• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Un-Packing List – The gear I had on reaching Santi

uk2us

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2012)
Camino Frances travel dates: September 5th – October 10th - 62 yr Female

• 1. Backpack – Gossamer Gear Murmur Hyperlite (205 grams!) and a figure 8 carabiner
    2. Boots – Merrell Mid Moab Goretex
    3. Hat – Cotton/mesh with 2” brim
    4. 2 infinity scarves – rayon (see notes)
    5. Fleece – (heavy) – The North Face – Polartec
    6. Fleece – light – Under Armor
    7. T-Shirts: 1 long-sleeved Under Armor, 1 short sleeved UA
    8. Shirt - Columbia light weight short/long sleeve
    9. Leggings
    10. 2 Pants/Shorts – Columbia Convertible light weight
    11. 1 disposable cellulose single sheet and pillowcase (purchased in Albergue on Way)
    12. 1 Silk Sleeping Bag Liner treated with Permethion
    13. Underwear/Socks in Ziploc Bag: 3 synthetic panties, 2 bras, 2 pairs Thorlo hiking socks, 1 pair Wigwam liner socks
    14. Microfiber Higear Body Towel in nylon/mesh pack
    15. Lg. PakTowl towel with mesh bag (see notes)
    16. 1 8X10 Coghlans nylon/mesh bag with sundries: extra Ziploc bags, 2 pocket packs tissues, replacement straps for backpack, tiny roll duct tape (repairs?), Swiss Army knife (credit card size), Kindle, zip bag with: charger for Kindle & phone, earphones and screen/glass cleaning cloth; replacement shower gel/shampoo/toothpaste/body lotion (purchased in travel size as needed along Way), spork, extra earplugs, foot file, small nail brush , hotel shoe cleaning sponge, medication refills, spare reading glasses, 2 nail files and nail cleaner, and first aid kit in zip-loc containing: Neosporin (antiseptic gel), plasters, small gauze pads, paper first aid tape, Compeed plasters, needles and thread, Vaseline, Tylenol
    17. 1 4X7.5 Coghlans nylon/mesh bag with toiletries: toothbrush/paste, deodorant, shower gel, shampoo, folding comb/brush, mirror & tweezers, universal sink plug, container with safety pins (laundry) and 2 clothes pegs (couldn’t use safety pins on UA t-shirts!)
    18. Rick Steve’s silk travel wallet (worn around waist) with Ziploc containing: passport, credencial, stash cash, credit card, debit card, boarding passes for outward flight, local telephone contract and home SIM card
    19. The North Face 2-season sleeping bag (940 grams)
    20. Croc “clogs”
    21. Ziploc with sunglasses, small notebooks, pen, sunscreen (in one Croc)
    22. Gloves (in other Croc)
    23. Mesh bag (from PakTowl) with: two lengths cord (for laundry, etc.) headlamp, earplugs in container
    24. Alltus Ultralight Rain Poncho
    25. 2X500 ml water bottles
    26. Sandwich, snacks, fruit
    27. Brierley Camino Guide
    28. 4 Pockets in Pants contained: a) comb, tissues, chapstick, body lotion – b) cash and coins – c) day’s walking stage from guidebook, watch, medication – d) I-phone in a cloth baggie to prevent scratches (used also as camera)
Total weight including 1 liter water: about 6.400 kilos/14.1 lbs

Notes:

This list includes everything I took with me – at any given time I was wearing part of the list.

1. This is the lightest backpack on the market. It has one main “sack”, one large mesh pocket in front, two side mesh pockets and top/bottom mesh pockets at back. In the back mesh I used the PackTowl (#15) folded in four to provide cushioning and to absorb perspiration (easily washed along way). In the side pockets I carried water, the guidebook and food. In the front mesh I packed the Crocs and gear # 20 – 24 and still had space for fleece as I removed layers during the day. This manner of packing meant that any gear that may be needed instantly was always available at hand. All other gear packed in main compartment, except sleeping bag which fit on top of main compartment and secured by top flap and elastic cord threaded through backpack loops. I found that packing the fleece rolled-up at the bottom of the sack made a sturdy base for the rest of the gear.

