• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino de Madrid stages, trying to take it slow and steady...

Phillypilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
C F Sept.(2013) Camino de Madrid & Finisterre/Muxia Sept. (2014)
Finisterre/Muia June (2017).
1. Madrid to Tres Cantos 23K (14.2M) Booked at Holiday Inn (Have Priority points to stay for free, so..)
2. Tres Cantos to Colmenar 12K (7.4M) Booked at Hostal el Chiscon.
3. Colmenar to Manzanares 15K (9.3M) Waiting to hear from Hostal El Yelmo, sent an email to book.
4. Manzanares to Cercedilla 19K (11.8M) booked at Hostal Aribel.
5. Cercedilla to Segovia 31K (19.2M) Booked at San Antonia del Real, a SPLURGE.
6. Rest day in Segovia, staying at new albergue this night.
7. Segovia to Ane 21K (13M)
8.Ane to Nieva 13K (8M)
9. Nieva to Coca 20K (12.4M)
10. Coca to Alcazaren 25K (15.5M)
11. Alcazaren to Puente Duero 25K (15.5M)
12. Puente Duero to Penaflor 26K (16M)
13. Penaflor to Medina de Rioseco 24K (15M)
14.Medina de Rioseco to Cuenca de Campos 22K (13.6M)
15. Cuenca de Campos to Santeras de Campos 19K (11.8M)
16. Santeras de Campos to Sahagun 15.5K (9.6M)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Phillypilgrim,

Bet you´re getting excited.

I love looking at stages, so I'll take the first stab.

Do you know there is an option to cut up the day into Segovia by going to Valsaín? http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-shorter-stage-from-cercedilla.17247/ And some suggest walking to Valsaín and then hopping a bus, though that would depend on your attitude about buses.

And you probably know this, but the new Segovia albergue is actually a few kms out of town in Zamarramala, I think it´s about 3 km.

I think the Cuenca de Campos albergue must be new, and I know nothing about it, but I do know that the albergue in Villalón de Campos, 4 or 5 km further on, is a four star operation. The town itself is interesting, there´s a pillory there rumored to have been designed by someone involved in the Burgos cathedral somehow (hope that´s the right story), but in any event it´s a pretty little town. And the albergue has a hospitalero who cooks a communal dinner (in my case and many others, there are two people at the dinner, the pilgrim and the hospitalero). It´s just a really nice place, but I know that distances will determine where you stop. If you´re feeling frisky in Cuenca de Campos, though, you might try carrying on to Villalón.

I think the distances on stages 15 and 16 are too short, but it doesn´t really matter because you have two very manageable stages by breaking that last stage into two. Villalón to Sahagún is anywhere from 37-40, no one seems to agree (I walked it and it was a LONG day), and Cuenca de Campos is about 5 km before Villalón, so your daily totals on days 15 and 16 are likely to be longer than what you´ve got, but no big deal. The albergue in Santervás de Campos was new when I walked through, but I didn´t stay. I do remember a nice Romanesque church, and a statue honoring Ponce de León, a native son of the small town.

Kinky should be back online with his recent report, so I´m sure you´ll get lots of more recent information than mine, which is from 2011, I think. Buen camino, Laurie

HI Laurie, I was hoping to get your feedback! I did read Annie Santiago's blog and saw that they went to Valsain then bused to Segovia. I am not opposed to that, and will play it by ear. They also followed "green dots" vs the Camino arrows on this leg which I would love to hear from others about! Maybe I will push on to Villalon, nothing after Segovia is cast in stone. I am excited!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, @Phillypilgrim :)

I second some of Laurie's observations but won't go into details here. I'm in the process of organizing my photos and as soon as I figure out how to extract Endomondo GPS track I'll start to post my itinerary and all the rest. I hope by the end of the week you'll be able to read it day by day.

Until then...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looking forward to your posts K-O!!
Allan, yes I start CdM on September 3rd, so looks like I can have lunch at the Fiesta in Navacerrada!

The camino takes you right into the centre of Navacerrada. You get to a little square with the Fuente Angeles in front of the Ayuntamieno (on your left). The Camino goes right up the hill in front of the Butcher's (with cow statues outside) but if instead you go the first left after the Ayuntamieno you enter the main square with lots of bars/restaurants. The Feziz de Segovia is famous for it's speciality "Picatostes con Chocolate".

