• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino March and April 2018
I intend to walk the French Way beginning on the first anniversary of my husband’s death on 11th March 2018 at 9:55 am. I hope to arrive in Santiago by 29th of April, his birthday. I’m 70 years old and know that my progress will be slow. Can anyone tell me what sort of weather to expect during March and April? Also how many miles I could expect to do per day, given my age?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I intend to walk the French Way beginning on the first anniversary of my husband’s death on 11th March 2018 at 9:55 am. I hope to arrive in Santiago by 29th of April, his birthday. I’m 70 years old and know that my progress will be slow. Can anyone tell me what sort of weather to expect during March and April? Also how many miles I could expect to do per day, given my age?

Hello Susan and welcome here on this forum.

First of all my condolences with the passing of your husband. But what a beautiful way of honouring his life!

You will have plenty of time, just take it easy the first week(s) and steadily build up the kilometres.
Easter falls early next year ( first of April ) so by then most albergues will be open .Don't worry though there will be enough choice for sleeping places even before that date.

This planner gives you some ideas about distances between villages.
http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Weatherwise you can expect everything from snow , hail but also gorgeous sunny days.
In 2011 I walked the Frances in April and only had three days of rain whereas this year with only a week on the Mesesta I had zero temperatures and hail.

Dress in layers. You will find lots of threads here regarding equipment and places to stay the night.

Happy preparations and I'm looking forward hearing about the progress of your plans!

Last edited:
Susan,I do admire your courage, and hope I don’ t forget to keep you in mind, as you walk. There are so many things to take into account! If you give an idea of your location, someone will surely post information about a local Camino group, and you will get lots of helpful information. Buen Camino when it comes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Susan,
Be prepared for mud and possibly lots of it. Winter 2014 Feb-Apr I walked CF. There were days I literally prayed for mud cessation. In retrospect I should have requested mud navigation skills; kept falling in it. I rarely fall.

Albergues may be both too hot and too cold: O'Cebreiro was a blast furnace, Fromista an icebox, Roncesvalles perfect.

You will meet pilgrims and because there are not many beware. You will get to know each other quite, quite well.

Hope this new chapter in your life goes well.

May Santiago guide you to him.
Buen camino.

Susan, where do you plan to start? My advise would be to start from Roncesvalles or Pamplona at that time of year rather than SJPdP. There may be others who will not agree but either are great starting points for a winter camino.
I walked this year starting on 2 April, some weeks later than your starting date. I got some unseasonally warm weather but also many days of bitter cold with snow or rain and icy winds. There was still a layer of snow at Roncesvalles when I arrived there!
Make sure you have good rain gear and plenty of layers including a set of thermals. Pack a woolly hat and gloves. If you plan to stay in albergues you will need a sleeping bag.
Many forum members have walked winter caminos. Search for posts and/or blogs from @mspath and @SYates.
Wishing you a safe and buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You've asked for a mileage estimate based on your age. As you no doubt know, age is only a minor factor in determining the correct mileage to travel each day. I've walked with 90+ year olds that could easily out-distance me although they were typically wise enough to be going quite slowly, enjoying the Way. May I recommend that you work it the other way around. Determine what distance you feel comfortable walking and then determine the best starting point (making sure to add in a couple rest or low mileage days).

Susan, hello and welcome to the forum!

As others have already posted, March 11 is an early start for this Camino route.

If you plan to start from Saint Jean Pied de Port, the Napoleon route will be closed as it is officially to April 1st and then is open depending on the weather. My wife and I left St. Jean on April 8th, 2106 and it was closed, so our option was to walk via the Valcarlos route as would be yours if this is your planned starting point. Even on this route we encountered snow the last couple of hours before arriving in Roncesvalles.
As others have stated for an early start such as yours, Pamplona may be a better starting point for a winter Camino
The weather can be widely variable this time of year to full on winter, to spring like conditions.
We have always started our Camino's the first week of April on our four Camino's and the weather has varied from short sleeves and shorts, to multiple layers with ski hats and mitts.
In early March some albergues will not be open yet, but this is also balanced by considerably fewer walkers.
There is a lot of threads on gear, so I won't duplicate that here. I will advise though to take trekking poles, very helpful especially if you do run into muddy conditions. Spanish mud is clay based and is quite greasy when wet.

