• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino miracle (long)

JudiJay

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (coastal) 2016
They say the Camino provides and, at the time, it did in small ways. Within minutes of thinking I needed a piece of elastic to solve a small problem, there it was at the side of the path. Another time a twig shaped like a cross caught my eye and it has travelled home with me.

But these are tiny things. Little did I think the Camino would save my life months after the pilgrimage.

To the beginning. In 2015 we took the dream European trip. The last one. We are getting on, we aren't wealthy people and we couldn't see ourselves making the long journey across hemispheres ever again. Nine countries in nine wonderful, whirlwind weeks. Crazy but unforgettable. Spain and Portugal captured our hearts more than anywhere else. Spain in Holy Week? What serendipitous timing.

Not long after returning, the Camino called. Compelling. I knew about the Camino but now signs seemed to appear everywhere. There was no doubt this thing had to be done. I was not a walker. I was not particularly fit. But my husband is both. I was generally healthy though. Could we manage the French route? Probably not, but the Portuguese coastal looked doable and it would mean returning to a favourite city, Porto. Research. Planning. Training. Scrimping. It's only money.

May 2016, Porto to Santiago de Compostela. It wasn't easy for a 73 and 78 year old, and I was ready to quit after a tough day 3, but I persevered to enjoy the beauty and it is without doubt the proudest achievement of my life.

September 2016. Routine surgery. Complications. Sepsis set in to ravage my body with life-threateningly low blood pressure levels and soaring temperatures. Time in ICU. A time of worry for everyone. I'm told the thing they put in my neck is called 'a direct line to God'.

But I came through. The doctors were amazed - mortality is high with older people - and said it was only because I was much fitter than most women my age. I'm still in hospital but I know I will get through this. To walk another Camino perhaps.

At the time I had no idea why the Camino call was so strong. When we returned I still didn't but was grateful. I do now. My Camino miracle.

Thank you for reading. My blog of the May Camino is here if you are interested.

Two Walk to Santiago

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Truly a Camino miracle.

Wonderful to hear that you have come through such difficult times. It must be such a relief too for your nearest and dearest.

And your Camino continues still... Rest Eat Sleep Recover...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for sharing. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Petro

Glad thst the fortitude ( and not just the physical health) you gained from the Camino came to serve you yet again. Best wishes for your healing
Nanc

@JudiJay it is so good to hear you are on the mend. The Camino has also affected my physical health in a profoundly life enhancing way. I am determined to keep walking, so I can keep walking.....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for sharing your very moving story. The spirit often overtakes the physical. I wish you continued healthy recovery and hope you are walking (slowly) again very soon....

Keep getting stronger JudiJay,

Then when you are back your old self, you can start scrimping again like lots of us, and get back for another Camino? :rolleyes:

Buen (speedy-recovery) Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Such a wonderful and inspiring story, @JudiJay, especially for those of us who are no longer kids.
I wish you all the very best--for swift healing! (And perhaps another camino?)

@JudiJay, your story shows that not all Camino miracles actually happen on the Camino itself, and reminds us that the Camino continues long after we reach Santiago de Compostela. I wish you a speedy recovery and a return to good health.

That is such a beautiful story, JudiJay. Thank you so much for sharing. You sound like you are strong in spirit and body. Wishing you all the very best for a full and speedy recovery.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They say the Camino provides and, at the time, it did in small ways. Within minutes of thinking I needed a piece of elastic to solve a small problem, there it was at the side of the path. Another time a twig shaped like a cross caught my eye and it has travelled home with me.

But these are tiny things. Little did I think the Camino would save my life months after the pilgrimage.

To the beginning. In 2015 we took the dream European trip. The last one. We are getting on, we aren't wealthy people and we couldn't see ourselves making the long journey across hemispheres ever again. Nine countries in nine wonderful, whirlwind weeks. Crazy but unforgettable. Spain and Portugal captured our hearts more than anywhere else. Spain in Holy Week? What serendipitous timing.

Not long after returning, the Camino called. Compelling. I knew about the Camino but now signs seemed to appear everywhere. There was no doubt this thing had to be done. I was not a walker. I was not particularly fit. But my husband is both. I was generally healthy though. Could we manage the French route? Probably not, but the Portuguese coastal looked doable and it would mean returning to a favourite city, Porto. Research. Planning. Training. Scrimping. It's only money.

May 2016, Porto to Santiago de Compostela. It wasn't easy for a 73 and 78 year old, and I was ready to quit after a tough day 3, but I persevered to enjoy the beauty and it is without doubt the proudest achievement of my life.

September 2016. Routine surgery. Complications. Sepsis set in to ravage my body with life-threateningly low blood pressure levels and soaring temperatures. Time in ICU. A time of worry for everyone. I'm told the thing they put in my neck is called 'a direct line to God'.

But I came through. The doctors were amazed - mortality is high with older people - and said it was only because I was much fitter than most women my age. I'm still in hospital but I know I will get through this. To walk another Camino perhaps.

At the time I had no idea why the Camino call was so strong. When we returned I still didn't but was grateful. I do now. My Camino miracle.

Thank you for reading. My blog of the May Camino is here if you are interested.

Two Walk to Santiago
Pray you come out of hospital, fit and ready to walk again: ASAP. Thanks for post.

JudiJay
You made my day
And I want to say
A big OLÉ

Keep walking young lady,It is obviously good for you
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your post...great story. Know you will be walking another Camino. All the best to you. You are an inspiration! BTW, I too feel that Porto is one of my favorite cities.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support. I am now recuperating at home, and although very tired and only able to walk short distances without exhaustion, loooking forward to being well enough to plan a gratitude Camino before too long. Meanwhile, having to time to explore this forum, which Way to choose? Thank you all again. I am sticking to the miracle story for all who will listen. Buen Camino / Bom Caminho. Judi

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.