2. My boots were fantastic. Wore them with the Thorlo socks and never had problems. Proved to be waterproof on the five rainy days of the trip. I followed someone’s advice on this Forum to file my feet every day and then moisturize after the shower. To be perfectly honest I had one blister: extra skin always grows on one of my toes. One day I thought a blister was forming on that toe, put a Compeed on it and goodness, the next day a blister had been caused BY the Compeed on the toe next to it! Probably the only person who has had a blister caused by a Compeed!

3. Hat was great in sun, wind and rain. Never blew off.

4. I used one scarf around my neck (absorbed perspiration) and the other was used folded as extra cushioning under the backpack straps. Also useful as a skirt/cover-up.

7. I slept in a t-shirt and panties, using the leggings as the climate got colder.

11. In the albergues I always used the disposables on top of mattress/pillow. I used two sets during the trip.

13. I used the sock liners in the evenings and twice when my Thorlos were not dry.

16. Every day I brushed my boots with the nail brush to prevent the Goretex from clogging with the dust in order to conserve the breathability of the boots. The hotel shoe cleaner was used to clean the boots when it had been raining/muddy. The toiletries were replaced as necessary (not all at once!) Never needed the gear/backpack repair items. I did take my Kindle – and found time to read nearly every afternoon – a good way to unwind after a hike. I wish that Brierley would revise his thinking about electronics – it would be very handy to have a digital version of the guidebook either on the phone or Kindle. They do not currently exist in digital format.

23. On two occasions (Iron Cross and O Cebreiro) I forwarded my backpack by courier because of the expected climb. The mesh bag was exactly the right size to carry a water bottle in – so I improvised a sling with the laundry cord – and I could carry it across my body – hands free!

No toe nail cutters – I followed the example of the film and treated myself to a pedicure in Leon!

No walking sticks – I could not carry them as cabin baggage on my flight. I found that I handled the hike well even without them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Lise T. for the comment. I used the file gently on my entire sole - I think it really contributed to making my hike foot-problem free!

I forgot to mention that I had a small pack of dental floss!

With the exception of the Altus poncho all my equipment was purchased in the USA.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
uk2us said:
I wish that Brierley would revise his thinking about electronics – it would be very handy to have a digital version of the guidebook either on the phone or Kindle. They do not currently exist in digital format.
Since you mentioned the iPhone in your list, I noted a post elsewhere by someone who had used the iPhone to photograph every page of Brierley and so eliminated carrying the book and also could zoom in as necessary. Yes, it would take some work. Would it be worth it? Individual call, I suppose. Just a tho't. :arrow:

Thank you for this! I just bought a pair of boots - just the type you did, one of the only leather-free boots available... And I found this list looking if anyone used the Mumur Hyperlight on the Camino and had a positive experience with it! So... This is incredibly helpful to me. Thank you.

I don't know if you still read comments, but did you find the sleeping bag useful, or do you think you could have done without it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What a Great! post! and a great idea, to write an unpacking list .. love it!!
... And no need to 'umulate' excess gear on The Way, David! ;)
uk2us - thanks for this really helpful post. I've copied your list and I'll use it next year - it sure works for me.
Cheers - Jenny

I echo the thoughts/ comments of others ... an 'unpacking' list is very helpful. Thank you.
Suzanne :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No I didn't use an app, I scanned each page using my printer/scanner. It was a laborious job. Fact is that having walked the Frances before I hardly used it and probably didn't really need to even then. Still I suppose it was reassuring to have the information if I needed it without the weight. (I confess to having a bit of a thing about getting the weight down (I am now at 2.8K). It's just a pity that I can't be so successful with my body weight! :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No Suzanne, that is with 2 empty 600ml water bottles and no food. I'm pretty pleased myself as this has been one of the challenges to myself over my caminos of letting go of my preconceived concepts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am always in awe of the people who manage to get such low pack weight, but I have essentially given up -- I find I have lost the motivation to reduce the weight since I have had no problems ever with a pack weighing probably 16, 18 pounds or even more. When it starts giving me back or knee problems, I'll return to the pack weight issue, but till then I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just one less thing to obsess about.