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. Madrid to Tres Cantos 23K (14.2M) Booked at Holiday Inn (Have Priority points to stay for free, so..)
3. Colmenar to Manzanares 15K (9.3M) Waiting to hear from Hostal El Yelmo, sent an email to book.
8.Ane to Nieva 13K (8M)
Life saver...
I have been looking for a list like this.
You have made my day
Cheers
Yarma

Hi Yarma, The distances are a little off, you may have to double check them. It is an interesting trail, so glad I walked it!

8.Ane to Nieva 13K (8M)
Hello, Phillypilgrim, thank you very much for posting your stages, and your experience with the CdM. I'm planning to walk from Avila to Santiago de Compostela this August, and it looks to me like the CdM will be the easier route for a woman in her sixties who's been seriously sedentary for the last fifteen years -- easier than the Via de la Plata, anyway. I have begun training, and I hope to do much of my walking in the wee, pre-dawn hours of the morning in order to avoid the heat of the day. What you have posted will really help with my planning!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Each day bring PLENTY of water (at least 2 liters) and food as there are few (or none) bar/restaurants for food and beverages.
Also, make sure you have cell phone reception for an emergency as there are no pilgrims arriving behind you!!

Each day bring PLENTY of water (at least 2 liters) and food as there are few (or none) bar/restaurants for food and beverages.
Also, make sure you have cell phone reception for an emergency as there are no pilgrims arriving behind you!!
This is really good advice! Thank you. Was it your experience that you could purchase trail-friendly food at each place where you stopped for the night? Or do Camino walkers ship boxes to re-supply points the way wilderness hikers in the US do?

Hello, Phillypilgrim, thank you very much for posting your stages, and your experience with the CdM. I'm planning to walk from Avila to Santiago de Compostela this August, and it looks to me like the CdM will be the easier route for a woman in her sixties who's been seriously sedentary for the last fifteen years -- easier than the Via de la Plata, anyway. I have begun training, and I hope to do much of my walking in the wee, pre-dawn hours of the morning in order to avoid the heat of the day. What you have posted will really help with my planning!
Hola!

I must admit that I have almost the opposite experience as @Phillypilgrim regarding food, water etc., mind you that Spain is not wilderness and that in almost every village there is a shop, restaurant, bar or at least a fountain with agua potable. And I too walked it this year. You can read all about it here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finally-my-camino-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/
I suggest that you begin reading from post no.46 on where day-by-day blog starts, with photos and gps tracks.

And if I may add (while planning Levante & Sanabres for next year right now), I have a feeling that Camino de Madrid is a little bit easier than Camino de Levante. But I'm sure @peregrina2000 (first I can think of) could do more adequate comparison because she walked both routes couple of years ago.

Anyway - enjoy & Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FYI, I spent some time this fall at Cuenca de Campos and the albergue is fine. It's not the fab experience of Villalon, but the town itself (Cuenca, I mean) has a whole lot of cool things going for it, including an innovative workshop where people like me are learning to build things out of adobe and plaster them with earth... There's a very good restaurant in town with rooms above if you find the albergue not to your liking. And a spooky, huge old convent that's really worth poking around, if you can find one of the family who's using it as a grain store/family bunkhouse!

FYI, I spent some time this fall at Cuenca de Campos and the albergue is fine. It's not the fab experience of Villalon, but the town itself (Cuenca, I mean) has a whole lot of cool things going for it, including an innovative workshop where people like me are learning to build things out of adobe and plaster them with earth... There's a very good restaurant in town with rooms above if you find the albergue not to your liking. And a spooky, huge old convent that's really worth poking around, if you can find one of the family who's using it as a grain store/family bunkhouse!
Ah, Cuenca de Campos - one of my fondest memories!!! :D

Anyway, Camino de Madrid is a gem for me. I really have to try to outline "not the best" experience(s) (but far from bad!) which can be narrowed maybe to first stage to Tres Cantos and village of Valsain itself and that's it.

With outstanding last night spent in Palacio in Grajal de Campos all by myself, huh...........:cool:

madrid trail.jpg Well, let me say again that I loved this walk and EVERYONE I met was so helpful and kind.
But my experience was that there is not the CF infrastructure of many bars open on the trail to provide stops for food/water. Many times I walked through villages to find that I would need to wander around the town off trail to find something open. I just found it easier to have many snacks with me and plenty of water so I could stop whenever I needed to rest and eat. So yes, in my final destination I would stock up at the local mercado for the next day. There were no other pilgrims and I don't speak Spanish, so the rhythm I developed may have been different from others. I agree with Kinkyone, that day one to Tres Cantos was particularly long, hot and nowhere to stop. But I think I may have made an error by taking the left turn to "A" versus "B"!! (see photo)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 15394 Well, let me say again that I loved this walk and EVERYONE I met was so helpful and kind.
But my experience was that there is not the CF infrastructure of many bars open on the trail to provide stops for food/water. Many times I walked through villages to find that I would need to wander around the town off trail to find something open. I just found it easier to have many snacks with me and plenty of water so I could stop whenever I needed to rest and eat. So yes, in my final destination I would stock up at the local mercado for the next day. There were no other pilgrims and I don't speak Spanish, so the rhythm I developed may have been different from others. I agree with Kinkyone, that day one to Tres Cantos was particularly long, hot and nowhere to stop. But I think I may have made an error by taking the left turn to "A" versus "B"!! (see photo)
@Phillypilgrim , I took option "B" but later when looking at gps tracks I found out that it doesn't make much difference. At least not for long because quite soon both paths are merging. Maybe next time I'll take option "A" and report ;)

Of course, I do agree that infrastructure is less than on CF, but I've found it adequate. I mean adequate in terms that I had that knowledge from reasearch I've made before taking off. It is also helpful if you speak some Spanish. I speak several languages and understand overall meaning of sentences in most European languages (except Hungarian, Albanian, Greek and Scandinavian languages) so I was quite able to combine those up to ability to talk about current economical situation in Europe for three hours with Spaniard. Still can't believe how was that possible. I guess with some help from orujo blanco ;)

All in all - a beautiful Camino!

Anytime anyone posts in the Camino de Madrid route category, I find I get very happy and excited to read them!!! I think this says a lot about the experiences I had, and we "ALL" had on this trail. It is very special.

View attachment 15394 Well, let me say again that I loved this walk and EVERYONE I met was so helpful and kind.
As I have not walked the CF, or any other Camino yet, a comparison of the infrastructure of the CDM with the CF doesn't mean too much to me. It is comforting to hear that almost every village can offer the basic necessities, even if slightly off the trail. But like you, I do not speak Spanish (though I hope to pick up a little before August!), and that does complicate matters somewhat, so your experience seems relevant and helpful to me. I expect to pick up the CDM at Segovia, and I just assume that between now and then I will figure out the route to walk from Avila to Segovia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ahhhh, Segovia….

Attachments

• segovia.jpg
    segovia.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 10
  • segovia2.jpeg
    segovia2.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 10
As I have not walked the CF, or any other Camino yet, a comparison of the infrastructure of the CDM with the CF doesn't mean too much to me. It is comforting to hear that almost every village can offer the basic necessities, even if slightly off the trail. But like you, I do not speak Spanish (though I hope to pick up a little before August!), and that does complicate matters somewhat, so your experience seems relevant and helpful to me. I expect to pick up the CDM at Segovia, and I just assume that between now and then I will figure out the route to walk from Avila to Segovia.
Do you want to change from Levante (Avila) to Madrid (Segovia)? That's approx.70kms to NE. Or vice versa? Because I remember a post that somebody will change from Coca (Madrid) to Medina del Campo (Levante) next year. I can try and search that thread if you wish.

K1

Ahhhh, Segovia….
Yes!! St. John of the Cross draws me there, and I think it is one of the most beautiful places I have visited in Spain: many happy memories, and great anticipation for my coming visit! And by joining the CDM there, I avoid the challenging part that would be hardest on my knees.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Do you want to change from Levante (Avila) to Madrid (Segovia)? That's approx.70kms to NE. Or vice versa? Because I remember a post that somebody will change from Coca (Madrid) to Medina del Campo (Levante) next year. I can try and search that thread if you wish.

