• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino My Camino de Madrid

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
Day Zero:
Well, today was a long day zero on the Camino. Arriving in Madrid with just a few minutes sleep (economy seats make poor beds combined with a couple of separate rounds of food service in a seven hour flight), attended a service with a pilgrim blessing at the Royal Parroquial Church of St. James and St. John where I got my first stamp in my pilgrim credential. Then I headed over to the front door of where I used to live in the south end of town and walked about 20 km to Plaza de Castilla to give myself a head start. Oh, and I also ran a bunch of errands, getting a pocket knife, poles, sunscreen, a SIM card and sundry other things I needed. Admittedly, I dropped my backpack off at the hostel before undertaking today's walk, but I think that just goes part way to addressing my lack of sleep/jet lag.

Photos below:
Me at Plaza San Vicente de Paul, 2 (my front door) starting the walk
Crossing the bridge as I head toward the more traditional start to the Camino de Madrid
The Plaza de Santiago where it traditionally starts
The Plaza de Castilla where I ended today's walk and will start again tomorrow morning.
20230605_140319.jpg20230605_144611.jpg

20230605_152419.jpg20230605_171055.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Add me to the list with Nick and the others who are looking forward to your reports. It is great Camino which is not getting the love it deserves and consequentially losing the support of the infrastructure that it definitely needs. A great alternate to a start in SJPdP.

Add me to the list with Nick and the others who are looking forward to your reports. It is great Camino which is not getting the love it deserves and consequentially losing the support of the infrastructure that it definitely needs. A great alternate to a start in SJPdP.
I hope to walk it next year.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Day 1:

I didn't get as much sleep as I had hoped last night. Although I was falling asleep in the early evening, after I had a bite to eat at the Mercado de San Miguel (Madrid's St. Lawrence, although selling prepared food mostly rather than ingredients - a kight tapas sipper there was more wxpensive than most dinners will be, and i lomited myself to thr cheapest offerings) and had a glass of Tinto de Verano (like sangria) on the rooftop bar at the hostel, I found it much more difficult to drift off. It wasn't helped by the others in my room who came in around midnight and, although they were whispering, made enormous amounts of noise with their things for what seemed like an hour.

Surprisingly, although I got out of bed at 7 am today, I was the last to leave the room.

I took the metro to Plaza de Castilla and started to walk from there. It was another km and a half, though, before I saw my first yellow arrow, after the four tall skyscrapers near the Hospital La Paz.

From there I followed the yellow arrows through the suburbs to the suburbs of Montecarmelo where they finally became plentiful and reliable. Motecarmelo is where I stopped for breakfast, about 8 km into the day's walk. I had cafe con lecjlhe and pan con tomate (toast with tomato). The latter is a common Spanish breakfast which, surprisingly, I've never had, always going the croissant or tortilla route. It was good. The tomato is refreshing after a walk.

On the other side of Montecarmelo you cross another highway and then you are finally in the countryside. The wildflowers in this part of the walk were really an outstanding part of the day.

After this bit you start walking next to the train tracks. This is where I saw the horses and sheep that Rosie would love, especially the horses right by the path in patting distance.

For the rest of the walk you walk beside the train tracks or between the train tracks and the highway. But there were still plenty of very nice views. At one point, I stopped in the shade of an underpass to drink some water and took off my shoes and socks to dry my feet and socks. Much more comfortable after that. I've read about others doing so on their Caminos but it has never been something I've done. Will definitely do again.

The Camino passes by Tres Cantos but doesn't actually go through it. So you have to divert off it and cross a bridge if you are staying in Tres Cantos or are stopping for food or water. That point was clearly marked by Mision Emmanuel, where I am staying, with their own painted directions. Once you cross the bridge, you start seeing yellow arrows alongside the Mision signs (red painted crosses and arrows).

The mission is a nice place, very hospitable. It is a donativo (if they accept donations, I have to ask about that). They provide for pilgrims, refugees, and others in need. There is the main building and several outbuildings, one of which us a chapel where they laid down a mattress for my use tonight.

Shower and laundry done, I'm ready to relax a bit.

Photos below:
- First yellow arrows by Hospital La Paz
- Signage gets much better as you enter the suburb of Montecarmelo
- About to leave Montecarmelo, on the other side of the highway just countryside and, toward the horizon, the mountains I think will be in my future a few days from now
- Some of the pretty wildflowers that were a highlight of the day
- Horses by the side of the path, in petting distance, that would have been a highlight for my daughter Rosie
- Even where you are between the railway and the highway the path isn't too bad
- The signage pointing to where you cross the bridge into Tres Cantos, pointed out in red paint by the signs pointing to where I am sleeping tonight

20230606_081713.jpg 20230606_091331.jpg 20230606_095725.jpg 20230606_101135.jpg 20230606_105320.jpg 20230606_122752.jpg 20230606_124346.jpg

Last edited:
I had cafe con leche and pan con tomate (toast with tomato). The latter is a common Spanish breakfast which, surprisingly, I've never had, always going the croissant or tortilla route. It was good. The tomato is refreshing after a walk.
There’s a first time for everything! My options can be a bit limited but pan con tomate (with freshly squeezed orange juice, as I’m not a coffee drinker) has always been my favourite Spanish breakfast, and it always makes me feel as though I am in Andalucía. (On the other hand, I ordered it in a bar on the Primitivo once and received a piece of toast and a whole tomato!)

There’s a first time for everything! My options can be a bit limited but pan con tomate (with freshly squeezed orange juice, as I’m not a coffee drinker) has always been my favourite Spanish breakfast, and it always makes me feel as though I am in Andalucía. (On the other hand, I ordered it in a bar on the Primitivo once and received a piece of toast and a whole tomato!)
I'm not a coffee drinker except on Camino. I go home and stop drinking it right away. But I always get the fresh squeezed orange juice when available.

This is what breakfast today looked like:
20230606_093503.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 2: Tres Cantos to Manzanares el Real
30+ km with some false starts and mistakes, 3.5 more km since I got here going about town

Got up just before 6:00 and what with this abs that was on the road at about 6:30 to 6:45, before anyone else was awake. Which was when I realized my mistake in not asking anyone the night before which path to take to Tres Cantos. I headed out on the continuation of the path I had been on before but wasn't seeing the yellow arrows. So I second guessed myself and tried a couple of other paths that looked better, but they were both dead ends. I headed back to the first path and that was when I saw the marker confirming it led to the main Camino. By which time it was 7:15 and I had added some extra km to the day.

Sunrise was about 6:45 but there was no way of knowing that because it rained all day. I was able to give my hands-free hiking umbrella (it attaches to the shoulder straps and belt of the backpack) a real workout. I could go jnto that in depth, but nit everyone is so interested. I thought I would mostly use it for shade, but not today!

A couple of things that stood out from the trail on the first part of the day:
- There were a lot of bunnies. I must have seen at least 50 in one field alone. Of course, they were pretty much always too fast to capture either my camera.
- I started seeing trail markings with a picture of a cow. (This lasted pretty much all day.) What is that about?, I yjought. I wasn't seeing a lot of live cattle around at the time. Eventually I clued in that I wasn't just walking the Camino, I was also walking one of Spains historic cattle drive routes.

After two or two and a half hours, I made it to Colmenar Viejo, the first town on the day's walk. I visited the church and got a stamp gor my credential, then I started to think about looking for somewhere to have breakfast. A passer by asked if I was walking the Camino; her husband had done three Caminos. We chatted for a bit and she showed me to a recommended place where I had a bocadillo de tortilla (potato omelet sandwich on crusty bread) and a cafe con leche, which had been my breakfast of choice when walking the Camino Frances with Toby in 2016. After that, it was a bit of a challenge to find the Camino again and I had to use my GPS, but once I was on it I was solid. The volunteers who painted the yellow arrows in Colmenar Viejo did an excellent job.

After Colmenar Viejo, there was about 15 more km to my Manzanares el Real. The landscape started to change getting really rocky, and so did the path. Beside the path, I started seeing km after km of dry stone walls (stone walls without any mortar).

Half way to Manzanares there was a nice stone bridge and after that it was just a long slog though the rain and over the rocks to my destination. There was some very nice scenery, I don't dispute. But it has been a very long time since I walked 30 km in a day. I don't think any of my training walks went much over 20 and most were less. And top that off with the rain.

