).

Thank-you Rachel! One concern I had last Spring is that we really met no one his age. He took to reading books at the albergues while I chatted away with people. Can you send me information? I think he is really wanting to cross the Pyrenees though. I am not sure why...

I'll be in touch but have a houseful of extras for a couple more days. Don't get too excited though because it sounds like timing will not work. We leave NZ on May 1st.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I could vouch for you too Rachel. Lovely meeting you and your tribe back in 2014 and also seeing you again with your hubby in Santiago last June.

DSCF8120er.jpg

Thanks DevonMike! I hadn't made the connection between your username and your real self! Now I will "hear" every post you write - it was your voice behind me in the queue at the pilgrims' office that I recognised! I love that on each pilgrimage I have met someone from a previous one - I wonder who it will be this year!

Hello everyone! I bought tickets today! It was a spur of the --oh-my-gosh-these-tickets-are-cheap!- moment. $337 round trip from Toronto to Paris! We'll fly from there to Biarritz.

So I bought two tickets --one for Ciaran and one for myself. We leave on April 21 from Toronto, returning May 6th. I figure we can start at SJPP, and end in Burgos in that time. No Compostella for us this time though. :( -- But still! I am so excited. :) ... Now I just have to tell my husband and older son... Time to start walking.

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello everyone! I bought tickets today! It was a spur of the --oh-my-gosh-these-tickets-are-cheap!- moment. $337 round trip from Toronto to Paris! We'll fly from there to Biarritz.

So I bought two tickets --one for Ciaran and one for myself. We leave on April 21 from Toronto, returning May 6th. I figure we can start at SJPP, and end in Burgos in that time. No Compostella for us this time though. :( -- But still! I am so excited. :) ... Now I just have to tell my husband and older son... Time to start walking.

Buen Camino!
kelleymac, how exciting and what a fantastic fare; pray tell, did you find it on Skyscanner?

kelleymac, how exciting and what a fantastic fare; pray tell, did you find it on Skyscanner?

I found the courage to tell my husband. He's supportive! Yay husbands! (Though he did say that at first he was hoping I'd bought the tickets for him and me to go to France for a week.... )

I found it using http://matrix.itasoftware.com. The tickets are with Icelandic Air. I like matrix because it gives the whole roundtrip price (not one way, or with out taxes and fees.) You cannot buy the ticket on matrix, but you can then go to the airline website or a travel agent and buy it. Matrix also shows the whole month of fares and options like nearby airports, length of travel time, date range, etc. Google has bought up matrix, but is still running it for a few years until I guess they will shut it down. The google air fare search is similar, but not as flexible.

We will have to drive 4 hours to Toronto. But that's fine by me. :) Or we may take the train from Syracuse.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back