• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino del Salvador

Hola, estube esperando en la catedral, salude a otto y me dijo que ivas delante de el, tomamos algo en la plaza de la catedral para ver si aparecias, ahora ire a comer a la chalana, cerca de la catedral, si es posible nos vemos esta tarde antes de mi regreso a leon. [Ivar: removed mobile phone number] un saludo

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...ok me again. I'm now back at my hotel which is this: ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1379512101.066275.jpg
At Calle San Juan 6.
That is just 100 m from the cathedral.
I'm there now at my room.
Maybe you can come to my hotel and ask for me? :)

Hola, estube esperando en la catedral, salude a otto y me dijo que ivas delante de el, tomamos algo en la plaza de la catedral para ver si aparecias, ahora ire a comer a la chalana, cerca de la catedral, si es posible nos vemos esta tarde antes de mi regreso a leon. 696386553 un saludo

He says: "I was waiting in the cathedral. I said hi to Otto and he told me that you were ahead of him. We had a drink in the cathedral plaza to see if you appeared. I'm going now to eat at La Chalana. If it's possible, we will see each other this afternoon before I go back to Leon. his mobile:
[Ivar: removed mobile number]. "

I don't know La Chalana, but it looks yummy. http://www.lachalana.com/ It's on my list for my next Salvador/Primitivo.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just a quick update to say that I have heard from Susanna. She and Ender are having coffee, and she will let us know later about her prize. Now are you all ready to follow her on the Primitivo? Maybe she will run into fraluchi and Anne along the way.

Last edited:
This is real camino life live...
Thank you, and a very lovely Camino Primitivo, which I liked very much as well

(if weather is fine, take the Hospitales road. It's majestic)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Turns out I was wrong about the "leguario" being only for water measurement. What Ender wrote was the following:
The leguario indicates the distance in leagues, which was only used in Spain as a measurement during the times of El Cid and he was married with the daughter of the Count of Oviedo. The league is the distance that a person could cover in an hour, and it fluctuates between 4 and 7 kms. It wasn't a universal measure, and it disappeared because of its inaccuracy, it was a different distance in each place of Europe. It's logical that you wouldn't be able to cover the same distance in the mountains as on the meseta. The leguario of Portazgo is 8 kms from Oviedo. There are very few leguarios (league markers) left in Europe, which makes it more unusual. It's a little gem of the Camino. In Oviedo there is another one that says "1/2 league" and they have moved it to a little square in the city.

Laurie:

Sounds a bit like a cubit. An old form of measurement from ones elbow to finger tip. Usually 18-21 inches.

Joe

Hello Susanna,
Congratulations with your achievment.
Could it be possible that the price was the yellow arrow you're wearing (= not washable)View attachment 6198

Hola!
Thank you! Yes, I got two yellow arrows, the scarf, and the camino del Salvador pin, and the diploma! And a cup of coffee;)
What a great camino, and what a special way to end it. I'm very happy today:)
And the Mateo festival is going on here on the streets. It's so fun to be here now:)
I will stay here two nights before I start walking camino primitivo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Two days... then start studying the Asturia song you will hear every hour from the Caj'Astur building. First rendez-vous tomorrow at 11:00 precisely!
Asturias, Patria querida,
Asturias de mis amores;
¡quién estuviera en Asturias
en todas las ocasiones!
Tengo de subir al árbol,
tengo de coger la flor,
y dársela a mi morena
que la ponga en el balcón,
Que la ponga en el balcón,
que la deje de poner,
tengo de subir al árbol
y la flor he de coger.

Hi Susanna
I have really enjoyed these past few days reading your live blog and pictures. What great pictures.!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Went to the cathedral yesterday and got my special Salvador diploma. And a new credential for the Primitivo. I had two credentials, one ordinary which I started in Madrid (I walked Camino de Madrid first and two days on the frances) and the special Salvador credential.
And here's a few pics from yesterday's festival here in town.:)

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1379567312.981844.jpg
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1379567694.573151.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1379567748.907076.jpg

Ok I'll write a trip report later when I'm back home. It was such a great walk! I loved it. And remember...at least at this time of year... You can do it in sandals!;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great following you Susanna (and Otto) and look forward to hearing what Ender has in store for you! Rest up and will enjoy reading about your escapades along the Primitivo.

addendum: I just see that I missed a whole day and page of wonderful pictures including you, otto and Ender with your prizes! Must have sleeping this morning when I opened the thread.