In Manzanares I am staying at Ray and Rosa's place, a donativo a little off the Camino. I had been WhatsApping with them during the later part of the walk and they recommended a place for lunch where I had the menu del dia for €14 (two courses plus dessert, bread and beverage). After that I headed over to the medieval castle. The new castle was built in the 15th century and has been carefully restored. I had another nice chat about pilgrimages with the security guard. At first I was worried because there was a sign saying "no backpacks allowed" and there was no place to check it. But they assured me the rule didn't apply to pilgrims, just reckless kids. I got another credential stamp at the castle. I spent a while touring the castle, then headed over to the supermarket and picked up some chorizo, cheese and ziplock bags to have for the days ahead. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the church it was closed, so I messaged Rosa for a pickup and she took me to her place.

The pilgrims stay in their own lovely cabin. It has everything a pilgrim could need. Supper will be at 8 with conversation afterwards. First order of business is a shower and getting everything sorted. That's done so I can start writing this now. At first I thought I would be the only one here, but she later messaged me that two more are expected. They will be hhe first pilgrims I've seen since the pilgrims blessing in Madrid, on Monday, before I started walking there.

Photos below:
-The first of the mysterious cow markers. There were a number of different types of them, just as there are a number of different types of the Santiago markers.
- Yellow arrows point the way.
- The landscape gets rocky.
- The medieval bridge half way between Colmenar Viejo and Manzanares el Real
- The new 15thC castle in Manzanares el Real
20230607_072839.jpg 20230607_111302.jpg20230607_082535.jpg 20230607_121504.jpg 20230607_154105.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Day 3: Manzanares el Real to Las Dehesas
27+ km with some detours and mistakes, plus some leftover bits of Day 1

I left off yesterday right when I had been told that a couple of other pilgrims were coming to share the cabin with me. They were two Polish guys who had walked from Madrid to Colmenar Viejo only to be unable to find a room there. So they had taken a bus here and will be taking the bus back in the morning. As I mentioned, the are the first pilgrims I've seen since I got my starting stamp in the church in Madrid, and the first English speakers since leaving the hostelin Madrid. They are trying to walk to Santiago (and maybe Finisterre/Muxia) within three weeks. That means they are pulling 35 km days. Not for me! First one of them, it's his first Camino, but he tells me he regularly walks 20+ mile days carrying heavy loads.

Rosa brought in the cena (a light supper of a hearty soup and a salad with a small dessert) and after we ate that they came by for some conversation and advice for our caminos ahead. Consensus was that mine might be the longer Camino but there's would be the tougher one. Rosa would give me a ride back to the Camino at 9 in the morning on her way to work. A bit late of a start for me, but it was supposed to be an easy stage sobit wouldn't need as much time.

I woke up early this morning, so I didn't get to benefit from a sleep in to accompany my late start. It wasn't the Polish guys' fault. They weren't noisy sleepers and I was the first one awake. I had a bit of a panic in the morning thinking I had list my hat but I found it just before 9.

Rosa dropped me off at the ruins of the old castle, gave me some pointers for getting going on the Camino and headed off. I was on my way.

Today was mostly walking west at the foot of (or in the foothills of) the mountains. It usually has really nice views of the mountains but it was raining most of the day again, so not much in the way if views. Occasionally some of the mountains would peek through. I kept trying to catch it with my camera. Today was also a day of dry stone fences around pasture or hunting grounds and rocky terrain and wildflowers. Lots of rushing streams, farm animals beside the path (at one point it went right through the middle of a cow pasture so there were no fences between the cows and me - just what my daughter would love), and storks on church steeples.

Signage (yellow arrows and such) was generally quite good today but there were some significant discrepancies between the arrows and the GPS tracks I had which caused a lot of confusion and I think added about 4 km to the day. By the time I got to the albergue, I was exhausted. By the time I got to the previous town, I was exhausted so I didn't take time to see any of it. Yesterday, I walked a longer distance and still had energy for sightseeing (admittedly, I finished walking three hours later today, so I spent an hour longer walking 3 km less). I remember from previous Caminos that the third day can be a tough one. Hopefully tomorrow will be less slow and tiring. It does have the mountain crossing to look forward to. And the palace at La Granja, so I'd better save some energy for sightseeing. It is only supposed to be 22.5 km. Let's see if I can keep it to that.

Photos below:
- Pretty wildflowers by the side of the road
- Some of the mountains peeking through
- The rocky road we travel
- Storks nest atop a church
20230608_101739.jpg 20230608_102445.jpg 20230608_110027.jpg 20230608_133522.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Signage (yellow arrows and such) was generally quite good today but there were some significant discrepancies between the arrows and the GPS tracks I had which caused a lot of confusion and I think added about 4 km to the day.
Just wondering if you could give a little clarity to why you were confused and why you added about 4 km. Was it because you followed the GPS tracks or because you followed the arrows? Thanks and buen camino.

Just wondering if you could give a little clarity to why you were confused and why you added about 4 km. Was it because you followed the GPS tracks or because you followed the arrows? Thanks and buen camino.
I go into detail in this post. Essentially, I ended up following the longer arrow route after backtracking and unsuccessfully trying to find the GPS route. That was the main one, there were a few other minor times when I found myself on the GPS route, which seemed a bit longer.

I go into detail in this post. Essentially, I ended up following the longer arrow route after backtracking and unsuccessfully trying to find the GPS route. That was the main one, there were a few other minor times when I found myself on the GPS route, which seemed a bit longer.
Thanks and I just noticed you wrote this when I saw the other post. If you like I could copy and paste your post and send it to Buen Camino and see if they can make corrections to their gps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Day 4: Las Dehesas to San Ildefonso
25 km with some mistakes, as always, plus another 4.5 km sightseeing the royal palace and gardens, as well assome leftover bits of Day 3

Being pretty tired when I got to the albergue, I really focused on resting and getting sorted for tomorrow. I had arranged for supper there which was a nice, if somewhat institutional supper for myself and three Spanish folk at 8. We chatted with each other and with the cook, who was local and was happy to be feeding adults instead of hordes of kids. Somehow, what with my communications and all, I didn't put my phone down and go to sleep until 11, a mistake I will try not to make today. Then, at about midnight, a very noisy Spanish family came in. But when they were eventually settled in, I went back to sleep and slept right through until after 6:30.

I got up, packed up, and went down to pick up my picnic breakfast from the cook and made room for it in my pack. He also gave me a coffee before heading out and some cake to go with it. Then he went to see me off and made sure I was on the quickest route back to the Camino, correcting me whenever I was about to make a wrong turn.

It was raining strongly and steadily when I left. I had about a two hour climb up the mountain ahead of me. At first I followed the Camino foot path, which paralleled the road. But it wasn't the best surface to walk in and when it was awash with moving water, I decided to switch the the road. It was, perhaps, a little longer but I was happy with my decision. I never saw any cars; it was smooth; and it wasn't awash with water. After a while though, staying on the road would have meant a huge detour to a viewpoint, so I switched back to the proper Camino path. It wasn't awash but you can see the rocky path I had to climb in the photo below. Eventually it was clear that what I was walking on was a Roman road. I've learned to distrust Roman road Camino sections. They are the hardest on your feet. I'm sure in Roman times it would have been covered with rubble and sand to make a nice walking surface but all that has washed away. If Roman legions had to march down surfaces like that, they would never have arrived in a fit state to stand and fight. There was sometimes a nicer walking surface on a path beside the Roman road but you had to be careful. It could suddenly disappear or wander off away from the Camino route, which followed the Roman road. You climb this to the Fuenfria Pass (Puerto de la Fuenfría), which, at 1796m is the highest point in any Spanish Camino - higher than the Somport or Iraheta passes in the Pyrenees or the Cruz de Ferro or O Cebreiro points. That is also where you cross over from the Madrid autonomous region to Castilla y Leon.

In Castilla y Leon the road surface is immediately once again something much nicer to walk on and it was a very pleasant and enjoyable gradual descent down the mountain through the forests. After a bit it stopped raining and I found a good spot with a nice view to eat that picnic breakfast I had been provided with, noticeably lightening my backpack, sometime after 9.

After about 11 km of descent, the road split: left on to Segovia, right to Valsain (immortalised in the Hemingway novel For Whom the Bell Tolls) and San Ildefonso de La Granja. I took the right and pretty much left behind all the yellow arrows. I think I saw one in the next 7 km. So I was entirely dependent on GPS. I only went down the wrong road once, when I got cocky and didn't check an intersection. But it is a lot slower relying on GPS than relying on arrows. I paused at a bench in the Village of Valsain to make myself a quick lunch of a cheese sandwich with some chorizo, before pressing on the last 3 km to San Ildefonso where my accommodations awaited. A small single room for €18. I arrived shortly before 2.