For those of you who want to slash your pack weight, though, I'd just sound a note of caution about these extra light packs. They work fine for lots of people, and I have walked with people who carry them happily, but I just can't use them. I have tried walking with several of them over the years. The absence of a mechanism to transfer the weight of the pack contents from my back to my hips means that within a few hours, even though my pack is much lighter, my back is aching. All I'm saying is that before you start your camino with one of them, make sure your back will tolerate their construction. Buen camino, Laurie

Great list, uk2us!

As to info:
I am following, slowly and laboriously, in Al of Wolverhampton's footsteps with storing information.
I have had both St Brierley guide spirally re-bound so as to make double-page scanning slightly easier.
ditto with the MMD book.
Other people's advice recommendations, on this site and elsewhere, I have saved to to my iPhone, iPad mini as well as to the Cloud.
This, I admit, is overkill but, hey, belt and braces etc.....!

As to pack weight:
Mine and the contents are not too dissimilar to uk2us other than my pack which weighs about 900g more.

As to:
Travel distances, in the first five days, I do not intend to walk more than 70K
Then a rest day
Thereafter, whilst I will possibly increase the distances, I will never walk more than 4 or 5 days without a rest day.

A good word of caution as ever Laurie. I experimented with an ultra light day pack in my last trip this year but for the very reason you mention I am now going to try with a Talon 6 lumber pack. Ready for a trial as soon as my PF improves.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No I didn't use an app, I scanned each page using my printer/scanner. It was a laborious job. Fact is that having walked the Frances before I hardly used it and probably didn't really need to even then. Still I suppose it was reassuring to have the information if I needed it without the weight. (I confess to having a bit of a thing about getting the weight down (I am now at 2.8K). It's just a pity that I can't be so successful with my body weight! :(
Goodness! 2.8K? You're the Light Weight Pack God! Have you posted your packing list somewhere? I guess there are apps that would scan this directly onto the iPhone, although it seems like it would take a lot of space to do so. I'm still thinking through the whole phone/no phone thing. I'd like my phone with me for the GPS, camera, reading (although that seems laborious on an iPhone), and the ability to call for help, but I so don't want to be fielding calls and texts from home or clients.

I love the silsac for round town and post walking but find it too sweaty against my back for 'all day' walking, so will stick with my pack which has an airflow back. Still work at keeping the weight down as far as possible as I would rather carry it than send it ahead. Currently at 5kgs with empty water bottles and no food - includes clothes, towel, waterproofs and other essentials but no sleeping bag or liner.

Just for you Luminaria

Lumbar pack (with 2x600ml bottles) containing:-
Towel, toothbrush/paste/floss, razor, shaving stick, all-purpose liquid shampoo/soap, comb
Nappy pins
Silk bag liner
Glass case
Vaseline, compeed, plasters, scissors, tweezers, nail clippers/file
Spare plastic food bags in ziplock
Attacthed to top on pack
Pair of sandals
Three bags attached to Lumbar pack
1 Drybag containing one set of clothes (On back of pack)
2 Mesh bag containing waterprroof (On one side)
3 Drybag containing Soft shell jacket (On top of pack)
Waist pockets
1 Chewing gum, lip balm, thin gloves and Buff and a 38gm daybag which packs very small and into which everything else goes into to go on the plane
2 nuts/raisins/chewing gum
Trouser pockets
Passport, credential(s), bank cards, insurance cards and phone

So in hot weather all of this at 2.8K, in wet only 2.1K. I have yet to trial it on a long walk but I it feels comfortable, balanced and easy to work with.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just for you Luminaria

Towel, toothbrush/paste/floss, razor, shaving stick, all-purpose liquid shampoo/soap, comb
Nappy pins
Silk bag liner
Glass case
Attacthed to top on pack
Pair of sandals
Waist pockets
1 Chewing gum, lip balm, thin gloves and Buff and a 38gm daybag which packs very small and into which everything else goes into to go on the plane
Trouser pockets

So in hot weather all of this at 2.8K, in wet only 2.1K. I have yet to trial it on a long walk but I it feels comfortable, balanced and easy to work with.

