• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino My Camino with the shattered foot

Becky 59

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018, 2021, CI 2019, CP 2022
I am excited to be leaving Seattle tomorrow, and after a week at a family wedding near London will head down to SJPdP to start my Camino! I have been dreaming of this for 2 years, following a devastating car crash (tree fell on car) that shattered my right foot talus bone and crushed my right forearm. I was determined to regain enough function to do at least part of The Way! I want to cross the Pyrenees on the lower route, and cover the last 100 km, at a minimum but hoping to do more. I won't be keeping up with you 20-30 km/day walkers, but I can handle at least 10 km on my training hikes. I thank many of you on this forum for good advice (@Kanga for macabi skirts, @davebugg for foot care and packing lists, and lots of others as well). If you see me on the road with a purple pack and a Tulley's hat, smile and wave!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My best wishes and prayers go with you, Becky. You have a great attitude, and I look forward to reading about your Camino adventure. Buen Camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am excited to be leaving Seattle tomorrow, and after a week at a family wedding near London will head down to SJPdP to start my Camino! I have been dreaming of this for 2 years, following a devastating car crash (tree fell on car) that shattered my right foot talus bone and crushed my right forearm. I was determined to regain enough function to do at least part of The Way! I want to cross the Pyrenees on the lower route, and cover the last 100 km, at a minimum but hoping to do more. I won't be keeping up with you 20-30 km/day walkers, but I can handle at least 10 km on my training hikes. I thank many of you on this forum for good advice (@Kanga for macabi skirts, @davebugg for foot care and packing lists, and lots of others as well). If you see me on the road with a purple pack and a Tulley's hat, smile and wave!

Hi becky, my wife and I begin on May the 8th in sjpp, she has not fully recovered from a broken ankle in november, have you checked out if buses are available along the route, I cant find much info, enjoy and be safe

Very best of good fortune on your Camino - don’t forget your Ibruprofen!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All the best to you and I hope your body will continue to gain in strength.

Buen Camino brave and strong pilgrim. You sound as though you have a wondeful reserve of determination and strength. You will get through as much and as far as you want, and surprise yourself too, I'm sure. Its a wonderful blessing, with many along the way. God bless.
Love, Light & Nature, keith.

Buen Camino Becky. Best wishes too for your family wedding in gorgeous London. I can second Ingrid's comments about the excellent medicinal properties of Orujo - it's available at any bar and unlike medicines from the pharmacy, you can buy it 'after hours'! :);)
Take much joy on those ancient and sacred paths - be a Camino snail and savour every magical moment.
Cheers from Oz - Jenny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Becky, you should have been here in London last week. Warmest April days in 70 years.
Good luck on your Camino, slow and steady is the answer. Friendships made will carry you through some of the uncomfortable bits.
I crushed my big toe at the beginning of March, 'Tuft fracture' minor in comparison to what you have endured. Seems to have healed well and been given the all clear to trek. Probably foolishly I have booked a flight to Biarritz on May 1st and will be commencing the Del Norte from Irun on May 2nd. No real training preperation but am reasonably fit for my age. The first 2/3 days are supposed to be really hard work so this could be a real challenge, but l intend to take my time and if necessary draw inspiration from the scenery and hopefully some company met along the way. Not sure how far I will go, only bought the flight for one way. I'll listen to my foot and see how things turn out.
Buen Camino on your special adventure.

You did not say whether you were going to be using Trekking poles? One of the advantages of trekking poles is that you can support a percentage of your body weight through the pole and alleviate some of the stress going through your injured leg. Some pole designs like the "Pacer Poles" seem to be able to transmit more weight through the forearms.

Good luck with your Camino

Marcus makes a very good point about the use of poles. I as a general rule only use them to ascend and descend the steeps but it shares the load, takes strain off the joints and helps keep an energy efficient rythym when I'm struggling .

€83,-
Yes I am walking with poles which I will buy in SJPdP. Another advantage of using poles is decreasing swelling in hands (important for me because my right forearm was also shattered and has poor lymph drainage). Good advice on poles all around. :)

Tomorrow is my start day! I'm excited and nervous, of course. We are in SJPdP tonight, called this morning to book 2 bunks in a private Gite (Chemin vers l'Etoile, down the street from the pilgrim office).. A volunteer at the office told me overflow lodging would be on the floor of the gym.The whole town is pretty full, and they are expecting lots of long-weekend travellers because of the Ascension Day holiday tomorrow. The non-peregrine tourists at the next table at dinner wished us Buen Camino as we wished them Bon Vacance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I prefer Aleve (12 hours vs 8 hours duration), is that available in Spain?

"Naproxeno" is available in 500mg tablets in Spain (I can't speak for France) pharmacies, so that should work for you. Buen camino to you!

I'm 3 days into my Camino and I made it over the Pyrenees! We took the lower route and stayed in Valcarlos at the alberge (there were only 7 of us on Thursday night). We had awesome sunny weather to go over the pass, and lots of very nice views. Given that I walk very slowly, we didn'tget to Roncesvalle (sp?) until 5 pm. We had no reservations but did get bunks in the overflow basement (which is now divided into cubicles of 5 bunk beds). The alberge was packed (Friday night weekenders), but not noisy or rowdy.

I was so exhausted at the end of those 2 days, I must have looked horrible, because the hospitalers hustled me into a chair and got me water. They noticed my compression sock on the shattered-ankle side, and a compression gauntlet on my injured right arm, and asked if I was alright. After sharing the story of my car vs tree accident, she and I were both in tears! I was so proud to have walked over the Pyrenees!

Today we walked another 12 km to stay in a Casa Rural. I heard that Zubiri is all booked, at least everything bookable on booking.com...

That's great! I'm enjoying the updates.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
After the first 3 days at the beginning of the Camino Frances, we skipped ahead to Sarria. I am averaging 12-13 km per day; the one day we did 17 I limped badly all night. I share my story with other peregrinos we meet as we stop for food, wine, and beer, and so many people comment how inspiring my story is. That I itself is so gratifying, that I can give someone a "warm fuzzy" type of story. Tomorrow night we are shooting for O Pedrouzo, and anticipate 2 days after that to SdC! My new trail nickname is "Tortuga", which is Spanish for tortoise.

Sounds brilliant!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well done! A great achievement!

The tortuga has arrived! I made it to Santiago yesterday, and the pilgrim office calculated that I had walked 160 km! What a feat! Now if only I could find Casa Ivar...

Another time: Welcome to Santiago! It was lovely meeting you yesterday! Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back