The best advice I can give is to start slow and then build up your daily distance. Far too many over due the first couple of days and then have foot issues and other repetitive strain type issues. After about 10 days you will start to build some endurance. You really need to walk at your own pace and listen to what your body is telling you.

Be prepared for a truly wonderful experience, you will meet many great people on your Camino.

I will be walking from Pamplona around that time (not all the way - just ten days or so). I don't think there will be a problem with albergues. The weather - well, whatever comes, comes. I'll look out for you, Susan.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Susan and welcome here on this forum.

First of all my condolences with the passing of your husband. But what a beautiful way of honouring his life!

You will have plenty of time, just take it easy the first week(s) and steadily build up the kilometres.
Easter falls early next year ( first of April ) so by then most albergues will be open .Don't worry though there will be enough choice for sleeping places even before that date.

This planner gives you some ideas about distances between villages.
http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Weatherwise you can expect everything from snow , hail but also gorgeous sunny days.
In 2011 I walked the Frances in April and only had three days of rain whereas this year with only a week on the Mesesta I had zero temperatures and hail.

Dress in layers. You will find lots of threads here regarding equipment and places to stay the night.

Happy preparations and I'm looking forward hearing about the progress of your plans!
I am overcome and overjoyed with the responses I have received. It’s as if I am already enfolded in loving arms to guide me on my way. Go to https:www.norfolkhospice.org.uk/blog/susans-story
to explain my reasons for my journey, and I send you my thanks the world is full of kind people.

Susan,I do admire your courage, and hope I don’ t forget to keep you in mind, as you walk. There are so many things to take into account! If you give an idea of your location, someone will surely post information about a local Camino group, and you will get lots of helpful information. Buen Camino when it comes.
Thank you so much for your reply, the kindness of strangers overwhelmes me

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Susan,
Be prepared for mud and possibly lots of it. Winter 2014 Feb-Apr I walked CF. There were days I literally prayed for mud cessation. In retrospect I should have requested mud navigation skills; kept falling in it. I rarely fall.

Albergues may be both too hot and too cold: O'Cebreiro was a blast furnace, Fromista an icebox, Roncesvalles perfect.

You will meet pilgrims and because there are not many beware. You will get to know each other quite, quite well.

Hope this new chapter in your life goes well.

May Santiago guide you to him.
Buen camino.
Thank you. I’ve now just ordered the gators! The thought of this Pilgrimage has kept me alive over the past few months. It’s hard to find that having walked the same road together for so long (40) years. We came to that dreadful fork in the road, where he had to take the unknown path and I am alone; my path leads to Santiago and hopefully peace in my heart.

Susan, where do you plan to start? My advise would be to start from Roncesvalles or Pamplona at that time of year rather than SJPdP. There may be others who will not agree but either are great starting points for a winter camino.
I walked this year starting on 2 April, some weeks later than your starting date. I got some unseasonally warm weather but also many days of bitter cold with snow or rain and icy winds. There was still a layer of snow at Roncesvalles when I arrived there!
Make sure you have good rain gear and plenty of layers including a set of thermals. Pack a woolly hat and gloves. If you plan to stay in albergues you will need a sleeping bag.
Many forum members have walked winter caminos. Search for posts and/or blogs from @mspath and @SYates.
Wishing you a safe and buen camino.
Thank you so much, I am completely amazed by so many caring replies. I am starting at St Jean, because it just seems right for me. I only intend to go for six miles on the first day, then build up to ten miles and so on. I can take as long as I need. So will take it at my own pace, at the moment I wouldn’t care if it took me six months or more, I just want to be able to begin with hope in my heart. Thank you again

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Susan, hello and welcome to the forum!

As others have already posted, March 11 is an early start for this Camino route.

If you plan to start from Saint Jean Pied de Port, the Napoleon route will be closed as it is officially to April 1st and then is open depending on the weather. My wife and I left St. Jean on April 8th, 2106 and it was closed, so our option was to walk via the Valcarlos route as would be yours if this is your planned starting point. Even on this route we encountered snow the last couple of hours before arriving in Roncesvalles.
As others have stated for an early start such as yours, Pamplona may be a better starting point for a winter Camino
The weather can be widely variable this time of year to full on winter, to spring like conditions.
We have always started our Camino's the first week of April on our four Camino's and the weather has varied from short sleeves and shorts, to multiple layers with ski hats and mitts.
In early March some albergues will not be open yet, but this is also balanced by considerably fewer walkers.
There is a lot of threads on gear, so I won't duplicate that here. I will advise though to take trekking poles, very helpful especially if you do run into muddy conditions. Spanish mud is clay based and is quite greasy when wet.

