• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My albergue

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
When I was walking I was compiling a list of how my own albergue would look like.
  • In a minor village with at least one bar/restaurant and grocery store and an open church.
  • Somewhere in the middle of the route.
  • In an old stone house.
  • 10-16 beds some extra spaces for mattresses on the floor if needed. Preferable 4-6 beds per room.
  • A welcoming entrance with places to sit down/leave the bag while you are checked in. Offering something cold to drink when they arrive ice tea, lemonade, water...
  • A beautiful stamp.
  • A garden with fruits, shade and sun beds, bins and salt for foot bath.
  • Area for washing and hanging clothes both in the sun and under a roof.
  • A kitchen but also offering community meals (with options for vegan/gluten free/lactose free).
  • A big living room with sofas and tables and a fireplace. A bookshelf with books about the camino and other related things in multiple languages.
  • Electrical outlets by the beds but just a few in the living room, encouraging people to rather talk than sitting with their noses in their phones.
  • Lockers for the bags not in the sleeping room, then people have to get out of the dorm to pack their things.
  • Shoe driers.
  • Soap so you can wash your hands after being to the toilet.
  • Good showers.
  • Hangers on the bedside for clothes.
  • I would love to say that I want to offering wifi but I'm also so tired of others sitting with their noses in their phones. I want pilgrims to talk to each other. Maybe a a SSID/password with a name the indicates that :)
  • I'll ask people as they arrive what time they will get up and try to put people with the same morning schedule together if possible. But if will of course not be possible all the time.
  • Closing at 21, quiet at 22.

How would your albergue look like? Any comments on mine?

Now I just have to find the money, the place and convince the whole family that we should move to Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I was walking I was compiling a list of how my own albergue would look like.
  • In a minor village with at least one bar/restaurant and grocery store and an open church.
  • In an old stone house.
  • 10-16 beds some extra spaces for mattresses on the floor if needed. Preferable 4-6 beds per room.
  • A welcoming entrance with places to sit down/leave the bag while you are checked in. Offering something cold to drink when they arrive ice tea, lemonade, water...
  • A beautiful stamp.
  • A kitchen but also offering community meals (with options for vegan/gluten free/lactose free).
  • A big living room with sofas and tables and a fireplace. A bookshelf with books about the camino and other related things in multiple languages.
  • Electrical outlets by the beds but just a few in the living room, encouraging people to rather talk than sitting with their noses in their phones.
  • Lockers for the bags not in the sleeping room, then people have to get out of the dorm to pack their things.
  • Shoe driers.
  • Good showers.
  • I would love to say that I want to offering wifi but I'm also so tired of others sitting with their noses in their phones. I want pilgrims to talk to each other. Maybe a a SSID/password with a name the indicates that :)
  • I'll ask people as they arrive what time they will get up and try to put people with the same morning schedule together if possible. But if will of course not be possible all the time.

Now I just have to find the money, the place and convince the whole family that we should move to Spain.
You have just made the perfect alberque.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The best hospitalera/o's are those who have patience, it allows something special to come together, and makes for the most memorable places to stay, Alejandro formerly of Bodeneya is an example.
I don't think it matters on location or facilities. If you want a really special albergue, thats the first foundation you/we should aim for.

The best hospitalera/o's are those who have patience, it allows something special to come together, and makes for the most memorable places to stay, Alejandro formerly of Bodeneya is an example.
I don't think it matters on location or facilities. If you want a really special albergue, thats the first foundation you should aim for.
I agree with you on that as well but personality is harder to write about and how you are received by others you will never know before you are there. And starting an albergue with just personality will be hard, I may be able to keep a lot of people in my heart (some of them are lovely hostpitaliera/os) they might not be able to sleep in there :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Åh! @jozero and @alexwalker PERFECT!

But at the same time some might need to make reservations, book a flight and stuff like that. So a computer in a corner with access or access at the bar maybe. My self use wifi to upload photos and would miss that. But I do really miss to talk to people as I walk by my self 99,99 % of the time I some days only talked when ordering something in the bar/restaurant and when checked in at the albergue. I miss the conversations about the day.

