• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Aragonés

Josefine

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés Primitivo Aragonés/Francés, Portugues Fisterra/Muxia Norte San Salvador Via Gebennesis
Hi everybody, back in Sweden now after walking the Aragonés and then, from Puente la Reina, the Francés to Santiago.
I wwant to encourage everybody to walk the aragonés as it is absolutely lovely. Despite being a "mountaincamino" it is not hard at all, nothing like the Primitivo, the surroundings are amazing, I just felt happy to be there. The albergues are good, especially Arres, donativo, and Ruestas, private, located high up in the mountains surrounded by ruins, should not be missed. You can do the walk in 6 days but there are enough albergues to stop by if you want to make shorter stages and take some more days.
In the beginning of June we were 10-15 pilgrims staying at the same albergues every night, we became like a family :) The weather was vey hot, +30 something, I not sure, and that was the only problem since you will have long streches without any possibilities to get water or eat. The weather seems to be vey unpredictable, met a Spanish pilgrim who walked last year, starting June 1 and it was snowing when he set out from Somport, I started only with my t-shirt at 7 in the morning.
This is a Camino I would love to walk again!
Josefine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Josefine for your post! Can the Aragones be done by someone ( like me ) with vertigo issues? I don't have problems with steep descents, it's just the sight of a ravine that makes me really nervous.

Sabine, I don't think it would be a problem, you do walk up some hills, consequently you will look down, but I never got the feeling of of a scary ravine or walking close to one. If you're on FB you're welcome to add me and then you can have a look at my photos.
Josefine

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for this encouraging message!

Despite being a "mountaincamino" it is not hard at all

I hope/plan/will attempt this route in October. I hold you to that comment, I will keep it in my mind to give me confidence :)
Sue

Sue, I don't think you'll be disappointed and the autumncolours will turn this camino into a picture, like a work by a great artist :)
Josefine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sue, I don't think you'll be disappointed and the autumncolours will turn this camino into a picture, like a work by a great artist

As long as it doesn't snow :!: But thanks I will keep being confident and post when I finish.
Sue

In October, I met only two fellow pilgrims. The weather was very good for walking; some rain, but not terribly hot.

There is a fair amount of traversing steep hillsides, but no cliffs.

I liked the Camino Aragones better than the walk from St. Jean Pied de Port. The entry toward Puente la Reina from the backside of the Eunate church is one of the best views in Spain!

Thanks Falcon, I continue to anticipate a beautiful camino. I'm keen to see Eunate, in fact I'm keen to see everything from wherever I start through to Puente de la Reina.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Josefine said:
Hi everybody, back in Sweden now after walking the Aragonés and then, from Puente la Reina, the Francés to Santiago.
I wwant to encourage everybody to walk the aragonés as it is absolutely lovely. Despite being a "mountaincamino" it is not hard at all, nothing like the Primitivo, the surroundings are amazing, I just felt happy to be there. The albergues are good, especially Arres, donativo, and Ruestas, private, located high up in the mountains surrounded by ruins, should not be missed. You can do the walk in 6 days but there are enough albergues to stop by if you want to make shorter stages and take some more days.
In the beginning of June we were 10-15 pilgrims staying at the same albergues every night, we became like a family :) The weather was vey hot, +30 something, I not sure, and that was the only problem since you will have long streches without any possibilities to get water or eat. The weather seems to be vey unpredictable, met a Spanish pilgrim who walked last year, starting June 1 and it was snowing when he set out from Somport, I started only with my t-shirt at 7 in the morning.
Josefine
Hi Josefine - I am avidly following anything written about the Camino Aragones as I start it on 18 September, so was delighted to read what you had to say about it. Did you start from Somport or Jaca?

