• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My 2016 Unpacking list: What I will/won't pack next time

Fritz

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP- Muxia (2013)
Frances San Sebastian-Bilbao-Belarado-SDC (2016)
Frances SJPDP(2020)
Good day all, I'm now back about a week from my 2016 Camino -- with time on both the Norte and the Frances and hoped to share my thoughts as I unpack in hopes it helps future pilgrims. Three quick notes and then into the list!

First I'm 6'1 (1.8m) tall and 185 - 190 pounds (85 kg) and 56 years old (9 years in "dog years").

Second, this isn't a product review or comparison but a starting point perhaps? where I can I'll include a link to the product web site -- I have no affiliations with any of the companies.

Third, my pack weight was 7 kg (plus I wore 2.2 kg including hiking shoes).

I began October 14, 2016 in Pamplona,then took a bus to walk part of the Norte San Sebastian - Bilbao and then returned to Logroño and walked to Santiago, leaving for home on November 21. My temperature highs and lows -- according to green pharmacy signs, was 25 Celsius and 0 Celsius.

The first things I will pack for my next camino.
  • Outer gear
  1. Altus Rain Poncho (purchased on 2013 Camino)I'm not sure of the make, I think they currently only make the Atmospheric, mine is the lime green color with a zipper and velcro in front. I have a size Large, and an Extra large would be a bit better for me and my pack. If possible try it on with your loaded pack.
  2. Marmot Precip Jacket. I learned of this jacket from a number of posts and pilgrims on this forum. I love this jacket, especially when paired with the vest below. It is pricy, but you can find sales and close-outs on the web.
  3. Patagonia Down Sweater Vest. I chose this over a fleece and for me, it was awesome. Both this and the Marmot self-store in their own zipper pocket (no separate bag to misplace) and between the two I could adjust my warmth to match the temperature and my exertion. This too can be found on sale and at close outs.
  4. Buff. Another 2013 Camino purchase. Many uses, easy to pack.
  • Clothing
  1. Pants/trousers. I had 1 pair of Columbia and a pair of North Face in medium weights and with zip off legs. Both have built in belts a plus as your weight may change on the camino. The North Face pants have color coded leg zippers -- making it easier to figure out right leg/left leg. I like the belt better on the Columbia and the Columbia has a "device" pocket which is nice for a small guidebook, phone, what ever.
  2. Stoic merino wool base layer. I bought the lightest weight, knowing I could wear more than one if it was cold. These were a forum recommendation from @Melensdad, purchased from Steep and Cheep. These are not always in stock. If there were a fire in the albergue and I could only save one thing, this would be it. (although modesty might suggest I grab something else!)
  3. Long sleeve North Face ventilated shirt (circa 1996, an old favorite). Synthetic and easy to dry, made a nice extra layer on cool mornings.
  4. Socks. I started with Icebreaker liner socks and Smart wool, and the Smart wool were old and worn out so I bought new at the camping store in Santo Domingo.
  • Gear
  1. Camelbak -- I have the 2 liter reservior with the big bite valve and I packed a replace valve as they can pull off.
  2. Backpack cover Kelty. In a light mist, the Precip jacket and a backpack cover where more than enough protection.
  3. REI Microfiber towel. These are always small compared to a hotel bath towel, but work well, dry quickly and store easily. If I took a later afternoon shower, and draped the towel over a rack, it would be dry in the morning.
  4. Silk Sleping bag liner. I used this everynight, most nights only this.
  5. Trangoworld Mummy bag, Model LC 450 rated Comfort +13c Limit +9c Extreme -3c. (I think the current model has different ratings. This bag was a 2013 purchase in Castrojirez, and was too warm most nights, but un zipped and used as a blanket was comfortable.
Things I would take - but with some changes
  1. Kelty Redwing pack 50 L this pack performed flawlessly -- but what would I change? 50 L is too big for the time of year. I had plenty of room and would recommend either the Redwing 44 and if possible, the Redwing 32. I knew this when I bought it and bought the 50L in anticipation of either future hikes needing a tent or cooking gear, and for a full photography kit. I'm an author and journalist and for this Camino, I needed the full size pack -- but with just my personal stuff, it was too big.
Things I wont take again
  1. TEVA sandals. A second set of sandals/shoes seemed like a good idea, these weigh 800 grams and yes I wore the 3 or 4 times, but I'd leave them at home. Maybe I would take lightweight sandals or water shoes.
  2. Toiletries. A matter of preference, but these are simple and easy to buy in Spain.
  3. Shoes Solomon XA Pro 3d Mountain Trail (GoreTex). I wore these in 2013 and was thrilled, and wore the non Gore Tex version for everyday shoes after. I can't fully blame the shoes, but something changed. Once I began walking on coarse gravel, especially between Ventosa and Santo Domingo, I felt as if I was walking bare foot, feeling every stone, I swapped the insoles with gel padded ones in Burgos and then later developed blisters which I attribute to my change in walking movement to accommodate the bruises on the soles of my feet.
I've attached a PDF with the individual weights along with some other items which were minimal in weight but I included as well.

