A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID My "CoronaCamino 2020"

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés febr/march (2012)
Camino Francés febr/march (2019)
Camino Francés febr/march (2020)
Certainly a very strange Camino....but I enjoyed it while I could.

From the very first day, the virus seemed to be far away...but everyone talked about it sometimes
IMG_20200225_174800-min.jpg

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Tough day.....No rain anymore, but the sun is begin to punish....I walk slowly because of the pain in my legs. Soooo tired...
Escáner_20200318 (9).jpg

Last edited:

Levi

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2015
VDLP 2016
Portuguese March 2017
Sanabres September 2017
Madrid September 2018
Thank you so much. I love these! And I think (judging by the weather) I was walking around the same time. My Camino finished in Burgos last Friday and, like you, I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
A very special tree for me (Alto de San Anton, before Nájera). Each time I walked the Camino, no matter what, I spend some minutes seated under it. A kind of friend...🤷‍♂️
Escáner_20200318 (11).jpg

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
New mate on my Camino today: the wind. Or better, the hurricane. Before getting to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, even a gust made me fall to the ground. Lovely Camino!
Escáner_20200318 (12).jpg

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Oh! this was funny. After maybe the most tiring day, trying to walk for hours against the hurricane, the rooster woke me up at 5:00 AM
Escáner_20200318 (13).jpg

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
First surprise on my Camino: I had about 41 days scheduled just because I could, and I wanted to walk slowly from Roncesvalles to Muxia. Time enough!!
I receipt a message from work.
- "Could you be back April first week??"
- Not at all (I thought)
Escáner_20200318 (14).jpg
And....this is me, trying to cath the first train, buying some time to arrive to Muxia😄
And, yes, it begun to snow. I already had my Meteo Poker so far: Cold, rain, wind, sun ...and snow

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Uphill again. But a nice day, arriving to Astorga, in time for a toast for my niece in her "sweet sixteen"
Escáner_20200318 (17).jpg

Last edited:

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
And.....one of the great days: Cruz de Ferro!!
Of course I dropped there my stone
Escáner_20200318 (19).jpg

But the day, again, was hard with a kind of summer sun blasting like hell!

Escáner_20200318 (20).jpg

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
And, finally, after spend the night in Villafranca del Bierzo, I realized than "the thing" now is getting really serious.
Time to think and make a choice.
My Camino will always be there, but is time to haul down sails, and come back to my safe harbour 🤷‍♂️. This meant to take a bus to Santiago, and a train to A Coruña (good friends living there, and a good shelter in case of confination), although the next day I was able to take a train home to Barcelona, and confine myself properly at home.
End of history
To be continued...??
Escáner_20200318 (22).jpg

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Oh, this was wonderful! Thank you so much. 💖 Your illustration are lovely and your humor made me laugh out loud. (I wonder if that little snail ever made it to Santiago? 🥰). Wishing you all the best.

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Francais: 2002, 2012, 2019. (Future Ingles, Primitivo, Portuguese in 2021)
Had me laugh-gulp-snorting my coffee! The wheelchair chap's muttered remarks in French -- Zut alors!

Witthout taking a single element away from Kiernan's brilliant and hilarious posts, I think if Heath Robinson and Ronald Searle ever walked the Camino -- it would look rather like this!

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
B..R..A..V..O. You lifted all of our Spirits! You are very talented and I am very grateful for sharing your gift with us!

Last edited:

Sue127

Camino(s) past & future
French Camino in 2020
Absolutely brilliant. I love the humour in your pictures and the way you laugh at your own situations - I hope I can do the same when we are all, eventually, allowed to step out.
😊

Camino(s) past & future
Future
So, so, so… Gratehul.
Unexpected piece of gem as a gift given to tackle these tricky times. Need to say I'm feeling torn between your sense of humor, so natural, and the vibe your drawings give off.
Thank you sooooo!

gschmidl

sator arepo tenet opera rotas
Camino(s) past & future
Kumano Kodo (11/2018), Camino Sanabres (4/2019)
Incredible. Thank you.