The best advice I can give is to start slow and then build up your daily distance. Far too many over due the first couple of days and then have foot issues and other repetitive strain type issues. After about 10 days you will start to build some endurance. You really need to walk at your own pace and listen to what your body is telling you.

Be prepared for a truly wonderful experience, you will meet many great people on your Camino.
Thank you. I already feel part of the Camino. My husband would have been so proud of me. He had to take the unknown way. I am taking a known way.

I will be walking from Pamplona around that time (not all the way - just ten days or so). I don't think there will be a problem with albergues. The weather - well, whatever comes, comes. I'll look out for you, Susan.
Thank you and bless you, it would be serendipity to meet.

I am overcome and overjoyed with the responses I have received. It’s as if I am already enfolded in loving arms to guide me on my way. Go to https:www.norfolkhospice.org.uk/blog/susans-story
to explain my reasons for my journey, and I send you my thanks the world is full of kind people.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It is filled with so much love and grace. I hope the Camino brings what you are looking for - it will definitely bring the wonderful unexpected too :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

For when you lose the person you loved most in the world, there is nothing left to be afraid of.
Susan, you asked for help, but let me tell you that you are a shining light through your sharing of your story, and you are giving far more than you might be aware of. Thank you.

I have read your moving life story.

I sincerely hope that The Camino will provide you with what you need (it often does); what that is you may not know until that day when you walk into Santiago de Compostela and stand in front of The Cathedral. My best wishes are walking with you.

Buen Camino!
Ultreia y Suseia (forward and upward)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Read your Story Susan. Very touching. I'm glad you were with him. Just a small word of preparation for you. Camino may be less "quite" than you expect. Everyone will ask you "why" you are walking Camino. Your answer may shock them for a moment. Many/most people will be their on "holiday".
This past summer we met a gentleman at Orisson who was walking for a similar reason. His wife had passed recently and he was walking in her memory. These stories may dwarf and overwhelm some folks. Buen Camino.

Read your Story Susan. Very touching. I'm glad you were with him. Just a small word of preparation for you. Camino may be less "quite" than you expect. Everyone will ask you "why" you are walking Camino. Your answer may shock them for a moment. Many/most people will be their on "holiday".
This past summer we met a gentleman at Orisson who was walking for a similar reason. His wife had passed recently and he was walking in her memory. These stories may dwarf and overwhelm some folks. Buen Camino.

I understand what you are saying although throughout many Caminos I met people who started as tourists but became pilgrims en route and vice versa.
And yes some people might get overwhelmed by the personal stories...so be it. It is all good.:)
Even more : I still remember some personal stories from fellow pilgrims whom I only talked an hour with and never met again...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the family, Susan!
You may very well meet others who are walking for the same reason as you, or for similar crushing losses - and there is much sympathetic company on the road. Yes, there are lots of people who are on a holiday, but many more who are walking for 'other' reasons and who will be quite open to sharing a deeper conversation about this mystery of life and death that we all have to face, at some point.

If you start in March from SJPP, you will have to take the Valcarlos route. This is the more historically authentic of the two routes to Roncesvalles and it is gorgeous. There are two options: to walk to Roncesvalles in one day or to spend the night in Valcarlos, and then on to Roncesvalles the next day. I've only gone this way in early March, and there was snow at the top, but not too much, though we did have to walk down the road from Ibaneta. As others have said, layers are important as it can be pretty chilly in the mornings. I find most important to be gloves and beanie. The pics here from my March-April walk in 2015 (at the same time as you will be going) give you some idea of the weather. It was everything, from glorious to truly awful.

Edit - It's impossible to generalize about distance and the number of walking days.
Right before turning 60 I started in St Jean on March 11 and walked into Santiago on April 12, with 2 planned rest days, and 2 really short ones after a fall. But your distances are yours! Take your time, and remember to pace yourself, especially in the first week to week and a half.

Last edited:
I just read your blog and Cruz de Ferro came to mind. Cruz de Ferro, a place pilgrims lay their burdens down. You will have walked nearly two-thirds of the way to Santiago by then. Most people leave a rock that symbolizes a weight they wish to leave behind.
On camino, I have met a priest with AIDS, a young man whose mom was killed via motor one week into his pilgrimage, an engineer who ran his company into the ground, those who lost love via break-ups, and those who found love on camino.