Åh! @jozero and @alexwalker PERFECT!

But at the same time some might need to make reservations, book a flight and stuff like that. So a computer in a corner with access or access at the bar maybe. My self use wifi to upload photos and would miss that. But I do really miss to talk to people as I walk by my self 99,99 % of the time I some days only talked when ordering something in the bar/restaurant and when checked in at the albergue. I miss the conversations about the day.
Completely agree. It is very disappointing when everybody is looking at their screens in total disconnect with their surroundings. But an online computer with a printer/scanner/Copy in a corner would be perfect.

Make sure to set-up that computer correctly, if not it will fill up with nasties (virus, worm, trojan) in no time ;-) SY

Make sure to set-up that computer correctly, if not it will fill up with nasties (virus, worm, trojan) in no time ;-) SY
Well my partner is software engineer and I'm a systems analyst and we have both been working as computer/system administrators so that would be the smallest problem for us :)

You know what I would have loved - particularly in a small village - an Albergue that offered stories of the real people that live there...stories that you'd never find in a book or guide. Can you imagine lodging outside Astorga when a elderly Margato walks in - sits down and tells you stories his grandfather told him about life in Spain and on the Camino 150yrs ago - or what it was like during the revolution - or how he made a living as a muleteer?

You know what I would have loved - particularly in a small village - an Albergue that offered stories of the real people that live there...stories that you'd never find in a book or guide.
The Albergue Ultreia in Castrojeriz has a dining room with a large wine press in it. At the communial dinner a lecture is given about it then the guests are invited to visit a tunnel under the house and street now used as a wine cellar but likely originally built for safety.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You know what I would have loved - particularly in a small village - an Albergue that offered stories of the real people that live there...stories that you'd never find in a book or guide. Can you imagine lodging outside Astorga when a elderly Margato walks in - sits down and tells you stories his grandfather told him about life in Spain and on the Camino 150yrs ago - or what it was like during the revolution - or how he made a living as a muleteer?

Sounds lovely. So a small village with history and friendly locals with good stories.

The Albergue Ultreia in Castrojeriz has a dining room with a large wine press in it. At the communial dinner a lecture is given about it then the guests are invited to visit a tunnel under the house and street now used as a wine cellar but likely originally built for safety.
As I don't drink alcohol my self I might be a wine free albergue but a house with a story is welcomed.

Maybe only have Wifi available for a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon and 1 hour in the evening.

An electrical outlet inside each locker.

A map on the wall showing local walks.
Outlets in locker might be a fire security issue but a shelf for the devices in there might be enough.

Maps, lots of them. So a village with local walks and possible detours. That sounds like the right place for me. Love maps and love walks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds the perfect welcoming place for a weary traveller.

Lockers outside the sleeping area are a great idea as is grouping pilgrims by proposed departure times - early leavers closest to the exit.

image.jpeg

We may need to look at crowdfunding your model!

Last edited:
Sounds the perfect welcoming place for a weary traveller.

Lockers outside the sleeping area are a great idea as is grouping pilgrims by proposed departure times - early leavers closest to the exit.

View attachment 28564

We may need look at crowdfunding your model!
That would be something a crowdfunded albergue. Free stay for contributors.

A gripe I had was the automatic turning on of lights when someone went to use the toilet. There might be regulations on this but I would prefer having low power LED red lights on all night. There should be enough light for people to find the lightswitch to the overhead white lights if they find the need. By then the door would be shut and sleepers will not be awakened by the light rushing out the door to attack. Also, with use of only the low level red light the nighttime traveler will have a better chance to get back to sleep.

How in the world did I miss that one? We stayed there too.
I did get a treat in Castrojeriz. One of the locals saw me walking down the street looking for an ATM. He started to give me directions and then just said "follow me"...but on the way to the ATM he pulled me aside into a bar, bought me a glass of wine (2) and he, his friends and I talked for hours. Best ATM trip ever!

