• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Experience (Variety of topics)

sydunipete

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago commencing 5 April 2014
Leon to Santiago commencing April 2015
Having just finished the Camino here are some personal reflections on popular topics I've see discussed here during the time I was preparing for my Camino. I hope it's of some help to others.

These are my personal views and are no doubt influenced on the time of my Camino (I started on 5 April 2014 from St Jean), the weather (we were blessed) and other factors.

1. Time of the year. It was perfect. Some snow on the ground crossing the mountains but at other times it was generally cold to start the day but warm enough to walk in shorts and shirt sleeves most days. We raised a sweat when walking briskly but the sun wasn't too harsh. Summer would be a real challenge though.

2. Waterproof boots or not. We agreed yes, they were necessary. We walked through snow and quite a bit of shallow water on the trail. For a few days we had rain on the meseta which created long stretches of mud and big puddles. Runners or non waterproof shoes would have been a nightmare. Even when dry several parts of the walk are over river rocks, sharp pointy rocks and other uneven surfaces. My feet felt bruised in solid shoes, in runners they would likely have been much more tender.

3. Blisters etc. I got away with no blisters or any problems at all. But others had blisters, and shin splints were also common. My advice is to train. Ensure you walk regularly 25km (or whatever you plan to do), multiple days in a row carrying your intended load wearing your boots you plan to wear.

4. Backpack weight. I had 12kg others had 6. But I trained with my load and hence was confident in my ability to carry it without problems. If you find a problem in training you can lighten your load (or train more). Work out your packing list early and train with it.

5. Single females walking. There are many of them. As far as I know they all felt safe and you are never far from somebody who can help on the Camino. It must be one if the safest activities for a single female to do.

6. You walk your own Camino. Some stay in hotels, others in albergues. Some have their luggage shipped ahead, some carry it. Some walk 50km a day, others 5. But at the end of the day we all sit around the table and enjoy each other's company over dinner.

7. Rain coat or poncho. Poncho.

8. Solo or in a group. That's up to you. I formed great friendships on the Camino and it's an incredibly social activity. You would have to make a real effort not to meet others and become friends.

Other things you might like to consider.

I found Santiago to be a terrible place to finish the Camino. There were lots of drugs on the streets and somehow, except for groups of friends, the Camino spirit was lost in that town. Rarely did you hear buen Camino, even from other pilgrims. Fisterra was a much more sympathetic and memorable place to finish. (It's less than 3 hours in a bus from Santiago). The Camino spirit is alive there plus you get the magic of a sunset over the ocean sitting on rocks underneath the light house.

When arriving in Santiago allow plenty of time. Backpacks are not allowed in the cathedral so if you plan to attend the 12 noon mass allow enough time to get your room sorted and leave your pack. Alternatively there is a left luggage service just past the pilgrim office (2 euro). Just follow the signs. The church and the left luggage service get busy so allow plenty of time. My rushed arrival took the gloss off things and ensured that I stood through the mass after 820km of walking!

But finally. It was an amazing experience. One that I will remember for ever. I encourage you to do as much of the Camino as you can.

Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks much for the thoughts and comments. I realize that no two pilgrims with have the same experience but one thing I had to comment on was the town of Santiago. I loved it. We had time to walk to Finisterra but chose to stay in Santiago. We loved just sitting in the plaza & pubs and meeting up with people we met along the Way. We loved the masses every day (and I'm not into churches near that much!) We loved meeting and talking to other pilgrims that we had not met before. I think the only bad experience was trying to buy some Azabache Jet trinkets. The tourist jewelry stores were just like tourist jewelry stores everywhere.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree there were a lot of jewellery stores. In the end I chose not to buy any T-shirts, trinkets, mugs or other tourist stuff because I felt doing so would just cheapen the whole experience. Maybe because the rest of the camino was such an exceptional experience. Others I knew felt exactly the same way.

I stayed in Santiago for 2 nights. I agree the dinners with fellow pilgrims (who I knew at some stage along the way) were real highlights for me.

Again : everybody's camino is different.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It's been a year...WOW the Camino taught me so many lessons about life, and did I need them! I am still in the hospital unable to walk it's been four months now. I know it's ironic that I walked 500 miles and now can't walk five feet. My problem is not because of my walking the Camino. I live in Thailand but had to be transported back to the US, because of a back/spine problem and to add to my challenge I had a stroke in the hospital. Without my Camino experience I have no idea where I would be today.

This story is about the challenges I am facing to get the right medical care. Sure glad I have the right insurance to cover all my bills. Read about how I discovered the difference between surrendering and giving up.

My good friend Greg, sent me a note this week, Jim, you can surrender, but “never,” give up! Greg was referring to my confusing medical condition and the emotional roller coaster I have been on.