I mentioned that I carried a full camera kit and I can detail that in a separate post, most people wont be carrying a full kit for a working assignment, but I can tell you it is possible and reasonable to do.

Fritz

Attachments

• Fritz2016Unpacking.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 101
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why the redundancy of a poncho and a rain jacket?

I always learn something from my after action reviews. Even if it just confirms that I made the right decision.

Great question. In 2013 I had a lot of rain days and the poncho was an all-in one cover and worn over the back pack and it kept me very dry.

This year, while walking, I had 2 half days of mist and one half day of rain. But I wore the jacket a few days as an additional outer layer for warmth -- and sometimes at night.

In light rain and mist, the jacket and backpack cover are ideal -- but when the rain hits hard, the poncho is the best choice for me. If I had to choose only one, it would be the poncho. Especially in hotter weather. With the uncertain fall temps, the Precip did double duty. Hope that helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After my last CF (mid July-mid August) I know for sure what I will not bring again if I did it during that time frame again, and that's rain gear. I've walked the CF twice in that time frame and was not rained on once. Zero. That's over 60 days.
Also this last time it was darn hot. I had a fleece I never wore. Wouldn't bring that again. In fact I've concluded I could have walked that CF with about 5 kg of pack and gear at the most, and that includes water. I could have easily done it with a 20-25L pack. There was no need for a sleeping bag and even my bag liner I didn't use every night. The only reason I had long pants with me was for travelling, but otherwise I never wore them. I should have brought a pair of convertible pants instead. Yup, a pair of convertible pants, a pair of running shorts and a long sleeved tech t-shirt and a short sleeved one was all I needed, and a set of rubber sandals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ha!
not sure if I want to know what a "scantie" is, but have heard the word "buff" used on here, but still don't know what that it is....is like a poofy thing or something? women carry it?
Buffs are worn by men and women. They are tubes that go around the neck like a scarf, on the head like a beanie, wear as a head band, pulled up from neck for a face warmer. The only thing they'd be good for in the summer is to soak in water and hope they do a bit of cooling. I wear mine practically all the time in the spring and fall.

In summer they stop your neck getting sun burn as well as the water idea. But they have lots of other uses such as towel, repair strap, emergency bandage, tourniquet, bank robbing mask, etcetera;)
You never know when you're gonna need a bank robbing mask. :p:D:p

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OK...now I know what is being referred to as a "buff". I've seen those around for years. Some of the guys had those in Afghanistan, but didn't know they were called buffs. It does look very versatile and handy. Can't say I ever needed one for my Caminos. It just never got that cold on any of them to need a neck or head protector.

I've walked the CF twice in that time frame and was not rained on once. Zero. That's over 60 days.
What?! Wow. Unimaginable good luck.
Ha ha...You may need a bigger sample size to justify being so blase, Mark. o_O
And watch out next time. Mother Nature will no doubt richly reprimand the hubris that tells you to go out there sans raingear.:D:p:D

25% of my Camino was under rain, fog, mist and cold. This was in the second half of September. I would not omit packing rain gear. I used everything I packed except for the second notebook as I chose to write double-sided in my journal.;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What?! Wow. Unimaginable good luck.
Ha ha...You may need a bigger sample size to justify being so blase, Mark. o_O
And watch out next time. Mother Nature will no doubt richly reprimand the hubris that tells you to go out there sans raingear.:D:p:D
Well, there were next time(s). Two more in between during different months during the summer and on those two I think I got a total of maybe 4 days of real, actual, rain. I don't count a drizzle that lasts 15 minutes or so. I don't even put the waterproof pack cover on for those. I mean real rain.
So I would estimate (as best as I can) that I had 4 rainy days (maybe 5?) out of about 130 days total on the CF.
Not bad, huh? :cool:
I've come to the conclusion that during the summer months, rain gear carried should be minimal and lower on the priority list.