After dropping off my things there, I headed off to the royal palace. Originally a medieval hunting lodge, the land had been sold to some monks who made it a farm (granja). The first of the Spanish Bourbon kings in the 18thC fell in love with it, bought it back, and constructed a huge palace to serve as the royal residence and home of the Court during the summer hunting season. Then a quick turn in a garden, which became a longer one when I asked Goigle how to get back to my pension and they sent me on a wild goise chase through the gardens to a locked gate. But I eventually made it there for a shower and a rest and to write this.

Photos below:
As you can see, the landscapes in the first half of the day were very different from the landscapes in the second.
- Rocky path up the mountain
- Roman road
- Yellow arrow points the way
- The sun appears
- The royal palace of La Granja
- The royal bedroom
- The palace gardens (x2)

20230609_080629.jpg 20230609_084412.jpg 20230609_090102.jpg20230609_102700.jpg 20230609_154026.jpg 20230609_150745.jpg 20230609_153907.jpg 20230609_154425.jpg

Thanks and I just noticed you wrote this when I saw the other post. If you like I could copy and paste your post and send it to Buen Camino and see if they can make corrections to their gps.Either to show the longer route
That sounds good. Either to show the longer route I took following the arrows, or the shorter one Laurie mentions finding with arrows and a turnoff by La Fonda (that I missed, because my GPS hadn't alerted me to look for arrows there and I wasn't observant enough to notice them) or both.

Day 5: San Ildefonso to Zamarramala
23 km all in, including sightseeing

Once again I got up at around 6:30 and hit the road around 7. My feet were really feeling it from yesterday and I wanted to take it easier today. The plan was to walk the short 12 km to Segovia, get there by 10 or so, then spend the day relaxing and doing some sightseeing before having dinner (the early afternoon meal here in Spain) and then heading to the albergue in Zamarramala, 3 km further on.

The walk to Segovia was pretty straightforward except for one bit where the GPS tracks led me astray, but that didn't set me back too much, maybe 15 minutes, and I was making good time. The terrain and scenery were not particularly noteworthy. It was just a walk. At one point, when I was off track (as misled by the GPS tracks - see above) I was talking to a local and he confirmed that what I was seeing in the sky over the Segovia outskirts was a number of hot air balloons. Apparently, hot air ballooning is quite the weekend pastime here and when the weather is nice you can see 30 or so of them. It wasn't a sunny day and we had about a half dozen.

When I got to Segovia it was time for a light breakfast and I popped into a local supermarket to get myself a litre of yogurt drink and a banana (under €2). Then downtown for the sightseeing.

First order of business was the Roman aqueduct, very impressive and right on the Camino. Then the Cathedral, Spain's last gothic Cathedral. And then the Alcazar (castle). What I especially noticed in the Alcazar was the ceilings of the rooms. Also in the Alcazar is the Spanish Military archives. Of course, most is in boxes lining the shelf but some items were on display. One of them I noticed was a letter from 1980 from an Irish archivist and historian, requesting permission to consult the collection. 40 years later, her letter us an important enough part of the collection to merit display!

After the Alcazar visit it was time to head back uptown for lunch, stopping along the way at a small museum dedicated to Segovia's former Jews and at the Corpus Christi church which had, until the end of the 15th C, been the town's major synagogue. A substantial lunch was had at El Fogón Sefardi, a Sefardi restaurant. After lunch I headed the 3 km out of town where I had my shower, did the laundry, and wrote this. This albergue has no wifi, but it did have a washing machine for pilgrim use, which I appreciated.

Photos below:
- The Roman aqueduct
- The cathedral interior
- The chapel of Santiago
- The Alcazar
- An Alcazar ceiling
- The Church of Spirius Sancti (former medieval synagogue)

20230610_102143.jpg 20230610_110245.jpg 20230610_110433.jpg 20230610_145647.jpg 20230610_115611.jpg 20230610_131413.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day 6: Zamarramala to Los Huertos
Just under 11 km

Well, after all those long days of wet walking it seems my feet are starting to form blisters. So it was a short day today to give them some rest. So I let myself sleep in as much as possible, dawdled in the morning and left shortly before 9. The weather was nice, sunny but not too hot. I headed out of town. One thing became quickly apparent. The landscape has changed dramatically. We are now on the flat plains of the Castilian meseta. Poppies abound. As does, of course, wheat. And while cows are not as visible, the pungent aroma of their manure sometimes is very present.

The route is well marked and took me though one other village before arriving at Los Huertos, today's destination. My intention had been to pause in that village for a rest stop with a drink and a bite to eat but I didn't stop at the first bench I saw and I didn't pass by any other good place to stop and sit before leaving the village. There was a pharmacy in the village but it was closed.

I stopped in the first bit of shade with clear space to sit after leaving the village to drink water and eat some chorizo and cheese. Unfortunately, I think I left my pocket knife there, which I didn't realize until finishing the day's walk. I will have to get another.

It wasn't too far from there to Los Huertos, where I am now. I stopped at the bar for a cafe con con leche and snack and directions to the albergue. I was actually directed to the house of the hospitalera, Ursula, where she was standing outside chatting with her husband. I sat in the shade with him while she prepared the albergue. Which brings me to where we are now.

Photos below:
- poppies
- plains
- more plains
- Even more plains
- Los Huertos
20230611_095737.jpg 20230611_092010.jpg 20230611_095821.jpg 20230611_105323.jpg 20230611_113111.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You climb this to the Fuenfria Pass (Puerto de la Fuenfría), which, at 1796m is the highest point in any Spanish Camino
I'm a bit surprised, but you're right !!

Even the secondary Camino routes through Andorra and over the Pyrenees southward from Saint-Gaudens or through Puigcerdà are not so high on their Spanish portions.

'You climb this to the Fuenfria Pass (Puerto de la Fuenfría), which, at 1796m is the highest point in any Spanish Camino'
I'm a bit surprised, but you're right !!

Even the secondary Camino routes through Andorra and over the Pyrenees southward from Saint-Gaudens or through Puigcerdà are not so high on their Spanish portions.
Well I'm not sure how official it is, but don't forget the Complutense (which isn't mentioned much on this forum). You can see on the attached screenshot from Mapy.cz that it goes to about 2030m just before La Granja, runnng parallel to the Camino de Madrid, but a few km to the north

Attachments

• Complutense high point.png
    Complutense high point.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
I will write more later. I'm currently sitting outside the Bar Las Murallas. Me and a Spanish peregrina have been waiting close to 4 hours for anyone in Coca to be able to produce the keys to the albergue. There are 4 or 5 sets but all of them appear to be AWOL.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I was in Coca, several of the keys had just been left by peregrinos on the table in the front hall of the albergue, which was easy for the people leaving but hard for the people arriving! Glad you got them!

The people in Bar Murallas were really nice - even though they were swamped lafter a late Sunday afternoon lunch. But, they had stopped serving food. So they suggested I go instead to a tapas bar, Autenticos, that is sort of kitty corner to the castle...and attached to a gift shop/store. There I had some of the best tapas of the entire 6 week trip! Very friendly young woman working the bar.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Day 8: Santa Maria la Real de Nieva
28.5 km not including a return trip to the castle (after the trip to the castle and all of the wanderings looking for the keys, 31.73 km)

I'm sitting on the porch outside the albergue, waiting for someone with the key. There is a pilgrim from Madrid sitting here, too. I've been waiting for about an hour and a quarter now. We are waiting for the keys.

I was sitting there. I'm now sitting at the entrance to the castle, waiting to enter. We still haven't got the keys to the albergue. There are three or four places they are supposed to be but only one is open and they don't have them. They sent me looking for them in the mailbox, but the mailbox is inside. We have been sent around everywhere. We are hoping to see the castle while we wait for things to sort out. I'm letting her do most of the talking because she is from Madrid, and so speaks much better Spanish than me.

Now I'm lying down in the albergue. It took about 3-4 hours for the keys to emerge. I was being stoic about it, but my fellow peregrina was very impatient. I did visit the castle while we were waiting so all the wait really meant for me was that I was delayed in doing laundry. I trust it will dry in time.

But back to the beginning of the day, in Hostal Avanto, about 2 km before Santa Maria. I left at about 7 to start my day's walk. The walk out if Santa Maria took me past its mid-19thC bullring. The day started with flat plains and I thought it would continue that way but I was wrong. There was a lot of pine forest. In fact, I would say that pine forest probably made up the majority of the day. When I first entered the forest I went past the grandfather of Spanish pine trees in this region, Pino Morgas, over 350 years old. What I found most unusual about this tree is the way it widened at the top instead of narrowing, not something I am used to in pine trees. Many of these trees were being harvested for resin and, at one point, I came across the workers who were doing the harvesting, putting in the buckets and slicing the parallel lines above.