On my 56-day Camino de Santiago walking journey, I was filled with many emotions and “surrender,” was often on my mind. However, I struggled with the difference in surrendering and giving up! I looked at surrendering as a sign of weakness; a message you give to the enemy during a battle. During my walk there were days when I did surrender and crashed for the night, but the thought of giving up the journey, never entered my mind.

Although, we know, as prisoners of war, they may have held their hands up, but never totally yielded to “giving up!” They were left with one weapon, “HOPE,” and that was their answer for possible freedom.

Now, that little short message mirrors the challenges that face me, and I’m sure, some of you, it will also blend to the Butterfly story below that affects all of us.

I wonder how many doctors skipped school on the days (or months) that they were taught compassion and respect? I know they do not have an easy job and have to see so many patients in a day, just to pay their malpractice insurance.
This problem is not just the Doctors (by the way, I have found two fantastic Doctors…yes,) it also filters down to other parts of our health care system. I am very grateful that I have insurance and know the USA has some of the best health care in the world; that’s why I came back from Thailand.

For the past four months, I have been bounced around from one Doctor to another and several hospitals plus two nursing homes. The nursing home I’m in now is fantastic it is extremely efficient and is filled with compassion and respect.

However, the nursing home I was in a few weeks ago was very inefficient,

and I was treated by some of the staff as a less-than human.

Most of you know me; I am a very strong person; however, the system broke me. Besides my back/spine problem, plus the stroke, I became weak and feeble; I was broken, mentally, physically and it even affected my spiritual life. This became much more challenging than walking the Camino say... 10 times! I could not have made it through this with all the help from my family and friends. My sister Joy was always at my side....You saved me!

At one point, at the first nursing home, I was offered the option to leave, but they took my crutches and walker and the only choice I had was to crawl on my hands and knees to get out of the door; they didn't even care. They, in spite of, told me if I like Thailand so much "I should go back!" Since I was one of the few who could or would speak up for myself, I said, "You have abused me and pushed me to my limit," they said, "This is not abuse, abuse is when someone hits you," I said, "please hit me," I am sure it will be less painful. At that point this strong man, cried, I was broken and because of my blood pressure, my vision went blank. They won.... I went pass surrender; I gave up!​

This is when my Camino lessons kicked in, never give up, and I was not alone. Family and friends from around the world came to the rescue even though many did not know the situation I was in. I know this emotional abuse took a tool on me physically, my vision got worse, my spine felt more painful and the dizzy spells continued.

Today I surrender and feel I am now in the hands of knowledgeable people who can help and will try to get me back on the road to recovery. I am surrounded by medical people who care and we are all on the same team.

Now, how about the two doctors who told me, I would never get better, and my life will at no time, ever be the same? There is a possibility, they may be right! However, today, I chose not to believe that, hope is the only thing on my menu.

This is when my Camino lessons kick into overdrive; TODAY, I carry zero resentment’s against anyplace or anyone! And I guarantee you; from this experience, I learned even more lessons, which go into my Camino bank.

When your heart speaks…listen, however,

Don’t be confused if you hear noise from your head!
The man who found the cocoon had no intention to hurt anyone or anything, yet his action changed a life forever, back to the reaction thing! He could have been my Doctor?

The Butterfly surrendered and gave up; a choice we will all have to face someday.... Could the Butterfly be Me?

THE BUTTERFLY STORY

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through that little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could, and it could go no further.

So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon. The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.

Stop…don’t think…listen

The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time. Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

What the man, in his kindness and haste, did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If God allowed us to go through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. We could never fly!

Author Unknown

Love you guys, I will get better! Jim

Are you a butterfly; because of someone else’s actions?

Every struggle has a lesson; do you think that’s also a gift?

Tell me what you think, in the box below.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG..."STROKES 'R' US" just click...

It could happen to you....it did me!

"" Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly ""

Jim I have not had the same struggles as you describe and I have yet to walk "the Camino".

However, I have experienced the "lessons" you describe during the Camino of Life. I agree with all you have said.

I have worked many years in the medical arena.. not a Doctor….. but I understand how disempowering it can be to deal with others views/issues etc etc in their effort to "help" . They do not know everything …. they do not know the strength of YOUR spirit….. they make educated at times compassionate guesses/assumptions/decisions/advice …. HOWEVER, as has been proved many times those educated guesses/assumptions/decisions/advice do not form the totality required for healing or dignified death. STRENGTH OF SPIRIT forms the basis for life.