Ah, well. Watch out for spring, then. A different kettle of fish, with driving rain and sometimes sleet. Freezing wind too. Take gloves.
Well damn, almost like you want me to get rained on. :D
Actually, not totally an accident I experienced less rain. A simple check of weather patterns in the past lets you know which months rain the most and one can plan accordingly.
I don't like being rained on or freezing me arse off. Especially don't like being rained on whilst freezing my arse off. :D Did enough of that in the military (try living in a shelter half in that stuff) and in prior work where I was outdoors everyday (and nights). Had to do it then, don't have to do it now. Last thing I'm gonna do is plan a holiday where I slosh around in the rain and sleet and snow. Mama didn't raise no fool. Unless I'm duck hunting, I'm inside drinking a toddy when there's weather like that. :D
and I hate wearing gloves...ha ha

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Fritz thanks for your observations, your pack list and what you wouldn't take next time.

I know these can be quite personal and often what you end up with is very dependent on what your local shops have in stock.

One thing puzzled me though. You list the Camelbak. But I could not see the (starting) contents themselves being listed. Or have I missed something.

Once again, thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rain Gear - I have hiked in the rain without the use of a rain coat or poncho. It depends on the weather conditions. Sometimes you end up getting soaked under your rain gear from the heat and physical exertion. Rain gear is breathable to a point. Rain coat guy considering adding a cuban fiber rain kilt to my kit.

Buff - Invaluable for sun protection ... they have UV versions. I wear one around my neck when I am on the boat.

The thing I won't be bringing next year!
When I was in Espelette in October on the Camino Baztan, I felt it would be churlish not to buy a small memento, a jar of Espelette peppers. They are rather like paprika, but they are appelation d'origine contrôlée. It is only about 150g. I pushed it deep into a side pocket of my bag. Since when they have been to Barcelona, Ljubljana, Porto and all along the CP until I discovered them on arrival in SdC last week. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
considering adding a cuben fiber rain kilt to my kit.

I trialled a cuben fibre kilt. It was effective at keeping the rain off shorts. On the other hand, like much wet weather gear there was a lack of practicality in deployment once steady persistent rain had set in. In particular, the pack must be removed. And it is styled more like a skirt so doesn't achieve the natural air-conditioning of a normal kilt (or a kilt look-alike). (On the other hand my pack, bag, tent and related items come from the same supplier and have all worked well over about 2,500 km (around 1,600 miles) over two seasons)

I chose instead a kilt look-alike. Made of polyester and weighing about 300 gram it had two layers in front and, with the pleating, several layers behind. The polyester dried quickly and the swish when walking sets up a lovely air-conditioning in warm weather and keeps naturally warmed air semi-trapped in colder weather. Plus, from the hips down, any wet fabric makes minimal contact with the legs compared to wet shorts/trousers.

In 2014 I only carried 10 kilos. Put it up to 13 kilos in 2014. No problems either time. Next year putting more in the pack as you don't feel any weight after ten days.
Trecile--saw you many times--did you notice that Poul and I never used our hip belts? Most guys we saw did not use them until after lunch and wonder why people just don't cut them off if they are so worried about weight. Doing the Norte in 2017 .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2014 I only carried 10 kilos. Put it up to 13 kilos in 2014. No problems either time. Next year putting more in the pack as you don't feel any weight after ten days.
Trecile--saw you many times--did you notice that Poul and I never used our hip belts? Most guys we saw did not use them until after lunch and wonder why people just don't cut them off if they are so worried about weight. Doing the Norte in 2017 .
I didn't notice, but why carry all the weight your shoulders???

OK...now I know what is being referred to as a "buff". I've seen those around for years. Some of the guys had those in Afghanistan, but didn't know they were called buffs. It does look very versatile and handy. Can't say I ever needed one for my Caminos. It just never got that cold on any of them to need a neck or head protector.

