• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My comprehensive and honest packing list!

caitlin_s

or - Confessions of a somewhat vain pilgrim

Hi all - I read a lot of packing lists when I was preparing for the camino, but none of them seemed quite as long as mine ended up being once I'd itemised every single thing, weighed it and added it to my spreadsheet! I thought my list might be of interest or use to some other forum members - see attachment.

I have to add, as you can see I took a bunch of things that many would disapprove of, such as makeup, an ipod and kindle, and not one but TWO dresses! But I also managed to keep my weight down by shopping carefully for lightweight essentials and making a couple of lightweight items myself (I'm a sewer). I ended up using absolutely everything I took and was, to be honest, thrilled to be able to listen to music sometimes (I even discovered that you can listen to an ipod and birdsong *simultaneously*!!) and look vaguely stylish in the evenings. I didn't have any trouble at all with my pack and most of the time was barely even conscious of having it on. My advice to newbies, therefore, is actually that if you really want to take the odd luxury and can squeeze it in while keeping to a reasonable pack weight, go for your life!

I also highly recommend the somewhat crazy act of making a weight spreadsheet like mine and using it as a planning tool. I chose a weight I was comfortable with, categorised everything as either essential or luxury, and then pared down a few things from my list until I hit my target weight.

photostream

Attachments

• packing spreadsheet.xlsx
    15.7 KB · Views: 4,742
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
caitlin_s wrote:
I have to add, as you can see I took a bunch of things that many would disapprove of, such as makeup, an ipod and kindle, and not one but TWO dresses!

Who cares what others think? It's YOUR Camino.

what a great list. thanks for posting this--and the black dress is fabulous!

and yes Ping, it is OUR camino, however we chose to dress...but too bad my cowboy boots are just too heavy to carry, perhaps i should just hike in them and forget the boots??? :D

I think your packing list is great--I downloaded it to compare with mine! Instead of a dress though, have you thought of bringing a couple of sarongs? You can use them as a skirt, dress, head scarf, bed-sheet (if you spray with perethrim), etc... Youtube has videos on how to tie them and sarongs weigh next to nothing. I love hiking in a sarong because the wind flows around your legs and keeps you cool--that and my husband thinks its sexy :p

Buen camino,
Elizabeth

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Caitlin, what was the brand of your solid conditionner? I used a shampoo Lush bar for body and hair but brought a small Nalgene bottle with leave-in conditionner.

Your packing list does compare to mine; I used everything I brought and didn't need to add anything except for pharmacy stuff.

Envoyé depuis mon HTC Panache avec Tapatalk

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
caminocalling said:
How come I cannot down load :?: :| I clicked and clicked but no action...

Attention of caminocalling__

One possibility is that original file of Caitlin_S was created by a newer version of Microsoft Excel than yours — try upgrading, or view spreadsheet at internet-cafe or local library, which hopefully have latest software versions. :wink:

soch

Caitlin, I loved your list and when you wrote 'go for your life' I thought this girl must be Australian and you're from Melbourne too! Have you left for your Camino yet? I leave 4 weeks from today, also from Melbourne.

Anyway - bravo for putting in your completely honest list. I'm low maintenance (I dont wear make-up usually or get my hair done) but still think 'I might be a pilgrim but I'm still a woman!!' - so also will be taking mascara, lip gloss and 2 lightweight skirts and a pashmina rather than a fleece. Alot of the lists I've read must be for men who are ok with using soap for their hair (as are many women) and no little comforts. I have long hair and it just looks greasy if I use soap! Im taking very small shampoo, conditioner, facial cleanser, even a tiny amber perfume. The only thing I didnt see on your list was first-aid for the feet.

I have found very lightweight goods such as 215g yet 20,000 mm rainjacket (Montane Minimus), -with careful weighing and months of research my pack will be 8 kilos-ish including water and food. As Ping wrote it's each person's preference; you can have the little 'luxuries' if you research, weigh and make careful decisions.