I wish you well. Thank-you for sharing your experience and lessons learnt. Buen Camino

Anne

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's been a year...WOW the Camino taught me so many lessons about life, and did I need them! I am still in the hospital unable to walk it's been four months now. I know it's ironic that I walked 500 miles and now can't walk five feet. My problem is not because of my walking the Camino. I live in Thailand but had to be transported back to the US, because of a back/spine problem and to add to my challenge I had a stroke in the hospital. Without my Camino experience I have no idea where I would be today.

This story is about the challenges I am facing to get the right medical care. Sure glad I have the right insurance to cover all my bills. Read about how I discovered the difference between surrendering and giving up.

My good friend Greg, sent me a note this week, Jim, you can surrender, but “never,” give up! Greg was referring to my confusing medical condition and the emotional roller coaster I have been on.

On my 56-day Camino de Santiago walking journey, I was filled with many emotions and “surrender,” was often on my mind. However, I struggled with the difference in surrendering and giving up! I looked at surrendering as a sign of weakness; a message you give to the enemy during a battle. During my walk there were days when I did surrender and crashed for the night, but the thought of giving up the journey, never entered my mind.

Although, we know, as prisoners of war, they may have held their hands up, but never totally yielded to “giving up!” They were left with one weapon, “HOPE,” and that was their answer for possible freedom.

Now, that little short message mirrors the challenges that face me, and I’m sure, some of you, it will also blend to the Butterfly story below that affects all of us.

I wonder how many doctors skipped school on the days (or months) that they were taught compassion and respect? I know they do not have an easy job and have to see so many patients in a day, just to pay their malpractice insurance.
This problem is not just the Doctors (by the way, I have found two fantastic Doctors…yes,) it also filters down to other parts of our health care system. I am very grateful that I have insurance and know the USA has some of the best health care in the world; that’s why I came back from Thailand.

For the past four months, I have been bounced around from one Doctor to another and several hospitals plus two nursing homes. The nursing home I’m in now is fantastic it is extremely efficient and is filled with compassion and respect.

Most of you know me; I am a very strong person; however, the system broke me. Besides my back/spine problem, plus the stroke, I became weak and feeble; I was broken, mentally, physically and it even affected my spiritual life. This became much more challenging than walking the Camino say... 10 times! I could not have made it through this with all the help from my family and friends. My sister Joy was always at my side....You saved me!

At one point, at the first nursing home, I was offered the option to leave, but they took my crutches and walker and the only choice I had was to crawl on my hands and knees to get out of the door; they didn't even care. They, in spite of, told me if I like Thailand so much "I should go back!" Since I was one of the few who could or would speak up for myself, I said, "You have abused me and pushed me to my limit," they said, "This is not abuse, abuse is when someone hits you," I said, "please hit me," I am sure it will be less painful. At that point this strong man, cried, I was broken and because of my blood pressure, my vision went blank. They won.... I went pass surrender; I gave up!​

This is when my Camino lessons kicked in, never give up, and I was not alone. Family and friends from around the world came to the rescue even though many did not know the situation I was in. I know this emotional abuse took a tool on me physically, my vision got worse, my spine felt more painful and the dizzy spells continued.

Today I surrender and feel I am now in the hands of knowledgeable people who can help and will try to get me back on the road to recovery. I am surrounded by medical people who care and we are all on the same team.

Now, how about the two doctors who told me, I would never get better, and my life will at no time, ever be the same? There is a possibility, they may be right! However, today, I chose not to believe that, hope is the only thing on my menu.

This is when my Camino lessons kick into overdrive; TODAY, I carry zero resentment’s against anyplace or anyone! And I guarantee you; from this experience, I learned even more lessons, which go into my Camino bank.

The man who found the cocoon had no intention to hurt anyone or anything, yet his action changed a life forever, back to the reaction thing! He could have been my Doctor?

The Butterfly surrendered and gave up; a choice we will all have to face someday.... Could the Butterfly be Me?

THE BUTTERFLY STORY

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through that little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could, and it could go no further.

So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon. The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.

Stop…don’t think…listen

The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time. Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

What the man, in his kindness and haste, did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If God allowed us to go through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. We could never fly!

Author Unknown

Jim, I have read your posts and have enjoyed them a lot. Sorry to hear about you medical problems and treatment issues. 2014 has not been a banner year for me either. I was sick for over 3 months losing 35 pounds, muscle mass, and muscle tone. The Doctors have been able to tell me what I don't have but not what I do or did have. Much better now and getting back into shape. This is the first time in my life that I have felt vulnerable and the first time my wife has seen me vulnerable. I decided early on not to let medical set backs change my life stile regardless of the risks. I'm am a proponent of use it or loose it and I refuse to grow old gracefully. Prove the doctors wrong! Tony aka Urban Trekker

Last edited:

THE BUTTERFLY STORY

Stop…don’t think…listen

Author Unknown

Thanks for sharing your experience, strength, and hope Jim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back