• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My advice so far

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I am now in Astorga, having started in SJPP on May 5th. Most people in my Albergue started more than a week, or even two weeks after I did. There is tremendous pressure to keep walking long distances every day no matter what. Some are having a great time. But many others are limping, have serious injuries, or have young adult offspring who won't speak to them because of being pressured to cover required planned mileage daily. They are following guidebook stages, maybe feeling competitive, but mostly racing to get to Santiago before their flight out. Once I stopped to talk to a local who told me the history of a building, so I took a picture of it. Two peregrinos passing by saw me, so quickly clicked pictures of their own with no background or even taking the time to LOOK at it before taking a picture. It's crazy.
My advice is to allow plenty of time off for your walk. If you can keep your daily mileage around 20-22 kilometers a day, you will reach your destination before the beds run out and with the time and energy to drop your stuff and explore. If you are hurting, you can take a day or two off. If you can't allot enough vacation time, then don't be afraid to take the bus occasionally or to stop before Santiago.
If your plan is to suffer, go for it, but it isn't my plan. I am seeing folks of all ages and fitness levels with injuries at worst and unable to take an extra day in an interesting town at best.
That's my dos Euros, thanks for listening.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am now in Astorga, having started in SJPP on May 5th. Most people in my Albergue started more than a week, or even two weeks after I did. There is tremendous pressure to keep walking long distances every day no matter what. Some are having a great time. But many others are limping, have serious injuries, or have young adult offspring who won't speak to them because of being pressured to cover required planned mileage daily. They are following guidebook stages, maybe feeling competitive, but mostly racing to get to Santiago before their flight out. Once I stopped to talk to a local who told me the history of a building, so I took a picture of it. Two peregrinos passing by saw me, so quickly clicked pictures of their own with no background or even taking the time to LOOK at it before taking a picture. It's crazy.
My advice is to allow plenty of time off for your walk. If you can keep your daily mileage around 20-22 kilometers a day, you will reach your destination before the beds run out and with the time and energy to drop your stuff and explore. If you are hurting, you can take a day or two off. If you can't allot enough vacation time, then don't be afraid to take the bus occasionally or to stop before Santiago.
If your plan is to suffer, go for it, but it isn't my plan. I am seeing folks of all ages and fitness levels with injuries at worst and unable to take an extra day in an interesting town at best.
Hi Jill , you are so wright.
Last year I walked the Camino Frances in 37 day's and I had a great time. I had a few days over 30km. and day's of about 9km.
I wish a wonderful journey for the rest of your walk and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Jillgat we are taking 50 days total. If we arrive at Santiago early we will walk on to the sea. I see the others rushing and also suffering injury because they feel they must trek onward. We have met so many wonderful people and are loving talking to those both walking and living along the way. Too bad the movies show mainly the sanitized version where you hair is never mussed and no one is ever struggling up the 5th hill for the day when the map showed only two. I think people often misjudged their ability and I am sad when I see them rushing or injured.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Its all about the journey not the destination ,i love to take my time on the Camino and take it all in .

Meeting fellow pilgrims and learning about other lifestyles ,walking in picture postcards eating local food and drinking great wine,

thats the Camino a lot of people miss by racing to the finish ,you know the kind of pilgrim that hasnt time to stop and smell the grapes.

Dont rush it ,its so beautiful it needs to be enjoyed not endured...buen Camino and see you on the trail in September ,ill be the one sitting in the cafe on my second cafe con leche with my feet up.

Hi Jill , you are so wright.
Last year I walked the Camino Frances in 37 day's and I had a great time. I had a few days over 30km. and day's of about 9km.
I wish a wonderful journey for the rest of your walk and a Buen Camino, Peter.
Hi Peter......ditto. Mine (Sept/Oct 2015) also took 37 days - although I was dealing with severe bronchitis, I still had the time to visit a couple of medical clinics, time for extra rest when needed and never a problem with finding a bed. Some days were longer than others. Hope to return Spring 2017.