Good on you Caitlin! :D

Hello All,

Thank you Caitlin for your wonderful post--and packing list--both of which have been clearly helpful as per everyone's comments.

As a newbie myself, getting ready to head out from SJPdP around the 20th of September, your post was delightful to read. Having read reams, too often--perhaps without realising it--a few who have walked before and left comments appear to have rigid ideas of what one should take, not take, how one should 'do the camino or what one should not do.

As newbies we have a bag full of normal concerns, anxieties and small obsessions ('to be in hiking boots or not-that is the question....) to begin with. Then as one reads more and more, there is a small amount of undercurrents on the forum on how one should do the camino and packing.

I read one thing by a woman who told other women NOT to wear perfume; another told women NOT to shave; others about NOT taking makeup; NOT taking dresses; NOT taking taxis and so it goes. Until we either don't post what we are thinking of taking---or apologise and say I AM taking a lipstick!!

Life is often called a 'road' and the Camino is no different: For a an easy journey in LIfe or on the Camino--no doubt, if one leaves behinds judgements, criticisms, eliteism (SP I am dyslexic), shoulds, have tos, suppose tos--then one's journey will be 'LIGHTER'. As RW Emerson said, 'Do your Thing' and though he didn't say also say-----and let others do theirs-----this is clearly meant.

I am thrilled to be going on this once in a lifetime journey, but know all ye who travel on the road in September and October: I will be armed with a skirt, lipstick, mascara and will happily, joyously waft a little eau d'toilette from SJPdP to Santiago.

For me a pilgrimage begins, takes place, ends and starts all over again--in the heart. Be on your feet, in a plane, in a car, on a mule, in a taxi or rickshaw.....be in your heart and all shall be well.

Blessings to all,

Francesca

Francesca

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, it is time for me to start weighing the individual items in my pack. But where do you find a scale that will weigh the small items? My bathroom scale works for the whole thing loaded, but is not sensitive enough to weigh the individual components.

sally_M said:
OK, it is time for me to start weighing the individual items in my pack. But where do you find a scale that will weigh the small items? My bathroom scale works for the whole thing loaded, but is not sensitive enough to weigh the individual components.

You need to get a kitchen "food" type scale that weighs in oz, lb, grams, etc.
You can "zero" it out with a box lid or something large to hold bigger items.
I now (after 3 Caminos) have an electronic one that I found in a 2nd hand store. It is great and wish I had it before.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Caitlin
I'm leaving tomorrow (therefore an anxious newbie), have all the bits weighed and ready to pack, and was agonising unnecessarily over the minutae until I read your note. I'm still travelling lite, but got a real giggle from this thread and will now bring a few (lite weight) luxuries and something to improve the downwind air quality behind me too - even Men have standards!
Its only a long walk after all, in a highly civilised country, a village shop every 20kms, with lovely companions and with every facility no more than 1 day away.
The first step is always the hardest! Bring it on!

Thank you for this great list Caitlin, the spread sheet is great!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Greetings All,

Would like some help re my packing list: (Newbie) Am heading out Friday 21 September Biarritz, SJPDP, Santiago (eventually). Still have a day or two to do some proper panic buying.

Your advice and thoughts would be welcomed. The weight is hovering between 6.5 & 7kg . However, now think will get some gaiters.

Wearing
1 bra 62
1 undies 25
Long sleeve crew neck lightweight merino 175
Fleece - long sleeve pull on zip down to sternum 275
1 merino buff 50
1 pair lightweight trousers 275
1 pair bridgedale liners 25
1 pair merino tec sock 75
Mid Lightweight goretex ½ larger hiking boot
Wide brimmed waxed hat 175
‘Go’ lingerie material money belt 25
Travel documents/money

Osprey Talon II 33L s/m 82
Osprey Hydration system 2litre 30
LifeVenture Sleeping bag (or as pad) already treated for bedbugs/mozzies/bacteria 750
Silk liner 150