Wearing my buff...by a beer

Attachments

• 20161015_160904-1.jpg
    20161015_160904-1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
Yeah, no need to keep all the weight on the shoulders all the time. I would often loosen up the hip belt and give the hips a rest and carry the weight on my shoulders, and then switch back to the weight on the hips, but 90% of the time I had the weight on the hips. I don't think cutting off/removing the hip belt would be much of a weight difference to the pack, and not practical. You've eliminated the versatility of having both options.
I think like most people I believe that keeping the pack as light as possible is more important.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Fritz

One thing puzzled me though. You list the Camelbak. But I could not see the (starting) contents themselves being listed. Or have I missed something.

Once again, thanks

You are welcome. I've gained so much from the forum, I am happy to share what I can in hopes it helps others. If I did it right at the bottom of my original post is the link to an attached .pdf file with my packing list and weights. Hope this helps.

Good day all, I'm now back about a week from my 2016 Camino -- with time on both the Norte and the Frances and hoped to share my thoughts as I unpack in hopes it helps future pilgrims. Three quick notes and then into the list!

First I'm 6'1 (1.8m) tall and 185 - 190 pounds (85 kg) and 56 years old (9 years in "dog years").

Second, this isn't a product review or comparison but a starting point perhaps? where I can I'll include a link to the product web site -- I have no affiliations with any of the companies.

Third, my pack weight was 7 kg (plus I wore 2.2 kg including hiking shoes).

I began October 14, 2016 in Pamplona,then took a bus to walk part of the Norte San Sebastian - Bilbao and then returned to Logroño and walked to Santiago, leaving for home on November 21. My temperature highs and lows -- according to green pharmacy signs, was 25 Celsius and 0 Celsius.

The first things I will pack for my next camino.
  • Outer gear
  1. Altus Rain Poncho (purchased on 2013 Camino)I'm not sure of the make, I think they currently only make the Atmospheric, mine is the lime green color with a zipper and velcro in front. I have a size Large, and an Extra large would be a bit better for me and my pack. If possible try it on with your loaded pack.
  2. Marmot Precip Jacket. I learned of this jacket from a number of posts and pilgrims on this forum. I love this jacket, especially when paired with the vest below. It is pricy, but you can find sales and close-outs on the web.
  3. Patagonia Down Sweater Vest. I chose this over a fleece and for me, it was awesome. Both this and the Marmot self-store in their own zipper pocket (no separate bag to misplace) and between the two I could adjust my warmth to match the temperature and my exertion. This too can be found on sale and at close outs.
  4. Buff. Another 2013 Camino purchase. Many uses, easy to pack.
  • Clothing
  1. Pants/trousers. I had 1 pair of Columbia and a pair of North Face in medium weights and with zip off legs. Both have built in belts a plus as your weight may change on the camino. The North Face pants have color coded leg zippers -- making it easier to figure out right leg/left leg. I like the belt better on the Columbia and the Columbia has a "device" pocket which is nice for a small guidebook, phone, what ever.
  2. Stoic merino wool base layer. I bought the lightest weight, knowing I could wear more than one if it was cold. These were a forum recommendation from @Melensdad, purchased from Steep and Cheep. These are not always in stock. If there were a fire in the albergue and I could only save one thing, this would be it. (although modesty might suggest I grab something else!)
  3. Long sleeve North Face ventilated shirt (circa 1996, an old favorite). Synthetic and easy to dry, made a nice extra layer on cool mornings.
  4. Socks. I started with Icebreaker liner socks and Smart wool, and the Smart wool were old and worn out so I bought new at the camping store in Santo Domingo.
  • Gear
  1. Camelbak -- I have the 2 liter reservior with the big bite valve and I packed a replace valve as they can pull off.
  2. Backpack cover Kelty. In a light mist, the Precip jacket and a backpack cover where more than enough protection.
  3. REI Microfiber towel. These are always small compared to a hotel bath towel, but work well, dry quickly and store easily. If I took a later afternoon shower, and draped the towel over a rack, it would be dry in the morning.
  4. Silk Sleping bag liner. I used this everynight, most nights only this.
  5. Trangoworld Mummy bag, Model LC 450 rated Comfort +13c Limit +9c Extreme -3c. (I think the current model has different ratings. This bag was a 2013 purchase in Castrojirez, and was too warm most nights, but un zipped and used as a blanket was comfortable.
Things I would take - but with some changes
  1. Kelty Redwing pack 50 L this pack performed flawlessly -- but what would I change? 50 L is too big for the time of year. I had plenty of room and would recommend either the Redwing 44 and if possible, the Redwing 32. I knew this when I bought it and bought the 50L in anticipation of either future hikes needing a tent or cooking gear, and for a full photography kit. I'm an author and journalist and for this Camino, I needed the full size pack -- but with just my personal stuff, it was too big.
Things I wont take again
  1. TEVA sandals. A second set of sandals/shoes seemed like a good idea, these weigh 800 grams and yes I wore the 3 or 4 times, but I'd leave them at home. Maybe I would take lightweight sandals or water shoes.
  2. Toiletries. A matter of preference, but these are simple and easy to buy in Spain.
  3. Shoes Solomon XA Pro 3d Mountain Trail (GoreTex). I wore these in 2013 and was thrilled, and wore the non Gore Tex version for everyday shoes after. I can't fully blame the shoes, but something changed. Once I began walking on coarse gravel, especially between Ventosa and Santo Domingo, I felt as if I was walking bare foot, feeling every stone, I swapped the insoles with gel padded ones in Burgos and then later developed blisters which I attribute to my change in walking movement to accommodate the bruises on the soles of my feet.
I've attached a PDF with the individual weights along with some other items which were minimal in weight but I included as well.