Hey Al - once you've 'geared up' for that long walk, what about a selfie so we can all be full of admiration - and green with envy!:D

Cheers! Jenny

Just for you Luminaria

Nappy pins
Silk bag liner
Glass case
Attacthed to top on pack
Pair of sandals
Waist pockets
Trouser pockets

Awesome! Thank you. I'm going to have to compare this to a couple other lists I've come across and figure out what you've decided to do without. I know I'll be much happier with a lighter pack.

Just for you Luminaria

Nappy pins
Silk bag liner
Glass case
Attacthed to top on pack
Pair of sandals
Waist pockets
Trouser pockets

Al,

Can you post photos of this rig all assembled? Perhaps attached to a human?

Intellectually, I follow what you are explaining, but I need to see a photo from the front, and another from the rear to fully comprehend it. One photo worth 1,000 words...

It reminds me of the old-style US military web gear-based, butt-pack gear carrying system we used until the late 1970s or early 1980s. As most of our "activity" was in jungle areas, the gear was stashed around the waist, front, sides and rear, to reduce temperatures.

Thanks,

Tom

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Al,

Can you post photos of this rig all assembled? Perhaps attached to a human?

Intellectually, I follow what you are explaining, but I need to see a photo from the front, and another from the rear to fully comprehend it. One photo worth 1,000 words...

It reminds me of the old-style US military web gear-based, butt-pack gear carrying system we used until the late 1970s or early 1980s. As most of our "activity" was in jungle areas, the gear was stashed around the waist, front, sides and rear, to reduce temperatures.

Thanks,

Tom

I look forward to seeing those photos too Al.

Though I have never physically written an un-packinglist, I always edit my nerdy spreadsheet when I come home and I like the idea of having two printed lists to compare! I came back 48 hours ago and have already reduced my can-do, dry-and-warm-in-all-weathers, minimal list by 2 kgs from skin out. Admittedly I bought a new lightweight Altus in the Peregrinoteca in Sarria en route and I have ordered an even smaller pack to see if it is doable to do a camino with five litres less ... but mostly the weight saving comes from removing or exchanging what was not used on my last walk, what didn't work hard enough or didn't work well enough with the rest of the kit. I bow in awe of Al the Optimist (Al the Optimal packer?) as my pack weight now, on paper, is down to 6.9 kgs FSO, 5.2 in the pack less water, with sleeping bag. Now all I need is the time and money to do it again ...

Though I have never physically written an un-packinglist, I always edit my nerdy spreadsheet when I come home and I like the idea of having two printed lists to compare!

would you be willing to share your new and old list so I can see what you intend on bringing and how you reduced your weight? If your not comfortable don't worry about it. I.m trying to reckon how to get my weight under 7 kgs.

Mark

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No problem but I will have to transcribe it from the very messy spreadsheet - I will post it tomorrow. The previous list is now gone due to editing but I know what was there as most of my kit is still in the pack...

Here goes:

Packing list Camino 2014, FSO (From skin out)
Osprey Aura 35 – 1150 (new pack Osprey Tempest 30L, 850)
Down sleeping bag in drybag - 680
Altus rain poncho – 450 (new Altus 225)
Rab Wisp pertex wind jacket - 200
Salomon trail shoes - 1200
Teva Terra Fi sandals – 570 (Lite version 440)
Silnylon messenger bag - 70

Craghoppers Kiwi Pro trousers – 380 (replaced with skirt, 260)
Merino long sleeve top - 215
2x Merino T-shirts – 270
Icebreaker merino dress – 250 (replaced by vest top, 100)
Merino cardigan – 195 (might replace with fleece jacket)
2x Wool tights – 280 (one replaced by running tights, same weight-ish)
Buff, hair band, sarong – 275 (sarong used for curtain, pillow case, sheet, skirt, scarf, sitmat, spare towel and wrap for changing after shower)
Socks and underwear in drybag – 300