1 bra 62
1 undies 25
Silk thermals 225
1 cami 75
1 merino tank top 100
1 short sleeve jewel neck merino 175
Long sleeve merino pull on zip down to sternum & up to make turtle neck 275
Trousers 300
Reversable wraparound rayon skirt 250
Sarong i.e. couple metres of silk 175
1 pair bridgedale liners 25
1 pair smartwool socks 75
Gloves fingerless merino possum 25
All this clothing carried in a 1 litre dry compression sack 50
Satchet of violette 25
Teva sandals 450
Poncho Ferrino Todomodo 525
Three section zip soft pencil case for purse 35

Plastic zip lock weighs 375 and contains
Iphone/my camera
Iphone electric plug
Electric adaptor for France/Spain

Head Lamp 35
2 black plastic bags 50
4 plastic suction hooks & length of synthetic garden twine in plastic zip case 25
Spork and three St Jacques shells 150
Hardback Journal & biro 250
Small leather bag containing six small gifts 125
Number of pressed four, five & six leafed clovers for gifts – no weight!
(There is a place nr my village where if one looks, one finds)

Toiletries
Muslin 2 metres for towel 125
Hair products 150
ZLock with toothbrush/trial toothpaste, dental floss, factor 50, deodorant, lipstick/mascara 225
ZLock with partial roll of toilet paper 50

First Aid Kit
ZLock weighing 200 & contains
Safety pins
Tweezers
Nail clippers (small)
Knife/scissors (small)
Satchets of Dioralyte
Rescue remedy cream (tube partially used)
Rescue remedy tincture bottle
Aspirin
2 Compeed plastic holders containing various compeed sizes & 1 needle & thread

Maps & Info
Brierly book 275 lots of info
OR
Michelin book Just maps/routes 100

Questioning whether to take these or not??
1 pair 1000 mile lined socks 100 (?? Re other socks)
Pull on waterproof trousers 250 (?? ie have the poncho)
Emergency Road Jacket
Yellow rain cover in sack 85 (?? ie have the poncho)
Onya sack small 50 (??take plastic bag for shopping)
Do I need a wind/rain jacket (ie have the poncho?)

Ok, will look forward to hearing advice / feedback,

Thanks in advance!

Blessings to all,

Francesca
Francescalignumvitae
20-35 posts

Francescalignumvitae said:
Would like some help re my packing list: (Newbie) Am heading out Friday 21 September Biarritz, SJPDP, Santiago (eventually). Still have a day or two to do some proper panic buying.
Stop! No more buying! I'm probably the wrong person to be replying because I note you are leaving in a couple of days and I don't want to confuse the issue. However, I feel that you are taking too much. Basically you need a change of clothes, wet weather gear, toiletries, first aid kit and sleeping bag. Extras are items like a guide book, journal, camera, phone etc.

A sleeping bag is sufficient, the liner is unnecessary weight. You're right about the rain pants and pack cover - you don't need them if you have a poncho. I know many people love their gaiters but, again, I think they're unnecessary weight.

Try to avoid taking things on the "what if" basis. If you can't almost guarantee you'll need something, leave it at home.

I do have to qualify this advice with the information that I don't like carrying a heavy pack so don't take items like gloves - I wear my spare pair of socks on my hands if it's cold and sleep in the t-shirt I'm going to walk in the next day :oops:

the only addition i can suggest to any packing list is anti-histamine for unexpected allergies. on my first day out of sarria i was struck with a severe allergy to my eyes that resulted in near unstoppable tearing and stinging for about an hour. this happened several times, each time less severe. a few days later i met a traveller who was having the same difficulty. we're not sure if anti-histamine would have helped because washing the eyes out and putting in drops did. but it wouldn't hurt to have a few capsules with you for any allergic reaction. added weight none - perfect!

i never found out what caused the allergy but suspect it was pollen from the flowering yellow bushes. the spanish word for allergy is alergia and is good to know if going to a pharmacy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My only suggestion is in the undergarment category.

I always have three undies, just in case I can't or don't want to do my wash one day. That way I wash two pairs the next day and still have a third clean pair to wear.

