• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My cancer camino

Hmm, it has been a tougher road than expected this week. I hardly slept because I had to sleep on my back (totally not used to that) and a couple of days ago one of my wounds got infected. Trying to get back on track with the help of sleeping pills and wound care.

Sorry to hear this, but remember there is no wound that time cannot heal. Please keep us all posted on your recovery and progress and know you have a room FULL of people here that are in your corner !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hang in there Luka.
It's a wrinkle, to be sure, so I hope you have good medical support through it all. There's much you can do to help healing along, sleep being an important part. So may you sleep well and unapologetically! ;)

We're here pulling for you too.
May you stay safe and heal quickly!

Hmm, it has been a tougher road than expected this week. I hardly slept because I had to sleep on my back (totally not used to that) and a couple of days ago one of my wounds got infected. Trying to get back on track with the help of sleeping pills and wound care.
I hope that a couple of good nights' sleep will make all the difference in the world! Keep us posted!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I‘ve been bunking on my sofa since my latest bone removal foot surgery - a bunch of nice pillows under my back and my surgery foot over the top of the sofa (Elevation) help me sleep every night with no pain. I have not taken any pain medication or anything for sleep Since I let the surgery center.

I don't like sleeping on my back so the pillows keep me slightly more upright and I am quite comfortable...not sure if this will work in your situation But even a slight elevation on your back might work better for you or on your bed surround yourself with giant pillows under your arms and with a slight elevation under your back —keeps you from rolling over on your side too

Not fun what you are going thru but this too shall pass.😍😊 you will come-out a fiece warrior on the other side 🙂
Yes, I do use pillows. As well as in my back as under my knees as a small one under my armpit (where the infected wound is). The result is that I wake up several times with back and neckpain. But I manage to sleep my way through the night on sleepingpills. Next stage will be getting myself through the night without.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know I'm off topic but I need 1M € right now. Do you have any idea when exactly the universe will deliver it? I could go on Camino in couple of days and even visit @Luka ;)
well this will hopefully keep @Luka smiling and keep her in good spirits.

The Universe answered, as with everything in life....patience Grasshopper (Kung Fu the series) and find a very rich sugar Momma (Daddy)😜

actually the universe said you don’t really need the million because you are already rich in spirit but if you have ingenuity and a good accountant anything possible 😃😉 been telling myself this for years, obviously I have a bad accountant 🤓

Last edited:
Hola @Luka. Yes that "post op" stuff can be a real bummer. I think I agree with the "no beer" late at night policy (you just have to pee more often); as for the warm milk and rum, mine would be with a tot of brandy.
Keep your doctor informed of any post-op infections. Buen Camino. ;):)👣🖖🚶‍♀️

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know you don't mean it that way, but I don't need cancer. I prefer to accept that such a thing as bad luck exists in life.
Sorry for any misunderstanding my intent definitely was not to say you needed cancer... I was referring to your comment regarding “Not being gifted with patience”. I will not comment further except to wish you good luck with your recovery

Hey Luka! I just got on here after being off for quite some time and was so sorry to hear your news.
I know the shock of what you're feeling.
I just went through this myself - found my lump Christmas night, my diagnosis was in January, had a biopsy in February and a double mastectomy in April. I am feeling pretty back to normal now. Hang in there and please feel free to PM me if you have questions, concerns, or just want to talk. Lots of wonderful support here. You are in my prayers! Love and hugs,
Annie🥰

I reached the first albergue. The hospital. Surgery went well and I am back home now. I am feeling quite well. Exit tumor :)
I would say you have crossed the Pyrenees. it’s a big, big step and the rest is a long slog with good days and bad days. The Camino is a nice metaphor for the journey you are on now.

Once my surgery was done I had a treatment roadmap that had its fair share of modifications once the journey was underway. Every cancer experience is different. Again like the Camino, but those of us who have, and still are walking a very similar path will have many shared yet unique experiences. Just know that you are not alone on this cancer journey and that at least one other fellow traveler is thinking about you and wishing you the best.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all, pilgrim friends! I am doing much better. The surgeon was happy about the way my wounds are healing now and I can sleep again on every side of my body. And the best of all: no metastases found in the lymph node they took out!