Hi Jenny, sorry to have kept you waiting for my answer. I started in Somport, slept in the albergue, the Camino starts just a few meter outside of it. The first day is beautiful so I wouldn't miss it, my second night was in Jaca so the first day was a bit hard, 32 km, since you're not yet used to walking. You have to possibility to do Somport-Canfranc if you have enough days and then to Jaca. But as to you question, my advice is to start in Somport.
I think you will love this Camino, I did.
Josefine

I am resolved not to start planning my 2013 camino quite yet, but you guys are making it hard with the raves about the Camino Aragones. It's definitely high on my list, so Jenny, I hope you will regale us with stories. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Laurie, when I arrived in Santiago finishing this years camino I decided not to start planning for next year, that was in the beginning of July. Well, now it turns out I spent all Sunday morning reading about the "coastal-coastal" route in Portugal, the one that goes right by the coast.......what can a pilgrim do but plan and dream? :D

I must agree with Laurie that the Aragónes sounds VERY tempting but I also want to finish the VdlP from Zamora to Santiago via Orense...humm...only back 1 week and my mind is wondering already:)!

Josefine
Thank you for sharing your Camino. I and a friend start out 31 August from Orloron Saint Marie and will walk up to Somport. Do you have any experience with that stretch of the Via Tolosana? I really appreciate the observation that the Aragonese is mountainous but not overwhelmingly rugged!
I expect to make Somport around 3 September. It sounds like a reasonable hike and well worth taking our time to enjoy the beauty. Thanks again. Buen Camino. GreyShepherd

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Grey.
Hope you get a beautiful weather up Valle de Aspe. I walked there in middle of May in heavy rain and had to stick to the road most of the time. Ended up with some short stretches by bus too. The turistoffice said either the road or bus because the paths were so bad in the rain. But at Somport i got a beautiful weather and could enjoy the view of the mountains. The road through Aragon was gorgeous.
Bonne route!
Randi

Hi Grey,
I considered doing the part from Orloron Saint Marie but decided against it as I was afraid I would have to hurry to reach Santiago in time. In the end I was sorry I didn't because I had 4 days left when I finally reched Santiago. So I can't tell you anything about that part but the rest is lovely, try to stay at the albergues in Ruesta and Arres, you will like them. Take water and something to eat every day, this is not the francés, you'll have many km with no villages and no bars and very few pilgrims.
Wishing you a beautiful Camino, there is peace in those mountains!
Josefine

peregrina2000 said:
I am resolved not to start planning my 2013 camino quite yet, but you guys are making it hard with the raves about the Camino Aragones. It's definitely high on my list, so Jenny, I hope you will regale us with stories. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie, I will keep you posted as I go along, but Anne is also starting from Jaca on the same date. Less than 2 weeks to go now. Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
jennysa said:
Anne is also starting from Jaca on the same date. Less than 2 weeks to go now. Jenny
Arriving in Jaca Sept. 18 if all goes well :) Hope to meet along the way :!:
Ultreya :arrow:

Josefine said:
Josefine

Hi Josefine -I have just finished walking it, and found it very hard and very hot. While the scenery is stunning, and I loved Ruesta, Saguesa and Mnreal, I found the recommended stages are far too long, particularly when walking in temperatures reaching over 35 degrees. I walked the 6 days on my own as everyone else was much younger than me and left me for dust. I ran out of water on the Arres-Ruesta stretch and had no food, and towards the end was in a state of semi-dehydration. I would not recommed any woman to walk it on her own, unless she is able to keep up with the younger guys (there were only 6 of us in the albergues after Arres). If anything had happened to me, such as a twisted ankle or dehydration or losing my way, I would have been in serious trouble as there was no one behind me. If there had been anyone else to walk with, it would have been less stressful. Twice I lost my way with no waymarks, and had to retrace my steps. I even landed up at the wrong village towards the end. I am relieved to be back on the Camino Frances and my stay at Eunate at the end was manna to the soul.