If your plan is to suffer, go for it, but it isn't my plan.

Nice post Jill! This is exactly how I plan to walk my Camino Sept/Oct. I have allowed 7 weeks - just wondering how long you have allowed?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think your advice is good! I am reading the posts and wondering if I am taking it "too easy" planning my Camino in Cape Town, South Africa, without having ventured beyond our borders! People are so driven!!! I would like to walk into Santiago. I want to enjoy all the sights along the way. I want to meet the people and taste the culture. Even if it takes me 2 weeks to walk 100 km ... so be it!

I am now in Astorga,
I recommend you keep an eye out for Maya showing signs of overload/sickness absence and
catch it early if any problems appear. Otherwise I suggest I write (email?) to confirm all refs received and tell her what to bring on first day.

If you are in agreement, at what time would you like her to come on her first day (just checking as some managers prefer an hour later so they have time to get organised first).

started in SJPP on May 5th. Most people in my Albergue started more than a week, or even two weeks after I did. There is tremendous pressure to keep walking long distances every day no matter what. Some are having a great time. But many others are limping, have serious injuries, or have young adult offspring who won't speak to them because of being pressured to cover required planned mileage daily. They are following guidebook stages, maybe feeling competitive, but mostly racing to get to Santiago before their flight out. Once I stopped to talk to a local who told me the history of a building, so I took a picture of it. Two peregrinos passing by saw me, so quickly clicked pictures of their own with no background or even taking the time to LOOK at it before taking a picture. It's crazy.
Heartening

This is heartwarming indeed....my plan....

I am wondering, considering the number of questions we get about booking beds from people about to begin their camino, if part of the reason that people are rushing may be that many people are booking beds ahead and committing themselves to distances which are too far for them. The desire to have everything under control in this strange context is very strong for many people. But I suspect that much of the learning of the camino comes through not having control, just accepting the gift of each day and the bed (or bivouac) that will be there for each night. This is a continuing lesson for me too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Peter......ditto. Mine (Sept/Oct 2015) also took 37 days - although I was dealing with severe bronchitis, I still had the time to visit a couple of medical clinics, time for extra rest when needed and never a problem with finding a bed. Some days were longer than others. Hope to return Spring 2017.
Sorry about the bronchitis.
When everything is going well, my wife and I will walk from Porto to Santiago some time later this year.
Next year I will walk the Camino del Norte alone. Looking forward to that. The only thing is I'm not sure when. Time will tell.
Wish you well ,Peter. :)

I am wondering, considering the number of questions we get about booking beds from people about to begin their camino, if part of the reason that people are rushing may be that many people are booking beds ahead and committing themselves to distances which are too far for them. The desire to have everything under control in this strange context is very strong for many people. But I suspect that much of the learning of the camino comes through not having control, just accepting the gift of each day and the bed (or bivouac) that will be there for each night. This is a continuing lesson for me too.

We know of some pilgrims who booked a self-guided Camino with tour operators and then didn't bother to check what the itinerary actually entailed and so they found themselves walking 30+kms on some stages and being taxied back and forth to and from one set of accommodation on others. They were able to change some of their Camino but it took quite a bit of effort and incurred a further cost.

I always advise pilgrims who are looking at booking a tour company to review the details fully well beforehand when changes are still possible.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think until you are here it is difficult to predict what will be the right distance for you. We are not booking ahead although know we may need to after Sarria. I have tried to ballpark 15-20 km per day and when we tell others who are doing much more they either look at us as if we a couple of crazies or say "good for you".