K1
KinkyOne, you are very kind!! The short answer to your question is: Avila to Segovia! I will be in Avila to celebrate the Fifth Centenary of St. Teresa's birth. After the celebration finishes, I will begin my walk from Avila to Santiago de Compostela. My initial research pointed me in the direction of the Via de la Plata, but as I read over and over that it is the most challenging Camino to walk, I started looking at other options, and noticed that the CDM passes through Segovia, which is one of my favorite places. I am also drawn to it by the solitude it promises, as I am making the journey for spiritual reasons, not just for amusement. Until now, I had not taken in that Avila was on any recognized Camino. I will have to read about the experiences that some of you have had on the Levante to see if I should just follow it north. Certainly I am already re-thinking my plan of simply following the CF to Santiago de Compostela from where the CDM joins it; I had not considered the impact that sudden contact with lots of people could have.

KinkyOne, you are very kind!! The short answer to your question is: Avila to Segovia! I will be in Avila to celebrate the Fifth Centenary of St. Teresa's birth. After the celebration finishes, I will begin my walk from Avila to Santiago de Compostela. My initial research pointed me in the direction of the Via de la Plata, but as I read over and over that it is the most challenging Camino to walk, I started looking at other options, and noticed that the CDM passes through Segovia, which is one of my favorite places. I am also drawn to it by the solitude it promises, as I am making the journey for spiritual reasons, not just for amusement. Until now, I had not taken in that Avila was on any recognized Camino. I will have to read about the experiences that some of you have had on the Levante to see if I should just follow it north. Certainly I am already re-thinking my plan of simply following the CF to Santiago de Compostela from where the CDM joins it; I had not considered the impact that sudden contact with lots of people could have.
Well, Avila is on Camino de Levante, halfway from Valencia to Santiago, which means approx.560kms in each direction. I only found out that now :) That is if you proceed onto Camino de Sanabres from Zamora (where Levante joins Via de la Plata). More about Levante you can found in this section:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/
and some of my research in upper post (for now).
I haven't been on Levante yet but through research it seems to me that the solitude is almost the same as on Madrid. Well, maybe a bit more pilgrims on Levante, still very scarce though. Both routes "demands" some basic Spanish, although on Levante locals seems to be slightly more familiar about Camino and pilgrims.

If you need anything more just ask :)

K1

When it comes to wide-open, prayerful spaces given to mysticism, you will find plenty of that on both Levante and Madrid routes -- even though my experiences with both were curtailed by heat exhaustion. (you would think I would LEARN...)

I want to know more about your night in Grajal, KinkyOne. I didn't think that "albergue" had ever opened its doors.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When it comes to wide-open, prayerful spaces given to mysticism, you will find plenty of that on both Levante and Madrid routes -- even though my experiences with both were curtailed by heat exhaustion. (you would think I would LEARN...)

I want to know more about your night in Grajal, KinkyOne. I didn't think that "albergue" had ever opened its doors.
Hi, Reb,

Maybe you haven't been to my thread about Madrid which you can find here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finally-my-camino-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/
(Grajal experience is on the second page, post no.130 - with photos!!!)

But I'll paste the text here:
"GRAJAL DE CAMPOS (Mon, 07.07.2014)

Yes, it's a separate post about that because I think it deserves it. When I came to Grajal's Main Plaza it was kind of deserted but the guy washing his car in the next street show me the way to the second (first is the Meson near the Plaza with exquisite food) bar up the street towards the RENFE station where alcade (mayor) has gone few minutes ago. When I came there with all my gear bar owner didn't seems really happy, but one lady customer understand what I want and called for the alcalde through the window (he just left the bar). When he returned back to the bar's first floor I ordered drinks for both of us and later he took me back down to the Plaza Mayor and the Palacio.

Before entering the Palacio he showed me where tienda was (on the entering, lefthand – probably there will be commercial for ice-cream on the street – if closed ring a bell!) and the second bar (which is already mentioned Meson).

