• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My camino from Porto. August 2014

janetonthecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Final stage of the Camino Frances - complete
Camino Portugues, from Porto - complete
My experience - Camino Portugues, coastal route:

Hi folks, I found this forum very useful when I was planning my camino so I want to add to its success by providing an overview of my camino experience. Unfortunately, I did not keep a journal during my camino so I don’t have the level of detail I would like at this point. Note 1: Keep a journal!!
clip_image001.png

There is certainly a growing interest in the Portugues coastal route, I learned this from people I met in Santiago and Finesterre who had walked other more popular routes. A lot of people did seem to be concerned about way-marking and accommodation. My experience was that way-marking was 100% & there is a variety of accommodation options. I found this camino as straightforward as the final stretch of the camino frances (from Sarria) that I did in 2012.

Regarding gradient and terrain, its pretty flat and uncomplicated the entire route & at least 60% is on trails/paths.

I walked the camino in August, which is the busiest month but still there were only a few pilgrims. The portuguese coastal route is definitely a good option if you are looking for a little solitude as you walk.

DAY 1: MATOSINHOS TO VILA DO CONDE
23kms
Start date: 03Aug14
I took the metro to the Mercado stop in Matosinhos (Porto). From the stop its 15min walk to the beach promenade where you meet the first camino sign. The boardwalk continues until about 5km shy of Vila do Conde, at this point you have the option of walking on the sand or diverting around the reserve and meeting the road.
Accommodation: Bellamar hostel. I think it was €16 & it included breakfast. It’s a very nice new hostel with attentive and interested staff.

DAY 2: VILA DO CONDE TO FAO 22kms
With my new walking partners, I walked to Fao. In hindsight walking as far as Esposende might be a better option as it will shorten the following day. In contrast to the first day there was not so much coastal walking.
Accommodation: Fao Pousada de Juventud. €6 I think! Nice clean etc. but not necessarily the most central location, again I advocate staying in Esponende.

DAY 3: FAO to VIANA DO CASTELO 27kms
Nice route, woodland paths, rivers. Again not so much coast.
Accommodation: Albergue de Peregrinos. €6. I got destroyed by bedbugs here, and woke with a nasty mosquito bite. I was unlucky though, or just far more attractive to insects than my companions as they fared much better. I would suggest if you stay here ask for disposable sheets, they were standard in all other albergues I stayed at except here, maybe it was an oversight by the guy working that night.

DAY 4: VIANA DO CASTELO TO AFIFE 18kms
We decided to split the Viana do Castel to Caminha stage and stay at Afife. One thing about splitting stages is that you are left trying to find a place to stay without much guidance & you have to leave the yellow arrow trail which can add time and confusion into proceedings. We spent about an hour wandering about Afife looking for a place to stay when we met a very nice lady who brought us to a beautiful bed and breakfast, called Casa Santa Filomena. We paid €17 each including breakfast and the house and gardens were beautiful. I would NOT recommend breaking off in Afife without having prearranged accommodation, but do try Casa Filomena (google it for details) it’s really beautiful & a great price.

DAY 5: AFIFE TO CAMINHA 16kms
I can’t remember the name of the place we stayed in Caminha, but there is an albergue and more budget options available.
From Caminha you have an option to go inland & join the Camino Central at Tui or continue up the coast. We decided to join the central route, for no apparent reason. As it happens I was always left curious about the section of coast I diverted from (Caminha – A Guarda to Vigo) & returned to walk these two stages in reverse after my stay in finesterre. I will talk about those stages in due course.

One reason for going inland during the summer months is the unavailability of the ferry crossing to A Guarda. There are however taxi boats crossing for a nominal fee, you can get info on there in the albergue or the tourist office.

DAY 6: CAMINHA to VILA NOVA DE CERVEIRA 15kms
This was another half-stage & I would recommend it for the following reasons. Vila Nova de Cerveira is a charming town and the HI hostel is nicely located and well equipped. The route is pretty, skirting the Minho river seperating Portugal from Spain.
Accommodation: Pousada de Juventud. €10

DAY 7: VILA NOVA DE CERVEIRA TO TUI 16kms
The route, in terms of situation and scenery is similar to the previous day. You have left the sea well behind at this point! Immediately prior to Tui, which is Spain, you come to Valenca. Both towns are beautiful with a vibrant tourist trade.
Accommodation: Albergue de Tui. €6. Situated very close to the cathedral. Its a bit noisy, especially on the weekend, there seems to be a nightclub nearby which naturally results in a plenty of street activity.

DAY 8: TUI TO MOS 16kms
Another half-stage. This was a very wet day and my companions, used to sunnier climes, were struggling under their sodden ponchos.
Accommodation: Mos albergue. €6. Nice bar/restaurant, a café ain the village.