I have started to walk again. Did this little beautiful hike the day before yesterday.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all, pilgrim friends! I am doing much better. The surgeon was happy about the way my wounds are healing now and I can sleep again on every side of my body. And the best of all: no metastases found in the lymph node they took out!

I have started to walk again. Did this little beautiful hike the day before yesterday.
Wonderful news, @Luka !
And knowing the lymph nodes are clear is fantastic! When my wife heard the same news, she was very happy!
Wishing you a prompt recovery!

€83,-
One thing I learnt from chemo is that if the insomnia seems insolvable, I’m better to get up, make a pot of tea and move to my sofa.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
View attachment 82711

Look what is hanging at my door? I just got this wonderful present from @LTfit today! To remind me every time when I go outside about that wonderful camino I am going to walk after my recovery. Thank you so much @LTfit!

How nice to see! I'm pleased that you found an appropriate place for it. Sorry that I didn't respond to the picture sooner but I only thought to check this thread right now.

Good luck with the next phase (read your last blog post).

Un fuerte abrazo from rainy and grey Noordwijk aan Zee.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"----Looking forward to the day I will be able to pack my bag again."
Just days after finishing my last Camino, two years ago, I found myself in the ER to have a big growth of cancer of the column removed. Two months later, still in convalescence, ER again; this time for a quintuple bypass.
What kept me alive? According to the docs, the strong constitution of my body system due to extraordinary (-Camino-) exercise. What gave me the strength and motivation to endure? Everyday reliving episodes of my previous 5 Camino's and a firm determination to get well enough to do one more. (Postponed to 2021 due to Covid)

@Luka, during the difficult time you're going through, keep packing your bag virtually in your mind! Focus on your next walk! It'll help you to beat that bastard. You'll make it.

Buen Camino.

According to the docs, the strong constitution of my body system due to extraordinary (-Camino-) exercise. What gave me the strength and motivation to endure? Everyday reliving episodes of my previous XX Camino's and a firm determination to get well enough to do one more. (Postponed to 2021 due to Covid)
Egualmente. The last 12 years on the Camino have boosted my physical state.

I have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I still have a lot of questions and the treatment hasn't started yet, but my life as I knew it has already come to a standstill. And I thought Covid-19 was bad... However I have no idea yet what is awaiting me and how (and if) I will get out of this, I have set a goal for myself: walking the camino again.

It will take a while, but it might help me to have something to go for. Just to be clear: I don't see cancer as a battle you can win or lose. It is all about luck. But I just need a shining light at the horizon. The only thing I can do right now is take care of myself the best I can. And write a bit here every now and then.

Looking forward to the day I will be able to pack my bag again.
Me too Luka (benign brain tumour in a crap location). I've recently had surgery for the part they can get. I agree with you - COVID-19 has barely been on my radar this year! My husband and I walked the Camino de Santiago together when we first met (he's Spanish and I'm Australian). We plan to ride the same camino together as soon as I'm fit enough again and when the world situation allows for it. Keep looking forward to the day you pack your bag again, see it in your mind every day and trust that it will happen. xx

€60,-
Hope it’s going well for all of us on this cancer journey. Im now half way through my chemo. Third infusion was yesterday. Oddly I’m finding it easier with our uk lockdown. It’s like everyone is joining me in staying home whereas my last set of chemo was in the summer.

my ca125 cancer count is almost at a normal level After two infusions.

fairly optimistic I’ll be off to Spain in 2021. Days might be short but I’m thinking a month or six weeks. Camino..

And you @Anniesantiago?

Wishing you all well!
I'm doing GREAT! My doc said I could go off the Letrozole. I can walk again! I have VERY disabled thumb joints, very painful from the letrozole, but hoping they'll improve with time. I've been off it for about 5 weeks now. Thanks for asking! Life is GOOD and I'm hoping to walk the Camino again in 2022 - I am pretty sure this year will be a no as I will not get the vaccine.