Hi Jenny and Wow! I am glad it all ended well for you. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the walk, (or may be just the scenery?), I guess this is a lesson to all of us, to learn that we don't experience things in the same way. As mentioned in my previous post, I also had over 30 C when I walked in June, and also walked on my own during the days carrying a lot of water, always the last one to reach the albergue.
I loved this Camino, I felt perfectly safe walking on my own, but yes, you have to bring water and some food supplies. Or maybe, as suggest in my previous post, make shorter stages, which is prefectly possible.
Again, Jenny, I am glad it all ended well for you. Our different experiences is a lesson to be learnt from.
Josefine

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Josefine said:
...I loved this Camino, I felt perfectly safe walking on my own, but yes, you have to bring water and some food supplies. Or maybe, as suggest in my previous post, make shorter stages, which is perfectly possible....
Both advices are worth repeating. The stretch between Ruesta and Undués de Lerda is particularly nasty for 6.5 km up and up and up (when you see the next bend of the track you'll think that you reached the top - which of course has fooled you!) and you'll need a lot of water (not less than 1 liter, which adds 1 kg to your pack).
In Sanguësa the albergue Municipal is not to write home about. You may want to find other available pilgrims' accommodation. The track after Sanguësa, for a few kilometers depending upon the wind, is a nauseating smell experience, due to a paper factory.
You may want to read some of our Aragonés experiences in September 2012 on http://www.gumbotropical.blogspot.com

Hi,
I walked the Camino Aragones in 2011 and loved it and seriously consider doing it again this year in Sept. I also experienced hot weather in the high 30's, and like Jenny I walked from Arres to Ruesta (27 km) but very hot and almost ran out of water. There is a village with an albergue (Artieda) 17 kms after Arres but I didn't stop to replenish water because the village is 800 metres uphill off the Camino - a big mistake on my part. The albergue at Eunate next to the church is now closed but it is only another 2.5 kms further to Obanos albergue or to Puenta la Reina about 4 kms.

Josefine
Hello, Could you give me advice about walking El Camino Arogones. I am having trouble finding information

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello, Could you give me advice about walking El Camino Arogones. I am having trouble finding information

Hi, cbrown, welcome to the forum!

There is quite a bit of info in the Aragonés subforum, just scroll through the topics -- https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-aragonés.33/

I walked it in 2015 -- https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/our-camino-aragonés-june-2015.36782/

If you are talking about guides, I would look at gronze -- even if you don't speak Spanish you will see all the relevant info. The route is extremely well marked. https://www.gronze.com/camino-aragones

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
sorry to tag this on here - I am flying into Zaragoza on the 9th and will be walking from Somport to Puente de Reina that week. A quick question

- Will a silk / cotton sleeping bag liner be sufficient rather than sleeping bag ?

thanks
Duncan

I would say sleeping bag. We were freezing in the albergue in Canfranc estacion. However that was first week in May.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Josefine -I have just finished walking it, and found it very hard and very hot. While the scenery is stunning, and I loved Ruesta, Saguesa and Mnreal, I found the recommended stages are far too long, particularly when walking in temperatures reaching over 35 degrees. I walked the 6 days on my own as everyone else was much younger than me and left me for dust. I ran out of water on the Arres-Ruesta stretch and had no food, and towards the end was in a state of semi-dehydration. I would not recommed any woman to walk it on her own, unless she is able to keep up with the younger guys (there were only 6 of us in the albergues after Arres). If anything had happened to me, such as a twisted ankle or dehydration or losing my way, I would have been in serious trouble as there was no one behind me. If there had been anyone else to walk with, it would have been less stressful. Twice I lost my way with no waymarks, and had to retrace my steps. I even landed up at the wrong village towards the end. I am relieved to be back on the Camino Frances and my stay at Eunate at the end was manna to the soul.
Thank you for your honest report. My husband (nearly 79) and myself (70 this month) have walked all ('13) and parts ('14 to '17) of CF and I've been tempted to look at other possibilities! Baztán in '16 was definitely too much for us. Maybe be best to pick out parts of the CF to walk again, given our difficulties.

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back