And socks: I think three pairs are required. I alternate two pairs during the day, stopping every hour for ten minutes to take off my boots and socks, air out my feet, and put on a dry pair of socks. SIx Caminos using this method with no blisters. The third pair of socks is for the end of the day, when I slip into my comfortable - but plastic - Crocs. Clean socks on clean feet after a shower are heaven.

Have a fantastic journey, and do keep us posted on your progress.

Nancy

Greetings All,

Hello Julie, Koby and Nancy,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Re the liner: yes it is a 'what if it is too warm to warrent the bag' but the idea is to use the liner instead--silk--as a barrier against bedbugs. This is a 'what if' I will respect and act upon. However, the ? of overtrousers/gaiters etc was driving me mad. I will go with the poncho and see what is.

I have noted that while the law says walkers/pilgrims are to wear reflective vests/jackests when walking in poor light: dawn/dusk/dark, most packing lists do not contain one. I had one and took it out re the weight but will repack slowly and reconsider all choices today--including another pair of undies!! :)

My list was a compilation of other lists posted--of what worked for those folks--and the unique weather conditions they encountered. My big ?/ what if is---- will this September/October be brown or green and having some gear to respond to either .....OR both! :)

Found a quote that fits comfortably:

Not fare well, But fare forward, voyagers. (TS Eliot)

Blessings to All!

Francesca

nreyn12 said:

I always have three undies, just in case I can't or don't want to do my wash one day. That way I wash two pairs the next day and still have a third clean pair to wear.

And socks: I think three pairs are required. I alternate two pairs during the day, stopping every hour for ten minutes to take off my boots and socks, air out my feet, and put on a dry pair of socks. SIx Caminos using this method with no blisters. The third pair of socks is for the end of the day, when I slip into my comfortable - but plastic - Crocs. Clean socks on clean feet after a shower are heaven.

Nancy

Hi Nancy
Your comment about clean socks on clean feet resonates with me. I put that experience down as one of the top pleasures in life. I am a little strange I know
Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Caitlin, What a relief to read the list of another "girly peregrina!" I am doing the final 100km of the Camino Frances in fall of 2013 (I will be 60). Although I am very hardy (workout with a trainer, fish, kayak, hike, etc.), I don't like to stay dirty; and when I've cleaned up after a long day, I like to style my hair and wear mascara. My current plan for toiletries is to use small travel sizes, promotional samples, and gifts with purchase items for the trip, using them up as I go along. I figure on ducking into a farmacia if I run out of anything. I will also have jacotrans to store and then forward a separate small bag of nicer clothing to my hotel in Santiago where I plan to recharge, as I will spend a night in Finnestere and then go on to visit friends in Barcelona and finish in Madrid.

I downloaded your spreadsheet, and it all seems very sensible and doable to me. Please let us all know what worked for you and what did not. You go girl! 8)

walkingtotheend said:
nreyn12 said:

Nancy

Hi Nancy
Your comment about clean socks on clean feet resonates with me. I put that experience down as one of the top pleasures in life. I am a little strange I know
Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Isn't it funny that when you are doing or thinking of doing the Camino, that your priorities seem to change.

Nancy, great idea that you have there!

Now the question is...(close your ears, gentlemen!) what is the best type of bra to bring?

CaminoKris2013

Thank you Caitlin, you have saved me a great deal of time. I am going in May/June 2013 for my first Camino - Frances (St Jean PdP to Santiago). So very much looking forward to this. Happy New Year to you. Brent (Vancouver, Canada) :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: My comprehensive and honest packing list

Hi!
Delighted to have found a packing list! Thanks!
I hope to start from SJPP mid May 2013- I am a retired 64 yr old , worrying about the weight of a rucksack. I wonder is there any info out there about the best companies to use to send on stuff to the next albergue? How much would it cost ? How safe is it? etc.? So many concerns!

the best companies to use to send on stuff to the next albergue
Try:

http://www.jacotrans.com/

There are several other companies, so this is not an endorsement of Jacotrans over the others! They just have the easiest website to find...