I'm doing GREAT! My doc said I could go off the Letrozole. I can walk again! I have VERY disabled thumb joints, very painful from the letrozole, but hoping they'll improve with time. I've been off it for about 5 weeks now. Thanks for asking! Life is GOOD and I'm hoping to walk the Camino again in 2022 - I am pretty sure this year will be a no as I will not get the vaccine.
Thanks for the update, Annie! All sounds very positive for you in spite of your thumbs and hopefully they will soon be back to normal. 👍

€83,-
Sorry for not having been here for such a long time... I am doing really well! Radiotherapy was hard, mostly because of the travel. It was a 3 hour drive to the hospital and back every day and at some point they started sceduling me at 10.00pm in the evening (long story...). But I got through it with a little help from my friends.

The month after the radiotherapy was difficult as well. Still tired from the radiotherapy I started to get all kind of side effects from the hormone therapy. Felt like I had turned 80... But fortunately after a couple of weeks and taking loads of supplements I started to feel better.

And now I am doing well! Still a bit of problems with my joints and my energy level, but nothing compared to how it was. So it feels like I have got my life back! The Camino that I planned to walk after recovery will have to wait because of covid, but I am really happy about how I feel right now. First check will be in April, first mammo in August. These will be stressful moments, but I keep my hopes up that all is well.

Thank you all again for all your support! ❤️

Sorry for not having been here for such a long time... I am doing really well! Radiotherapy was hard, mostly because of the travel. It was a 3 hour drive to the hospital and back every day and at some point they started sceduling me at 10.00pm in the evening (long story...). But I got through it with a little help from my friends.

The month after the radiotherapy was difficult as well. Still tired from the radiotherapy I started to get all kind of side effects from the hormone therapy. Felt like I had turned 80... But fortunately after a couple of weeks and taking loads of supplements I started to feel better.

And now I am doing well! Still a bit of problems with my joints and my energy level, but nothing compared to how it was. So it feels like I have got my life back! The Camino that I planned to walk after recovery will have to wait because of covid, but I am really happy about how I feel right now. First check will be in April, first mammo in August. These will be stressful moments, but I keep my hopes up that all is well.

Thank you all again for all your support! ❤️
Going through this journey myself, though luckily I did not have to have radiotherapy.
I very much understand the painful joints - in fact I quit my Letrozole because of it and after several months am still fighting joint pain in my thumbs, though my feet are better.

I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well!
I look forward to seeing you on the Way, Luka!
Next beer is on me!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I still have a lot of questions and the treatment hasn't started yet, but my life as I knew it has already come to a standstill. And I thought Covid-19 was bad... However I have no idea yet what is awaiting me and how (and if) I will get out of this, I have set a goal for myself: walking the camino again.

It will take a while, but it might help me to have something to go for. Just to be clear: I don't see cancer as a battle you can win or lose. It is all about luck. But I just need a shining light at the horizon. The only thing I can do right now is take care of myself the best I can. And write a bit here every now and then.

Looking forward to the day I will be able to pack my bag again.
There are many things going on in my life, Luka, that make me feel touched by your message to us. I know that feeling of "life as I knew it" coming to a standstill--for me, it feels like ice running through my veins and sometimes can keep me frozen in place.
Battling cancer definitely has an element of luck. More importantly, what I 'see' in your writings is intelligence and perseverance. I trust that you will make appropriate decisions as needed.
Do continue to take care of yourself as you planned. I will add, remember to laugh daily, even if you don't feel like it.
I look forward to hearing more from you as you pack the necessary 'gear' and walk this different camino.
Sending you good thoughts and prayers.

Going through this journey myself, though luckily I did not have to have radiotherapy.
I very much understand the painful joints - in fact I quit my Letrozole because of it and after several months am still fighting joint pain in my thumbs, though my feet are better.

I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well!
I look forward to seeing you on the Way, Luka!
Next beer is on me!
Ah yes, I can imagine you quit with Letrozole. Sorry to hear that you are still struggling with joint pain. I am on Tamoxifen and I think I would have quit as well if things would have stayed the way they were.

And I would love to have a beer with you on the Way!

€60,-
I wanted to say to all who are suffering right now;have hope!
It's mentioned a lot by many and for me that one positive word kept me sane for half my life.
Giving up is not an option as all hope is lost in that instant and nobody knows what tomorrow will bring!
(i lived and waited in hope for 30 years until that hope was fulfilled;where there is life there is always hope.)
Woody

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back