Wash bag and towel – 560 (small shampoo, brush/mirror compact, skin cream, sun cream, pilgrim unguento for feet, tooth paste and tooth brush, toilet paper, microfiber towel 100g)
Medicines, sundries and electricals – 250 (ibuprofen, tummy tabs, plasters, savlon, nail scissors, Vaseline, charger, safety pins)
Cross body bag for valuables – 830 (with Kindle, now 510)

Un-packing list FSO weight: 8125, revised weight FSO: 6880, a saving of 1245 grammes!
Hope this can help someone, please ask or comment if anything seems unclear, missing or baffling ... There is a rogue small flashlight there as well, bought last minute, about 30 g.

Last edited:
Helps a lot for me ....... as I suspected a 35L pack which is easy enough to get and the best place to start. Thanks nidarosa! You carry your solomon shoes in your pack? I was thinking about carrying light weight cross trainers that weight too and an iPad mini with electrical plugs. If I could get under 8 kgs as I weight 100kgs I think I am ahead of last year. Also did you use walking poles/sticks?

Thanks Uk2us too ....... I am watching these threads closely for equipment as last year I set out with 11 kgs and ran into all sorts of problems. To me this is one of those small details if taken care of right up front will increase our chances of an injury free Camino.

Mark

Hi Mark - the list is FSO, from skin out, so I am wearing some of the things on the list: the Salomons, socks and underwear, the walking trousers (now skirt and tights), one of the T-shirts, and if it's cold or damp the long sleeve top and the wind jacket or rain poncho too. I had two buffs, one merino which I wore around my neck in the mornings to add warmth. Normally 1.5-2 kgs of the list is being worn, leaving a pack weight of about 5 kgs.

I carried the sandals, sleeping bag and spare clothes in the bag and still had room to spare, hence the 30 litre Osprey Tempest I ordered yesterday. Can't say yet if it will work as I haven't received it, but fingers crossed! I also carried a bottle of water and some peanuts or chocolate, but not much. I prefer to eat and drink when I get to a bar, or if I decide to have a picnic I buy food and then try to sit down and eat it as soon as possible so I don't have to carry the extra weight very far. I don't use a hiking pole as it would mean checking the bag and that defeats the object. If I should need one I will buy one in Spain but I prefer to walk without them.

EDIT: The Tempest has arrived and I could easily fit the lot in there with room to spare for a bocadillo etc. (In fact I managed to get everything into a 20 litre, but then it was crammed full.) The minimalist padding on the pack seems sufficient when the weight is so low, but I will test it this weekend. It is small enough to take as carry-on, unlike the Aura which has a stiff frame.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1. This is the lightest backpack on the market. .

Actually Zpack has a pack that size at which starts at 113 grams, for any weight watchers out there. . You can add all sorts of options and still be lighter.

I use their full frame pack, however, because the comfort and ventilation is worth the weight to me.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK here are two photos. My softshell is in the green drybag, my waterproof coat is in the mesh bag art the side, and my clothes are in the black drybag on the back of the lumbar pack. I hope this is what you are looking for.

View attachment 14253 View attachment 14254

Al:

So, how do you manage to keep it up and snug about your waist, as opposed to around your ankles? I am sort of "pear-shaped." So, even if I could replicate what you succeeded in doing so well, I would have to figure out some should support arrangement. Trouser waists and belts are a never-ending source of irritation for me. Worn too high, one looks dorky, and it is not comfortable. Worn too low, gravity takes over, and "down we go." Without a shoulder strap of some sort I would be tripping every half-kilometer.

Thanks for the photos.

Thanks Lise T. for the comment. I used the file gently on my entire sole - I think it really contributed to making my hike foot-problem free!

I forgot to mention that I had a small pack of dental floss!

With the exception of the Altus poncho all my equipment was purchased in the USA.

Buen Camino!