Remember that municipal and parochial albergues do not accept bags, and may not accept pilgrims who have used a baggage service to get to the edge of town.

To: CaminoKris2013: " Now the question is...(close your ears, gentlemen!) what is the best type of bra to bring?"

IBEX is the best brand in sports undergarments that I have found in my many years of backpacking. Believe it or not, the undies and the top are made out of wool so light you don't even feel them. The greatest thing about these is that they do not absorb odors, they keep you warm if you it's cold, or help keep you cool if it's hot. Lightweight, and no they are not itchy at all. I love them :) Doing the Camino del Norte in May!

Mary

I didnt bring the condoms :)

For my next trip in October, I am staying only in private accomodation so I am ditching the liner, the sleeping bag, the spoon/fork and the towel which will make my pack much lighter.

I used my I phone for everything and brought along a Europrean I phone charger so I didnt have to bring a convertor plug which saved space.

I am however going to bring a foldable hair dryer to dry all my socks which never seemed to dry and also rope for hanging my washing out because private accomodation dont have clothes lines and washing machines.. this is my only regret in staying in private accomodation.

I also brought a sink plug which came in handy for clothes washing.

I anticipate my pack to be lighter.. around 5kgs this trip although it was already very light on the last trip.

I used cotton sports bras which were very comfortable and in Asia, we can buy disposable underwear so I brought enough for the whole trip and threw them away every day (I know it's bad for the environment) but I always had clean hygenic underwear.

All my clothes were Patagonia and they were super comfortable and soft. I slept in my clothes I was walking in the next day so I only had 2 sets of clothes in total. I did take 3 pairs of socks though just in case it didnt dry. I found I didnt need my liners and I didnt use them because it meant I had more to wash at the end of each day.

On my trip this year, I am also going to bring a travel dress (Kathmandu) and a travel skirt (Macpac).. all light weight and dries very quickly. I figured I want to look decent in the evenings and I can afford to carry the weight now that I am ditching a few things from my previous trip.

I am an Aussie girl and Australia has great gear for hiking so I am looking forward to doing the Camino with my new stuff.

Hi all - I read a lot of packing lists when I was preparing for the camino, but none of them seemed quite as long as mine ended up being once I'd itemised every single thing, weighed it and added it to my spreadsheet! I thought my list might be of interest or use to some other forum members - see attachment.

I have to add, as you can see I took a bunch of things that many would disapprove of, such as makeup, an ipod and kindle, and not one but TWO dresses! But I also managed to keep my weight down by shopping carefully for lightweight essentials and making a couple of lightweight items myself (I'm a sewer). I ended up using absolutely everything I took and was, to be honest, thrilled to be able to listen to music sometimes (I even discovered that you can listen to an ipod and birdsong *simultaneously*!!) and look vaguely stylish in the evenings. I didn't have any trouble at all with my pack and most of the time was barely even conscious of having it on. My advice to newbies, therefore, is actually that if you really want to take the odd luxury and can squeeze it in while keeping to a reasonable pack weight, go for your life!

I also highly recommend the somewhat crazy act of making a weight spreadsheet like mine and using it as a planning tool. I chose a weight I was comfortable with, categorised everything as either essential or luxury, and then pared down a few things from my list until I hit my target weight.

photostream
Hi Caitlin, It is nice to see everyone enjoying your post and the 'process' - I sure am! I am doing the Camino France in July 2014 and the only question I had was "What time of the year did you go?" - you seem to have some cool weather clothes. I brought a LBD and silk scarves when I biked toured France and felt great in the evenings too.

photostream

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
To: CaminoKris2013: " Now the question is...(close your ears, gentlemen!) what is the best type of bra to bring?"

IBEX is the best brand in sports undergarments that I have found in my many years of backpacking. Believe it or not, the undies and the top are made out of wool so light you don't even feel them. The greatest thing about these is that they do not absorb odors, they keep you warm if you it's cold, or help keep you cool if it's hot. Lightweight, and no they are not itchy at all. I love them :) Doing the Camino del Norte in May!