Also fun during the day were some animal encounters. Once again I came across some storks hunting on the ground. And at one point there was a flock of sheep completely filling the path. I made sure to get a video while I walked through the flock, which I know my daughter will love. At first it seemed they were going to follow me but they quickly lost interest.

In the middle of the day, the route leads through the town of Nava de la Asunción. I stopped there for a breakfast of cafe con leche and a small piece of tortilla. She asked if I wanted a breakfast coffee or a regular. Since this was breakfast, I said breakfast. It was huge! Afterwards, I stopped at the Hyper Bazar and picked up another pocket knife and pen. And then there was a supermarket on the way out of town and I had completely used up my food stocks so I thought it prudent to go in and refresh them. So I ended up spending a lot more time there than I thought I would but it was worth it to get some things I had been needing. One thing I didn't do there was see the 18thC church. I had assumed that the Camino would take me by it and by the time I realized it hadn't I was loathe to retrace my steps.

The yellow arrows I followed into Coca took a roundabout route, rather than the more direct path that the GPS tracks showed, but they took me closer to the albergue. On the albergue doors, a number of places were listed where the key could be had. I went to Bar Restaurante Las Muralles, where others reported having got the keys. And they seemed ready to give them to me. I thought I would have lunch first but it was 1:15 and lunch wasn't served until 2. So I wandered over to the gothic mudejar (mudejar is Moorish architects working in Christian Spain) castle. I could view the exterior but the interior wouldn't open until 4:30. So I headed back to Las Muralles, had my lunch, paid and registered for the albergue keys, and then they realized they didn't have them. They sent me yo the albergue where they assured me that the keys would be in the mailbox which I could open. Unfortunately, the mailbox is in the locked albergue. I called the albergue phone number and was assured that someone would be along with the keys. Which is more or less where I started this. Now, as I said, I am lying down in the albergue, having wandered all over town and visited the castle in the meantime.

Photos below:
- Bullring of Santa María la Real de Nieva
- Pino Morgas
- Cute km marker (I'm taking a longer route)
- Big sky
- Memorial to Renée Goscinny and Albert Uderzo whose Asterix in Huspania immortalised the city if Coca (Cauca in Roman times)
- Coca Castle

20230613_072346.jpg 20230613_080024.jpg 20230613_110807.jpg 20230613_111204.jpg 20230613_131841.jpg 20230613_132011.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@David Tallan En route to Alcazaren, about 7 kms from Coca, you will come across the small village of Villeguillo with one bar - at least that was the case in 2018 - hopefully open. The owner Kiko greeted us warmly and we ordered our coffee - we had already had breakfast. He asked if we wanted anything to eat. Though we didn’t need to, we ordered a tortilla – this guy doesn’t get a lot of passing trade. A few minutes later he was back with our coffees and, soon after, one of the best ham and cheese tortillas I’ve tasted in Spain or anywhere else. And some fun Spanglish conversation about the various, though not many, peregrinos who had passed through recently 😎

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed in a small hotel about 3 feet from the Iglesia de Santiago. My journal tells me it was Hotel Roma. Perfectly fine and very central, next to the pretty plaza mayor. When I was there, the plaza had been “taken over” by the Occupy movement. It was very interesting because the “occupiers” were very polite and interested in having a civil discussion. But I’m sure they are long gone. It’s a very nice plaza.

Does anyone have recommendations for where to stay in Valladolid?
I stayed here a couple of nights at €43 per night via their website. Small room but very clean and modern.

After getting my blister treated, long story, I decided to stay another two nights to allow my foot to heal and so I moved to a cheaper AirBnB.

Hostel and current AirBnB are both very central to everything.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Day 9: Coca to Alcazarén
26 km plus a bit more wandering around the village

Laura (the pilgrim from Madrid) and I had a visit from a local fellow, Carlos, yesterday. I'm not sure if he likes to chat with all pilgrims, or especially the lady ones. He gave each of us three stones, or bits of glass/plastic: one for health, one for prosperity, and one for luck. There was also a rose for Laura. And a long conversation until supper time (after 8) during which he showed us pictures of his art on his phone. We had our own small suppers in the albergue, and then it was bedtime (for me at least). I try to be ready for sleep by 10.

This morning I was out the door and dropped off the key at Bar Muralles at 7:30. Once again, today's walk had a lot of sandy paths through forests, poppies, and fields (although there seemed to be a variety of crops today, not just grains). There weren't as many animal encounters today, just the occasional guard dog, rabbit dashing across the road (and one large rabbit warren), and storks. There was a lot of bird song, joined by frogs when I crossed the river. I've been hearing cuckoo birds the last few mornings.

It was 6.7 km to Villeguillo the only intermediate village on the route today and I stopped there for breakfast: cafe con leche and a couple of pinchos of tortilla. Then it was supposed to be 17.3 km to Alcazarén. I listened to some Camino-related podcasts today to help pass the time while walking because, to be frank, the pine forests are starting to get a bit monotonous and it is nice you have some Camino conversation for company. I think I am getting more sandy paths through pine forests tomorrow.

Photos below:
- From the bridge over Rio Voltoya
- More of those strangely shaped pine trees as I walk by a farmer's fields
- Villeguillo in the distance
- A new kind of Camino marker
- Camino sundial
- Church of Santiago in Alcazarén

20230614_075137.jpg 20230614_083818.jpg 20230614_084926.jpg 20230614_100517.jpg 20230614_135653.jpg20230614_140451.jpg

I find it interesting that the photos I share on Instagram tend to be different than the ones I share on the Camino Forum or Facebook. For the latter, I tend to pick photos that will illustrate the story of my journey. For the former I am looking for photos that will stand on their own with less context.

Day 2: Tres Cantos to Manzanares el Real
30+ km with some false starts and mistakes, 3.5 more km since I got here going about town

Got up just before 6:00 and what with this abs that was on the road at about 6:30 to 6:45, before anyone else was awake. Which was when I realized my mistake in not asking anyone the night before which path to take to Tres Cantos. I headed out on the continuation of the path I had been on before but wasn't seeing the yellow arrows. So I second guessed myself and tried a couple of other paths that looked better, but they were both dead ends. I headed back to the first path and that was when I saw the marker confirming it led to the main Camino. By which time it was 7:15 and I had added some extra km to the day.

Sunrise was about 6:45 but there was no way of knowing that because it rained all day. I was able to give my hands-free hiking umbrella (it attaches to the shoulder straps and belt of the backpack) a real workout. I could go jnto that in depth, but nit everyone is so interested. I thought I would mostly use it for shade, but not today!

A couple of things that stood out from the trail on the first part of the day:
- There were a lot of bunnies. I must have seen at least 50 in one field alone. Of course, they were pretty much always too fast to capture either my camera.
- I started seeing trail markings with a picture of a cow. (This lasted pretty much all day.) What is that about?, I yjought. I wasn't seeing a lot of live cattle around at the time. Eventually I clued in that I wasn't just walking the Camino, I was also walking one of Spains historic cattle drive routes.

After two or two and a half hours, I made it to Colmenar Viejo, the first town on the day's walk. I visited the church and got a stamp gor my credential, then I started to think about looking for somewhere to have breakfast. A passer by asked if I was walking the Camino; her husband had done three Caminos. We chatted for a bit and she showed me to a recommended place where I had a bocadillo de tortilla (potato omelet sandwich on crusty bread) and a cafe con leche, which had been my breakfast of choice when walking the Camino Frances with Toby in 2016. After that, it was a bit of a challenge to find the Camino again and I had to use my GPS, but once I was on it I was solid. The volunteers who painted the yellow arrows in Colmenar Viejo did an excellent job.

After Colmenar Viejo, there was about 15 more km to my Manzanares el Real. The landscape started to change getting really rocky, and so did the path. Beside the path, I started seeing km after km of dry stone walls (stone walls without any mortar).

Half way to Manzanares there was a nice stone bridge and after that it was just a long slog though the rain and over the rocks to my destination. There was some very nice scenery, I don't dispute. But it has been a very long time since I walked 30 km in a day. I don't think any of my training walks went much over 20 and most were less. And top that off with the rain.

In Manzanares I am staying at Ray and Rosa's place, a donativo a little off the Camino. I had been WhatsApping with them during the later part of the walk and they recommended a place for lunch where I had the menu del dia for €14 (two courses plus dessert, bread and beverage). After that I headed over to the medieval castle. The new castle was built in the 15th century and has been carefully restored. I had another nice chat about pilgrimages with the security guard. At first I was worried because there was a sign saying "no backpacks allowed" and there was no place to check it. But they assured me the rule didn't apply to pilgrims, just reckless kids. I got another credential stamp at the castle. I spent a while touring the castle, then headed over to the supermarket and picked up some chorizo, cheese and ziplock bags to have for the days ahead. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the church it was closed, so I messaged Rosa for a pickup and she took me to her place.

