• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Blog - Nothing to brag about with my family!

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Like so many Forum members I cancelled a May Camino walk in 2020...in fact exactly one year ago today my Brazilian pilgrim friend and I knew our Camino Primitivo walk was not to be. It was to be my 7th Camino route and 3rd time into Santiago de Compostela.

Current plans (vaccine, travel restrictions, etc allowing) are to walk in 2022.

Shortly thereafter I read an article about a Frenchman who ran a marathon on his 23 foot balcony so a brilliant plan formed.

i would walk a 310 km Alternative Camino Primitivo on a 29 foot wooden deck (yes do the math > 30,000 back and forth trips). So that’s what I did walking 310 kms over 12 days. I made one concession and that was no backpack (that would look ridiculous!).

A few pictures below of a rainy day...and two special pilgrims who joined me regularly (granddaughters Rose 5 and Elodie 2).

As I was walking the first day I thought why not include this Alternative Camino on my blog (105 actual walking days) so that’s what I did making up stuff. Great fun for me, a family event with the odd (many) funny looks from people walking by the yard!

Once I completed the Camino it struck me how easily an online blog could simply disappear...remember Family memories on VHS tapes!

So I started wondering if there was a way to actually publish a blog....sure enough that was not an original idea.

Luckily I stumbled upon www.pixxibook.com whom I highly recommend! Without going into much detail I spent many hours editing my blog (typos, attaching captions to pictures etc) and the software produced magic!

Three beautiful volumes over 700 pages were ordered (subsequently ordered smaller books for three pilgrim friends). A few weeks later they arrived...I fooled myself into thinking I was a published author!!! Clearly that isn’t so but why not pretend.

I then spent many delightful hours reading my three volumes...incredible memories most great...some not as much however that’s all part of long distance walking.

Now I was feeling pretty good about myself (after all I had walked approximately 3,000 kms + 310 kms on my Alternative Camino Primitivo)

So I let my family know about my beautiful books (see below)...and the fun started!

My son in law very quickly said he would like to read them...he was being nice...he hasn’t.

Then my middle daughter’s fiancée said she would like to read them. Same as my son in law...future daughter in law was just being nice...she hasn’t read them.

Oldest, youngest daughters didn’t even pretend to be interested... neither was Dawn my wife.

My middle daughter (middle child!!!) then said she would read them once Elodie has read them. Elodie is 2 years old!!!

Finally a few days later Dawn asked me if she could borrow the books. I thought WOW until I realized she wanted them to raise the laptop for a book club meeting!

So here I am with my beautiful books and memories... I expect to haul out them out often to reread and delight in the stories. When my time comes the family will just have to fight it out as to who get’s the books!

I hope Elodie wins the battle!

Never take oneself too seriously...

Buen Camino

Guy

Attachments

• FC907BD6-86EB-463E-BD4A-D108EB09D85D.jpeg
    FC907BD6-86EB-463E-BD4A-D108EB09D85D.jpeg
    845.1 KB · Views: 28
  • BEADC8D6-3EC5-42E7-BE21-3C1A511C31AE.jpeg
    BEADC8D6-3EC5-42E7-BE21-3C1A511C31AE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • B5823B88-ED75-4B22-A822-3A010E6F5F44.jpeg
    B5823B88-ED75-4B22-A822-3A010E6F5F44.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 93D2AA8D-DC50-4494-835C-D2B5A044827A.jpeg
    93D2AA8D-DC50-4494-835C-D2B5A044827A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back