Mary
thanks mary, I too am doing the camino in may. great information.

Reading the above, the single biggest factor I can see that increases pack weight is simply that "stuff" for women tends to be smaller and lighter than the same "stuff" for men. Everything: pants, shirts, fleece, underwear, socks, and boots are all heavier.

I suppose we larger folks are handicapped. But when I see people stating they are carrying only 6 - 7 Kg and using a 33 liter pack, I am envious. I keep trying to figure out if I can use light, Ultra-Sil compression sacks to reduce the volume so I can use a smaller rucksack - no joy so far.:(

I use an Excel spreadsheet and am weighing every single item that I plan on taking. Even items so light that they so not register on the digital scale are being assigned a minimum value of 1 gram or .01 ounce.

I walked the Camino Francis last year and ended up mailing about 4 kg down the road to Ivar's place in Santiago (2.5 from Pamplona and another 1.5 from Burgos). This year, I am trying to avoid that by packing lighter. However, due to a chronic medical issue, I must carry an additional 2.5 Kg of nutritional supplements (protein powder) to start. It becomes incrementally lighter each day. But, then again, as I walk more, I gain strength, and the added weight is not a problem anyway.

But 33 liters? No way - I have to use a 48 liter Osprey Kestrel just to accommodate the larger sized clothing items.

I am still at 12 Kg and climbing... I know in the end I will have to shave more weight. But, at some point I simply run out of places to shave, and have to accept that a larger, heavier pack is simply what is indicated.

Oh well, we each have our personal cross to carry - might is incrementally larger...;)

@t2andreo - the pack weight and pack volume discussion goes back and forth, often without any apparent rhythm or reason. If one accepts for a moment the 10% guideline for summer pack base weight, then I would have a target base weight of around 8.5kg at my walking weight in summer. My experience is that reasonable packing densities are between 200gm/li and 230gm/li for Camino type loads (ie without items like fuel and cooking and eating equipment), indicating my base load requires about 37li if I am prepared to pack really tightly, or 43li if I want a bit more flexibility. Adding an allowance for consumables brings my summer pack volume into the 40-48li range.

Yet despite what seems pretty apparent, that larger people will have a heavier load, and a heavier load requires a larger pack, many contributors will offer advice on pack volume without having any idea how much the person they are offering that advice to weighs.o_O

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@t2andreo - the pack weight and pack volume discussion goes back and forth, often without any apparent rhythm or reason. If one accepts for a moment the 10% guideline for summer pack base weight, then I would have a target base weight of around 8.5kg at my walking weight in summer. My experience is that reasonable packing densities are between 200gm/li and 230gm/li for Camino type loads (ie without items like fuel and cooking and eating equipment), indicating my base load requires about 37li if I am prepared to pack really tightly, or 43li if I want a bit more flexibility. Adding an allowance for consumables brings my summer pack volume into the 40-48li range.

Yet despite what seems pretty apparent, that larger people will have a heavier load, and a heavier load requires a larger pack, many contributors will offer advice on pack volume without having any idea how much the person they are offering that advice to weighs.o_O

Regards,

Precisely! It is like the old saw: "I am NOT overweight...I am under-tall!"

I was out and about earlier today and I visited one of the outdoor shops I patronize to look at the 2014 revision of the Osprey Talon series. The new version of the Talon 33 liter rucksack is a lot of pack for the money. The Talon 44 is also a lot of pack for the money. It will likely remain very popular with pilgrims...at least for the more diminutive folks whose stuff will fit. But, I cannot figure out HOW all my stuff could ever fit in so small a volume.

So, I think I will stick with what I know works...my Osprey Kestrel 48. Besides, it is very comfortable and we have a "relationship."

I am trying to get to a static load state, where I determine what works, "freeze" that packing specification, and do not have to micro-analyze the load every time I do a Camino. I was even considering leaving the pack mostly packed and ready to go, after washing and servicing everything once I returned home.

