• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino training

Mark H

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
Hi All
Im planning my first Camino for 2022.
Starting from SJJP on the May 16th, and hoping to arrive in Santiago on June 19th my 58 birthday.
I live in the hill in Mid Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 UK, our house is at the bottom of the valley so I have some very good ascents up into the hills to train on.
I am currently doing 12 to 15 kilometres a day with my trusty friend Bryan.
I have posted a few photos of the terrain I’m walking it is very wet and muddy at the moment BFC4A57D-272A-4478-BD93-FA6A80B5C1B6.jpeg4349BEB3-87F1-4520-90AF-737920322577.jpeg88CDA9CF-6998-4B7C-914E-E1CF0E60ECAC.jpeg

Attachments

• A9BB544E-0B81-404C-9A3A-22B5977A2C44.jpeg
    A9BB544E-0B81-404C-9A3A-22B5977A2C44.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 89
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi All
Starting from SJJP on the May 16th, and hoping to arrive in Santiago on June 19th my 58 birthday.
I live in the hill in Mid Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 UK, our house is at the bottom of the valley so I have some very good ascents up into the hills to train on.
I have posted a few photos of the terrain I’m walking it is very wet and muddy at the moment View attachment 115668View attachment 115674View attachment 115676
Looking good just now. As the weather improves (?) towards your departure date I would be stretching it out to 15 - 18 km but perhaps only every second day - you don't want to leave it all on the training field. Also make sure that you are training in the shoes that you intend to wear in Spain and start doing your training carrying the weight that you will be toting on the Camino.

Hi All
I have posted a few photos of the terrain I’m walking it is very wet and muddy at the moment View attachment 115668View attachment 115674View attachment 115676
Beautiful pictures, you have a camino right in your own backyard! Good Luck, and Buen Camino!

Also, from a lesson I learned the hard way, I would recommend picking a horrid wet and rainy day and making a short trip with your wet weather gear and see how you survive.
I learned that not all that claims to be waterproof, will actually stop your gear from getting soaked.
I also learned that some things which may be actually waterproof are either too hot or too heavy.

You should expect to get wet, but your important gear shouldn't.

(This year I will be trying waterproof socks for the first time)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi All
I live in Florida (@sea level)😂 Completed my 1st Camino in November, 2021. It was hard but I made it. You are way better prepared than I was. Have fun! I hope to walk again in May too.

Also, from a lesson I learned the hard way, I would recommend picking a horrid wet and rainy day and making a short trip with your wet weather gear and see how you survive.
I learned that not all that claims to be waterproof, will actually stop your gear from getting soaked.
I also learned that some things which may be actually waterproof are either too hot or too heavy.

We have plenty of horrid wet days here in Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Gortex every time

Last edited:
Looking good just now. As the weather improves (?) towards your departure date I would be stretching it out to 15 - 18 km but perhaps only every second day - you don't want to leave it all on the training field. Also make sure that you are training in the shoes that you intend to wear in Spain and start doing your training carrying the weight that you will be toting on the Camino.
last autumn I was doing longer hikes 25 plus km with my Bergen packed , I will get back to longer distance over the next couple of months

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi All
Sounds great. Do you train with a weighted pack?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Frank
When I increase the hike distance I will use fully packed Bergen
Hi mark

You sound military. I use a slightly modified Vahalla ALICE pack. Very comfortable and weight does not seem to be a significant issue - unless I don't keep up the training. I do like the feeling of walking distance under load. Hope your training is fun and helpful.

Hi All
I think your daily walks are plenty of training. I am sure you know to break in your shoes and you could walk with your pack. I think you are good to go. Pack light and walk at your own pace just like home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi. Just saw your reply and yes although it is a few months old I have to agree. Last month l,on the Portuguese, I brought my 180 euro jacket to be safe and it was heavy to carry. On the one day I needed it the hood was completely saturated with rain dripping down my back and neck. Last year I had a 20 euro Mac in a sac which kept me dry on two crazy rain days so for the sake of possibly getting a bit wet definitely try out any rain gear you intend bringing. That being said I never bring waterproof shoes as for the most part Gortex is too heavy and sweaty for most Camino walking. Daniel

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.