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Camino(s) past & future
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
These are really delightful. They deserve to be displayed in Santiago when pilgrimage resumes.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Uphill again. But a nice day, arriving to Astorga, in time for a toast for my niece in her "sweet sixteen"
View attachment 71217
Love your drawings! I would especially like this one as I am the new owner of the Albergue Villares de Órbigo ;). Timing is not great, signed the purchase agreement on Friday and Saturday we had to close down😞

Last edited:

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Love your drawings! I would especially like this one as I am the new owner of the Albergue Villares de Órbigo ;). Timing is not great, signed the purchase agreement on Friday and Saturday we had to close down😞
:oops:
Lee!!!! I slept there a couple of weeks ago!! Clue: having dinner with you and Chris, I talked about it was going to be my last Camino, and I was sure about that. (but you were right....I'll be back)
Sad to know about the closure of one of the best albergues in CF

Ekelund

Camino(s) past & future
“It’s your road, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.” Rumi
Wonderful! Beautiful! Thank you for putting a big smile on my face. I love your story.

Yoyo

➜ I'd rather be walking ➜
Camino(s) past & future
2017: CF 800 km
2019: CF 180 km
What a great diary! Thank you so much for sharing!

Blintintin

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2018)
qué maravilloso....your humour is subtle the characterization is completely endearing....
yes a daily cartoon strip is very easy to imagine ...perhaps about ....la vida cotidiana española . ...that would be wonderful tonic these days. this was a lovely lovely lovely way to end a really tough day...muchísimas gracias, it still leaves me with a lingering smile.

Chris Taggart

Merrill23
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2013, Leon to Santiago 2018, Porto to Santiago 2019. Pamplona to Burgos (2020)
Thank you, a joyful moment, smiles in these moments of the unknown.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Frances to Finisterre/Muxia staring Sept. 2015,

Via de la Plata 2019
Thank you, thank you , thank you. Made me laugh out loud and start a new day .

FooteK

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC, 2013; Lourdes to SdC, 2015; ??? to SdC (2020)
This was amazing! You have so much talent. My Dad and my son can do this, the talent skipped a generation. I would LOVE to see the rest of your Camino. Do you do this professionally?

Peligro

I walk between cafe breaks
Camino(s) past & future
St. Jean to SdC the slow way (Aug'15, Aug'17, Jan'18, Aug'18, Jan'19, Jul'19) Primitivo (May'20)
I can't wait for the sequel! Bravo!!!

LTfit

Veteran Member
:oops:
Lee!!!! I slept there a couple of weeks ago!! Clue: having dinner with you and Chris, I talked about it was going to be my last Camino, and I was sure about that. (but you were right....I'll be back)
Sad to know about the closure of one of the best albergues in CF
How cool is that?!? Of course I remember you and the conversation ! Us Forum members are just everywhere:D! I guess that you will just have to start back up again in Villares de Orbigo;)

I would love to frame that picture and place it in the albergue. Pm me if there is any possibility of getting a copy of the drawing.

Ultreia @Kiernan glad you made it home. Stay safe and keep up the great work!

Last edited:

katie@camino

Camino(s) past & future
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
Oh!!! Congratulations! And commiserations! This reminds me of Rilke - beauty and terror being both sides of the same coin.
I will make sure I stay when I next pass through. Wishing you all the best in the coming months.

p3nny

Camino(s) past & future
September (2013), June (2015), June (2018) July (2019)
So much fun. Thank you for this.

Cayou

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Villafranca to SdC 2016 St Jean to LosArcos 2018 Leon to SdC 2019 Le Puy to Conques
Kiernan: You're the BEST! Haven't laughed so much since 2015
when I read "I'm off Then" by Hape Kerkerling

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
When I saw the title of this thread I thought of the song My Sharona, and of course there is a parody called My Corona

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Certainly a very strange Camino....but I enjoyed it while I could.

From the very first day, the virus seemed to be far away...but everyone talked about it sometimes
View attachment 71186
You certainly have a beautiful talent and thank you for sharing it. Michael Leunig had better watch his back... not in terms of content, his speciality is political comment if I am correct, but I think you might enjoy each other’s gifts.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I loved your adorable drawings and the humor that you included in each one. I agree with other posters that a book is a great idea.
Thanks for sharing your talent and camino with all of us.

Peadarmac

Irlandes Pedro
Camino(s) past & future
Astorga-S de C '11,'18,19
St Jean-Belorado '13 & '17
Belorado-Astorga '15
Fisterra-Muxia '11,'18,'19
Friends,

We are not in complete lockdown at present here in Ireland but we are anticipating the call very soon.

While walking the beach yesterday I came across this curious shell.

A tiny baby shell looks like it is growing anew from the old shell. Maybe it's a sign that whatever else may come the Camino will indeed renew itself ! For all our Familia español who look after us on our various Caminos I trust and pray all will be well.