The best albergue that I stayed in on the Frances was at Zabaldika, with a wonderful combination of facilities and people. And its own church, where anyone who wanted went in the evening to pray and share. A reasonable match was Emaus in Burgos. But I also loved Granon and Tosantos - crowded and very basic, but the spirit of the ancient camino was there and I met some really special pilgrims.

A gripe I had was the automatic turning on of lights when someone went to use the toilet. There might be regulations on this but I would prefer having low power LED red lights on all night. There should be enough light for people to find the lightswitch to the overhead white lights if they find the need. By then the door would be shut and sleepers will not be awakened by the light rushing out the door to attack. Also, with use of only the low level red light the nighttime traveler will have a better chance to get back to sleep.
Red night lights yes please.

A centrifugora to help dry clothes faster.

Lots of room in the shower to hand and put your stuff down.

A foot bassin, with jets, to go with that salt, like the albergue in Fistera.

A breathaliser test to keep drunk pilgrims out at night. o_O

Mini lockers of some sort for the refrigerator so morning thieves can't walk out with the food you had prepared for the next day.

Hammacks.

Easy access top bunks with partial railing.

Individual lights and charger in each bunk.

Locks for the lockers: magnetic card lock would be fine.

Easily washable blankets and towels. Towels. Did I say towels?

A house dog.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh yes a house dog!!! And a little bench just outside the shower curtain plus a peg or two to hang a few items in the shower stall. I loved the kitchens at Rosalia in Castrojerez and Albergue Gaia in Mansilla de las Mulas. Plentyful items to use and share, everyone helped to restock (or at least the groups I ate with did!!) Chairs or benches outside the albergue entrances so if you are done walking for the day you can still sit outside and chat with other pilgrims or the locals walking by. Now I'm off to design my perfect albergue!!

A centrifugora to help dry clothes faster.

Lots of room in the shower to hand and put your stuff down.

A foot bassin, with jets, to go with that salt, like the albergue in Fistera.

A breathaliser test to keep drunk pilgrims out at night. o_O

Mini lockers of some sort for the refrigerator so morning thieves can't walk out with the food you had prepared for the next day.

Hammacks.

Easy access top bunks with partial railing.

Individual lights and charger in each bunk.

Locks for the lockers: magnetic card lock would be fine.

Easily washable blankets and towels. Towels. Did I say towels?

A house dog.
Like it! There were a lot of centrifuges in the beginning of Camino del Norte. They were great but I left them out from my list as I would have one more thing to maintain and I think drains, pipes, oven, stove, showers, toilets etc... would be enough for me to handle :) If we shall have a lot of fancy things that can break I would put a mini fridge in each locker. But I might be able to have handy man as volunteers?

Oh yes a house dog!!! And a little bench just outside the shower curtain plus a peg or two to hang a few items in the shower stall. I loved the kitchens at Rosalia in Castrojerez and Albergue Gaia in Mansilla de las Mulas. Plentyful items to use and share, everyone helped to restock (or at least the groups I ate with did!!) Chairs or benches outside the albergue entrances so if you are done walking for the day you can still sit outside and chat with other pilgrims or the locals walking by. Now I'm off to design my perfect albergue!!
Good ideas let us add that to the list as well. I'm not so sure about a dog thou, most because my son is allergic to dogs and I'm a cat person but you have one in your albergue :)

But I also loved Granon and Tosantos ...
I loved staying in Granon at Ernesto's Casa de las Sonrisas rather than the church. It reminded me of my hippy dippy college days in Boulder CO in the early '70s, even down to the soundtrack so I felt right at home.

Many hypoallergenic breeds: Wheatem Terriers, Portugese Water Dogs for example.

I loved staying in Granon at Ernesto's Casa de las Sonrisas rather than the church. It reminded me of my hippy dippy college days in Boulder CO in the early '70s, even down to the soundtrack so I felt right at home.
@GreatDane
The night that I stayed at San Juan Bautista at Granon, two pilgrims decided that the place was getting crowded and headed for the Casa de las Sonrisas. They were back shortly thereafter, saying that the place was infested with bed bugs and the management seemed quite indifferent.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@GreatDane
The night that I stayed at San Juan Bautista at Granon, two pilgrims decided that the place was getting crowded and headed for the Casa de las Sonrisas. They were back shortly thereafter, saying that the place was infested with bed bugs and the management seemed quite indifferent.
I stayed there late Sept 2014. No bedbugs and Ernesto was a gracious host to the large number of us (18 maybe??) that stayed there. He even offered to do our wash for free if we didn't mind it being mixed in with sheets and towels. Things may have changed since then because people are taking terrible advantage of donativo. Giving nothing. I gave what I would have spent at a private. Oh and the dinner was great and filling!

Yes I know but that doesn't help with me being a cat person. A dog will never be a cat ;-) We have hypoallergenic cats, Siberian so my son can live with them.

I would stay at the one across from you with the wine...but if you have cats that I can play with then that would win me over to your place :)

@GreatDane

I know Ernesto since many years, even before he opened his own refuge and I never found him indifferent to the need of any pilgrim. Buen Camino, SY

I would stay at the one across from you with the wine...but if you have cats that I can play with then that would win me over to your place :)
These guys would love to cuddle and play:
nHnqfCt0j4RouHhl98TX18CZPFi3QJc5Q_50R_iqsnG7N9LXxE0Kv9dLkrzbQAdM-H_w7kIlvAjbVHgrx5YsYSnI-A_bNP3ozx9sEOPC_p4Xz__xYhVJFHvZP8n5JvsEMLhqKCTh7MZvBWbboCDur-vpNLcSd3Rh0KPS_3yUSylmz5fD7QGAq85URs6mRPAlxbS0u4KtdmgbcLlbkQfXMdJbcUAYakyghN1Pfia78QfLLpfkZ_Q6N9dYRKKk0gV7NkuT95yaetpkkNKF7mKlysFMz8Q2X5Itvmvv-i5D2I6dVcuTqIJAV0H6iO68w2xGhWu6ItIeCCT9OXDACTsPLd_aCx29pplKk94NuuSTAl3wshMotcJAbim9hyFY-9vuqPhnc4unoGwPGhFFedrOMIcZB1eUM21wxOxhGlnMlDwm_5qnoETRjep_9fk7T4zKTKEI_DN__Aresryh86OZL5tWqPeqLcAe6GNXpaEeucFYrkBUrtBV0NLD1mFXmOd4Gcb6XVqIAfRiBln7Hbi_uN9C1-Vtw6RAOqG4c5nynNQ7KcHjAPH2LE2hmj41NWYIEpJcGGJdTVSLaLQvp7U4wq2SfH4=w1756-h2632-no

Tqwvg38KINA_g-lqAJn_E2NHw8PyfBezlSDuFDNDoE4gOxthS-zyTqav3w9zv-Y4rdgVu7EVoC308VWFnQ3BIEGM1TX3H9ZHa2cI6nHxf7594E7e-nNEQV-tyDbyQWQ1GnL9qSl9bHEm7B0El2-t4P-1LzhC4T8x1Sp_46dx-pceZ8tklFzYhrKNVdfApGQmSINPQx21GB8xdwly_IZL0v2gItCTEy2LE1S9rmCLQPe-uamLdgaXNw9NKYUjE9BG7d1Laf2vqAdIzWRFU7ckp9OYumz3GucdRxcKLvOaElqhV9zSQDoqEZYztAR9t1lyEma2HpwbGHuMSNcQLQ9YrDMm0OErlyf7QIoSXM_578ggZLanFhPnELRzVY2gaPUQ6Hl5abMRvmeFMmExDBaB5zbdyvnX0fmSgsqGhxc8fblc-fHj1G4yApamNzj0tNcNosISKRamKiw1FVXZEI2uXG-w4Wu2wvASvyLsMPrubmm6FFWok43Ye7Ayt5wYyXJgYYM2cdZdS4eQReiyzrIsOONfZOKIxTQo3atn-apo7ZH3z0UHLr77Es3wCcB7SnqQFFfiK3i931lusRM6TEHPZ401htQ=w1756-h2632-no

If you give the red one cheese doodles he will even sleep in your bed and probably try to go with you in your backpack.

I know Ernesto since many years, even before he opened his own refuge and I never found him indifferent to the need of any pilgrim. Buen Camino, SY
@SYates
This just goes to show that I should not pay attention to hearsay. But I am so afraid of bedbugs myself that I have tried to avoid them by noting any mention of an infestation and avoiding the location if the management or hospitaleros were said not to be dealing with it. This worked for me, but I may have missed some great places.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A wake up call like that experienced in Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan.
:)

Cats need to be around 1.5 to 2 feet long
Have level adjustable purrs for massage
Variable meow sequences with different cat languages.

Make bisquits on demand as well as boop your befurred chin

Yeah.,that would be the Purrfect Alburgue cat.

Solar powered hot water for showers
Well water if possible..for that soft hair
A small dipensary for aches and blisters.
More cats
A tree to sit under at dusk with chairs under it.
A stone wall to catch the westering suns golden light and put a dusky haze upon weary pilgim in repose.

A linebof treess set a little distance from the main house on the east and west sides...they block the heat of the direct sunlight and help lower cooling costs.

And a house full of love, life and light

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Yes, this is kind of what I was going to say. An hospitalero/a who knows the village well, or brings in someone who does to share the local color and flavor with those of us passing through. Like the guy at the Ultreïa albergue in Castrojerez who has an ancient wine press in his kitchen and gives a tour after dinner down into the wine cellar that was originally a Roman tunnel. Great story teller and, for those who don't speak Spanish, he found a peregrina who could translate what he said into English. He also had an outdoor stone foot bath. Everybody sat around the rim with their feet in the water. Great thing.

• In an old stone house.
  • A beautiful stamp.
  • Shoe driers.
  • Good showers.

If you take reservations, sign me up.

All these suggestions could be part of a comprehensive check-list for an albergue development chain. The only detail which has not been mentioned relates to the price range for an average pilgrim/night.:rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All these suggestions could be part of a comprehensive check-list for an albergue development chain. The only detail which has not been mentioned relates to the price range for an average pilgrim/night.:rolleyes:
It's the Camino, so dinativo all the way. As I understand it donativo means free :eek:.

Donativo definitely does not mean free. It means you give whatever you are able. I was a hospitalero at Albergue San Miguel in Estella last year, a parochial albergue which is donativo, and by casual observation the majority of pilgrims gave a donation. Very few took advantage of the donativo system.
Two annoying items I would add to the list are showers so small that if you move around your elbow connects with the tap/faucet resulting in the water suddenly changing to freezing cold or scalding hot: also automatic lights in toilets that turned off after 30 seconds, with the light switch outside the toilet.
As a pilgrim I have stayed at many albergues, and some that I disliked others have loved so it is often a personal opinion. But overall I would say that the welcome from the hospitaleros is the most important attribute to any albergue.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Casa Ibarrola in Pamplona (a new albergue right on the camino after the entrance into the old city) had three things that I liked:

1) Cubbyholes for the bunks with a locker, light and curtains for each. Perhaps better for bedbug control.
cubbies.jpg

2) A private room with just an upper and lower bunk that was located closest to the albergue entrance.

3) An open bathroom with toilet, sink and shower designed for wheelchair bound pilgrims. This was located between the regular bathroom and the private room with wide lockable doors to each. This meant that wheelchairs would not be blocking access to the regular facilities nor bunks as they could be in their private room.

The old stone house that you want may not even allow wheelchair access at the entrance but if it did something like this setup would be nice. When not used for wheelchairs it is good for a private room and the attached bath could be configured to be a private bath or part of the regular baths.

Oh, yes, Casa Albergue Molino de Marzán supplied both a dog and a pair of cats.

They can always go to the bar or buy their wine in the store. I will not just serve wine with the food.

I was taught that the hospitality industry was about looking after the customers/patrons ?????
Hospitality means , according to Macquarie , treating quests and /or strangers with generosity and kindness.
[My mother had 8 children , never drank but my dad always got his cold beer when he arrived home from work]

Beatrice knowing Alex he would only set up an albergue where there was no store or bar and would welcome all with a cold drink , beer if requested , followed by "Grange" in a box at dinner.
It would be a hard act to beat.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm pretty keen on a roof, a hot shower and a clean bed. Everything else is a bonus.

Still enjoying The Paradors and Posada's J
Keep warm up there ,
D

Casa Ibarrola in Pamplona (a new albergue right on the camino after the entrance into the old city) had three things that I liked:

1) Cubbyholes for the bunks with a locker, light and curtains for each. Perhaps better for bedbug control.
View attachment 28581

2) A private room with just an upper and lower bunk that was located closest to the albergue entrance.

3) An open bathroom with toilet, sink and shower designed for wheelchair bound pilgrims. This was located between the regular bathroom and the private room with wide lockable doors to each. This meant that wheelchairs would not be blocking access to the regular facilities nor bunks as they could be in their private room.

The old stone house that you want may not even allow wheelchair access at the entrance but if it did something like this setup would be nice. When not used for wheelchairs it is good for a private room and the attached bath could be configured to be a private bath or part of the regular baths.

Oh, yes, Casa Albergue Molino de Marzán supplied both a dog and a pair of cats.
Wheel chair access can always be fixed so we add wheel chair friendly to the list. They who do it that way are real heroes and deserve nice treatment in the albergues.

As I don't drink alcohol my self I might be a wine free albergue but a house with a story is welcomed.

Better keep away from the French side Beatrice , especially from Le Puy as its red wine when you finish and albergues are not that common.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was taught that the hospitality industry was about looking after the customers/patrons ?????
Hospitality means , according to Macquarie , treating quests and /or strangers with generosity and kindness.
[My mother had 8 children , never drank but my dad always got his cold beer when he arrived home from work]

Knowing Alex Beatrice he would only set up an albergue where there was no store or bar and would welcome all with a cold drink , beer if requested , followed by "Grange" in a box at dinner.
It would be a hard act to beat.
The bar is a place to meet locals and the grocery store is because I have a lot of allergies my self and know how hard it is to participate in communial meals as they tend to contain something I can't eat and than I like to do my own food. And as a hoapitaliera it would be lovely to be able to shop locally. Not being so dependent of environmetal unfriendly car travels. Otherwise I would have placed my dream place in the middle of nowhere with great views.

My my, chill. There was supposed to be a smiley face at the end of my post about donativo meaning free but somehow all that shows up is the spacw for it, not the smiley. Of couse donativo does not mean free. I always give what I would have paid elsewhere, and if the care received goes beyond, then so does the donativo.

Actually, Wheel chair access appears to be mandatory for new albergues these days. Bonus is great big bathrooms for all of us, with clothese not getting wet.

This being said, albergue in Fisterra only opens its wheelchair access bathroom when a client actually nneds such facilities: otherwise it gets used for other purposes by couples ... who keep the water runnuing too long, flooding the place!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wheel chair access is only mandatory for commercial albergues (plus a whole lot of other building regulations!) Donativos normally are exempt from this, but it depends also on the local legislation. Obviously wheel chair accessibility is desirable in any albergue but the whole batch of building regulations and the like for commercial (aka albergues with a fixed price) albergues can cause a lot of headache to people thinking of opening one. Buen Albergue, SY

Wheel chair access is only mandatory for commercial albergues (plus a whole lot of other building regulations!) Donativos normally are exempt from this, but it depends also on the local legislation. Obviously wheel chair accessibility is desirable in any albergue but the whole batch of building regulations and the like for commercial (aka albergues with a fixed price) albergues can cause a lot of headache to people thinking of opening one. Buen Albergue, SY

Asbestos in old buildings,
New energy ratings
New Health and Safety regulations
$$$$ to the bureaucrats ....lol
Better to rent than own an albergue SY
Remember the old saying;
If it flies or floats rent it [ Planes or Boats for those not sure]

• In an old stone house.
  • A beautiful stamp.
  • Shoe driers.
  • Good showers.

