• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 1st Camino

Phil Cordner

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Hello,

I will be flying into Madrid on 2nd May, landing in the early afternoon. Can anyone help me with the easiest way to get to SJPP? I am scheduled to depart from there on 3rd May.

Thank you and Buen Camino!

Phil

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello,

I will be flying into Madrid on 2nd May, landing in the early afternoon. Can anyone help me with the easiest way to get to SJPP? I am scheduled to depart from there on 3rd May.

A bus from the T-4 terminal to Pamplona, then the ALSA bus to SJPdP is easiest if the connections match.

Phil,
I am thinking your schedule is a little tight.
It is more or less a 3 hour train or bus ride from Madrid to Pamplona and 7 1/2 hours by bus from Pamplona to SJPP.
Alternately, it is 5 1/2 hours by train from Madrid to Hendaye, France and 1 1/2 hours by train from Hendaye to SJPP.
None of this is taking connections into account. Also, not taking jet lag into account.
Last year I flew from Colorado, USA to Madrid, then plane to Porto to start my Camino. I was totally knackered and my first day on the Camino was very difficult.

Give yourself a little time.

Buen Camino.

Stephen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,

Thank you and Buen Camino!

Phil

Last CONDA bus to SJPdP leaves Pamplona at 1730.

Last SNCF train to SJPdP leaves Bayonne at 1806.

Unfortunately, you have to take bus or train from Madrid to either Pamplona or Bayonne via San Sebastian and leave before noon in order to make the connections.

So, the only way to get to Pamplona on time is to find a flight from Madrid.

The only way to get to Bayonne on time is to find a flight from Madrid to either San Sebastian EAS or Biarritz BIQ.

From PNA take taxi to Pamplona bus station.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Pamplona/en/

From EAS take taxi to Gare d'Hendaye, about 5km, and SNCF train to Bayonne.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-San-Sebastian/en/

From BIQ take chronoplus bus 14 to Gare de Bayonne
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil,
I am thinking your schedule is a little tight.
It is more or less a 3 hour train or bus ride from Madrid to Pamplona and 7 1/2 hours by bus from Pamplona to SJPP.
Alternately, it is 5 1/2 hours by train from Madrid to Hendaye, France and 1 1/2 hours by train from Hendaye to SJPP.
None of this is taking connections into account. Also, not taking jet lag into account.
Last year I flew from Colorado, USA to Madrid, then plane to Porto to start my Camino. I was totally knackered and my first day on the Camino was very difficult.

Give yourself a little time.

Buen Camino.

Stephen

Are you SURE it is 7.5 hours from Pamplona to SJPP?????
Maybe if you WALK?

I go every year and it takes me 1.5 hours!

I think the 7 is a typo - it should be a 1. As in, 1.5 hours, not 7.5 hours.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Both ALSA buses from Pamplona to SJPdP are late in the day, so you are likely to miss them on the 2nd, and will have to wait on the 3rd. Last year in May a morning bus was added, but ALSA has not announced it yet for this year.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back