Last edited:
Oh look - your pic posted just as I did.
If you have time to answer....does it take much data to post a pic like that? And which phone service are you using? Thanks
I have forgotten to answer your question. :) ok I got an iPhone 4 and I use the app. I don't know how much mb it takes to upload the pics.( without the app I can't upload pics from my phone) I use Telia and in Sweden I can use Internet how much I want, in Europe a certain amount of mb everyday, when over the limit it shuts off. That only happened once so far on the camino.
When on an almost no service area, I must not start the app, as it gets grumpy and stays loading for ever. I then must delete the app and download it again. Otherwise it works perfect:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have forgotten to answer your question. :) ok I got an iPhone 4 and I use the app. I don't know how much mb it takes to upload the pics.( without the app I can't upload pics from my phone) I use Telia and in Sweden I can use Internet how much I want, in Europe a certain amount of mb everyday, when over the limit it shuts off. That only happened once so far on the camino.
When on an almost no service area, I must not start the app, as it gets grumpy and stays loading for ever. I then must delete the app and download it again. Otherwise it works perfect:)

That's exactly the kind of info that it useful - thanks. And so glad you had a wonderful time.

Thank you Susanna for the writing and pictures. It´s like I was there without getting wet or tired :)

Roger

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear Salvador friends, I've finally written down my notes from Camino del Salvador.
Here they are, the walk as I remember it:

Day 1, Leon- Buiza (albergue)
Day 2, Buiza-Pajares (albergue)
Day 3, Pajares-Pola de Lena (albergue)
Day 4, Pola de Lena- Mieres (albergue)
Day 5, Mieres- Oviedo. (Hotel)

I used both the csj (Lauries guide book) and the spanish book: Guide to Camino del Salvador (with the photos): http://caminodelsalvador.net/

Day 1. From Leon to Buiza. The camino starts with maybe 7 km pavement walking out of Leon. After that, a trail through the woods where there were extremely many flying bugs. I thought it was best to run through it, but wished I had a mosquito net on my hat (will bring that the next time). Later there was some asphalt road walking before and after the big power plant: after Cascantes and before La Robla. Had some difficulties finding the way here. Here one has to walk on a busy asphalt road for a while, lots of cars. I passed La Robla (the way through was easy) and at the end of the town was the Albergue. ( I did not stop) After this, you continue to walk on pink and white pavement out of town. I was a bit confused here as the spanish guide book said we walk on a beautiful path along the river. The river is further on and it's pavement a long way. At Puente de Alba I was lost for a while, as there were three roads to chose from. The right one is the camino, but the way marking is 100-200 m up the hill and you have to walk there to see it. After that it was fairly easy to find the way to Pola de Gordon. Here I tried to find a hotel but when I arrived everything I saw was closed. I already had food in my pack and decided to continue to Buiza (where there are no shops). The last part of that walk was mostly on one narrow asphalt road, with only one way marking as you enter it, then nothing until Buiza. In Buiza the albergue is on the right side of the road, easy to find. It's big, clean and has a kitchen and good hot shower (one bathroom for men, one for women).
Lots of water fountains along the way.

Day 2. To Pajares.
Leaving Buiza and then uphills to the mountains. (I did not walk the n -630 option) The trail was easy to follow, and the way marking was very good. I walked in sandals and had no problems. In Poladura de la Tercia I had hoped to find something to eat, but there was nothing that day, not even an open bar. The albergue is very basic, according to my companion who went there for a look. He had planned to stay at the casa rural, but as they did not serve any food or coffee (they only had cold drinks and peanuts) until the evening, he decided to move on also.
Walked to Arbas. The restaurant there (or bar, or what it was) was closed and for sale. From there we walked on the n-630 to the bar at Puerto de Pajares, which was open, lots of people there. Good menu del dia. After that a walk to Pajares, which was longer than I expected. The albergue was at the left side of n-630. The albergue was ok, one bathroom for both men and women. There was a bar in town, it was open when I entered town, then it closed, they said it should open in the evening at 20.30, don't know if it did. We were four staying at the albergue, and I thought one could eat at there, but there was only the coffee and snack machine. I was glad I had some food in my pack.

Day 3. To Pola de Lena.
The most difficult day. The bar in Pajares was closed for holiday. Thanks to the coffee and snack machine in the albergue there was at least something for breakfast. The walk starts with a walk down a very steep road. It was so steep my legs were shaking when we got down. The way was easy to find, but I didn't know it would be so hilly. You pass through a few small villages. Before Puente los Fierros one can chose to turn left through the woods, or continue to walk on the road, we took the way through the woods. Lots of ups and downs and lots of blackberries growing on the trail. This part was much longer than I expected and no bar or shop anywhere. Before Campomanes there was another very steep downhills, again very hard for the legs. Should you walk it uphills, you would probably rather climb it, using your hands too. In Campomanes we were incredibly happy to find an open bar, finally. We wanted to stop but all hotels in town were fully booked, occupied by workers. A man drove us to the police station (!) in Pola de Lena, where they showed us the way to the albergue, which was big, clean with a large bathroom. My walking companion had to go to the hospital in town, which was easy, no long waiting. We found a good restaurant and a nice bakery in the town also, not far from the albergue.

