• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 19 year old has started! He walked SJPDP to Roncesvalles today

KateB

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Hi - I'm Kathy whom you all kindly reassured a few weeks ago when I was worried about my son.
Just a quick update - he crossed the Pyrennes today from SJPDP and is now sleeping in Ronscevalles. He's pretty worn out (he defined it as 'my body is broken' lol).
Thanks for all your thoughts and kind words to me. If you're out there and you see him in your travels, tell him 'mum says hi' :)
Blessings to all of you.
Kathy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kathy, I am so glad!
You seem much more at ease. I remember all the posts! You must have 1 great son to be interested in the Camino at 19! If his 19 year old body is broken, my 53 year old one is in for a BIG shock! LOL

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kathy, if you get a chance to comunicate with your son, remind him that hard runners are dead runners. From Roncesvalles there are still 790 kms to tackle, which should be done with respect to one's body.;)

@ Nuala - he said it's 'pretty chilly' there and the jacket has been fantastic :)

Fraluci - yes I think the issue may have been the altitude - we live on sea level in Australia so climbing mountains is not something he is used to :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi - I'm Kathy whom you all kindly reassured a few weeks ago when I was worried about my son.
Just a quick update - he crossed the Pyrennes today from SJPDP and is now sleeping in Ronscevalles. He's pretty worn out (he defined it as 'my body is broken' lol).
Thanks for all your thoughts and kind words to me. If you're out there and you see him in your travels, tell him 'mum says hi' :)
Blessings to all of you.
Kathy

Hi, Kathy,
So glad that your son has started out and that you are doing well, also. Though his body may have been temporarily broken, I´ll bet that after a good night´s sleep, he was up and raring to go. He's young and likely to bounce back a lot more quickly than some of us. :) And his spirits will get him through a lot of the physical discomfort, I'm sure. Buen camino to you both, since this is going to be a vicarious journey for you as well! Laurie

Blessings to all of you.
Kathy
Hi Kathy, he will do great. I'm in 4 days in Leon and I will have him in my prayers. Wish you well and your son a Buen Camino, Peter.

He'll have a ball Kathy and be perfectly safe amongst the Camino community. I just rolled into Estella a few days ahead of him and my body is definitely broken!

But some sleep will fix it :) I hope...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Kathy- The worst vertical ascent is behind him now. While there will be other walks up to even higher elevations, the first day out of St. Jean is the most difficult as it is the steepest climb. As long as he listens to his body, drinks plenty of water (to avoid sun and heat stroke), and treats his feet BEFORE blisters develop, he will be good to go.

When done, he is going to have the best stories to tell. You may have sent him away a boy, but you will get a more mature individual back. Just remember that, when he returns from a successful Camino, part of him will remain in Santiago for a while. For most of us, it is never a "one and done" thing. He will go quiet in reflection when he recalls his experiences at times. At other times, the stories will come pouring out and he cannot contain himself.

That is all part of the "Caminoitis" that affects so many of us once we have gone the distance and arrived at Sanitago de Compostela. For nearly everyone, it is a profound and life-affecting moment.

For me, at least, doing my first Camino, solo at age 59, it was a unique and defining moment for the rest of my life. Everyone experiences it differently, but most are deeply affected - for the good - by the experience.

I wish your son the best of conditions, health, and a good spirit.

I hope this helps. Stay vertical my friends...

That's great news Kathy, the worst is over for now, he will have a ball.
Wayfarer - he sent me a photo last night - and it's the same one as your avatar! :)

t2Andreo - that is good to know about the ascent from SJPDP. I have read a few books which indicate this is a tough part of the Camino. He just finished high school only last September, so every part of what you have said resonates with me. I am meeting him in Rome in September and I feel I will meet a different son. Thanks for your insight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@KateB What about doing the Camino yourself? You are already connected to it in so many ways! SY

Syates - unfortunately I can't get the time off when it is 'walking season'. I am a teacher but being in Australia, our summer break - when I would have the time - is Northern Hemisphere winter and I'm not even sure anyone walks the Camino of St. Francis in January. Or do they?

...I'm not even sure anyone walks the Camino of St. Francis in January. Or do they?

Yes they do, both the way of St. Francis in Italy as well as the St.James Way in Spain. The roads less travelled, but still very well worth it! Buen Camino! SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Way of St. Francis in Italy? I may have to investigate - that could work for me - thanks for your advice :)

Looking forward to another update on your son's progress. Be sure to keep us posted.

They walked to Larrasoana yesterday and are staying there tonight. They walked 26km and were 1500m above sea level. He said 'my knees are broken but am enjoying this beer!' :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
UPDATE - They walked from Pamplona to Uterga yesterday. Jack is walking in ASICS trainers and has had NO BLISTERS! and no foot pain but lots of shin pain - which is subsiding. He is wearing expensive hiking socks which may be making a difference.
THANKS - to the pilgrim form Sydney, Australia who has been reading this thread and said Hi to Jack and his friends at the albergue in Uterga where they were yesterday!

He's moving right along. It's great that he is sharing his experience with you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Cher - I can't believe the photos - the wildflowers are out and the expanse of yellow is just astonishing - it's so beautiful I'm overwhelmed and lost for words.

@KateB, experienced Pilgrims and masters of El Camino have said over history, "You should Walk like an old man, to arrive to Santiago like a young Man". Blisters are mainly due to wrong shoes and socks, heat, hygiene , so if he has none by now, the only recommendation would be persistent feet hygiene , the heat is not serious problem now.
He must listen to his body and surely his feet, knees normally start complaint by half the way, a day of rest or couple of shorter days a week solves the problem.. Good luck

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back