• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino ended a few hours ago sadly, need to get back to UK asap

grumpygit

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
This is a little bit of a long shot but only hope of saying goodbye to some great new friends who I will no longer see.
I started the camino on the 13th May At SJPDP and this morning was due to leave Logroño.
But this morning I have been informed my Dad died in the early hours in the UK and my camino has now just ended.

Enjoyed every minute of my camino and sad it has to end. I am trying to get back to the UK ASAP if anyone has any suggestions?
My first thought is to head for Biarritz from logrono and get a flight?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So sorry to hear your awful news @grumpygit :-( I hope you work out your plans to get home to your loved ones soon. Take care of yourself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@grumpygit, this is sad news. My condolences. 🫂

Having travelled from and to various starting points and endpoints on the Camino Francés myself and also having organised this for family members from the UK, here are the options I can think of, assuming that you want to return to London and any London airport is ok:

Flights from Madrid, Bilbao and Biarritz are good options. I would tend to regard Madrid as the best option. There are currently available flights from all these three airports to London, even late this afternoon Friday 19 May. easyJet and Iberia Express from Madrid, Vueling from Bilbao and a very late (21:35 departure) Ryanair flight from Biarritz.

There are Alsa buses from Logroño to Madrid Barajas airport, duration is 4 hours. There is one direct bus this afternoon at 15:00, the 16:00 is fully booked, and there are others that go to Madrid but without a stop at the airport. More buses, obviously, on Saturday tomorrow.

There appear to be no direct Alsa buses from Logroño to the airports of Bilbao and Biarritz. From memory, various combinations of two bus connections are a good option but I did not check how suitable their schedules are for your situation. Taxi from Logroño to Bilbao is an option (1h 30 m, apparently in the €150 region).

Please let us know if we can provide more specific practical help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had to bail for a similar reason on my Camino in 2019 which I had started in Le Puy and upon arriving in Hontanas, I learned my sister was in the ICU. Fortunately I knew my way around that region after working at San Anton and was able to get to Bilbao early enough in the morning to catch a flight to the US. I only say this because I think Bilbao from Logrono might be your quickest route home, I have taken the buses from Logrono several times, they are fast and efficient. May your father RIP!

This is a little bit of a long shot but only hope of saying goodbye to some great new friends who I will no longer see.
I started the camino on the 13th May At SJPDP and this morning was due to leave Logroño.
But this morning I have been informed my Dad died in the early hours in the UK and my camino has now just ended.

Enjoyed every minute of my camino and sad it has to end. I am trying to get back to the UK ASAP if anyone has any suggestions?
I’m sorry for your loss.

Madrid probably best option.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sending you and your family deepest condolences ~ blessings on you beloved Dad ~ safe travels ~

So sorry for your loss dear pilgrim!
Travel safe!
Sending love!

grumpygit, I also pray that you will find comfort after the loss and that you will quickly and smoothly return home. I also pray that you will be able to return to your pilgrimage, perhaps with new meaning for you in it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry to hear your sad news and I hope your journey home will be straightforward.
Remember the Camino will always be there. So come back when you can and pick up where you left off.

Bus to Bilbao and flight from there

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So sorry for your loss, hopefully you will get to return at some time in the future. Until then sending love to you and your family.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you return to finish your Camino - and you will - bring the exact credential and restart at the place you ended this section of your planned Camino. Alternately, you can restart form the beginning with a new credencial.

Remember to dedicate your Camino to your late father. At the Pilgrim Office, request your Compostela "In Vicare Pro" (your father's first and last name).

Hope this helps. Please accept my sincere condolences at the loss of your father.

Tom

@grumpygit, this is sad news. My condolences. 🫂

Having travelled from and to various starting points and endpoints on the Camino Francés myself and also having organised this for family members from the UK, here are the options I can think of, assuming that you want to return to London and any London airport is ok:

Flights from Madrid, Bilbao and Biarritz are good options. I would tend to regard Madrid as the best option. There are currently available flights from all these three airports to London, even late this afternoon Friday 19 May. easyJet and Iberia Express from Madrid, Vueling from Bilbao and a very late (21:35 departure) Ryanair flight from Biarritz.

There are Alsa buses from Logroño to Madrid Barajas airport, duration is 4 hours. There is one direct bus this afternoon at 15:00, the 16:00 is fully booked, and there are others that go to Madrid but without a stop at the airport. More buses, obviously, on Saturday tomorrow.