Day 4. To Mieres.
From here there was no need to carry lots of food as there were bars and shops in many places.
We took half day off, first in Pola de Lena, and later the train back to Christina de Lena ( The church is very small but beautiful, and it was open) from where we walked back again to Pola de Lena. To here it was most flat asphalt walking. It was difficult to find the way through town (had to use GPS, Google maps and ask the locals). After we finally made it, it was road walking and asphalt paths most of the day to Mieres, very tiring for the feet. We stopped in Ujo where we went to the nice bakery next to the church. When in Mieres, you must walk through the whole city, the albergue is outside town at the other side. We got lost again and had to ask the locals. The albergue was ok, but too many beds in one room, very little space between, and you could not open the windows. Good separate bathrooms and a hot shower. A small kitchen. We bought food in a little shop about 100-200 m from the albergue.

Day 5. To Oviedo.
First a long uphills on asphalt. Then a mix of road walking and nice trails in the woods. This day was nothing special, not too hard, a few hills up and down. You pass a few towns/little villages where the were bars. Some nice views as you come closer to Oviedo.

Summary:
* there were more asphalt road walking than I had expected, and many of these roads are narrow with steel fences and/or no shoulder. I used a hi-viz every day and was glad I did.
* The waymarking was good in most places, but I got lost a few times as mentioned earlier. My walking companion had a GPS which was very helpful. I also used google maps on my iPhone.
* 3G was no problem, there were more 3G than no-3G. There were also wifi in a few bars, but not everywhere.
* water was no problem, there were fountains along the way. On day two there were less fountains as you walked in the mountains, but still no problem, I thought. I carried two 1/2 liter bottles, one full and one half full "just in case".
* food was a problem as there were no shops and just a few bars from Poladura to Campomanes. I carried lots of extra food.
* I had a light sleeping bag and used blankets too. It was a bit chilly in Buiza and Pajares.
* I had an electric coil (and a mug) with me too cook water for tea, which I used every day. You could probably cook water in the kitchens in the albergues but I wasn't sure about if there were pots and pans etc. An essential item as tea made of microwave cooked water is undrinkable.
* I walked in sandals and my pack was 4,5 kg before food and water, which felt right for me. My walking companion had heavy leather Goretex boots and carried 13 kg in his pack, and was happy with that. It was a little bit colder on top of the mountains, but not as bad as I feared. We both had trekking poles which were great, as you sometimes walk in the terrain.
* The best part is between Buiza and Pajares, I think. That part is the best walk I have ever done.

Day 1: ...walking out of Leon. After that, a trail through the woods where there were extremely many flying bugs.... Strange. Six weeks before I only had all kinds of butterflies.
Day 3: ... Lots of ups and downs and lots of blackberries growing on the trail. This part was much longer than I expected: We had exactly the same feeling.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 1: ...walking out of Leon. After that, a trail through the woods where there were extremely many flying bugs.... Strange. Six weeks before I only had all kinds of butterflies.
Day 3: ... Lots of ups and downs and lots of blackberries growing on the trail. This part was much longer than I expected: We had exactly the same feeling.

Day 1, I got the bugs too (last week of August). They weren't biting but just flying round my face. Really irritating and made it hard to enjoy the woods. I had a bug net but it was too hot to wear it.

Day 3, I thought Pola de Lena would never come. It felt like I was walking through its suburbs for hours. Probably wasn't (I dont wear a watch) but certainly felt that way. Looking at the map it's a long strip of a town so I guess you reach it long before you're really in it. The big tarmac downhill going towards Puente de los Fierros felt like it would never end as well. Very tiring day I thought.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome Jose! So you remembered the forum I showed you when we met two weeks ago. The German girls you also met that day followed your route and found it traumatic and would not recommend it. Great to have you here. I have been told that you have been informed about the black dog in Poladura that bit me the next morning and that someone else had also been bitten. Thanks again for all your efforts on our behalf, it was a great pleasure to enjoy your company.

Bienvenido Jose! Así que usted recordó el foro que te mostré cuando nos conocimos hace dos semanas. Las chicas alemanas que también se reunió ese día siguieron su ruta y lo encontraron traumática y no lo recomendaría. Gran tenerte aquí. Me han dicho que usted ha sido informado sobre el perro negro en Poladura que me mordió la mañana siguiente y que alguien más también lo había mordido. Gracias de nuevo por todos sus esfuerzos en nuestro nombre, fue un gran placer para disfrutar de su compañía

Attachments

• Ender.jpg
    Ender.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.