• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My camino could have ended but for an honest pilgrim

Agnogel

A very great full pilgrim
Day two of my camino on my walk from Orisson to the monastery at Roncesvalles I was very tired and sore when I reached the albergue it was not opened for to go to your bed and we had to wait a few minutes. I sat on a bench in the hallway while my thoughts were on the walk I had just completed then a hospitalero opened the room you leave your boots in. I had my passport my wallet my phone and my credencials that I had just got stamped at the reception in a small zip lock bag in my hand. I put the bag down on the bench beside me to remove my boots and I then went into the room to leave the boots on one of the shelves. I then headed up to the top storey to my bunk when I arrived I went to take off my jacket and I put my hand in my pocket to take out the zip lock bag I then discovered i had left it down stairs.

Tired and sore as I was I ran back down the stairs to the bench I had been sitting on but no zip lock bag was to be seen I then found a hospitalero in the hallway I asked her about the bag and she told me some one had handed it in to reception. At that moment a great sigh of relief came over me almost like the hand of God had just touched me. I went to the reception and another hospitalero had it sitting on a shelf waiting for me. I asked who had handed it in to thank them and was told we don't know who, To say I am grateful for that honest person is an understatement. I later said a prayer for who ever it was that saved this pilgrim's camino.
If ever that person happens to read this post I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I pray your camino is as rewarding as mine.

Thank you

yours Peter

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it great that you recovered your things, and I can imagine your relief that these weren't taken. However, it worries me that what seems to be normal human respect for others' property is seen to be as 'angelic'. That seems a sad reflection of our expectations of others.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You encountered a Camino Angel Peter.

The finder did what he wished someone would do for him if the situation was reversed. This is one of the many reasons to go back and walk again. We all can be Camino Angels given the chance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think it great that you recovered your things, and I can imagine your relief that these weren't taken. However, it worries me that what seems to be normal human respect for others' property is seen to be as 'angelic'. That seems a sad reflection of our expectations of others.
The term "Camino Angel" is much the same as "Trail Angel/AT Angel" and usually connotes something "good" that happens in a bad, or possibly misfortunate situation.

Whew! So glad everything turned out well, especially after the string of robberies in Rabanal and O Cebreiro this past week. As you're so grateful for the kindness of others, I'm sure you will be a blessing to the pilgrims in your path for the remainder of your Camino. Enjoy the rest of it and Buen Camino!
Faith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Saint James works in strange, sometimes really strange ways as he looks over all his pilgrims...

This is one of the recurring themes along the Camino. This is joined by other themes, such as: the Camino provides, ask and you will receive, do unto others as you would have them do unto you..., etc.

It is both very simple, yet VERY profound.

I am glad for you that it all worked out. I have been following your progress and know that this pilgrimage has been a long time in planning. We all wish you a healthy and meaningful journey.

Really uplifting to hear of your relief.

I suppose that when we are exhausted, distracted- even by placing a pair of boots-we are most vulnerable!

Not an " angel", just a decent human being ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Day two of my camino on my walk from Orisson to the monastery at Roncesvalles I was very tired and sore when I reached the albergue it was not opened for to go to your bed and we had to wait a few minutes. I sat on a bench in the hallway while my thoughts were on the walk I had just completed then a hospitalero opened the room you leave your boots in. I had my passport my wallet my phone and my credencials that I had just got stamped at the reception in a small zip lock bag in my hand. I put the bag down on the bench beside me to remove my boots and I then went into the room to leave the boots on one of the shelves. I then headed up to the top storey to my bunk when I arrived I went to take off my jacket and I put my hand in my pocket to take out the zip lock bag I then discovered i had left it down stairs.

Tired and sore as I was I ran back down the stairs to the bench I had been sitting on but no zip lock bag was to be seen I then found a hospitalero in the hallway I asked her about the bag and she told me some one had handed it in to reception. At that moment a great sigh of relief came over me almost like the hand of God had just touched me. I went to the reception and another hospitalero had it sitting on a shelf waiting for me. I asked who had handed it in to thank them and was told we don't know who, To say I am grateful for that honest person is an understatement. I later said a prayer for who ever it was that saved this pilgrim's camino.
If ever that person happens to read this post I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I pray your camino is as rewarding as mine.

Thank you

yours Peter
This doesn't surprise me at all. So happy you got your things back. Been Camino.

These things are not common so we have to explain them some how. There was a quote that said" Common sense is so uncommon that it is now a super power" Same thing in this case!

It's good to see the kindness of strangers in action. I'm glad you got your stuff back.

I agree with those who remarked about how common courtesy is no longer considered common but angelic or heroic. I am amazed when I see a video on FB or YouTube heralding a modern-day hero only to see that it's just someone doing the right thing. It's usually a small act of common courteous like holding a door open for someone whose hands are full or picking up a child's dropped bottle that the mother didn't see. It's my dream that courteous behavior comes back to being the norm, an expectation, rather than cause for a coronation ceremony. And I expect to find very kind, very courteous people on the Camino (next spring) and everywhere.

I am not surprised that it was handed in, I too think most people are good. However, it wouldn't have shocked me to hear of it going the other way too.

Another story on the plus side: A couple of years ago while hiking in Italy, I found myself walking along a narrow ledge with a steep vertical drop to one side (I don't know how far down the drop, but there is no way I would survived falling). Not having great balance, I ended up having to slide down on my rear-end in a couple of spots and in so doing must have unfastened the clasp holding my money belt on. At some point as I continued to descend it worked its way out from under my clothes and fell to the ground.

Meanwhile, I had no idea I had lost my passport, credit and bank cards (except one) and about $500 Euros in cash (it was day four of an eleven day hike and the places I was staying largely only accepted cash,and shockingly, ATM's are relatively thin on the ground high in the Dolomites). No idea until a German hiker yells ahead for me to stop. I turn around to him holding what looks like a money belt. And then I realized that it was mine.

I was carrying a small amount of cash in my wallet to cover any lunch I might come across the opportunity to buy, I wouldn't even have realized it was missing for another 4-6 hours. Whew!

My story revolves around Heathrow (known in our family as "City of the Damned") and a long 28 hour flight from Australia. I'd made it out of one terminal, through passport control and a security check (with attendant long queues) into a second terminal through another security check (with attendant queues). Only then, with time to spare before my onward flight and coffee shop at hand, did I realise my wallet with ++ Euro cash was missing. Frantic dash to airline counter, phone calls to previous terminal, it had been handed in at the first terminal. I then had to queue to exit through security at the second terminal, queue to enter security check at first terminal, collect wallet, queue through security to exit first terminal.... When I saw the extra, extra long queue to enter the second terminal again, I had been through 5 security queues.... I sucked in my breath and approached a security guard..... he waived me to the front of the queue and through. I had two angels that day - my wallet had apparently been handed in by a member of the cleaning staff. Now cleaners are poorly paid and it must sometimes be galling to watch well heeled travellers having all the fun. Not a cent was missing from my wallet. So one angel. And that security guard - he was indeed another angel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

yours Peter
Your Camino Angels were watching over you Peter - God Bless the honest person who handed your bag in so quickly.....this really restores faith in our fellow travellers....Camino hugs to you.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back