• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino My Camino started Sept 8, 2021

So finally made it to Santiago. The last 12 miles were fun lots of singing along the way from groups. Easy enough final day took around 4+ hours to arrive. When you get to Santiago it’s such a long walk in from the outskirts of town took forever. Felt elated, emotional, satisfied arriving. When we got to the main square there was however a slight disappointment. My perfect end was to walk into the cathedral and touch the statue of St James. 2 things thwarted that. You can not take backpacks into the cathedral and no one gave us a tip that you can leave them outside, ( which you can), so we felt we couldn’t go straight in before checking into our accommodation and unloading our packs. Then when we finally made it into the cathedral the door where you pass the James statue is not in use currently and the statue is cordoned off so you can’t get to touch it or the architects statue. Sled didn’t get to complete any of the usual rituals which was such a shame. We missed the opportunity to get out Compostela yesterday as we were too late but this morning went back at 9 and after an hours queuing we got it! Feels strange not to be walking today and will take time to readjust to normal life. Wonderful experience so pleased I did it. If anyone wants any hostel recommendations or tips happy to help others planning. You all will LOvE it!
You did it! What an amazing accomplishment. So sorry you didn't get to touch the St James statue at the end but from what I have read of your wonderful journey I'm sure St. James touched you. Bravo well done!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Camino
So, after over a month away from home indulging myself on this journey, it’s finally over. In stats it meant travelling a journey of 500 miles, walking an average of 16 miles a day, burning an average of 4000 calories per day, and climbing over 13000 metres during the walk. It’s certainly a long walk, with a couple of pretty challenging days, day 1 in particularly, but it’s absolutely achievable by most people of reasonable fitness, though only 25% of people starting where I did manage to make it all the way through to the end, and blisters and injuries can always intervene. But if anyone was thinking I would like to do it, but not sure I can, you absolutely can. You just need to free the time up to do it.
Setting aside the practicalities of doing the walk and the stats of the walk, what are my final reflections and what do I take away from this experience?
For over a month I’ve thought of little else but the walk, the day I’m on, and have absolutely lived in the moment. For clearing your mind it’s hard to beat.
I haven’t come back with any life changing lightbulb moments but I wasn’t looking for them, I’m happy with where my life is, but I know for many people it does provide that opportunity.
For me my Camino was immersing myself in a new experience, pushing myself, seeing new places, walking through awesome landscapes, living in a different culture, but above all, meeting new people with new perspectives and stories I’ve never heard before. That will be my lasting memory of this trip.
People warned me that you experience a strange and powerful emotion at the end of this walk, and I get it, you do. Despite all the joy of looking forward to seeing my family and friends again back in the UK , I’m sad it’s now over. Along the walk, I met people who had done this walk multi times, and right up until the last week, I kept asking why you would want to do that? I now know why. I think I will be back.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.