The pilgrims stay in their own lovely cabin. It has everything a pilgrim could need. Supper will be at 8 with conversation afterwards. First order of business is a shower and getting everything sorted. That's done so I can start writing this now. At first I thought I would be the only one here, but she later messaged me that two more are expected. They will be hhe first pilgrims I've seen since the pilgrims blessing in Madrid, on Monday, before I started walking there.

Photos below:
-The first of the mysterious cow markers. There were a number of different types of them, just as there are a number of different types of the Santiago markers.
- Yellow arrows point the way.
- The landscape gets rocky.
- The medieval bridge half way between Colmenar Viejo and Manzanares el Real
- The new 15thC castle in Manzanares el Real
View attachment 148839 View attachment 148841View attachment 148840 View attachment 148842 View attachment 148843
Do you remember the name of the restaurant Ray y Rosa recommended?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Day 10: Alcazarén to Puente Duero
27 km

Got up and left earlier today, by 6:30 because it was forecast to be quite hot today (my phone is saying it is 28° now at 4:00) but it was quite cool when I left. The eastern sky was showing some nice colours but the sun hadn't risen yet. I passed some interesting looming bodegas on the way out of town. Not quite the hobbit holes I remember from the Camino Frances, but not too far off.

Today's landscapes were very similar to the past days': large sections of pine forest, farmers' fields, cows and sheep, lots of wildflowers, the occasional river crossing. I'm beginning to think poppies are the local equivalent of dandelions - leave any place unattended and they take over. I did see some sunflowers today, and when I was walking through the forest, a couple of times I saw deer bounding though the forest, of course never with enough time to get a photo or video.

But that aside, in many ways the walk today felt like I was just putting in the miles (or kms). It was about 16 km before the first village, but I found some picnic tables in the shade after 11 km for a rest and a refreshment break (water and a cheese sandwich). Then it was 5 km on to the village of Valdestillas, where I had a cafe con leche.

I got a call from Laura who said that the albergue in Puente Duero didn't open until 2, so when I got to the town before that, I stopped at a local restaurant on the way for a menu del dia (€12 for a first plate of paella, a second plate of meatballs in sauce with fries, a dessert, bread and beverage - I've never had paella with hard-boiled eggs or olives before). Laura and Arturo, the hospitalero were sitting outside the albergue when I got there. This albergue is run by the local association from Valladolid and Albert had come over from there. He was waiting for his relief hospitalero, an Italian. In the meantime, he was very hospitable. He offered me coffee and, when I refused, orujo, which I tried. This is a very old school albergue, he said, and they don't want anyone using their phones to make calls inside. (They also dont have wifi.) I notice that they also have Gregorian chants playing as background music.

After cleaning what needs cleaning, I am lying down and resting. I don't have the energy to check out Puente Duero. Tomorrow will be a short day to Valladolid and I can play the tourist there. The next day will also be short, but I am awaiting confirmation of my reservation there, which I tried to make via a web form. If I don't get confirmation by tomorrow morning I will try and call

Photos below:
- Sunrise over the fields
- St. James (by the picnic tables where I rested and refreshed)
- Pilgrim monument
- Flat land means big sky
- Walking by the highway, through the flowers

20230615_064657.jpg 20230615_085035.jpg 20230615_093155.jpg20230615_094827.jpg 20230615_121719.jpg

. I don't have the energy to check out Puente Duero.
Don’t mean to be negative about Puente Duero, but I don’t think there is a whole lot to see or do there anyway! I don’t know what the history is, but it struck me years ago as essentially a bedroom community with not much left of whatever organic historic development it had experienced. There was an ATM, though, which was much appreciated.

Rest up, because Vallodolid is a horse of a different color. 😁

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't see a post for Day 7 above. I don't know what happened. Anyways, stepping back in time, here it is:
Day 7: Los Huertos to Santa Maria la Real de Nieva
25 km including the 2 back to the hostal, which will also be added to tomorrow's distance

"And on the seventh day He rested."

I know today says Day 7, but yesterday was really the seventh day, considering the 20 km I walked on Day 0. So under 11 km yesterday and an early bedtime and over 9 hours of sleep before I headed out this morning at about 7 am.

I stopped (and found a little geocache) at a little Ermita out of town. The Ermita was locked up but you could get a glimpse of the fancy altarpiece through a tiny window in the door.

I thought it would be mostly flat wheat fields today, like yesterday, but there were a few things, beyond some spectacular skyscapes, to break up the day. There were a few kms walked along the Camino Verde, a former railway line where they took away the rails and ties and replaced it with a leisure path for cyclists and bicyclists. Because it used to be a rail line, it was very flat and straight. There was a forest beside it for much of the way where the trees had also been planted in straight, even rows.

A little bit further on, the Camino passes through pine forest being harvested for resin. Then it was back to flat fields for a while before arriving in the day's first village, Añe. There was supposed to be an open bar there, but the bar was closed, possibly for renovations according to the sign. So I sat in the shade in the square, took off my shoes and socks, and finished my chorizo and cheese for breakfast, accompanied by some water.

Then it was back to the road. I crossed a nice river and saw some nice storks. I passed through another pine woods (unharvested). Then there was a lot of walking though wheat fields. At one point I checked my phone to discover I had missed or misunderstood a Camino marker and wandered off on a non-Camino trail. At first I was going to turn around and go back, but it didn't take me too long to figure out it would be faster just to press forward as the track I was on would eventually merge with the Camino. Shortly after that I arrived at the second village of the day, Pinilla Ambroz. There was no bar here, either, but there was a water fountain (three actually) so I stopped for a rest and a drinking and refilling of water and an airing of feet and socks.

Then it was on through the final five or six km of meseta to the day's destination, Santa Maria la Real de Nieva. I stopped at a pharmacy to pick up some better bandages for my toes. The main sight, however, is the wonderful Romanesque cloister with the sculpted capitals. There was much taking of photos, which can be found here. Information about the cloister can be found here.

The travel day ended with a menu del dia dinner in Santa Maria, followed by the 2 km walk back to the hostal (hotel) as there is no albergue in this town.

Photos below:
- Camino Verde
- Resin tree
- Stork
- Fields of wheat
- Santa Maria la Real de Nieva
20230612_074005.jpg 20230612_083751.jpg 20230612_095916.jpg 20230612_105440.jpg 20230612_123813.jpg

Don’t mean to be negative about Puente Duero, but I don’t think there is a whole lot to see or do there anyway! I don’t know what the history is, but it struck me years ago as essentially a bedroom community with not much left of whatever organic historic development it had experienced. There was an ATM, though, which was much appreciated.

Rest up, because Vallodolid is a horse of a different color. 😁
I figure I can probably find an ATM in Valladolid. Anything you would recommend seeing in Valladolid? I'd been to Segovia before (albeit 33 years ago) but I dont think I've ever been to Valladolid.

I figure I can probably find an ATM in Valladolid. Anything you would recommend seeing in Valladolid? I'd been to Segovia before (albeit 33 years ago) but I dont think I've ever been to Valladolid.
The Plaza Mayor is great, the Sculpture Museum is great (if you’re not into museums, at least go gaze at the plateresque facade of the monastery where it is located), and Cervantes’ home is interesting. That all adds up to a pretty good touring day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi David,
I plan to walk the camino de Madrid next year and am not usually calling ahead for albergues. Is it possible to walk without booking ahead?
Thanks and Buen camino!
Anik

They have built a lot of temporary seating in one of the squares and so I think that there is a biggish event on this weekend. I haven't asked what it is yet but the run a Tapas competition in June and then National finals later in the year and so it MIGHT be that.

I've not ranted much about this -- but I do seriously think that the historic Madrid Way after Medina de Rioseco must be > Villabrágima > Tordehumos > Villagarcía de Campos > Villanueva de los Caballeros > San Pedro de Lacarce > Sureste > VDLP¨> etc.

There is a very beautiful shrine to Santiago between Medina and San Pedro ; Villabrágima and Villagarcía de Campos are gorgeous places, and the hiking is easy ; San Pedro de Lacarce is one of the best pilgrim pueblos in existence -- but really, bottom line, that route makes perfect sense, whereas the stark, sundrenched trudge north from Medina between empty fields simply does not.

Hi David,
I plan to walk the camino de Madrid next year and am not usually calling ahead for albergues. Is it possible to walk without booking ahead?
Thanks and Buen camino!
Anik
I think it might be possible but it would certainly be more difficult. Think of it less like booking ahead and more like giving them a heads up that someone is coming. It isn't so much about securing a place in a crowded albergue as much as it is about making sure someone will be there to give you the key/entry code and knows to get the place ready. They don't necessarily get someone every day so they aren't always sitting around waiting for pilgrims. Think of yourself as their guest. You don't want to show up unexpected.

I think it might be possible but it would certainly be more difficult. Think of it less like booking ahead and more like giving them a heads up that someone is coming. It isn't so much about securing a place in a crowded albergue as much as it is about making sure someone will be there to give you the key/entry code and knows to get the place ready. They don't necessarily get someone every day so they aren't always sitting around waiting for pilgrims. Think of yourself as their guest. You don't want to show up unexpected.
That said, in some cases it may not be possible to contact them in advance. Case in point, tomorrow. I had been planning to stay in Simancas, but I just found out that the place I was hoping to reserve never got back to me because they are full, as seem to be the other places there. So it is another 7 km to Ciguñuela where there is an albergue. But the only contact info for the albergue is the Ayuntamiento (town hall) which is only open once a week (Thursdays) for a few hours. So I will have to show up at the bar looking for the keys and hoping for the best.

I'm not a coffee drinker except on Camino. I go home and stop drinking it right away. But I always get the fresh squeezed orange juice when available.

This is what breakfast today looked like:
View attachment 148793
I miss the tostada and tomate breakfasts. I’m allergic to egg yolks so could not have the tortilla. They bread looks soooo good! 👍

I miss the tostada and tomate breakfasts. I’m allergic to egg yolks so could not have the tortilla. They bread looks soooo good! 👍
I'm the opposite, it's the wheat and so bread that harms me -- but I don't care, sometimes tostada, tomate, and olive oil is 100% better than the cramps are bad !!

So I will have to show up at the bar looking for the keys and hoping for the best.
You should be fine, David, the bar El Cazador seems to be always busy, and the bar food is pretty good, even the 5€ hamburger. I had the feeling very few pilgrims stay in the town. FYI there are clothes lines behind the building — just go through the community room/kitchen on the first floor and out the back door.

Are you planning to tour the church in Wamba on Sunday morning? If you arrive in time for a coffee before the 11:00 tour, the bar El Rincón de Wamba is the perfect place!

You should be fine, David, the bar El Cazador seems to be always busy, and the bar food is pretty good, even the 5€ hamburger. I had the feeling very few pilgrims stay in the town. FYI there are clothes lines behind the building — just go through the community room/kitchen on the first floor and out the back door.

Are you planning to tour the church in Wamba on Sunday morning? If you arrive in time for a coffee before the 11:00 tour, the bar El Rincón de Wamba is the perfect place!
I am definitely planning on touring Wamba! Thanks for the hint about the bar [why on earth was "bar" just autocorrected to "Bae"?]. I was a bit worried because when I went through Simancas after 9 this morning not a single bar was open. I was worried it would be the same tomorrow on a Sunday.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I heard there is a washing machine in Peñaflor de Hornija. Is that correct? If so, I will hold off on laundry until tomorrow. If not, I will hand wash some today. (I never trust my handwriting to really clean things, so I will machine wash when possible. But I am loving how forgiving merino tee shirts are and how they seem to refuse to pick up a scent, especially compared to the technical shirts I was wearing on previous Caminos.)

Day 12: Valladolid to Ciguñuela
20 km

Today was a full 30 km walking day but it feels more like a rest day because I got here around 11 and find myself with nothing to do but rest all afternoon and evening.

I left the Air B&B nice and early at 6 am because I had got everything ready the night before. It was still pretty dark when I hit the city streets. There were few people up and about, mostly couples and small groups dressed to go out, people who I assume hadn't made it home yet from the night before. There were very few cars. As I was walking through the city it gradually got lighter.

I asked my mapping application, Organic Maps (the successor to Maps.me) to plot me a route to Simancas and it gave me a different route than the Camino de Madrid GPS tracks, along the north side of the river, rather than proceeding well south of the river. It looked a bit more direct, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The 3 or 4 km or so of the walk was through city streets, then about 6 km was by the river, much of it through parks, then for the last 3 or 4 km it was though fields and/or beside a highway.

Simancas was a bit of a disappointment. It was a nice enough looking town, with a nice church and castle. But absolutely nothing was open. Not the church. Not the castle. Not even a bar or cafe. I had a little rest and drink, refilled my water bottle, and headed out to Ciguñuela.

The route to Ciguñuela was pretty enough through rolling fields. Along the Way there were a number of metal pilgrim silhouettes, reminding you that you are on the Camino. About half way, there was a nice little bench by one of these, along with a pilgrim marker where I had a little rest and another drink.

I got to Ciguñuela at about 11. I stopped in the first bar I saw for some breakfast. I ordered a large cafe con leche and one of what looked like a large churro. My mistake. It was actually a large pork fat thing, which came cut up into small pieces with bread. I ate it. I left with an ice cream bar which seemed like a good idea on a hot, sunny day. I headed to the church, which was closed, and then to the albergue, which looked really cool but had no instructions on the door about how to get inside. I figured I'd sit in front of it until lunchtime. If no one helped, I'd go back to the bar where I'd heard the keys might be and ask there. It wasn't long before a young man in a car pulled up and told me to go down to #20 on the street I was on and get the keys there. Unfortunately, the lady at #20 said she didn't have them and pointed me to #24, where there would be a gentleman with them. I was on my way to follow those instructions when a nice older man intervened. He said I could get the keys from #24 but it would be easier to get them from the bar and offered to walk me there. The fellow in the bar seemed a bit surprised I wasn't heading on to Peñaflor de Hornija. I think he thought me a bit of a wimp for stopping so early in the day, but gave me they keys and a stamp for €6.

I headed back here to the albergue, stopping only at the local shop to pick up some bread and fruit in case foid is as unavailable en route tomorrow (Sunday) as it was today. At the albergue, I got myself cleaned and sorted and rested a bit. Now I am off to lunch in the bar and will finish and post this after lunch.

Sitting in the bar. Finished a nice lunch but now it is raining so I will perhaps wait for that to stop before heading back to the albergue. In the meantime, I will post this.

Photos below:
- Walking out of Valladolid
- The castle in Simancas
- Rest stop on the Camino
- A Camino sign
- Not churros
- The door of the albergue

20230617_071448.jpg 20230617_092655.jpg 20230617_102920.jpg 20230617_105335.jpg 20230617_112059.jpg 20230617_114047.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day 12: Valladolid to Ciguñuela
David, I see an “Albergue Turístico” sign outside the albergue. When I was there, there was a village social center on the first floor. I remember it very well, because there was a group of local women doing a lot of baking there. They were going to sell their products to raise money for the legal defense of a teacher whom they were sure had been wrongly accused of something bad.

I assumed it was a municipal albergue when I was there - not that it matters, but I’m wondering if the social center is still there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David, I see an “Albergue Turístico” sign outside the albergue. When I was there, there was a village social center on the first floor. I remember it very well, because there was a group of local women doing a lot of baking there. They were going to sell their products to raise money for the legal defense of a teacher whom they were sure had been wrongly accused of something bad.

I assumed it was a municipal albergue when I was there - not that it matters, but I’m wondering if the social center is still there.
It does seem to be there and the price list posted includes prices for renting the ground floor space as well as accommodations (which have a pilgrim price and a non-pilgrim price). That said, the albergue is listed in the Valladolid association's pamphlet of association albergyes, so I assume it is, to some extent, an association albergue. And at €6 a night it is priced like an association/municipal albergue (although I noticed there is also a donativo box in the albergue.

Ah yes, the fatty things — they’re called torreznos, and they seem to be a staple in bars all along the Madrid (had never seen them before). I never got up the nerve to try them, now I’m glad I didn’t!

David, did the man in the bar give you a set of paper sheet/pillow case? When I got to the Albergue and saw the donation box, I realized the 6€ I handed over at the bar might have been for the sheets (I’ve paid that for a set like that on the Frances). I didn’t seek clarification, but I put 10€ in the donation box at the Albergue just in case.

The sheet wouldn’t stay on the mattress, so I gave up on it. But as someone in another thread suggested, the pillow case has some practical uses.😊

There was a children’s birthday party in the community space downstairs when I was there, I think the whole town attended.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah yes, the fatty things — they’re called torreznos, and they seem to be a staple in bars all along the Madrid (had never seen them before). I never got up the nerve to try them, now I’m glad I didn’t!