DAY 9: MOS TO PONTA VEDRA 30kms
There were some very lovely woodland paths along the way but the final stretch into Ponta Vedra seems interminable.
Accommodation: Hostal Aloxa. €12. This hostel is located a couple of hundred metres after the albergue. It was bright, spotless, spacious, probably the nicest hostal I stayed in along the route.

DAY 10: PONTA VEDRA TO CALDAS DE REIS 23kms
A mixture of scenery, and as usual roads and pathways.
Accommodation: Hotel O’Cruicero. Hotel rooms converted into mini dorms. Very good facilities. Offers a really nice menu del dia.

DAY 11: CALDAS DE REIS TO PADRON 18.5kms
Accommodation: I cannot recall the name of the place we stayed here. There were quite a few budget accommodation options around the town. Padron is famous for the pimientos de padron, a must have!

DAY 12: PADRON TO SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA 25kms
Last day, early start and a nice walk. Until you get to the edge of the city and start to feel like you will never actually arrive! There are a few hills as well as you enter Santiago, which makes it a little more challenging. Of course its all worth it as soon as you come to the cathedral and meet all the other pilgrims that have made the journey. So many pilgrims are limping and bandaged or on crutches it’s a very particular experience to feel part of this communion of pilgrims.
Accommodation: The Aquario albergue. This albergue and another called ‘end of the world’ or something like that are located in the same area, and are a good distance from the centre. They have the benefit of being a gathering of all the pilgrims but the downfall is it’s a 45min walk into the centre.

After spending two nights in Santiago I walked out to Finesterre. I won’t go into detail here as it’s not the right place and that part of the camino is very well documented already. Suffice to say it is so very much worth doing this part of the camino on foot. A lot of pilgrims chose to bus it out but it’s really very beautiful and for me was a very special part of my camino. I stayed on in Finisterre for another week, as I had the time and the company and the weather was fabulous. In Finisterre I would recommend to stay at Cabo da Vila.

CAMINO IN REVERSE…..As said earlier, I walked two stages of the coastal route in reverse en route for Porto. I was very curious about the sections of coast that I had missed and my camino companions had moved on at this point so I felt some alone time would give me the opportunity to reflect on the experience.

VIGO TO BAIONA: 25kms
The first half of this journey was picturesque and along the coast. There is a lot more roadwalking than in other stages I noted. When I arrived in Baiona I discovered there was no budget accommodation available and it was august and the weekend so that made things a little more complicated. By best option was to go a further 8kms to an albergue in between Baiona and Oia. This additional 8kms opened up some spectacular coastal scenery, the nicest I had seen.
Accommodation:Albergue Aguncheiro, Mougas, Oia. €8. Very quiet spot and quite beautiful. Café/bar next door.

Hostel in Mougas OIA TO A GUARDA 24.5kms
More spectacular coastline. So happy I decided to complete these missed stages. Arriving in A Guarda is really lovely too. It’s surrounded by rugged coastline and then some quieter spots. The sort of place that would be nice to stay and explore for a few days.
Accommodation: Albergue. €6

I hope some of you find this useful in your planning. A final word of advice is, not to worry about planning so much and wait and see what turns up; that after all is the beauty of the camino, allowing yourself to escape from our routine structures and instead be free to explore the simplicity of an existence that involves nothing more than walking, eating and sleeping. Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi folks, I found this forum very useful when I was planning my camino so I want to add to its success by providing an overview of my camino experience. Unfortunately, I did not keep a journal during my camino so I don’t have the level of detail I would like at this point. Note 1: Keep a journal!!
clip_image001.png

There is certainly a growing interest in the Portugues coastal route, I learned this from people I met in Santiago and Finesterre who had walked other more popular routes. A lot of people did seem to be concerned about way-marking and accommodation. My experience was that way-marking was 100% & there is a variety of accommodation options. I found this camino as straightforward as the final stretch of the camino frances (from Sarria) that I did in 2012.

Regarding gradient and terrain, its pretty flat and uncomplicated the entire route & at least 60% is on trails/paths.

I walked the camino in August, which is the busiest month but still there were only a few pilgrims. The portuguese coastal route is definitely a good option if you are looking for a little solitude as you walk.

23kms
I took the metro to the Mercado stop in Matosinhos (Porto). From the stop its 15min walk to the beach promenade where you meet the first camino sign. The boardwalk continues until about 5km shy of Vila do Conde, at this point you have the option of walking on the sand or diverting around the reserve and meeting the road.
Accommodation: Bellamar hostel. I think it was €16 & it included breakfast. It’s a very nice new hostel with attentive and interested staff.

With my new walking partners, I walked to Fao. In hindsight walking as far as Esposende might be a better option as it will shorten the following day. In contrast to the first day there was not so much coastal walking.
Accommodation: Fao Pousada de Juventud. €6 I think! Nice clean etc. but not necessarily the most central location, again I advocate staying in Esponende.

