• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 20 stage Camino Frances

supersullivan

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria-Santiago 2012. SJPP-Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia 2013. Ponferrada-Santiago June 2014. Leon-Santiago-Finisterre September 2014. April-May 2015: SJPP- S de C- Finisterre -Muxia- S de C.
Just home from what is likely to be my last camino on the C.F. until I retire and can take on the Vezelay- Santiago route in one easy summer so wanted to push myself hard this time.

Friday 24/4/15: St Jean pied de Port ( Albergue du Pelerin ) to Burguete ( Hostal Burguete ) 28.5 kms
Saturday 25/4/15: Burguete to Pamplona ( Albergue Jesus y Maria ) 43.5 kms
Sunday 26/4/15: Pamplona to Lorca ( Albergue Lorca - Jose Ramon ) 41.5 kms
Monday 27/4/15: Lorca to Torres del Rio ( Albergue La Pata de Oca ) 45.4 kms
Tuesday 28/4/15: Torres del Rio to Ventosa ( Hostal Las Aguedas ) 41.7 kms
Wednesday 29/4/15: Ventosa to Castildelgado ( Hostal El Chocalatero ) 47.1 kms
Thursday 30/4/15: Castildelgado to Atapuerca ( Albergue El Peregrino ) 43.5 kms
Friday 1/5/15: Atapuerca to Hontanas ( Albergue Juan de Yepes ) 56.4 kms
Saturday 2/5/15: Hontanas to Poblacion de Campos ( Albergue Municipal ) 40.6 kms
Sunday 3/5/15: Poblacion de Campos to Moratinos ( Hostal Moratinos ) 47.5 kms
Monday 4/5/15: Moratinos to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos ( Albergue Via Trajana ) 25.4 kms
Tuesday 5/5/15: Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to Leon ( Parador San Marcos ) 45.4 kms
Wednesday 6/5/15: Leon to Villares de Orbigo ( Albergue Villares ) 38.1 kms
Thursday 7/5/15: Villares de Orbigo to Rabanal del Camino ( Hosteria A Cruz de Ferro ) 35.5 kms
Friday 8/5/15: Rabanal del Camino to Cacabelos ( Hotel Villa de Cacabelos ) 50.4 kms
Saturday 9/5/15: Cacabelos to Alto do Poio ( Hostal Santa Maria de Poio ) 48.9 kms
Sunday 10/5/15: Alto do Poio to Sarria ( Meson Camino Frances ) 33.1 kms
Monday 11/5/15: Sarria to Palas de Rei ( Pension Guntina ) 47.3 kms
Tuesday 12/5/15: Palas de Rei to O Pedrouzo ( Pension Codesal ) 51.5 kms
Wednesday 13/5/15: O Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela ( San Martin Pinario ) 21.6 kms

Distances are G.P.S. measured from departure of my overnight accommodation to arrival at next nights accommodation and include any extra walking trying to find my accommodation ( lost my bearings totally in Pamplona and probably an extra 5 kms in that days figures, went for a stroll in Estrella while waiting for friends to arrive etc ) but don't include any walking to find dinner location etc.
Distance covered was 832.78 kms ( 41.64 kms daily average ) in a walking time of 150 hours 17 minutes for a moving average speed of 5.54 kms an hour.

Thursday 14/5/14: Santiago de Compostela to Vilarserio ( Albergue Municipal basico ) 35.9 kms
Friday 15/5/15: Vilarserio to Cee ( Hotel Insua ) 41.9 kms
Saturday 16/5/15: Cee to Finisterre including to Cabo Finisterre ( Pension Lopez ) 22.8 kms
Sunday 17/5/15: Finisterre to Muxia ( Hotel 'a de lolo' ) 32.2 kms
Monday 18/5/15: Muxia to A Picota ( unregistered pension ) 45.0 kms
Tuesday 19/5/15: A Picota to Negreira ( Pension La Mezquito ) 33.6 kms
Wednesday 20/5/15: Negreira to Santiago de Compostela ( Pension Alfonso ) 21.9 kms.

My 27 days saw me cover 1,066.09 kms in a walking time of 192 hours 57 minutes for a moving average speed of 5.53 kms an hour. Not to everyone's taste I know but as we say in Ireland: ' time enough to rest when they're screwing on your coffin lid'.

As a slightly overweight, cigar smoking, type 2 diabetic I hope this might give cause to others not to set their bar too low in what they aim to physically achieve, with proper preparation your limits may be a lot more than you give yourself credit for. In just over 2,800 kms on my different caminos I have yet to have a single blister.

Buen camino to all

Seamus

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations! You are truly a SUPERSullivan. I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack just reading about it. I admire your accomplishment tremendously but that pace will never be a goal for me.