There appear to be no direct Alsa buses from Logroño to the airports of Bilbao and Biarritz. From memory, various combinations of two bus connections are a good option but I did not check how suitable their schedules are for your situation. Taxi from Logroño to Bilbao is an option (1h 30 m, apparently in the €150 region).

Please let us know if we can provide more specific practical help.
What a lovely, generous person you are! Bless you!

Bilbao Airport works too. Vueling flies direct to London Gatwick. Train from Logrono to Bilbao Airport.
My condolences.
Purky! Have not seen you for ages! Last time telling us about somebody who died - cannot remember. How are you doing? Sorry, not the subject of this thread.....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

So sorry to hear that. You will be able to finish it another day. I interrupted mine at Burgos 5 years ago and finished this year! It was still wonderful

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So sorry for your loss!
We had to bail from the Norte on day 1 of the 2nd half (Ribadesella) in 3019 when my mother died unexpectedly. Thanks to COVID it was 2022 when we were able to resume, but the Camino was there for us, as it will be for you when you able/ready.
May your father rest in peace.

Condolences to you & your family
bus to pamplona
Fly Pamplona to Heathrow

Thanks for all the lovely messages.
Sadly none of the many people I met on the camino know I am no longer with them because of the rush to leave.
Was looking forward to ending the walking next month with many of them.

Now in San Sebastian(now 7am) and now just need to get to biarritz where I have a flight today

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get home safe
The Camino awaits to be revisited....

Last edited:
Thanks for all the lovely messages.
Sadly none of the many people I met on the camino know I am no longer with them because of the rush to leave.
Was looking forward to ending the walking next month with many of them.

Now in San Sebastian(now 7am) and now just need to get to biarritz where I have a flight today
Be with your people. Later, decide next steps. Prayer for you all.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I suspect I am too late to help OP, but I've gone from Logroño to London and from Burgos to London by bus in less than 24 hours. Rome2Río claims that it can be done by train in 12, 13, or 14 hours depending on route.

My deepest condolances. And to add to it, you also had to leave newfound friends without any explanation. I am very sorry for you. But better days will come, when you can re-take your Camino and once more make new friends.

May your dad rest in peace! Sorry you had to end your camino thus way. Return to walk in his memory sometime maybe. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Returned to the UK last night to a perfect Spring British evening and a reflective drive home with a perfect sunset. Woke up early this morning as it seems my body is still on Camino timing/mode :) and was ready to take up a 10 kg rucksack.

Sadly I have not heard from anyone I was talking to on the pilgrimage, they will all be around the Belorado region right now, I suppose some of us thought there would be plenty of time for swapping numbers later.
Big part of this Camino for me was the hope of dealing with some serious issues I had with my Dad and the fact we rarely talked since my wonderful Mothers death several years ago.
Seems ironic that he would be the reason that this important Camino for myself would be cancelled because of him.
Anyway, thanks for the help and advice and kind words and it's now time for me to start making plans for the coming week and hopefully I will return to Northern Spain one day x

I’m very sorry for this news. Go be with your family and friends. The Camino wI’ll always be here waiting. Peace.

Returned to the UK last night to a perfect Spring British evening and a reflective drive home with a perfect sunset. Woke up early this morning as it seems my body is still on Camino timing/mode :) and was ready to take up a 10 kg rucksack.

Sadly I have not heard from anyone I was talking to on the pilgrimage, they will all be around the Belorado region right now, I suppose some of us thought there would be plenty of time for swapping numbers later.
Big part of this Camino for me was the hope of dealing with some serious issues I had with my Dad and the fact we rarely talked since my wonderful Mothers death several years ago.
Seems ironic that he would be the reason that this important Camino for myself would be cancelled because of him.
Anyway, thanks for the help and advice and kind words and it's now time for me to start making plans for the coming week and hopefully I will return to Northern Spain one day x
Good to read that you managed so swiftly.

I am sure there are many of your Camino friends here on the Forum who has had you in their thoughts this weekend.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

But you did what you could.. Things happen for a reason and it'll all make sense down the road. Hope you can allow yourself to find peace.

I am so very sorry to read this news of your Father's passing Grumpygit. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Camino Blessings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So sorry for your loss mate. The Camino will wait for you to return. God bless your Dad. Take good care.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back