Accommodation: Albergue de Peregrinos. €6. I got destroyed by bedbugs here, and woke with a nasty mosquito bite. I was unlucky though, or just far more attractive to insects than my companions as they fared much better. I would suggest if you stay here ask for disposable sheets, they were standard in all other albergues I stayed at except here, maybe it was an oversight by the guy working that night.

We decided to split the Viana do Castel to Caminha stage and stay at Afife. One thing about splitting stages is that you are left trying to find a place to stay without much guidance & you have to leave the yellow arrow trail which can add time and confusion into proceedings. We spent about an hour wandering about Afife looking for a place to stay when we met a very nice lady who brought us to a beautiful bed and breakfast, called Casa Santa Filomena. We paid €17 each including breakfast and the house and gardens were beautiful. I would NOT recommend breaking off in Afife without having prearranged accommodation, but do try Casa Filomena (google it for details) it’s really beautiful & a great price.

I can’t remember the name of the place we stayed in Caminha, but there is an albergue and more budget options available.
From Caminha you have an option to go inland & join the Camino Central at Tui or continue up the coast. We decided to join the central route, for no apparent reason. As it happens I was always left curious about the section of coast I diverted from (Caminha – A Guarda to Vigo) & returned to walk these two stages in reverse after my stay in finesterre. I will talk about those stages in due course.

One reason for going inland during the summer months is the unavailability of the ferry crossing to A Guarda. There are however taxi boats crossing for a nominal fee, you can get info on there in the albergue or the tourist office.

This was another half-stage & I would recommend it for the following reasons. Vila Nova de Cerveira is a charming town and the HI hostel is nicely located and well equipped. The route is pretty, skirting the Minho river seperating Portugal from Spain.

The route, in terms of situation and scenery is similar to the previous day. You have left the sea well behind at this point! Immediately prior to Tui, which is Spain, you come to Valenca. Both towns are beautiful with a vibrant tourist trade.
Accommodation: Albergue de Tui. €6. Situated very close to the cathedral. Its a bit noisy, especially on the weekend, there seems to be a nightclub nearby which naturally results in a plenty of street activity.

Another half-stage. This was a very wet day and my companions, used to sunnier climes, were struggling under their sodden ponchos.

There were some very lovely woodland paths along the way but the final stretch into Ponta Vedra seems interminable.
Accommodation: Hostal Aloxa. €12. This hostel is located a couple of hundred metres after the albergue. It was bright, spotless, spacious, probably the nicest hostal I stayed in along the route.

Accommodation: Hotel O’Cruicero. Hotel rooms converted into mini dorms. Very good facilities. Offers a really nice menu del dia.

Accommodation: I cannot recall the name of the place we stayed here. There were quite a few budget accommodation options around the town. Padron is famous for the pimientos de padron, a must have!

Last day, early start and a nice walk. Until you get to the edge of the city and start to feel like you will never actually arrive! There are a few hills as well as you enter Santiago, which makes it a little more challenging. Of course its all worth it as soon as you come to the cathedral and meet all the other pilgrims that have made the journey. So many pilgrims are limping and bandaged or on crutches it’s a very particular experience to feel part of this communion of pilgrims.
Accommodation: The Aquario albergue. This albergue and another called ‘end of the world’ or something like that are located in the same area, and are a good distance from the centre. They have the benefit of being a gathering of all the pilgrims but the downfall is it’s a 45min walk into the centre.

After spending two nights in Santiago I walked out to Finesterre. I won’t go into detail here as it’s not the right place and that part of the camino is very well documented already. Suffice to say it is so very much worth doing this part of the camino on foot. A lot of pilgrims chose to bus it out but it’s really very beautiful and for me was a very special part of my camino. I stayed on in Finisterre for another week, as I had the time and the company and the weather was fabulous. In Finisterre I would recommend to stay at Cabo da Vila.

CAMINO IN REVERSE…..As said earlier, I walked two stages of the coastal route in reverse en route for Porto. I was very curious about the sections of coast that I had missed and my camino companions had moved on at this point so I felt some alone time would give me the opportunity to reflect on the experience.

The first half of this journey was picturesque and along the coast. There is a lot more roadwalking than in other stages I noted. When I arrived in Baiona I discovered there was no budget accommodation available and it was august and the weekend so that made things a little more complicated. By best option was to go a further 8kms to an albergue in between Baiona and Oia. This additional 8kms opened up some spectacular coastal scenery, the nicest I had seen.
Accommodation:Albergue Aguncheiro, Mougas, Oia. €8. Very quiet spot and quite beautiful. Café/bar next door.