ULTREIA !

Stay safe and well Comrades ✊👍IMG_3683.JPGIMG_3682.JPG

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Friends,

We are not in complete lockdown at present here in Ireland but we are anticipating the call very soon.

While walking the beach yesterday I came across this curious shell.

A tiny baby shell looks like it is growing anew from the old shell. Maybe it's a sign that whatever else may come the Camino will indeed renew itself ! For all our Familia español who look after us on our various Caminos I trust and pray all will be well.

ULTREIA !

Stay safe and well Comrades ✊👍View attachment 71426View attachment 71427
What a beautiful shell!

Amused212

Camino(s) past & future
And, finally, after spend the night in Villafranca del Bierzo, I realized than "the thing" now is getting really serious.
Time to think and make a choice.
My Camino will always be there, but is time to haul down sails, and come back to my safe harbour 🤷‍♂️. This meant to take a bus to Santiago, and a train to A Coruña (good friends living there, and a good shelter in case of confination), although the next day I was able to take a train home to Barcelona, and confine myself properly at home.
End of history
To be continued...??
View attachment 71222
Wonderful. And so creative.

Myra13

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017+2019; Portugues 2018; VdlP 2020
I really enjoyed your drawings. They are wonderful. And recognizable.
Thank you very much for sharing.

Lost Pilgrims

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portuguese (2017)

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
Estupendo!
Maybe the sequel could be “A Daily Look at @Kiernan in Lockdown”

(also.....what colours do I see? Potters Pink, raw Sienna, light turquoise...do you mix your own greens or use sap, hookers and???)

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
I need to come again, totally overwhelmed!, to say thank you.
I would like to answer everyone, but I'll just say how grateful I am for your coments, comparisons with authentic genious included (wow:eek:)

My family and friends use to encourage me to edit my drawings (just a hobby, although I did a couple of "little things" in the past). This time i'm thinking seriously about that, but the software needed to all this, is my biggest enemy...I'm doing my best, but I can't promise anything 😅

Thank you all again

K.

Kiernan

Camino(s) past & future
Estupendo!
Maybe the sequel could be “A Daily Look at @Kiernan in Lockdown”

(also.....what colours do I see? Potters Pink, raw Sienna, light turquoise...do you mix your own greens or use sap, hookers and???)
I'm not very familiar with the technical color's names. Raw sienna for sure. The rest.......
578ce7ab-5401-452c-a5ab-97e3bc46be12-min(1).jpg😇

NancyLee

Camino(s) past & future
First Camino Mar-April 2018
Thank you for sharing your journey in such a creative, cheerful expression. I am very glad you are safe at home. 🎒🏡🛌
Nancy Lee (working front lines in Canada 🇨🇦)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 11.43.37.png
NancyLee, thanks for all you are doing. You have added your name to my candle list. These two little girls have got the message, and are joining in lighting a candle each evening for a one minute silence in support.

EDIT: Moderators, please remove if this is too far from OP. I was just responding straight to NancyLee's statement of fact, her work on the frontlines.

zenofmatthew

Camino(s) past & future
The dimensions of
length and breadth are now unplanned,
depth and time are cast.
Thanks for this. I heard your interview on the Camino podcast, and i'd planned to do the same, make lots of pictures. Instead, here we are in the brave new world.

Rmarkob

Camino(s) past & future
April 2020 (postponed indefinitely)
I need to come again, totally overwhelmed!, to say thank you.
I would like to answer everyone, but I'll just say how grateful I am for your coments, comparisons with authentic genious included (wow:eek:)

My family and friends use to encourage me to edit my drawings (just a hobby, although I did a couple of "little things" in the past). This time i'm thinking seriously about that, but the software needed to all this, is my biggest enemy...I'm doing my best, but I can't promise anything 😅

Thank you all again

K.
I found this post and joined the forum after hearing you on The Camino Podcast. Thank You! I was supposed to start my first Camino 3 weeks from today upon my retirement, but it can wait until Spain and the rest of the world get past this. Meanwhile, everybody keep safe!

Hugh Larkin

Perpetual Wanderer
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2014
Sanabria 2018
Pieterpad 2018
Kumano Kodo (202??)
I, too, heard your interview on the Camino Podcast. It was fun to hear what you described and even better to see what you illustrated. Thank you for sharing your story.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock