• Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • All Wise Pilgrim Guides now come with a free Finisterre/Muxia Guide.
    Order online or pick one up at Casa Ivar in Santiago if that is easier.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

My Brother Dr Angello Lobo

Today 5 years ago my brother Dr Angello Lobo started his Camino. He had walked 700 Kms to Triacastella but did not return home to tell us his stories . Today I spent time at the place he went surfing in Spain to remember him. I miss him. Thank you to all those who sent me kind messages of their meetings with him on his journey.

Advertisment

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. 2019? Who knows! ;-)
Thank you Michelle for your kind words. You know a few months before my brother died my son died to. So it hurts to not have my precious Son Daniel and my very lovely Brother Agnello.
I still cannot come to terms with my loss. If only I could find a way.
Very, very harsh. My thoughts are with you. Really.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
joanjf, if you are looking, the way is looking for you. My youngest brother died too soon, too quickly. I know a little about your loss, because of that. Let me offer you something tangential:
It was posted recently on another thread. There is something other worldly about the voice of the singer and it captivates me. I heard it again on Friday in an unexpected situation. It was meant for me, to keep me putting one foot in front of the other! Keep sharing, you will find people here to listen.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I remember your posts on that first thread, Joan, and have from time to time wished you well. You were dealt such a difficult hand - each loss alone would be hard. May you have healing and ease of heart - and light at the end of the tunnel!
And another coincidence....in this video that @kirkie posted there is a lot of footage from the scattering of Iz's ashes at sea, after his death in his mid thirties. The man was an angel - as was your brother (and my sister, who also died too young). We all lose those who are dear, and sometimes the most beloved ones pass early, who knows why? It's not for us to understand but we are blessed to have had them in our lives.

Last edited:

Baggiegaz

Coming back,sept 9
Camino(s) past & future
June2017 sept 2018
Today 5 years ago my brother Dr Angello Lobo started his Camino. He had walked 700 Kms to Triacastella but did not return home to tell us his stories . Today I spent time at the place he went surfing in Spain to remember him. I miss him. Thank you to all those who sent me kind messages of their meetings with him on his journey.

Camino(s) past & future
Spring 2017
I’m so very sorry to hear of your losses. I, too, lost my 24 yr old son (in an auto accident). He was so full of fun and happiness. I look for him in other people. I notice when someone finds joy in some frustrating situation or when someone does an unexpected kindness. I feel sad that the world lost him. But I try to live fully and sometimes do what he would do to make life better for others, even if it’s just a smile to a stranger or a compliment to a shy child. Best wishes as you work through your grief!

Camino(s) past & future
I’m so very sorry to hear of your losses. I, too, lost my 24 yr old son (in an auto accident). He was so full of fun and happiness. I look for him in other people. I notice when someone finds joy in some frustrating situation or when someone does an unexpected kindness. I feel sad that the world lost him. But I try to live fully and sometimes do what he would do to make life better for others, even if it’s just a smile to a stranger or a compliment to a shy child. Best wishes as you work through your grief!
Judy, I wish you peace. How you can find it, I do not know. I still wish it for you.

Thank you for your message. I am so sorry for your loss too.
I do the same. One day sitting on a beach I saw this young man and I said look it’s Daniel..it is not easy working through grief. I seem to be missing Daniel more and more each day. I miss my brother too as they left within months of each other.
I sometimes feel so bad I just can’t cope.
Thank you again. And wish you well

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hi, Joan,

Let them souls go. Just let them go wherever they have or want to go. It's not our would anymore.

We all lost someone. I lost my rock climbing friend in my lap. My girlfriend in high school died in a car accident. And many more deaths before and after ... And I strongly believe if we don't let them go then we kind of imprison THEM. They just have to GO. I know how it sounds. And it hurts. But I've been there. That's why I'm saying let it go and do something good both for you and the Angello and your son!

But I still allow myself to be very sorry for your loss!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Hi, Joan,

Let them souls go. Just let them go wherever they have or want to go. It's not our would anymore.

We all lost someone. I lost my rock climbing friend in my lap. My girlfriend in high school died in a car accident. And any more deaths before and after ... And I strongly believe if W don left them to go then we kind of imprison THEM. They just have to GO. I know how it sounds. And it hurts. But I've been there. That's why I'm saying let it go and do something good both for you and the Angello and your son!

But I still allow myself to be very sorry for your loss!
you are so right...

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Via de La Plata (spring, 2019)
A couple of times in my life, I thought my death was imminent. My only thought at those times was the fear that my death would impact those I loved by causing them grief. I wished I could implore them to appreciate their lives, to feel joy and not waste their short time on earth, missing me. I still miss those I've lost, but I try to remember this. Live. Your loved ones would want you to live.

Camino(s) past & future
September 2-October 7 (2013)
May 5-28 (2015)
Dear Joan,
It seems incredible that 5 years have gone by since I met your brother while walking the Camino Frances. The first time was on the day I walked between Orisson and Roncesvalles. One of my acquaintances had already met him and his walking companion who was from Cambridge, Massachusetts, and with your brother being from Cambridge, England, I was introduced to the two men who'd become known as the Cambridge Twins! I saw him in Pamplona a couple of days later examining someone's feet and giving them advice about the care of blisters. A week or more later I recognized your brother coming out of a side road at Boadilla del Camino (I think it was) and when he stopped for a snack I joined him for coffee and a short conversation. I also met him on the street in Fromista and again in Carrion de los Condes. And then our pace changed, and when I was finally in Santiago meeting up with other pilgrims, many of whom I hadn't seen in weeks, your brother Agnelo was not among them. It was a huge shock several months later to see his picture and read the Facebook post telling of his passing in Triacastela. The correspondence you and I shared afterward and reading the post written by Emily (whom I met too) and who also met your brother was heartwarming. I pray that your broken heart continues to heal as much as possible and that you are sustained in life by your memories and conversations with others who met your brother on his pilgrimage and in other areas of his life. Spain is a beautiful country and I hope spending time at the place your brother once enjoyed was soothing and meaningful for you. Perhaps from the photos on his camera you can identify places along the Camino and visit them too. And for you to have experienced the unbearable loss of your son, Daniel, in the prime of his life - there are no words except to say I am very sorry for your loss.
With all my good wishes,
Carmen

Thank you Carmen for being such a great friend. You know how I feel. I cannot bear the loss. I live each day with the memories I have knowing I will not have any more. It hurts.
Daniels little girl is 7 now and misses her Daddy very much.
In Spain we live the life Agnel would have lived. Watching the windsurfers. Sitting on the beach, having a beer. There are no laughs as Agnel had a very contagious one.
Thank you Carmen your words made me cry but I know you are thinking of us and know our pain. Lots of love and Hugs

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Thank you for your post. I did not know your brother, but am very sorry for the loss of your son and your brother. There are no words I can offer that can take your pain away. However, I recently heard formerVP Joe Biden say the following at the eulogy for John McCaine. He related: your grief brings tears at the thought of your loss.....but there will come a time when your first rememberance of your loved one will bring a smile to your face...at some remembrance of them...and then, perhaps a tear. When you can smile, even for a few seconds, first...then you know your gonna be O.K. Blessings.

Thank you Marbe2. Thank you for your post. The one thing that makes me feel ok is that I know everyone is so kind. I love that you all send me the kindest messages for PEACE. Life can be cruel sometimes. Kind words say a lot.
Thank you for reading my post.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Thank you Marbe2. Thank you for your post. The one thing that makes me feel ok is that I know everyone is so kind. I love that you all send me the kindest messages for PEACE. Life can be cruel sometimes. Kind words say a lot.
Thank you for reading my post.
Thank you, again, for sharing it!

Ah, Joan, we never really lose anyone, especially if we do not want to lose them. Your Brother has a lot of real estate you your mind, and heart, especially right now. And on the Camino, we are all the same, equals. I say that to tell you, you re not alone out there, ever. Hugs.
So sorry, just remember that they are always with us in spirit and I'm sure your brother was with you when you went surfing. Blessings

joanjf, if you are looking, the way is looking for you. My youngest brother died too soon, too quickly. I know a little about your loss, because of that. Let me offer you something tangential:
It was posted recently on another thread. There is something other worldly about the voice of the singer and it captivates me. I heard it again on Friday in an unexpected situation. It was meant for me, to keep me putting one foot in front of the other! Keep sharing, you will find people here to listen.
Beautiful song.

Thank you Michelle for your kind words. You know a few months before my brother died my son died to. So it hurts to not have my precious Son Daniel and my very lovely Brother Agnello.
Joan, some may think this silly, even whacky but, they are both a part of you. That is so important. I urge a time to sit quietly and talk with them, as you need. They will respond. They are there to comfort your Heart. As terrible as it feels, you had more time with them than most anyone else in this World. Be proud of that. Let that comfort you as well.

Sending a PM.

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%