More spectacular coastline. So happy I decided to complete these missed stages. Arriving in A Guarda is really lovely too. It’s surrounded by rugged coastline and then some quieter spots. The sort of place that would be nice to stay and explore for a few days.

I hope some of you find this useful in your planning. A final word of advice is, not to worry about planning so much and wait and see what turns up; that after all is the beauty of the camino, allowing yourself to escape from our routine structures and instead be free to explore the simplicity of an existence that involves nothing more than walking, eating and sleeping. Buen camino!
Thanks for all this useful info

Great story! Oia and A guarda are most definitely a visit. As to the walk around that area, is it mostly tarmac by the road?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thankyou so much for this post. I am trying to decide whether to do the coastal Camino or in-land one next year. This is most helpful.

I'm hoping to walk the Camino Portugues next year and found that very useful and interesting. The coastal is the route I'm more likely to do, not least because of that terrifying bridge across to Tui, as there is no way on this green earth that I could even set foot on, let alone walk across, lol. Thank you very much and glad you had a great time. :)

Janetonthecamino:

Thank you for sharing this information. My plan is to walk the Portuguese in Spring 2015.

My only real concern is Language. How much Portuguese do I need to learn to get by?

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No Portugese knowledge you'll need. ! In the meantime the caminho Portuges is so common and well known that everybody you should ask to help ,can help you out.
Besides that there is SOS phonenumber of Vialusitana the Portugese Pilgrims association, if you are in serious trouble. The phonenumber you can find on this forum .
Peregrina200o , Laurie Reynolds, mentions it almost everywhere week in one of her posts.
I wonder how you coped with Spanish of French on the caminos you allready walked ?

Last edited:
We're planning to walk the camino in 2015 and have heard that the terrain is flatter on the camino portugese - a bonus for those of us with bad knees! Can anyone comment on this? Are any routes flatter than others (just starting to do my research). Thanks

We're planning to walk the camino in 2015 and have heard that the terrain is flatter on the camino portugese - a bonus for those of us with bad knees! Can anyone comment on this? Are any routes flatter than others (just starting to do my research). Thanks
Hmmm flatter ? Compared to what ?
Depending on where you start. From Lisbon to Porto there is a serious climb into Santarèm.just before Coimbra you'll meet some climbing and descending.
From Porto , beyond Ponte de Lima the Alto da Portela is a notorious climb and decending and after Redondela you'll meet some nasty descendings. But with some physical condition the Portugese is doable.
In the John Brierley guide camino Portuges you can see graphics of the various routes with their altitudes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

clip_image001.png

23kms

Hi Janet,
Good resume.
Probably you are the Janet that I have known in Tui, e in Mos in albergue dos pelegrinos.
Great that you have walk the camino "reverse".
Parabens para todo !
Alessandro

There were some big days in your report. I am getting too old for a 25 - 30 km day. I would prefer more like 20. Are there shorter stages or is it too hard to find accommodation? And I note that you have already broken some stages into shorter ones. Really good information though so thank you.

There were some big days in your report. I am getting too old for a 25 - 30 km day. I would prefer more like 20. Are there shorter stages or is it too hard to find accommodation? And I note that you have already broken some stages into shorter ones. Really good information though so thank you.
Depends on where you want to start.
From Porto it is easy to walk within 20kms every day as long as you follow the interior route to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos ,Ponte de Lima to Valença and so on.
Following the coastal from Porto ,Vila do Conde, Esposende, Viana do Castelo you'll encounter 20+ distances per day
If you start from Lisbon it will be a hard job but.. There is good news. Mario of the Santarèm hostal organised a pick up service in cooperation with 3 or four hostals/albergues so there you can walk 20 kms a day too. We did this last year without that service just by looking for public transport, a taxi etc. No problem and very relaxed.
Bom caminho

Ps in july of this year Amorfati and I published our schedule from Lisbon to Santiago with all the places we stayed
I will find it back and update it here so you will have an idea what it is like.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Depends on where you want to start.
From Porto it is easy to walk within 20kms every day as long as you follow the interior route to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos ,Ponte de Lima to Valença and so on.
Following the coastal from Porto ,Vila do Conde, Esposende, Viana do Castelo you'll encounter 20+ distances per day is
If you start from Lisbon it will be a hard job but.. There is good news. Mario of the Santarèm hostal organised a pick up service in cooperationith 3 or four hostals/albergues so there you can walk 20 kms a day too. We did this last year without that service just by looking for public transport, a taxi etc. No problem and very relaxed.
Bomiii caminho

Ps in july of this year Amorfati and I published our schedule from Lisbon to Santiago with all the places we stayed
I will find it back and update it here so you will have an idea what it is like.
That

Thank you. That is very helpful. I have been book marking posts on The Portugese route for a while but if you could repost that would be fantastic. Don't you just have to love this forum?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back