I mentioned that I carried a full camera kit and I can detail that in a separate post, most people wont be carrying a full kit for a working assignment, but I can tell you it is possible and reasonable to do.

Fritz

Thank you for the tips. It helped me on my August 2017 Camino Portugues. Best wishes.

My consideration of such matters prior to a departure on foot pilgrimage is NIL, sorry.

€60,-
The subject of no hip belt on one's pack was brought up on this thread, and I mentioned that I would switch from using the hip belt to not, fairly often. Take the load off the hips, and also to let the air circulate around as the lower back gets quite sweaty due to the hip belt when walking the Camino during the warmer months.
Recently I was looking at new packs and saw this 30L by Deuter. It has a minimal hip belt that is meshed. I know that it's not going to give you the firmness and support a standard, padded one does, but if one is carrying a minimal, lightweight load in the pack on the Camino during warmer months, this could be a happy medium.
Anyone had any experience with these packs and that brand?
686xauto-7487-ACTTrail-7410-15-back.jpg

Well, why'd you come to the thread in the first place then? o_O

Because I am always interested in how other pilgrims do things. :):p

Doesn't prevent me saying that the whole weighing-every-gram thing isn't my thing, but I'd hope that some more wilfully impressionistic approaches to kit weight didn't disturb either ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Feels better to me...and judging from a lot of other men on the Camino--not women--others also do NOT mind putting the weight on shoulders. Back when I was in the army, we only used shoulder straps and they had Quick Disconnects so you un-ass the pack when the shooting started.

BTW --lost 29.8 pounds on the Camino.

Feels better to me...and judging from a lot of other men on the Camino--not women--others also do NOT mind putting the weight on shoulders. Back when I was in the army, we only used shoulder straps and they had Quick Disconnects so you un-ass the pack when the shooting started.

BTW --lost 29.8 pounds on the Camino.
When I did my first Camino in 2013 I used this pack which had no hip belt. All the weight rested on my shoulders. It worked my ass off carrying that thing, and I wouldn't use it again despite losing about 10 kilos of body weight by the time I arrived in Santiago. I only used it because it was all I could scrounge up at the time. Subsequent Caminos I used an actual backpack. I'd never use this type pack again (see attachment) and recommend carrying a pack with a hip belt attached, even if some days you decide not to use it.
227518_2_1.jpg
We had the packs when I was in the military that you could attach to a frame with hip belt if need be, although most of the time we carried just the pack, too.

The subject of no hip belt on one's pack was brought up on this thread, and I mentioned that I would switch from using the hip belt to not, fairly often. Take the load off the hips, and also to let the air circulate around as the lower back gets quite sweaty due to the hip belt when walking the Camino during the warmer months.
Recently I was looking at new packs and saw this 30L by Deuter. It has a minimal hip belt that is meshed. I know that it's not going to give you the firmness and support a standard, padded one does, but if one is carrying a minimal, lightweight load in the pack on the Camino during warmer months, this could be a happy medium.
Anyone had any experience with these packs and that brand?
View attachment 30614

I have a Deuter 45l and feel very comfortable with it. The Brand Deuter is the famous one here around the alps ( Germany, Austria and Switzerland). Go for it, if you like it. Best Quality for more and all time of the year Caminos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.