The thing is that they've started with fitting the albergue in Palacio but I guess the economical crisis stopped it. They have already posted that there are 32 beds available in albergue (I have this leaflet if anyone interested) which is not true. Yet… Yes, you can sleep there, but only on the floor for now and if you have the sleeping mat that's OK for him ;) To this point he was just telling me all this. And then we entered Palacio and I was……………., no words to express my feeling and what I've had in my »possesion« for one night. He took me through the main gate for visitors (photo603) and gave me a short tour through Palacio (photos578,580,581,583,585,586&588). At this point I still couldn't believed that he was giving me the key to the entire Palacio to sleep in… But it was true. I was left there to decide where and how I'll manage my sleeping. And he simply said that in the morning I left the key in the mailbox at his house which is on the Camino leaving the town…

Unbelievable. I mean, I was just a very very smelly guy asking for accommodation and here you have – whole Palacio. I've made up my sleeping place behind the reception desk because there was less draft (photo595). And after a while I went discovering… There was nice view over Castelo (photo590), the one all the way to Sahagun (photo591 – in next post), some recognitions (photo593 – in next post) and especially unfinished albergue (photos598-602&606 – in next post).

Unforgettable!!! At almost last stage of Camino de Madrid! Unforgettable and unbelievable! WOW, what an experience!!!"

K1

how wonderful! Thanks for sharing that. The mayor there is a gem, and the palacio, well... it is a wonderful place, and has a very bumpy history. Good thing you were a worn-out pilgrim disposed to sleeping deeply, because there are supposed to be ghosts in there!

Hi, pray'nwalk,
Another pilgrim recently had a question about making the connection between Levante and Madrid, not sure it's relevant to your questions, though
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-member-s.30054/#post-255681

I am not aware of a marked path between Avila and SEgovia, but I know there are lots of roads and highways. Even if you want to get back to the Camino de Madrid, it might be a good idea to wait till you're at a higher point north, much as this other thread suggests. That would mean at least a few days on the Levante, with a cross over.

But I can say that the walk from Avila to Santiago on the Levante/Sanabres is quite a terrific journey also. I posted a document with my stages https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-levante.19142/

Starting in avila, you'd be about a week from Zamora and the Sanabres. The part before Zamora will be a little lonely, but from then on, you'll find company at least during the high walking season. Have fun planning, buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rebakah, isn't the albergue in the former jail/dungeon/prison?
Laurie, Grajal "albergue to be" is in the basement (if you enter through glass doors from Plaza Mayor) of Palacio de Grajal. First when you enter you're immediately in small kitchenette, toilets and showers adjoining. To the left is a about 4mts wide and 15mts long room with brick walls where dormitory was planned. Further on there are stairs with small space to the left which will be the reception desk. So I was told. But it seems to me weird to enter the albergue through kitchen and bathrooms :) Therefore I think the main entrance will be as is, that's one level up and about 45degrees around the corner to the right from Plaza Mayor and through huge wooden doors.
See my posts on CdM where I posted all these with photos. Link is posted here, few posts back.

K1

I will be in Avila to celebrate the Fifth Centenary of St. Teresa's birth. After the celebration finishes, I will begin my walk from Avila to Santiago de Compostela. My initial research pointed me in the direction of the Via de la Plata, but as I read over and over that it is the most challenging Camino to walk, I started looking at other options, and noticed that the CDM passes through Segovia, which is one of my favorite places. I am also drawn to it by the solitude it promises, as I am making the journey for spiritual reasons, not just for amusement. Until now, I had not taken in that Avila was on any recognized Camino. I will have to read about the experiences that some of you have had on the Levante to see if I should just follow it north. Certainly I am already re-thinking my plan of simply following the CF to Santiago de Compostela from where the CDM joins it; I had not considered the impact that sudden contact with lots of people could have.

If you are re-thinking to join the CF, the Levante plus the Sanabrés with two stages on the Via de la Plata in between could be a good option. On the Levante, you'll pass through Medina del Campo where St. John of the Cross made his novitiate and was ordered priest and where St. Teresa de Jesús founded her first convent out of Ávila and where both of them met for the first time... In other words, a place that could be of your interest.