What film are you referring to?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino Frances travel dates: September 5th – October 10th - 62 yr Female

• 1. Backpack – Gossamer Gear Murmur Hyperlite (205 grams!) and a figure 8 carabiner
    2. Boots – Merrell Mid Moab Goretex
    3. Hat – Cotton/mesh with 2” brim
    4. 2 infinity scarves – rayon (see notes)
    5. Fleece – (heavy) – The North Face – Polartec
    6. Fleece – light – Under Armor
    7. T-Shirts: 1 long-sleeved Under Armor, 1 short sleeved UA
    8. Shirt - Columbia light weight short/long sleeve
    9. Leggings
    10. 2 Pants/Shorts – Columbia Convertible light weight
    11. 1 disposable cellulose single sheet and pillowcase (purchased in Albergue on Way)
    12. 1 Silk Sleeping Bag Liner treated with Permethion
    13. Underwear/Socks in Ziploc Bag: 3 synthetic panties, 2 bras, 2 pairs Thorlo hiking socks, 1 pair Wigwam liner socks
    14. Microfiber Higear Body Towel in nylon/mesh pack
    15. Lg. PakTowl towel with mesh bag (see notes)
    16. 1 8X10 Coghlans nylon/mesh bag with sundries: extra Ziploc bags, 2 pocket packs tissues, replacement straps for backpack, tiny roll duct tape (repairs?), Swiss Army knife (credit card size), Kindle, zip bag with: charger for Kindle & phone, earphones and screen/glass cleaning cloth; replacement shower gel/shampoo/toothpaste/body lotion (purchased in travel size as needed along Way), spork, extra earplugs, foot file, small nail brush , hotel shoe cleaning sponge, medication refills, spare reading glasses, 2 nail files and nail cleaner, and first aid kit in zip-loc containing: Neosporin (antiseptic gel), plasters, small gauze pads, paper first aid tape, Compeed plasters, needles and thread, Vaseline, Tylenol
    17. 1 4X7.5 Coghlans nylon/mesh bag with toiletries: toothbrush/paste, deodorant, shower gel, shampoo, folding comb/brush, mirror & tweezers, universal sink plug, container with safety pins (laundry) and 2 clothes pegs (couldn’t use safety pins on UA t-shirts!)
    18. Rick Steve’s silk travel wallet (worn around waist) with Ziploc containing: passport, credencial, stash cash, credit card, debit card, boarding passes for outward flight, local telephone contract and home SIM card
    19. The North Face 2-season sleeping bag (940 grams)
    20. Croc “clogs”
    21. Ziploc with sunglasses, small notebooks, pen, sunscreen (in one Croc)
    22. Gloves (in other Croc)
    23. Mesh bag (from PakTowl) with: two lengths cord (for laundry, etc.) headlamp, earplugs in container
    24. Alltus Ultralight Rain Poncho
    25. 2X500 ml water bottles
    26. Sandwich, snacks, fruit
    27. Brierley Camino Guide
    28. 4 Pockets in Pants contained: a) comb, tissues, chapstick, body lotion – b) cash and coins – c) day’s walking stage from guidebook, watch, medication – d) I-phone in a cloth baggie to prevent scratches (used also as camera)
Total weight including 1 liter water: about 6.400 kilos/14.1 lbs

Notes:

This list includes everything I took with me – at any given time I was wearing part of the list.

1. This is the lightest backpack on the market. It has one main “sack”, one large mesh pocket in front, two side mesh pockets and top/bottom mesh pockets at back. In the back mesh I used the PackTowl (#15) folded in four to provide cushioning and to absorb perspiration (easily washed along way). In the side pockets I carried water, the guidebook and food. In the front mesh I packed the Crocs and gear # 20 – 24 and still had space for fleece as I removed layers during the day. This manner of packing meant that any gear that may be needed instantly was always available at hand. All other gear packed in main compartment, except sleeping bag which fit on top of main compartment and secured by top flap and elastic cord threaded through backpack loops. I found that packing the fleece rolled-up at the bottom of the sack made a sturdy base for the rest of the gear.

