• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Begins

Dan Murphy

Time of past OR future Camino
August 25, 2016
My Camino begins on August 25 after a short side trip to Lourdes. Thought I would share some information that might help others on their journey.

Training - began walking in early January along a combination of trails and roads. It was winter then so I walked without snowshoes. I have lost 2.5 waist sizes and logged over 1400 km since I began. My average daily walks are 15 km with my pack (15.2 lbs)

Shoes - Merrell Moab GTX Trail (men's). My first pair were size 10.5 but when I got my orthotics I had to purchase a size eleven. I have retried those as they have over 1000 km on them. The only problem was that the inside heel wore. This was repaired with moleskin. I am now breaking a third pair but they already feel like slippers. I believe it is the feet that break into the boot....

Socks - Ice Breaker liner socks that wore through at the heel at 956 km and were replaced for free as they have a life time warranty. Outer socks are Smart-wool Phd Outdoor.

Equipment - managed to purchase most of my gear on sale. Weights are in kilograms.

Ospery Kestral 38 backpack 1.44
Two dry bags (Woods) 0.1
Ospery 1.5 L bladder 0.158
Water bladder (wide mouth) 0.043
Sleeping bag (Chinook) 0.769
Silk Bag Liner (Treksilk) 0.11
Inflatable Pillow (Sea to Summit) 0.07
Pile pillow cover 0.11

Clothing

Coolmax long sleeve/neck zip shirt 0.225
Micropile Jacket (Northface, Canyonlands) 0.489
Marmot Precip Jacket (wind/light rain) 0.32
Zippered long sleeve shirt (merino) 0.11
Colombia Shirt (collared) 0.264
Hiking Pant/shorts 0.247
Underwear (Icebreaker merino)
Sea to Summit poncho/tarp 0.192
Smart wool phd socks (1 pair in pack) 0.075
Regular socks
Ice breaker liner socks (1 pair in pack) 0.041
Polypropylene liner sock (1 pair) 0.042
Merino Tee (Ice Breaker) 0.142

Equipment

Micro daypack (Marks' Work Warehouse) 0.057
Headlamp (Homehardware) 0.087
Hat
Hand wash
Sol emergency blanket 0.07
Headband (buff)
Guide book 0.265
Towel medium (Sea to Summit) 0.06

Sandals (Keen Rapids) 0.754
Cell phone charger 0.054
Shaving kit (razor, tooth brush, small tube of tooth past, shaving flakes, 0.053
Journal/pen
First aid kit 0.166
Sunscreen/sun glasses

Total load (pounds) 15.2 (without water)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't see moleskin on your list, you can't find it in Spain The rest looks good I assume you have fully packed & have done some walking?

Wow that is what i call training. Camino is going to be a walk in the park for you.
List looks Great. Don't see a poncho? Assume you are relying on the rain jacket! I prefer ponchos during long rainy days...

Wish i have your weight loss problem though, haha. Have done two Caminos. Will loose about 15 ibs each time and then regain them in no time. My metabolism is slowing down...Buen Camino

Edit: I do see a tarp poncho, great choice, i have the same.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My Camino begins on August 25
after a short side trip to Lourdes. Thought I would share some information that might help others on their journey.

Training - began walking in early January along a combination of trails and roads. It was winter then so I walked without snowshoes. I have lost 2.5 waist sizes and logged over 1400 km since I began. My average daily walks are 15 km with my pack (15.2 lbs)

Shoes - Merrell Moab GTX Trail (men's). My first pair were size 10.5 but when I got my orthotics I had to purchase a size eleven. I have retried those as they have over 1000 km on them. The only problem was that the inside heel wore. This was repaired with moleskin. I am now breaking a third pair but they already feel like slippers. I believe it is the feet that break into the boot....

Socks - Ice Breaker liner socks that wore through at the heel at 956 km and were replaced for free as they have a life time warranty. Outer socks are Smart-wool Phd Outdoor.

Equipment - managed to purchase most of my gear on sale. Weights are in kilograms.

