• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 1st Camlno, advice please

Mike J D

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago
Hi there. Starting my 1st Camino in early August and would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Arriving in London from Australia on Aug 1st then fly into Lisbon on the 3rd around noon and plan to pick up a set of poles from Decathlon then take a bus straight to Fatima. I'll spend that night and some of the next day investigating Fatima before travelling to Porto by bus.
Day 1 - Porto to Vila do Conde 31km I plan to set off on my Camino from Porto along the coast to Villa do Conde on the 5th. If I have time the previous afternoon/evening I may walk along the river to Metosinhos, before catching a bus back to my accommodation in Porto, then I can bus it back to Metosinhos in the morning to resume my walk north. That should then be only a 22km day to Vila do Conde.
Day 2 - Vila do Conde to Barcelos 27km
Day 3 - Barcelos to Casa Fernanda 19km
Day 4 - Casa Fernanda to Rubiaes 30km (a little worried about the long day and quite hilly I believe)
Day 4 - Rubiaes to Valenca 19km
Day 5 - Valenca to Redondela 31km (I'm a little worried about the distance)
Day 6 - Redondela to Pontevedra 19km
Day 7 - Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 23km
Day 8 - Caldas de Reis to Padron 19km
Day 9 - Padron to Santiago DC 25km
Day 10 Fly out of Santiago back to London Aug 15th at 7pm.
I plan on staying at Albergues or perhaps some fire-houses, should I phone ahead and pre-book my accommodation? and if so how far ahead?
At the moment I have that last day in reserve just in case I have a problem. My 1st two days are long because I'm really trying to stay at Casa Fernanda. I plan on travelling very light and carry all my gear.
Could I improve my scheduling?
I'm travelling light and only taking, 1 pair of shoes, 1 pair of flip-flops, hat, 3 shirts, 1 shorts, 1 long pants with zipp off legs, 1 wind proof vest, 3 underwear, 3 pair socks, water bottle, razor, tooth brush & paste, soap & shampoo, mini towel sun screen, IPhone and charger, just a sleeping bag liner & inflatable pillow, mini light, sunglasses, ear plugs, a poncho, walking poles and guide book.
Any other items that would be an absolute necessity?
I'm not worried about sightseeing in Lisbon and Porto because later in September I'll be returning to these two cities with friends before flying back to Australia.
I'd truly appreciate any advice, thanks.
Mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Mike:

Your itinerary is certainly ambitious. I do not know your physical conditioning, but presume you are in very good shape.

I cycled from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela with a fully (perhaps overloaded) mountain bike that I rented. My Caminho began in early September. It took me about three weeks as I did a lot of sightseeing along the way.

Be prepared for a very hilly trek. The Caminho Portugues is not as well marked as the Camino Frances. However, the route from Porto is marked significantly better than Lisbon to Porto. Still I would advise taking a compass, you can easily get lost. Take some vaseline to massage your feet both before after trekking. My recollection of Ponte de Lima to Valenca is of a 4.5 Km hard climb over the Alta da Portela Grande. It was very muddy and one kept losing both balance and footing.

When leaving Valenca heading for Porrino, take the more attractive stream side park approach along the Rio Loura. Avoid the industrial center even if the arrows, mischievously placed by locals who want you to use their facilities. There is another climb to Mos and Monte Cornedo that was challenging.

Be sure to book some time at the hot springs in Caldas de Reis. I stayed at one of the hotels as opposed to the albergue which wasn't so appealing at the time.

I can't say enough good things about the Portuguese, the countryside and the food.

Bom Caminho

Hi Mike
I've finished as well my first CP 2 weeks ago.
Ur packing list I think is enough whatever u miss u can provide on ur way.
Ur route seems to be ok. I usually was done with my planned routes- 24k average- at 2pm and simply moved on. I don't think 30k is too much if u enjoy walking.
Therefore I wd not bother too much abt the route- u got a good plan and on ur way u can adapt.
U can't book in advance in the albergues and maybe u search in the forum there r some people hear who can tell u how busy it cd be in Aug.

Enjoy it- I loved it!

Hi there. Starting my 1st Camino in early August and would appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Arriving in London from Australia on Aug 1st then fly into Lisbon on the 3rd around noon and plan to pick up a set of poles from Decathlon then take a bus straight to Fatima. I'll spend that night and some of the next day investigating Fatima before travelling to Porto by bus.
Day 1 - Porto to Vila do Conde 31km I plan to set off on my Camino from Porto along the coast to Villa do Conde on the 5th. If I have time the previous afternoon/evening I may walk along the river to Metosinhos, before catching a bus back to my accommodation in Porto, then I can bus it back to Metosinhos in the morning to resume my walk north. That should then be only a 22km day to Vila do Conde.
Day 4 - Casa Fernanda to Rubiaes 30km (a little worried about the long day and quite hilly I believe)
I plan on staying at Albergues or perhaps some fire-houses, should I phone ahead and pre-book my accommodation? and if so how far ahead?
At the moment I have that last day in reserve just in case I have a problem. My 1st two days are long because I'm really trying to stay at Casa Fernanda. I plan on travelling very light and carry all my gear.
I'm travelling light and only taking, 1 pair of shoes, 1 pair of flip-flops, hat, 3 shirts, 1 shorts, 1 long pants with zipp off legs, 1 wind proof vest, 3 underwear, 3 pair socks, water bottle, razor, tooth brush & paste, soap & shampoo, mini towel sun screen, IPhone and charger, just a sleeping bag liner & inflatable pillow, mini light, sunglasses, ear plugs, a poncho, walking poles and guide book.
I'm not worried about sightseeing in Lisbon and Porto because later in September I'll be returning to these two cities with friends before flying back to Australia.
Mike