David, did the man in the bar give you a set of paper sheet/pillow case? When I got to the Albergue and saw the donation box, I realized the 6€ I handed over at the bar might have been for the sheets (I’ve paid that for a set like that on the Frances). I didn’t seek clarification, but I put 10€ in the donation box at the Albergue just in case.

The sheet wouldn’t stay on the mattress, so I gave up on it. But as someone in another thread suggested, the pillow case has some practical uses.😊

There was a children’s birthday party in the community space downstairs when I was there, I think the whole town attended.
I got the disposable sheets and had the same experience that it wasn't even close to fitting. I also saved the pillowcase after reading that thread. The pamphlet I got from Arturo in Puente Duero listing all the albergues lists this one as a €6 albergue rather than a donativo, for what it's worth.

I just had coffee at the bar here in Wamba before touring the church. Tje coffee was good, but there was no signal for my phone in the bar. I asked what was available for breakfast but all they had was the little cakes wrapped in plastic. Later on, the torreznos made an appearance on the bar counter, but I wasn't ready to have them two days in a row.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 13: Ciguñuela to Peñaflor de Hornija
17.64 km

Today was a relatively restful day, too. I got a nice sleep in and left the albergue at 7. As it turns out, it seems as though I wasn't the only one in the albergue. There was someone else spending the night, but he was staying in the room(s) that are off limits to guests. I say he, because I had a brief glimpse of a man who came into the albergue and left, who wasn't very communicative. I assume the person who came back and stayed the night was the same person. In any case, I was out the door and gone before he got up.

Today's walk took me though mostly flat plains where they were farming cereal crops and wind. Yesterday, someone commented on my photo of Cervantes' House asking if I had seen windmills. I hadn't as of yesterday, but today I saw plenty (or, at least, wind turbines, their modern successors). And of course, the usual wildflowers, bunnies, etc.

I got to Wamba at about 8:40, with plenty of time to kill before the church opened to visitors at 11:00. When I arrived the bar was closed, so I headed on over to the church and sat in front of it, using up data on my phone, until about 9:30 when I wandered back to the bar which was just opening. I asked what they had for breakfast and the answer was not much, just coffee and some small packaged cakes. So that's what I had. Later I saw some torreznos (those fried pork fat things I had yesterday) on the counter, but I didn't feel like tackling those two days in a row. At about 10:30 I headed back to the church.

There were now several people waiting and a tour bus had parked nearby. Soon the church doors opened and the guide came out with the group from the tour bus. They headed to the western facade of the church and we were invited to follow them. That was where their tour was ending and ours was beginning. I was invited to leave my backpack and poles in the church.

After she said goodbye to the tour group, the guide let us into the church. Tickets for entry and tour were sold (as a pilgrim, I didn't need one). The tour was in Spanish, and her Spanish was fairly rapid for me, but I certainly got the gist of what she was saying if not every detail. The church was built by the Visigothic kings in the 10th C for and with monks who had come up from Muslim Spain (mozarabes). There had been a large monastery attached, which at one point had occupied the whole plaza.Originally it had been a smaller church and the apse and transept remain from that original Visigothic/Mozarabic church. The horseshoe arches are very typical of that style. In the 12th C the church was handed over to the Order of St. John the Hospitaller. The nave of the church is from that time and is of a late Romanesque style. In the apse and one of the chapels, Mozarabic and Gothic frescos have been rediscovered. Off the cloister/courtyard is an ossuary, one of the largest in Spain, although it is only a fraction of its former size, with many bones having been removed for research and teaching over the centuries. The tour took about half an hour and after that I headed off to Peñaflor de Hornija.

The landscape after the break was much like the landscape before, with the exception that there were a couple of deep valleys that just suddenly appear in the landscape, one of which was just before Peñaflor. So it was quite the climb into the town. There was a phone number in the door, with a note not to call before 2:00. It was a bit after 1:00. So I went to look at the churches and havesome lunch. There are two main churches. One, next to the albergue, is in ruins with only the walls remaining. The other is in active use, and it clearly was being used when I got there, with a mass in progress. I decided not to go in and try and play tourist during the service. Instead, I looked for lunch.

There are two bars in Peñaflor. The first I tried looked good but didn't serve lunch, just bar snacks (rations, like a larger portion of tapas). The other served lunch but suggested I order right away, before mass let out. And I soon could see why as the bar was flooded with people shortly thereafter. First it was the kids and teenagers who headed immediately to where they could get ice cream or chips, obviously an after-mass treat. Then the adults started coming in. Before my first plate arrived, the place was hopping. By the time I left, it was packed, as were all the tables outside in the Plaza. People of all ages, from toddlers (or younger) to seniors. It was clearly the social centre of the village. By this time, of course, the church was locked up tight.

So I headed back to the albergue and called the hospitalera, it being after 2. She said she is also expecting 4 bicigrinos, who called yesterday, but as first to arrive I could have my choice of beds. I picked a nice bed (one of two non-bunk beds, the one with an outlet and light). Then I set about doing laundry. Unfortunately, the washer here is broken so it was handwash again and hope for the best. After laundry and shower, I took to my phone, only to discover that not only is there no wifi (expected) there is no phone signal (unexpected) so I wrote this, which doesn't require signal and then I will have to leave the albergue to try and post it. I say "try" because lack of signal is something I've noticed throughout this village. Worst case scenario, it waits until tomorrow.

Another thing I've been doing, that doesn't require connection, is planning out the rest of my Camino. Normally I love to plan but hate to commit to the plan. But this plan is looking like it will need commitment, at least at the end. It currently has me arriving in Santiago July 25th. If that's going to be the case, I think I am going to need to reserve soon. At least it isn't a holy year.

Here's what it is looking like:
19 days Camino de Madrid June 6 - June 24
3 days Camino Frances June 25 - 27
(El Burgo Ranero, Mansilla de las Mulas, Leon)
6 days Camino del Salvador June 28 - July 3 ( July 4 with rest day in Oviedo)
11 days Camino Primitivo July 5 - July 16
3 days Camino Frances July 17-19
5 days Camino Finisterre/Muxia July 24
Back in Santiago July 25, St. James Day

Total: 42 days to Santiago, 43 with a rest day in Ovideo, + 5 to and along the coast and 1 back to Santiago

More immediately tomorrow I am walking to Santa Espina where I will stay the night and am hoping to catch a taxi to visit Urueña. Urueña has been described as follows: "A walled town with 189 residents, but 12 Bookstores and 5 museums. Not to mention walls, history back to Roman times, and the Romanesque Ermita Nuestra Señora de la Anunciada, a beautiful example of Lombard Romanesque." You can see why it would attract me. Unfortunately, it will be Monday when the museums are closed, but the Music Museum has agreed to open for me.

Photos below:
- Wind farm
- Mozarabic transept (Wamba)
- Romanesque nave (Wamba)
- Ossuary (Wamba)
- Heading into Peñaflor de Hornija

20230618_071544.jpg 20230618_104912.jpg 20230618_105022.jpg20230618_111341.jpg 20230618_125932.jpg

David, I forgot to mention the WIFI — the building across from the albergue is some sort of communications building, and I was sometimes able to pick up a signal standing in front of or near that building.
Maybe this will help someone coming later…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yea, there is wifi around almost the whole village. Y’l see wifi routers at the outside of some buidings with a wifi signal posted at it. The wifi password, if I remember correctly, you will find inside the albergue next to the door outside.

I was just going to say the same thing Laurie said! There is a little wall kitty corner to the front door where I was able to sit and use the wifi from across the street - and sometimes it worked just sitting at the doorstep of the albergue. The password is on the wall inside the albergue.

I’m envious of your lunch there ! I was there on that bar’s rest day (Wednesday) and so dinner was a bag of chips at the other bar and then stale bits and pieces from my pack. 🙂

Paci (sp?) was so nice!

Bar Hornija was closed for a funeral the Sunday I was there. Bar Avenida (Ana y Manuel) may not be as popular, but it’s an option. They prepared a nice lunch of Russian salad and a plate of cod for me the Sunday lunch I was there, maybe because the other bar was closed.

There had been a large monastery attached, which at one point had occupied the whole plaza.Originally it had been a smaller church and the apse and transept remain from that original Visigothic/Mozarabic church. The horseshoe arches are very typical of that style. In the 12th C the church was handed over to the Order of St. John the Hospitaller. The nave of the church is from that time and is of a late Romanesque style. In the apse and one of the chapels, Mozarabic and Gothic frescos have been rediscovered.
I think this is the first, or one of the first, Wamba descriptions I have seen that talk about anything other than the skulls. So thank you very much! The Visigothic/Mozarabic/Romanesque elements are beautiful.

