• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

my camino packing list

madcherrylimas

I walked the camino last year from St. Jean in June, and I had a 20L backpack that weighed about 16 pounds, or 7 or so kilos. I had everything I could imagine needing (including a jar of nutella, a Spanish-English dictionary, a Spanish fan... none of which I would take again). Sometimes I thought I had too much stuff, or that I wish I had brought something else, etc., and I often wished I had come across a packing list like the one I'm about to write.

So -- it probably HAS already been written -- but I'm going to write my version of what I had, and what I would bring the next time I (hopefully) walk the camino, and hopefully someone will find this useful.

CLOTHING:
1. I brought low-top la sportiva hiking shoes that were broken in and had served me well backpacking in mountains... They were ok, definitely better than some of the heavy hiking boots I saw out there, however it was pretty unnecessary and I needlessly wore out the vibram soles on asphalt; only about 10 km of the camino actually look close to warranting hiking shoes, and even then, not really. I would have been better served with shoes with more cushion and more breathability.

The next time I go, I will either go in good running/walking shoes or in good hiking sandals, like Tevas or Merrels. I was jealous of the two people I saw in sandals. The essential thing in picking your footwear is breathability and arch, but especially breathability for avoiding blisters. (If you have arch problems, I recommend getting soles like superfeet). Many people suffer the worst pain from blisters.

2. Flipflops, of course, for showers and padding around the albergues.

3. Two shirts, one semi-niceish one and one you wouldn't mind sleeping in, and both which would be appropriate for walking in, and one or two tank tops. After each day you'll end up washing the shirt you just walked in, and it's good to have another shirt to rotate into, and a tank top to sleep in, or whatever. I brought a dress along too to wear in cities and ended up ditching it after a week.

4. One pair of shorts, one pair of long pants/convertibles, plus something for sleeping in.

5. I often wish I had brought swimwear, for all those swimming holes, the occasional albergue with a pool, and also for evening out your farmer's tan.

6. Two sets of each kind of underwear, and two pairs of light-weight wool socks. I also brought a pair of longjohns for my legs, which I used maybe once or twice for PJs.

7. A hat.

8. I had borrowed this from someone -- instead of a fleece, I had one of those warm baselayers (patagonia capilene 3 type things), and that worked beautifully and dried quicker than a fleece. When it was slightly cold (this only happened towards Galicia), I combined this with my rain jacket and it was enough.

9. A lightweight goretex rain jacket, just in case. It only rained, lightly, two days on my camino though, and only in Galicia.

FIRST AID KIT
1. Customary essentials -- a few bandaids, iodine, ibuprofin (to use sparingly at the end of the day, after walking, to reduce swelling)

Someone gave me these things my third day on the camino and I used them all throughout:
2.Needle and thread for threading your blisters to ensure they fully dry (leave in for two hours).

3. A small swissarmy type knife, but the kind that opens up into a pair of scissors (also useful for large blisters -- instead of threading them, you can cut a small triangle at the bottom of the blister, which drains it pretty well), and has a bottle opener, etc.

4. Paper bandaid --esparadrapo de papel -- but without any cotton in the middle, and about half an inch wide. It's more useful than a mole skin in preventing bandages, I found, since it lets the skin breathe -- wrap it around any at-risk areas to keep them dry and blister-less, and if you need cushioning add gauze cushioning.

5. An ace bandage

Anything else you might really need you can buy along the way, and others will have if you're in a pinch, so don't bring a huge first aid kit.

OTHERS:
1. I had a light-weight down sleeping bag, but sleeping bags don't help against bed bugs and most of the time it was so warm I just slept with my bag open. If I go again from Spring to Autumn, I would just take my silk sleeping bag liner -- the silk is woven finely enough that bed bugs can't get through. The one or two nights (I think it was) it WAS cold, the albergues I stayed in had extra blankets or sheets anyway.

2. Sarong -- which usefully doubled as a towel, a scarf, a pillow, a blanket, a skirt, whatever..

3. A rain cover for your pack.

4. A small ziplock bag for keeping your camera and chargers in, another small ziplock bag for wallet and other important things.

5. A 2L camelbak-type water bladder, and a small metal water container, for keeping extra juice or tea or whatever in.

6. A small handbag.

7. Toiletries -- normal sized stuff, plus SPF30, plus small packages of detergent that I had prepared before.

8. Journal.

(plus the other essentials, like nutella)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And you got all that into a 20 litre pack? Weighing 7 kilos? That must have felt like a cannonball on your back ... I've got more or less the same packing list (bar the Nutella and Spanish fan :D ) and I can just about fit it into the 32 litre Mountain Marathon. It's interesting that you say only 10 kms worth actually requires hiking footwear - I'm one of those who dither over Merrell walking shoes and Teva sandals. Crocs are a dead cert as the secondary pair, they can even hang on the outside of the pack, it doesn't matter if they get wet. The only thing I would add to your list is an Altus, which I have found invaluable - but then I have been on a few trial runs, the Ingles and part of the Portugues, so both in (you guessed it) Galicia, where you need good rain gear. I have also found that anything that can't do two things has to stay at home - apart from the footwear and backpack. Your packing list seems to follow the same logic.

Best of luck on your next camino!