I think until you are here it is difficult to predict what will be the right distance for you. We are not booking ahead although know we may need to after Sarria. I have tried to ballpark 15-20 km per day and when we tell others who are doing much more they either look at us as if we a couple of crazies or say "good for you".
@J Willhaus:
You are correct about the difficulty of predicting in advance what will be the right distance to walk each day. The further that you live from the camino the more necessary it is to give yourself enough time, so that you will be able to complete your chosen route before your flight home. But my problem last fall was that I had given myself too much time without thinking about what I would do if I finished very early. It was odd hanging about in Spain waiting for my flight home. I hope I have planned better for my camino this fall, giving myself further to walk in the same time frame and with the possibility of a few days in Madrid before my flight. But the one thing you can guarantee about a camino is it will surprise you.

I think the question of how far/fast you should walk each day is very much like the perennial argument of wearing boots or shoes or sandals. There is no "one size fits all" answer. I am one of those peculiar people who positively enjoys walking long days: in good weather and in moderate terrain I probably average around 35-40km per day. On rare occasions when I am feeling in the mood and conditions are right (or my plans have fallen apart!) I may walk upwards of 50km in a day with no ill effects. I do this for the sheer joy of walking and not out of any sort of competitiveness. What would I have to prove? And to whom? I try not to make my return travel plans in advance precisely because I do not want to be pressured into walking to a timetable. For the same reason I strongly dislike booking my accommodation in advance: I may find I'd like to stop early because of some chance discovery, or decide to carry on for another hour or two. I would not be foolish enough to suggest that my own preferred pattern of walking would suit everyone and I would certainly not suggest such daily stages to anyone who does not already have experience of walking long-distances and so finding their own body's strengths and weaknesses.

My own feeling is that many of the injuries we have all seen in our fellow pilgrims are the result of unrealistic expectations. I always find it surprising that many people commit themselves to walking the entire Camino Frances as their first ever experience of long-distance walking: sometimes people who in daily life have not walked more than a few km at a time and without weight. How can they know their body's limitations? I would always recommend that inexperienced walkers give their footwear and intended pack weight a thorough trial before setting off for Spain. Better to find and address any problems well in advance. The same is true for our bodies.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Jill

This is so true! I have been amazed at the difference between caminos, I started on June 1 2016 and everybody is bombing it down the camino at an incredible pace, this may be because of the rumours of places being full, but everywhere I've been is nowhere close to full and doesn't fill up (except Zubiri). I remember previously everyone it seemed stopped off at every cafe or every 5kms to air themselves out, this year I see people doing 15k or so without stopping, one guy said he wasn't going to stop even once between Albergues. It's a bit strange.

Comparing to the previous years it seems there is something in the air in 2016! I found myself walking faster and longer distances as I wanted to stay "in the pack" of friends and faces I've made and gave myself a head cold forcing a days rest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good advice. I have just come back from doing Pamplona to Burgos. We squeezed it into a day shorter which meant doing 4 days at the start of 27-30km. We really felt that and my wife really struggled the 4th day. In hindsight, 20-25km is what we can comfortably do each day, with the odd extension where really needed. Our basic error was in booking the flights and then working out how long it would take us to get to Burgos; we should have done it the other way around.

We did have a great time and met some wonderful people. We also felt that we didn't consider detours such as the church in Eunate because of the extra distance required. Our next phase will hopefully take more account of that.

Of the people we met, the most problems people had were where they had allocated too little time and were forcing themselves to do really long days to catch up time. Or else they were with people who wanted to push on and they didn't want to be left behind.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When will you be there Lance? I'm walking Sept/Oct.

Hi Kerrie,

I plan to land in Paris on the 3rd August and be in SJPdP by the 5th. No idea where I will be staying but I'm sure I'll find somewhere. Hope to see you on the trail.

Take care and Buen Camino.