Your story was touching. Do not be afraid to share your truth with fellow peregrinos.

Buen camino.

Welcome to the family, Susan!
You may very well meet others who are walking for the same reason as you, or for similar crushing losses - and there is much sympathetic company on the road. Yes, there are lots of people who are on a holiday, but many more who are walking for 'other' reasons and who will be quite open to sharing a deeper conversation about this mystery of life and death that we all have to face, at some point.

If you start in March from SJPP, you will have to take the Valcarlos route. This is the more historically authentic of the two routes to Roncesvalles and it is gorgeous. There are two options: to walk to Roncesvalles in one day or to spend the night in Valcarlos, and then on to Roncesvalles the next day. I've only gone this way in early March, and there was snow at the top, but not too much, though we did have to walk down the road from Ibaneta. As others have said, layers are important as it can be pretty chilly in the mornings. I find most important to be gloves and beanie. The pics here from my March-April walk in 2015 (at the same time as you will be going) give you some idea of the weather. It was everything, from glorious to truly awful.

Edit - It's impossible to generalize about distance and the number of walking days.
Right before turning 60 I started in St Jean on March 11 and walked into Santiago on April 12, with 2 planned rest days, and 2 really short ones after a fall. But your distances are yours! Take your time, and remember to pace yourself, especially in the first week to week and a half.
Thank you. You have not only given me advice but strength. Bless you

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
P
I just read your blog and Cruz de Ferro came to mind. Cruz de Ferro, a place pilgrims lay their burdens down. You will have walked nearly two-thirds of the way to Santiago by then. Most people leave a rock that symbolizes a weight they wish to leave behind.
On camino, I have met a priest with AIDS, a young man whose mom was killed via motor one week into his pilgrimage, an engineer who ran his company into the ground, those who lost love via break-ups, and those who found love on camino.

Your story was touching. Do not be afraid to share your truth with fellow peregrinos.

Buen camino.
thank you. Today I will go to our local beach, just 5 miles from where we live and choose a pebble to take with me, yesterday I found a fossilised amanite on my walk around our farm. I like the thought of leaving these two objects from our home on the Camino, where others have lain there burdens down before and those yet to come will do the same. Thank you again. All your replies mean the world to me. I had no idea there were so many people out there with such profound understanding.

Susan, it took a while, but I found your link...and am deeply touched by your story. Heartfelt condolences.
What a beautiful tribute and healing your camino will be.
You can walk 'for' your husband - when you get to the pilgrim's office in Santiago to receive your compostela, tell the volunteer that you are walking in memory of him, and they will write the compostela in his name, "Vicarie pro..."
You can also have a mass said for him in the Cathedral.
Even for those who are not "religious," this can be deeply moving.
There is a discussion in another thread about this here.
Buen Camino!

Susan, I walked the Camino in 2015 in spring. I was then 75 and found the first four days a little hard walking a little under 25 kms a day. After the initial few days I found it reasonably easy and averaged the above mentioned average for the entire Camino. I always took a day off once a week, usually in major cities like Bugos, Leon etc.
Last year I walked from Lisbon averaging even a little more.
It depends on your fitness and health. You will very quickly find the daily walking distance that suits you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Susan.

Hello Susan. My condolences on the passing of your husband. I walked the Camiño Francais in 2017 starting about a week later than your intended start. Weather was irrational first few days with rain for 2 days, snow one night, blistering hot and then back to cooler weather. Personally, being from Canada, I enjoyed the cool mornings - great for walking. I started from SJPDP towards end of March and went to Santiago, on to Muxia and then Fisterra and was done by end of April. I think it’s hard to say how many miles a day you should walk. Your body will let you know. But, I think you have given yourself ample time if Santiago is your final destination. . If I can offer my little bit of advice: pack light, take only what you will need. You can always buy something along the way if really necessary. Keep your water supply filled. Sometimes water fountains aren’t as close to each other as you may think. Ibuprofen is great for aches and pain. Sunscreen and don’t forget a kit for treating blisters. I did the Camino shortly after my dad passed away and it truly helped me to sort out some issue - some real and some imagined. I envy you this trip as there has not been a day go by since my return that I haven’t wished I was still there. It was an amazing spiritual experience. I wish you the very best and may God bless you all along the way. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back