Here is my packing list, which I have packed into a 26 ltr Aarn Liquid Agility with compact front pockets which take about 7 ltrs, this is much researched and condensed, I cannot get it more minimal than that, Gitti

Attachments

• Camino Packing List Recommendations (1).doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,743
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Many thanks for sharing your pack list. You have an anti bed bug sheet (100 grams) on your list but I have not been able to locate such an item. Can you tell me where you got it? Thanks again!

Your decision about sandals vs walking/hiking shoes might be different if you had had more rain. Walking on slippery mud and through standing water, or even on pavement in the rain does not strike me as something I would like to do in sandals.

Hi, then anti bed bug sheet is available from a place called Travelproducts in New Zealand, let me know if you can't find it on the net, cheers, Gitti

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Make your own bedbug sheet using permethrin. There are spray-on and laundry applications.

I posted my gear list on my website...its pretty good....would not change a thing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings All,

Would like some help re my packing list: (Newbie) Am heading out Friday 21 September Biarritz, SJPDP, Santiago (eventually). Still have a day or two to do some proper panic buying.

Your advice and thoughts would be welcomed. The weight is hovering between 6.5 & 7kg . However, now think will get some gaiters.

Wearing
1 bra 62
1 undies 25
Long sleeve crew neck lightweight merino 175
Fleece - long sleeve pull on zip down to sternum 275
1 merino buff 50
1 pair lightweight trousers 275
1 pair bridgedale liners 25
1 pair merino tec sock 75
Mid Lightweight goretex ½ larger hiking boot
Wide brimmed waxed hat 175
‘Go’ lingerie material money belt 25
Travel documents/money

Osprey Talon II 33L s/m 82
Osprey Hydration system 2litre 30
LifeVenture Sleeping bag (or as pad) already treated for bedbugs/mozzies/bacteria 750
Silk liner 150

1 bra 62
1 undies 25
Silk thermals 225
1 cami 75
1 merino tank top 100
1 short sleeve jewel neck merino 175
Long sleeve merino pull on zip down to sternum & up to make turtle neck 275
Trousers 300
Reversable wraparound rayon skirt 250
Sarong i.e. couple metres of silk 175
1 pair bridgedale liners 25
1 pair smartwool socks 75
Gloves fingerless merino possum 25
All this clothing carried in a 1 litre dry compression sack 50
Satchet of violette 25
Teva sandals 450
Poncho Ferrino Todomodo 525
Three section zip soft pencil case for purse 35

Plastic zip lock weighs 375 and contains
Iphone/my camera
Iphone electric plug
Electric adaptor for France/Spain

Head Lamp 35
2 black plastic bags 50
4 plastic suction hooks & length of synthetic garden twine in plastic zip case 25
Spork and three St Jacques shells 150
Hardback Journal & biro 250
Small leather bag containing six small gifts 125
Number of pressed four, five & six leafed clovers for gifts – no weight!
(There is a place nr my village where if one looks, one finds)

Toiletries
Muslin 2 metres for towel 125
Hair products 150
ZLock with toothbrush/trial toothpaste, dental floss, factor 50, deodorant, lipstick/mascara 225
ZLock with partial roll of toilet paper 50

First Aid Kit
ZLock weighing 200 & contains
Safety pins
Tweezers
Nail clippers (small)
Knife/scissors (small)
Satchets of Dioralyte
Rescue remedy cream (tube partially used)
Rescue remedy tincture bottle
Aspirin
2 Compeed plastic holders containing various compeed sizes & 1 needle & thread

Maps & Info
Brierly book 275 lots of info
OR
Michelin book Just maps/routes 100

Questioning whether to take these or not??
1 pair 1000 mile lined socks 100 (?? Re other socks)
Pull on waterproof trousers 250 (?? ie have the poncho)
Emergency Road Jacket
Yellow rain cover in sack 85 (?? ie have the poncho)
Onya sack small 50 (??take plastic bag for shopping)
Do I need a wind/rain jacket (ie have the poncho?)

Ok, will look forward to hearing advice / feedback,

Thanks in advance!

Blessings to all,

Francesca

falcon269 said:
Make your own bedbug sheet using permethrin. There are spray-on and laundry applications.
I sprayed my sleeping bag inside and out with pyrethrum and didn't get bitten. My companion did though!
If your shoes fit, do you need thick socks? I managed with two pairs of liner socks. They dry on your pack the next day.
Pants and bras x 2. Take a bikini that can double as emergency underwear!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My pack is listed as a 39 liter (46 including all pockets) but I didn't come close to filling it completely.

I took a lot of clothes but tried to reduce weight on the big items - mainly the pack and my sleeping bag. Most of my clothes were ultra lightweight as well.

I rarely carried more than a half liter of water at a time.

The total weight of everything I took was 6.5 kilos.

I will walk another camino in May and will bring the exact packing list as before. It was perfect.

Attachments

• Final Camino Packing List.xlsx
    45.6 KB · Views: 473
Here is my packing list, which I have packed into a 26 ltr Aarn Liquid Agility with compact front pockets which take about 7 ltrs, this is much researched and condensed, I cannot get it more minimal than that, Gitti

Hi Gitti

Thank you so much for reproducing your Camino list here. I had my list done but looking at yours I have now added a few more items. I just have 2 questions...
1. What about a roll up Matt in case there is a need to sleep outdoors. They are big but light 10oz/292g.
2. What did your pack weigh?

I am leaving from SJPDP late May for Santiago. Really appreciate everyone's contribution here on the forum.

Thanks all.

Frances

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.