I seek to get to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it point."

Thank you manoll for your comment about the bra. I have a heavier bosom on a small frame. A breast cancer survivor. I need a bra that will hold me firm but be light weight. Front opening or back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I might be the one requesting people not take perfume.
You are sleeping in a common area with other people who may be very allergic to your perfume and other scented sprays.
Where makeup or lipstick doesn't hurt others, fragrances can be horrific to some.
If the pilgrimage begins and ends in the heart, consideration to others might be a nice place to start.

By the way, I do book private lodging where there are such problems, but it's a shame I have to.
MOST pilgrims do not wear perfume.
They'd rather smell perfume of the clean air and the wildflowers.

Regarding your packing list:

I’d leave the following at home:

Nylon pants, 1 pair of undies, the dress, the fork, knife, and spoon, the ipod or the kindle, the pocket knife, 1 water bottle, the cortisone cream, the eyedrops, the brow pencil, the lipstick, the mascara, the moisturizer, the razor, the soap or shampoo (just take one), the suction hook, the tampons and pads (buy them there?), the moisturizer, the laundry detergent (buy a bar there)

In the end, it really doesn't matter to argue.
It's your Camino, do what you want to.
But something I've seen over and over and over is the FREE BOX full of items that people did not need to bring and are too expensive to ship home.
Things like sleeping pads, extra clothing, panties, bathing suits, towels, and yes, lots of lotions, hair products and makeup.
When push comes to shove, people lighten their load and free themselves up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

So, I think I will stick with what I know works...my Osprey Kestrel 48. Besides, it is very comfortable and we have a "relationship."

I am trying to get to a static load state, where I determine what works, "freeze" that packing specification, and do not have to micro-analyze the load every time I do a Camino. I was even considering leaving the pack mostly packed and ready to go, after washing and servicing everything once I returned home.

I seek to get to the "If it ain't broke don't fix it point."
We have kept our packs for the Camino, using smaller ones for local walks and some training. Also the Camino clothes are kept - mine virtually live in my pack. It helps to only have minor tweaks to the packing and as you say 'If it isn't broke, don't fix it' We find that rolling stuff gets it to pack down smaller and it comes out less creased too. Everything, even the socks will roll and pack easily. :) Then there is extra space for a bocadillo or two.......

We have kept our packs for the Camino, using smaller ones for local walks and some training. Also the Camino clothes are kept - mine virtually live in my pack. It helps to only have minor tweaks to the packing and as you say 'If it isn't broke, don't fix it' We find that rolling stuff gets it to pack down smaller and it comes out less creased too. Everything, even the socks will roll and pack easily. :) Then there is extra space for a bocadillo or two.......

Thank you for the insight. At least I know I am on the right track.;)

photostream

Hey Caitlin, just wondering what size of pack you used?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

photostream
Nothing at all vain about liking what you like and looking how you want to look.

Re: Packing tampons/pads I will be walking for the first time in June 2014 and I have opted to use the Diva Cup. http://divacup.com/t
It is a tiny little silicone cup that packs nicely and weighs very little. I have been using it for the past few months. In addition to not having to bring bulky pads or tampons I love it because it is comfortable/non-existant, environmentally friendly and saves you money. I bought mine for @30$.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Packing tampons/pads I will be walking for the first time in June 2014 and I have opted to use the Diva Cup. http://divacup.com/t
It is a tiny little silicone cup that packs nicely and weighs very little. I have been using it for the past few months. In addition to not having to bring bulky pads or tampons I love it because it is comfortable/non-existant, environmentally friendly and saves you money. I bought mine for @30$.
This is a good plan! I don't personally like using the Diva Cup. At home I use Lunapads, but obviously this isn't practical while on Camino! My doctor recently switched me to a new birth control pill that goes nine weeks in between periods. While I didn't switch *because of* the camino, it's very practical to not have to worry about a period at all while walking!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.