If you really want to change to the CdM, you could go from Ávila to Medina del Campo on the Levante, from Medina del Campo to Tordesillas on the Sureste, once in Tordesillas go to Puente Duero following the Senda del Duero (not a camino but a GR) in one day and continue on the CM from Puente Duero onwards till it meets the Francés. But if your looking for solitude, the option described on the paragraph above would be better for you. Not so much on the CM vs. Levante comparison but on the CF vs Sanabrés one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
be really careful leaving Medina del Campo. I was walking the Levante one morning, and realized in Rueda that we were instead on the Sureste! (and seeing as we were in Rueda, we had ourselves a glass of wine, and called a cab!)

once in Tordesillas go to Puente Duero following the Senda del Duero (not a camino but a GR) in one day

Hmmm. I just quoted the first option that came to my mind but there are other options and they could be better for some people, depending on each one's plans and preferences so let me quote them with some brief comments.

OPTION A:

To go to Puente Duero as I said above. On the plus side: there's an albergue in Puente Duero, it's easy to get from Puente Duero to Valladolid (hourly municipal buses, bicigrinos will like the "carril bici" -bike line- between Puente Duero and Valladolid...), the next stage -to Ciguñuela- is short. On the minus side, you have to backtrack to Simancas on your way from Puente Duero to Ciguñuela (unless you decide to visit Valladolid and design yourself some sort of route from Valladolid to Ciguñuela).

OPTION B:

To follow the Senda del Duero from Tordesillas to Simancas and once in Simancas continue on the CM to Ciguñuela. This route from Tordesillas to Ciguñuela can be walked in one day and would be the ideal one for those not interested in visiting Valladolid or Simancas (or not having enough time to visit them). There's an albergue in Ciguñuela.

OPTION C:

To follow the Senda del Duero from Tordesillas to Simancas making night in Simancas and continuing next day on the CM. There's no albergue in Simancas but there are accommodations in town and Simancas is nicer than either Puente Duero or Ciguñuela. Simancas is also well-conected with Valladolid both with municipal (urban) buses and interurban buses.

be really careful leaving Medina del Campo. I was walking the Levante one morning, and realized in Rueda that we were instead on the Sureste! (and seeing as we were in Rueda, we had ourselves a glass of wine, and called a cab!)

Tip: If exiting Medina del Campo, you cross over an autovía using an elevated pass (for vehicles but pilgrims have to use it too), then you are on the Sureste... You won't cross over an autovía exiting Medina del Campo on the Levante.
Another tip: If you find yourself in Rueda, ask for the buses to Medina del Campo. If their schedule suit you, you would save the taxi fare...

Hmmm. I just quoted the first option that came to my mind but there are other options and they could be better for some people, depending on each one's plans and preferences so let me quote them with some brief comments.

OPTION A:

To go to Puente Duero as I said above. On the plus side: there's an albergue in Puente Duero, it's easy to get from Puente Duero to Valladolid (hourly municipal buses, bicigrinos will like the "carril bici" -bike line- between Puente Duero and Valladolid...), the next stage -to Ciguñuela- is short. On the minus side, you have to backtrack to Simancas on your way from Puente Duero to Ciguñuela (unless you decide to visit Valladolid and design yourself some sort of route from Valladolid to Ciguñuela).

OPTION B:

To follow the Senda del Duero from Tordesillas to Simancas and once in Simancas continue on the CM to Ciguñuela. This route from Tordesillas to Ciguñuela can be walked in one day and would be the ideal one for those not interested in visiting Valladolid or Simancas (or not having enough time to visit them). There's an albergue in Ciguñuela.

OPTION C:

To follow the Senda del Duero from Tordesillas to Simancas making night in Simancas and continuing next day on the CM. There's no albergue in Simancas but there are accommodations in town and Simancas is nicer than either Puente Duero or Ciguñuela. Simancas is also well-conected with Valladolid both with municipal (urban) buses and interurban buses.

Tip: If exiting Medina del Campo, you cross over an autovía using an elevated pass (for vehicles but pilgrims have to use it too), then you are on the Sureste... You won't cross over an autovía exiting Medina del Campo on the Levante.
Another tip: If you find yourself in Rueda, ask for the buses to Medina del Campo. If their schedule suit you, you would save the taxi fare...

Dear Castilian, Rebekah, KinkyOne, and Laurie,
Thank you so much for all your comments and helpful suggestions. It is going to take me awhile to read and digest all that has been brought to my attention, so I'm going to be quiet while I do that. I'll be back to drink of your wisdom when I am ready.... God bless you all, and
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.