2. My boots were fantastic. Wore them with the Thorlo socks and never had problems. Proved to be waterproof on the five rainy days of the trip. I followed someone’s advice on this Forum to file my feet every day and then moisturize after the shower. To be perfectly honest I had one blister: extra skin always grows on one of my toes. One day I thought a blister was forming on that toe, put a Compeed on it and goodness, the next day a blister had been caused BY the Compeed on the toe next to it! Probably the only person who has had a blister caused by a Compeed!

3. Hat was great in sun, wind and rain. Never blew off.

4. I used one scarf around my neck (absorbed perspiration) and the other was used folded as extra cushioning under the backpack straps. Also useful as a skirt/cover-up.

7. I slept in a t-shirt and panties, using the leggings as the climate got colder.

11. In the albergues I always used the disposables on top of mattress/pillow. I used two sets during the trip.

13. I used the sock liners in the evenings and twice when my Thorlos were not dry.

16. Every day I brushed my boots with the nail brush to prevent the Goretex from clogging with the dust in order to conserve the breathability of the boots. The hotel shoe cleaner was used to clean the boots when it had been raining/muddy. The toiletries were replaced as necessary (not all at once!) Never needed the gear/backpack repair items. I did take my Kindle – and found time to read nearly every afternoon – a good way to unwind after a hike. I wish that Brierley would revise his thinking about electronics – it would be very handy to have a digital version of the guidebook either on the phone or Kindle. They do not currently exist in digital format.

23. On two occasions (Iron Cross and O Cebreiro) I forwarded my backpack by courier because of the expected climb. The mesh bag was exactly the right size to carry a water bottle in – so I improvised a sling with the laundry cord – and I could carry it across my body – hands free!

No toe nail cutters – I followed the example of the film and treated myself to a pedicure in Leon!

No walking sticks – I could not carry them as cabin baggage on my flight. I found that I handled the hike well even without them.

Here goes:

Packing list Camino 2014, FSO (From skin out)
Osprey Aura 35 – 1150 (new pack 850)
Down sleeping bag in drybag - 680
Altus rain poncho – 450 (new Altus 225)
Rab Wisp pertex wind jacket - 200
Salomon trail shoes - 1200
Teva Terra Fi sandals – 570 (Lite version 440)
Silnylon messenger bag - 70

Craghoppers Kiwi Pro trousers – 380 (replaced with skirt, 260)
Merino long sleeve top - 215
2x Merino T-shirts – 270
Icebreaker merino dress – 250 (replaced by vest top, 100)
Merino cardigan – 195 (might replace with fleece jacket)
2x Wool tights – 280 (one replaced by running tights, same weight-ish)
Buff, hair band, sarong – 275 (sarong used for curtain, pillow case, sheet, skirt, scarf, sitmat, spare towel and wrap for changing after shower)
Socks and underwear in drybag – 300

Wash bag and towel – 560 (small shampoo, brush/mirror compact, skin cream, sun cream, pilgrim unguento for feet, tooth paste and tooth brush, toilet paper, microfiber towel 100g)
Medicines, sundries and electricals – 250 (ibuprofen, tummy tabs, plasters, savlon, nail scissors, Vaseline, charger, safety pins)
Cross body bag for valuables – 830 (with Kindle, now 510)

Un-packing list FSO weight: 8125, revised weight FSO: 6880, a saving of 1245 grammes!
Hope this can help someone, please ask or comment if anything seems unclear, missing or baffling ... There is a rogue small flashlight there as well, bought last minute, about 30 g.
Wait! You decided to go with the skirt!?! Hmm, interesting about the fleece. I ended up leaving mine at home because of the bulk and never really missed it. Sarong!