I am thinking what an animal. Met 2 others that did 40-45k per day both from the UK Wales & England. I am impressed the fellow from Wales explained it was the Holy Spirit & he did it yearly. Could it be all the peas you folks eat? :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I know to put it mildly that stages that length are not for everyone but I was able to enjoy some glorious afternoons and evenings when I felt like I had the camino to myself and no one to say 'Buen camino' to. A great time for 'decluttering' one's head from the trifling concerns of everyday life. I do intend when I retire in about 5 years to return and have a more 'normal' camino. Very noticeable this year on the leg out to Finisterre and Muxia the large percentage who were choosing to walk back to Santiago, there also seems to be a noticeable increase in 'touregrinos' from Leon onwards compared to previous experiences.
I'll be putting pics from each day on the 'where did you walk today' segment of the forum over the next couple of days which will include a little commentary on the daily stages.

Last edited:
That's amazing Seamus! Hats off.
I guess now I know why that Slovenian student in your avatar was so happy ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Outstanding, Seamus.

A magnificent achievement.

I think too many people confine themselves to "Brierleys" - the recommended daily distances as set out in John Brierley's guide - when in fact they could easily do another few kilometres. The only day I bettered one of yours was when I walked from St Jean to Espinal - 32 kms - but I know that had I wanted to I could have managed more on most days.

Please let us into your secret for avoiding blisters.

Regards from a fellow Paddy,

John

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Outstanding, Seamus.

A magnificent achievement.

I think too many people confine themselves to "Brierleys" - the recommended daily distances as set out in John Brierley's guide - when in fact they could easily do another few kilometres. The only day I bettered one of yours was when I walked from St Jean to Espinal - 32 kms - but I know that had I wanted to I could have managed more on most days.

Please let us into your secret for avoiding blisters.

Regards from a fellow Paddy,

John

John, I was tempted to go on for Espinal but as I'd stayed in Burgete previously I took advantage of my early arrival to catch up on some badly needed sleep before having dinner. If you check my postings in the 'where did you walk today' you'll see I do a lot of hillwalking so my feet are well conditioned for the pounding they will take on the camino, as I weigh about 95 kilos pre-camino, I use a lighter version of my normal hill walking boots because of the impact and high wool content hiking socks ( Bridgedale in my case ). I think that anyone who pretends there is a single answer to avoiding blisters is being foolish as there are such variations in body weight, stride and impact pattern etc. I would strongly suggest that every hour spent walking pre camino is time well invested but that many planning a camino do not do long enough preparation walks and probably fail to carry a fully laden backpack when they do. If you're planning on walking 20 km days on the camino then try to do a few 25 km walks with your backpack fully loaded 4 to 8 weeks before departure which should let you identify if and where you body might suffer.

If you're planning on walking 20 km days on the camino then try to do a few 25 km walks with your backpack fully loaded 4 to 8 weeks before departure which should let you identify if and where you body might suffer.

I did. And it did.....

I developed Achilles Tendonitis 4-5 weeks before my Camino......

I guess we all prepare differently. I would just urge caution.

Next time I would do less training and use the first few days for 'training on the job' with shorter days, gradually building up. Which is what I ended up having to do anyway.

I've made it to Leon so far...... fingers crossed I'll get to Santiago in a couple more weeks.

I am now an expert on walking with Achilles Tendonitis :)

http://robscamino.com/tips-on-tendonitis/

Since I shot that video, I now ice my heels every coffee stop. Plus do a sock change.

This one might be Handy too....
http://robscamino.com/foot-care/

Last edited:
Hey Seamus,

what footwear did you use?
did you ever have trouble finding accommodation after a long days walk?
what gadget did you use to track your distance covered?

thanks a mill!

I'll be doing full Camino F. in July!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seamus,
They may be screwing the kid on your coffin sooner than you think if you keep up that pace.
Only joking, fair play to you.
I'm in Najera tonight on a 1 week mini camino with my 3 sisters. Having a great time ( well can't keep at the moment due to too much vino blanco and 1 sister and her bloody snoring!!!
BTW think my brother in law knows you from former cycling days.?

Seamus, Can I have some of whatever you are on!!!
I'm starting next tuesday from St J PdeP & was a bit concerned that 30k to 35k per day might be a bit ambitious.
Great to see such achievement -Well done.
Ros.

Hey Seamus,

what footwear did you use?
did you ever have trouble finding accommodation after a long days walk?
what gadget did you use to track your distance covered?

thanks a mill!

I'll be doing full Camino F. in July!

Jenblay

Footwear: Meindl Meran GTX trail walking boots. reason: I weigh about 95 kgs before starting a camino so with a 10 kg load that's 105 kgs impact on my feet every step. I wanted the extra support from boots, this model particularly suits me as I have a broad toe spread and these are one of the widest toe compartment boots available in Ireland. I had used the self same boots on my 2013 980 km camino so knew they were perfect for me. My normal hill walking boots weigh 2.0 kg in a size 11, the Merans weigh 1.55 kg and also have a softer sole compound than normal hillwalking boots so more suitable for the stretches of pavement and road walking involved. Perfect for me but then I do several hundred hours of hiking in boots each year but footwear is such an individual thing.

On about 3 occasions, the ones to be careful of in my mind are your stages after Burgos and Leon, there are such large numbers leaving these towns daily that the 20 to 25 km albergues from there can fill very easily.

My luxury device on the camino was my Garmin Montana G.P.S. which I normally use when hillwalking in the Irish mountains.

Have a great camino in July

Seamus

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back