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Mike
Take the train. quicker. When you leave Vila do Conde stop and spend the night in Rates the go on to Barcelos. When you leave Mama Fernandas house spend the night in Ponte de Lima. Be sure to visit the border fort in Valenca. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

If you are going to use your phone, get a sim card in Spain. Much cheaper to use. Your packing list seems very practical. Maybe earplugs, if you are a light sleeper. Maybe some medical tape and bandages for blisters, although you can get that there. Duct tape wrapped around your walking sticks for needed repairs. A small journal if you want to record your days. It is hard to remember the trip afterwards without it. Buen camino!

Mike
Btw regarding marking- I only used the guide between Villa de Condo onwards 10k then the arrows appear again. I cannot compare to CF but I found it sufficient.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mike
Looks like a good packing list, you could even consider taking less shirts,most Albergues have a sink and line for washing. You can book private albergues and hostels etc. Might be worth considering especially if arriving anywhere later in the afternoon, sometimes it's good to know there's a bed waiting. You'll probably get a good sense of how necessary that is once you've got going. Just follow the arrows, it's well way marked except the Vila do Condo to Rates section. Have a great time, it's a lovely Camino.

Hi Mike, Remember to phone in advance of your arrival at Casa Fernanda to book a place. A couple of people I walked with for a short stretch had not done so and had to be turned away when they arrived. I would second Urban Trekker's suggestion of starting from Vila do Conde and staying at Rates, then later in Ponte de Lima. As you are from Australia the high temperatures will probably feel comfortable to you where they were absolutely draining for me, but do remember to carry sufficient water and food (snacks like dried fruit, chocolate etc.), the CP does not have the frequency of cafes and fountains that the CF offers. I would urge you (if it is possible by extending some of the stretches, for example, instead of stopping in Padron continuing on to Teo, or not stopping in Valenca but crossing over to Tui) to have longer in SdC. It is much more than the destination to any Camino and you need time to assimilate that. I do think that your planned Day 4 will put pressure on you, but then I am 66 years old and have to take my time on climbs such as the one after Ponte de Lima, you will probably zip along without difficulty. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Be prepared for a very hilly trek. The Caminho Portugues is not as well marked as the Camino Frances. However, the route from Porto is marked significantly better than Lisbon to Porto. Still I would advise taking a compass, you can easily get lost. My recollection of Ponte de Lima to Valenca is of a 4.5 Km hard climb over the Alta da Portela Grande. It was very muddy and one kept losing both balance and footing.
Bom Caminho

I just got back last week from walking this route and I can tell you it is perfectly marked with no chance at all of getting lost. Also, hills are not an issue, except two short ones, and they are down hill. Oh, and a 4 meter long one going uphill. The hill into Rubiaes does exist, but it is not a painful walk up that will require you to stop and catch your breath, and you can always opt to walk on the main road as many do.

Thank you so much everyone for the replies, they are a great help.
I believe my fitness should not be a problem as I am currently doing three 15klm runs every week. I was just a little worried about the accumulative effect walking consecutive 20k+ days over cobbles and rough terrain may have on my knees. That's why I will use the walking sticks on my Camino. From early July I will switch from running to walking 10k every day with long walks on the weekend.
Does anyone know of the pilgrim mass in Barcelos? and its time?
Is there a page on this forum that has the names and phone numbers of the Albergues?
And I assume I would phone these to book a bed about 2 days in advance?
There is no doubt I will think of more questions soon.
Thanks again everyone.

Thank you so much everyone for the replies, they are a great help.
I believe my fitness should not be a problem as I am currently doing three 15klm runs every week. I was just a little worried about the accumulative effect walking consecutive 20k+ days over cobbles and rough terrain may have on my knees. That's why I will use the walking sticks on my Camino. From early July I will switch from running to walking 10k every day with long walks on the weekend.
Does anyone know of the pilgrim mass in Barcelos? and its time?
Is there a page on this forum that has the names and phone numbers of the Albergues?
And I assume I would phone these to book a bed about 2 days in advance?
There is no doubt I will think of more questions soon.
Thanks again everyone.
Buy the Brierly guide for the Portuguese, it will give you the albergue information to book ahead. No idea if there's a pilgrim mass or not in Barcelos, don't think I noticed one in Portugal at all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back