Thank you, I haven't stayed there yet but some day. I didn't see showers with soap dishes. Ukuleles and guitars in the living room. Maybe Wifi outside. Great list.... Ultreya........ Willy/Utah/USA

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
  • In an old stone house.
  • A beautiful stamp.
  • Shoe driers.
  • Good showers.

Most of the things on your list are also on mine Beatrice :) but they equal a lot of money to achieve...so if either of us is lucky enough to receive a windfall...let's do it! Buen camino

• In an old stone house.
  • A beautiful stamp.
  • Shoe driers.
  • Good showers.

Hi Beatrice,
Love your albergue wish list!
My favorite sign on the wall of a Galician albergue's bar on the Frances:
No WiFi. Talk Amongst Yourselves.

Best,
Annette

• In an old stone house.
  • A beautiful stamp.
  • Shoe driers.
  • Good showers.

Beatrice
I had the same feelings after walking the caminio.
Bought the house and grounds - that was the easy bit,
Got the planning permission - a bit more complicated !!
Now on the slow process of renovating - thats the hard bit.
Blood sweat and tears !!! believe me its not easy, but dont be put off.

Who knows one day this place may be finished :)
No closed doors anyone can stop by and help !!!

The village has one bar, the people are open but unfortuneatly the church is kept closed :(
as is the case in many small villages and its directly on the Camino
(you can reach out of the bedroom window and shake the hands of passing pilgrims)
Its not easy and there are rules and regulations to consider but as they say here "piano piano"

For friends and family I update the small website with progress pictures
a few new pics are due after this weeks efforts.
www.freebird-castaneda.com

I wish you the best of luck in realising your dream -

Think of this as an Albergue owner

Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier
Be the living expression of Gods kindness
Kindness in your face
Kindness in your eyes
Kindness in your smile
(Mother Teresa)

I have this tattoed on my chest since my last Camino and try every day to make sure Pilgrims leave Casteneda
with smile !!!

Shaun

Beatrice
I had the same feelings after walking the caminio.
Bought the house and grounds - that was the easy bit,
Got the planning permission - a bit more complicated !!
Now on the slow process of renovating - thats the hard bit.
Blood sweat and tears !!! believe me its not easy, but dont be put off.

Who knows one day this place may be finished :)
No closed doors anyone can stop by and help !!!

The village has one bar, the people are open but unfortuneatly the church is kept closed :(
as is the case in many small villages and its directly on the Camino
(you can reach out of the bedroom window and shake the hands of passing pilgrims)
Its not easy and there are rules and regulations to consider but as they say here "piano piano"

For friends and family I update the small website with progress pictures
a few new pics are due after this weeks efforts.
www.freebird-castaneda.com

I wish you the best of luck in realising your dream -

Think of this as an Albergue owner

Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier
Be the living expression of Gods kindness
Kindness in your face
Kindness in your eyes
Kindness in your smile
(Mother Teresa)

I have this tattoed on my chest since my last Camino and try every day to make sure Pilgrims leave Casteneda
with smile !!!

Shaun
Oh you are doing it! For me it will just be a dream, something to think about when walking thou. But if I do the Francés again or any other route coming out before your place I'l stop and say hi.

I am pretty sure that link will only work for you and if you are logged into your Gmail account ;-) Buen Camino, SY
o_O:confused:
Thank you for info. I think it would be best to simply delete the post then because I have no idea whatsoever of a different way to post it :D

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.