For the record, I have had no problem finding beds. Occasionally I book ahead, but then find I didn't need to. I see others say differently, but this is my experience
Am now three days past Sarria and none of my albergues even filled up. Tonight I am at Pereiro Albergue in Melide. It's after 9pm and none of the top bunks in my dorm are occupied.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll be starting at SJP on July 16th. I've only got 2 weeks (work commitments) but i don't plan to rush. My goal is Logrono and to take everything in on the way then return next summer to carry on. I only got the idea 4 weeks ago and on impulse booked cheap flights and a bed in SJP. I've 'Forrest Gumped' my way around the world over the years and found that too much planning gets in the way. This forum has been very helpful and i can't wait.

My husband and I are starting in St Jean around the middle of September and are only going to Burgos. We booked a place in St Jean and Orrison because last time I only booked Orrison and barely found a place in St Jean by 9pm due to our late arrival.

After Orrison we are going to walk until we feel like stopping at the end of each day. We have allotted enough time to not feel pressured to any particular distance in a day that doesn't feel comfortable. We have different walking styles so the challenge will be trying to convince my husband that it isn't a race and not worry if we are among the last leaving the albergue in the morning. I have a fast pace but prefer to step aside and let people ahead of me rather than walk with the views of people's backsides or feel rushed because someone is right behind me.

When I walked with my daughter a few years back we started getting the race mentality when we saw a lot of people ahead of us going up the Alto del Perdon and we were worried that all the beds would be full in the next town where we were planning on stopping. Imagine our surprise when we reached the top only to see all the pilgrims ahead of us climb into an air-conditioned bus and drive away.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you. Re-thinking I get in about 9am to Madrid maybe take transportation to St Jean and over night then walk. Do you know which mode of transport from Madrid is best?

Love this post, I have 35 day to do the Del Norte and have decided to let the Camino bring what it will, if I have to take a bus so be it, i was stressing do much that 35 days were not enough, my husband turned to me and said, you will be in /Spain for 35 days with nothing to worry about and knowone to take care of but yourself..in Spain!!! Just relax and take a bus if you have to to enjoy yourself, you do not have to prove anything to anyone this is your journey-your life, it is not a race!
I am keeping that attitude as much as I can while I train and prepare.
Thank you for your post!
Buen Camino!!

Thank you. Re-thinking I get in about 9am to Madrid maybe take transportation to St Jean and over night then walk. Do you know which mode of transport from Madrid is best?

I arrive to Madrid as well, there is a bus or a train. But it truley depends on the timing. There are only 2 trains the day I arrive and it looks as though I will need to take the bus due to when my plane arrives. search bus and train on this forum there are links to the websites, I am sorry i do not remeber the names right now. IT is 5 hours by train and 6 or so by bus. Cost about the same

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't think of any advantages of going on the Camino with a tour group. It seems like it would really limit your options and spontaneity. The beauty of the Camino is that it's pretty easy to do without guidance.

Hi Kerrie,

I plan to land in Paris on the 3rd August and be in SJPdP by the 5th. No idea where I will be staying but I'm sure I'll find somewhere. Hope to see you on the trail.

Take care and Buen Camino.
I am also planning to be in SJPdP on the 5th but coming from Madrid.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everyone is different but I like 6 weeks of actual walking for the CF (@KerrieG don't forget to factor in the travel to and from the Camino) which gives me extra days in all the major cities, and keeps the daily distance to under 25km. For the Norte I'd allow an extra week.

Anyone who has an extra day or two at the end, apart from the obvious of having a few days in SDC and walking or busing to Muxia, Finisterre, I can also recommend Ourense for a few days lying in the thermal spa! Easy to get to from Santiago and a treat for sore bodies.

Everyone keeps saying this is great advice or is it just another opinion? Who cares if people are "rushing" through it. It's their Camino and not yours. I'm still on the Le Puy route with SJPP coming up tomorrow and I've walked from 15km-38km a day. I even skateboarded the second half of the Le Puy route. A German lady told me I'm not enjoying the scenery and I responded with, "I'm not skating with with my eyes closed." Just do what you want. Everyone is so eager to tell you their two cents but in the end you just need to walk. The Camino always provides. Just get your booty out there and walk!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back