Are those frescoes that were discovered on display in the church, or have they been spirited off to some other museum?

Would love to see any more pictures you have of arches, capitals, frescoes……

Used to be that I didn't much care about these Live from the Camino threads.

Then I had my own ultra big mega one, and well -- not only do I now realise that they are a meaningful support structure for pilgrims on the Way (mine certainly helped me !!), but also for those of us who aren't walking right now, for the moment at least.

It's true as well that having done multiple portions of or even several entire routes on my last very lengthy one has given me a LOT more appreciation of the various Caminos of others.

Sus Eia -- as these threads are already a manifest Ultreia !!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think this is the first, or one of the first, Wamba descriptions I have seen that talk about anything other than the skulls. So thank you very much! The Visigothic/Mozarabic/Romanesque elements are beautiful.

Are those frescoes that were discovered on display in the church, or have they been spirited off to some other museum?

Would love to see any more pictures you have of arches, capitals, frescoes……
In the church. Data speeds are slow or unreliable here in Peñaflor but when I get somewhere I can upload the photos to Google Photos, I will put all the Wamba church photos into a shared album and put the link here.

Well, that wifi info changes everything. :)

I went to Avenida first, but with them only serving raciones, I tried Hornija.

BTW there seems to be a Fiesta in the village today. I was listening to a live band in the square for a while Bar Hornija is fiesta central.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In the church. Data speeds are slow or unreliable here in Peñaflor but when I get somewhere I can upload the photos to Google Photos, I will put all the Wamba church photos into a shared album and put the link here.
Here's the link. If you have any questions about what's in the photographs, don't hesitate to ask, although the sooner you ask the more likely I am to remember the guides explanations.

Beautiful, thanks so much! What’s with the weighing of the severed heads? And the guy chewing on what looks like a jamón serrano or a huge chunk of bread?

Did you learn anything about what that lonely precarious-looking column is doing in the middle of the floor?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Beautiful, thanks so much! What’s with the weighing of the severed heads? And the guy chewing on what looks like a jamón serrano or a huge chunk of bread?

Did you learn anything about what that lonely precarious-looking column is doing in the middle of the floor?
The weighing of the heads I think related to the Last Judgement. You can see the devil on one side and an angel on the other. Maybe the sculptor only had room for heads on the scales.

The guy with something big in his mouth was an artisan, but I don't remember the full story.

I'd did learn more about the precarious column. I can be of more use on that one. It is in a chapel that boasts of having a vault like a palm tree, which by its similarity, has come to be called the "Tree of Life". The column that supports this "palm tree" is very worn because it was believed to have healing powers and all the inhabitants of the region went to touch it to be cured.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@peregrina2000 and I walked the Lana last month, and there were a number of places in the middle of Spain where my Movistar had better reception than her Vodafone, but fewer places where the opposite was true. She is still happy with Vodafone, though, for familiarity and ease of renewal, etc. I haven't quite figured out how to recharge my Movistar, but will solve that by not walking more than a month each year! :D

(I don't want to hijack this thread with comparisons of phone coverage. Having poor coverage occasionally is not a big issue, but the info could be helpful for people who are concerned about it.)

Day 14: Peñaflor de Hornija to Santa Espina (also walking to Urueña)
26.5 km

Had a good night's sleep last night and again set out at around 7 for Santa Espina. The walk can be divided into three parts. The first quarter was walking through plains with wind farms. Then most of the rest of the walk (probably two thirds of the total) was practically bushwhacking on barely maintained paths between trees and bushes that marked the edges of farmers' fields. The last bit was road walking. I arrived in Santa Espina at about 10 only to find that the monastery is not open on Mondays. Then I thought I might hitch to Urueña. The first guy to drive by stopped for me, but he was headed in the opposite direction, back towards Peñaflor.

I walked a bit further on and discovered the village of La Santa Espina where the albergue is located. It is in the local gym/sports centre attached to the bar/social centre. So tonight I'm sleeping on a mat on the gym floor, accommodations available after the last exercise class is finished. Kicking it back old school. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the mat wasn't one of the thin floor mats but more of a mattress thickness. I've got clothes stuffed in a pillowcase as a pillow.

Having dropped off my backpack and poles at the albergue/gym, I headed on to Urueña. A taxi didn't seem like much of an option, especially as I have no cell service here. Apparently there are Movistar and Orange networks available but no Vodafone. I figured I'd walk along the road and hitch whenever a car passed by hitching and hiking. As it turned out, the one car that stopped this time wasn't going my way. All the cars headed in the Urueña direction sped on by. So I walked the 10 km to Urueña.

Quick tip for Urueña: Monday is the worst day to visit. Don't get me wrong, it is a very pretty town and the views from the town walls were stunning. But of the five museums, only one was open and that was because I had emailed ahead. The Museo de Musica Luis Delgado was great and if you have any interest in musical instruments across time or geography it is well worth a visit. There were me and a lady from Alicante following the audio guided tour of the exhibits, highlighting key instruments and providing samples of them being played. After the tour, Luis confirmed that there were no taxis in Urueña that might take me back but convinced the lady from Alicante that it was worth a drive to Santa Espina, just to see the exterior of the monastery. Which saved me another two hour walk. So, quick tip number two: if you are going to Urueña make sure you have transportation or a place to stay. Don't count on getting as lucky as I did.

After visiting the museum and before heading (back) to Santa Espina, we did a little tourism. We walked the city walls. We found an open bookstore (one of the nineteen). We had lunch (a very nice menu del dia; she said she had had the same dish we borh ordered for the second course recently at a parador and this was just as good). So I got to sample Urueña although I didn't get the full experience, it being a Monday.

Upon arriving back in Santa Espina I discovered there is open wifi in the bar and gym (the router is in the room I'm sleeping in) which is how I'm uploading this.

Oh, and wildlife of the day: flies.

Photos below:
- Wind farm (again)
- I wouldn't trust this was a path if it weren't for the yellow arrows
- Overgrown path
- Monastery of Santa Espina
- Walls of Urueña
- In the Museo de la Musica Luis Delgado
- In a bookstore (there's a reason they call it the Villa del Libro)
- View from the city walls

Attachments

• 20230619_074432.jpg
    20230619_074432.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230619_082310.jpg
    20230619_082310.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230619_091651.jpg
    20230619_091651.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230619_095357.jpg
    20230619_095357.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230619_122838.jpg
    20230619_122838.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230619_123537.jpg
    20230619_123537.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230619_134333.jpg
    20230619_134333.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230619_151317.jpg
    20230619_151317.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 66
Wow - that museum looks impressive! And the poppies continue to be fantastic!

Had a good night's sleep last night and again set out at around 7 for Santa Espina. The walk can be divided into three parts. The first quarter was walking through plains with wind farms. Then most of the rest of the walk (probably two thirds of the total) was practically bushwhacking on barely maintained paths between trees and bushes that marked the edges of farmers' fields. The last bit was road walking. I arrived in Santa Espina at about 10 only to find that the monastery is not open on Mondays. Then I thought I might hitch to Urueña.
I don’t remember ever hearing about this detour, so thanks for the heads up. I read a little about it on gronze and online, and learned that the monastery claims to have one of the original thorns from Jesus’ crown of thorns.

Gronze suggests that you will have challenges tomorrow getting back to the camino, too, so good luck! Gronze also noted that the monastery was used to house prisoners in the Civil War, not exactly the kind of use you would hope one would make of a monastery.

I don’t remember ever hearing about this detour, so thanks for the heads up. I read a little about it on gronze and online, and learned that the monastery claims to have one of the original thorns from Jesus’ crown of thorns.

Gronze suggests that you will have challenges tomorrow getting back to the camino, too, so good luck! Gronze also noted that the monastery was used to house prisoners in the Civil War, not exactly the kind of use you would hope one would make of a monastery.
I heard about it from this post by @VNwalking in the Virtual Camino de Madrid thread.

I might try the route that Organic Maps suggests to Castromonte instead of the Camino GPS track.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was using Orange on my Madrid, and there were a few places where I had no service.
There are a few places on the Catalàn with no service.

Really, the Francès and Português are standout exceptions as to mobile cover nearly everywhere. Not always so on the secondary or tertiary routes ...

I came across some overgrown Camino spots like that on my single day on the VDLP in Spring last year, at about the same latitude and not that far (and with quite a few pilgrims /day), so I guess it must be some characteristic fast-growing undergrowth in that broad region of the meseta. Still, I'm old enough to remember overgrown paths on the Francès ...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.