Nice "unpacking", my friend.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Haha, I like it that someone keeps an eye on my in-and-out-of-the-list packing fluctuations! Yes, I am now going for a skirt, but no, it's not *that* skirt (the Macabi). I did meet a lady wearing a Macabi in Triacastela and she loved hers, as I love mine, but unlike me she didn't find it flappy or billowy in the wind. Also she wore it in her waist, while I prefer to keep mine on the hips, where it often slides up or down on the tights underneath. And hers was shorter so no chance of getting caught on the boots or stepping on it. I can't stand calf-length skirts ... So the solution must be a knee-length skirt that fits around the waist and goes nowhere, which works for walking and chilling and in slightly more formal places, and I ended up with a Royal Robbins Discovery flippy and stretchy skirt with security pockets. No telling what will happen when Macabi come out with their new collection, but for now I am pleased I have got a very warm and flexible wardrobe for minimal weight. The fleece could provide extra insulation under my wind jacket, but I liked having a merino cardi for the evening and a long sleeve merino top for walking. If one was dirty/damp/being washed, the other did the job.

Got back last week from my camino. Bizkarreta to Burgos with side trips to Madrid and Toledo. Rained hard one morning, lightly another. Temp range 11-33°C, Sept 15-Oct 5.
What I didn't end up using from my pack: ZPack Down bag 340g , Merino Buff, my lightest fleece jacket (wore it maybe 20 minutes total), first aid kit (tiny but didn't use anything out of it, maybe just bandaids next time), 2 pr sock liners, 1 pr WrightSocks, tiny nano flashlight, REI Nano Towel as washcloth - maybe next time it will be a small bath scrubbie though, Exofficio long sleeved T, convertible pants - wore them as shorts 1-2 days. What I wish I'd packed: Lighter weight more breathable sun hat. Some sort of keychain or split ring for when you're given a key to take care of... What I was thrilled that I packed: PT Tape for bum knee and itty bitty scissors. Purple Exofficio undies - easy to spot on the clothes line. Next time: iPhone 6Plus will be my camera/phone/iPad. I'd love to pack everything in my lumbar pack!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola to all - especially Al (the Optimal Packer) and Nidarosa - as said I am looking for a lightweight pack. Have just been on to the Osprey site - the Tempest is recommended for women and the Talon (33lt; 22lt; 18lt) are recommended for us blokes. Thanks for some fantastic ideas on lightweight packing.

The new murmur says:

Suitable for base weights of 5lbs or LESS only,

You might want to check out the packs from z-packs:

http://www.zpacks.com

I believe there were a few folks here who planned to use those this summer. I'd be interested to hear how they worked out.

Haha, I like it that someone keeps an eye on my in-and-out-of-the-list packing fluctuations! Yes, I am now going for a skirt, but no, it's not *that* skirt (the Macabi). I did meet a lady wearing a Macabi in Triacastela and she loved hers, as I love mine, but unlike me she didn't find it flappy or billowy in the wind. Also she wore it in her waist, while I prefer to keep mine on the hips, where it often slides up or down on the tights underneath. And hers was shorter so no chance of getting caught on the boots or stepping on it. I can't stand calf-length skirts ... So the solution must be a knee-length skirt that fits around the waist and goes nowhere, which works for walking and chilling and in slightly more formal places, and I ended up with a Royal Robbins Discovery flippy and stretchy skirt with security pockets. No telling what will happen when Macabi come out with their new collection, but for now I am pleased I have got a very warm and flexible wardrobe for minimal weight. The fleece could provide extra insulation under my wind jacket, but I liked having a merino cardi for the evening and a long sleeve merino top for walking. If one was dirty/damp/being washed, the other did the job.
Hehehe, just call me your wardrobe monitor. Sounds like you have your packing list totally worked out!

€83,-

You might want to check out the packs from z-packs:

http://www.zpacks.com

I believe there were a few folks here who planned to use those this summer. I'd be interested to hear how they worked out.

We used ours on the Stevenson trail and they are heading to Nepal with us next week. They are light beyond belief, waterproof, and actually have a functional frame.zp4.JPG

Thinking of taking my Lumbar pack on it's first outing this week. The weather forecast is cold and wet so I guess I will only be able to test it with a little over 2.1K (3.3K with 2x600ml of water). That is unless I get sneaky and add another 1L bottle of water to make it more like the hot weather weight?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.