Two dry bags (Woods) 0.1
Pile pillow cover 0.11

Clothing

Hiking Pant/shorts 0.247
Regular socks
Merino Tee (Sea to Summit) 0.142

Equipment

Hat
Hand wash
Headband (buff)
Guide book 0.265

Cell phone charger 0.054
Shaving kit (razor, tooth brush, small tube of tooth past, shaving flakes, 0.053
Journal/pen
First aid kit 0.166
Sunscreen/sun glasses

Great post Dan...Cheers.....can you recommend a store or Web site where I could find those socks, maybe trainer's /shoes. ...joef

My Camino begins on August 25 after a short side trip to Lourdes. Thought I would share some information that might help others on their journey.

Two dry bags (Woods) 0.1
Pile pillow cover 0.11

Clothing

Hiking Pant/shorts 0.247
Regular socks
Merino Tee (Sea to Summit) 0.142

Equipment

Hat
Hand wash
Headband (buff)
Guide book 0.265

Cell phone charger 0.054
Journal/pen
First aid kit 0.166
Sunscreen/sun glasses

what a great review. I am planing to walk this year on same dates and feeling way under planed... I just started walking training and I believe my mined is much more trained then the body, hoping it counts for something :)

Did you fined that anything on that list was unnecessary ? weather wise di you have much rain?

Did you fined that anything on that list was unnecessary ? weather wise di you have much rain?
If you are lucky no rain in September. Weather can be unpredictable in northern Spain. Expect rain at least in Galicia. A poncho and rain pants would be practical if you don't like getting too wet. I always walk in shorts and put my rain pants during sustained rain. Poncho covers my pack and 2/3 of me.

These could be considered luxury:
-Inflatable Pillow (Sea to Summit) 0.07
-Pile pillow cover 0.11
-Headlamp (Homehardware) 0.087
-Sol emergency blanket 0.07

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you are lucky no rain in September. Weather can be unpredictable in northern Spain. Expect rain at least in Galicia. A poncho and rain pants would be practical if you don't like getting too wet. I always walk in shorts and put my rain pants during sustained rain. Poncho covers my pack and 2/3 of me.

These could be considered luxury:
-Inflatable Pillow (Sea to Summit) 0.07
-Pile pillow cover 0.11
-Headlamp (Homehardware) 0.087
-Sol emergency blanket 0.07

I debated dropping the Sol emergency blanket however as my Sea t0 Summit Pouch doubles as a tarp I will have the option of sleeping outdoors. The Sol emergency blanket makes a great ground sheet. When walking the Meseta I plan to gather a group together and walk a leg at night under the stars. They say the Camino de Santiago follows the milky way, "the way of the stars". During my years as an outdoor educator I lead hundreds of night hikes and a night hike with starlight is an incredible dimensional experience. I never travel anywhere on the land without a headlamp ..... :)

I did not take a headlamp last time and regretted it. I like to start walking sometime between 7 and 7:30 but in October it didn't get light enough for me to see clearly until between 8 and 8:30. Never again. The 4.15 oz that I saved was not worth it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bring a pack of medium/large safety pins.

Two dry bags (Woods) 0.1
Pile pillow cover 0.11

Clothing

Hiking Pant/shorts 0.247
Regular socks
Merino Tee (Ice Breaker) 0.142

Equipment

Hat
Hand wash
Headband (buff)
Guide book 0.265

Cell phone charger 0.054
Journal/pen
First aid kit 0.166
Sunscreen/sun glasses

Hi Dan:
You are obviously prepared for your journey. This trip takes considerably more preparation than a weekend canoe trip on the Upper Humber.
Walking the Camino is a wonderful experience.
Buen Camino
R. Noonan

Hi Dan:
You are obviously prepared for your journey. This trip takes considerably more preparation than a weekend canoe trip on the Upper Humber.
Walking the Camino is a wonderful experience.
Buen Camino
R. Noonan

R. Looking forward to this journey as it will be difference experience from a solely wilderness trek or paddle. My training is most likely overkill but I managed to get in shape and that alone is the real plus. The walk will be a ramble, I will book no rooms except perhaps the first night. The wind will take me, I will write along the way and if I have to sleep in a barn or a field I won't mind ...... :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back