• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My equipment that people coveted

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1408155668.367316.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1408155742.219258.jpg
When I was walking this spring I took an iphone and a tiny keyboard that flipped out to be a generous size. Without exception, every time I had it out, someone asked to look at it and for details about it.
The photos show it closed up and open for use - with my bulky phone cover for size comparison. It weighs 168g and so is much lighter than carrying an ipad, but has the functionality of being able to type and not peck.
Unfortunately it did not make the screen on my phone larger - if it had, it would have been perfect!
They are a very inexpensive piece of equipment, but very useful.
If you are in NZ and want one, my hubby is currently selling half a dozen of them for $10 each. He has both Dell and iGo models - they are pretty much the same except for colour. Dell is in picture, iGo is grey with bright lettering on the keys. His ones come with a black zipped case - I just kept mine in my bumbag is it was fine.
(I took these pictures last week to share the info - it just so happens that hubby brought some home to sell last night!! The main purpose of this post remains to highlight the usefulness of this little piece of equipment that was the cause of so much pilgrim envy!
BTW they run off two AAA batteries - although I carried spares with me, I have not had to change them for over five months now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you SO much Rachel!! I'm looking for this sort of keyboard to take in 2 weeks! Would I be able to use either the Dell or the iGo with my iPod Touch - the iPhone is crappy. Do they need to be connected to internet- will wee-fee work? thank you, thank you!!
Terry

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rachel -- your post made me smile. when we walk next spring we are planning to bring an iPad mini and a fold out keyboard. I am in Idaho in the US or I would take you up and order a keyboard! Each one of us will carry one thing (being able to divide and conquer is great! We had a regular cell phone last time and had lots of issues with signal. Plus we found that getting on the internet from the albergues just didn't work. So many people have electronics with them and wifi is so good that the internet terminals are just not kept up. Liz

One of my favorite forum member pictures has just changed. I love that picture of the whole family from behind!

What a great device, Kiwi mama, I've never seen that but it would be well worth it IMO. Laurie

Sorry Laurie. It's just that I was carrying a not-yet-two-year-old in that photo and she has just walked over 1,000km as an 8-y-o!!!! I'll switch to one of my favourite pics from this camino (although I'm sure not all of it will fit as an avatar)who we met (17).JPG

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry Laurie. It's just that I was carrying a not-yet-two-year-old in that photo and she has just walked over 1,000km as an 8-y-o!!!! I'll switch to one of my favourite pics from this camino (although I'm sure not all of it will fit as an avatar)View attachment 12559
This will do until you get the whole crew back on the Camino and can have a shot of everyone.

This is a GREAT photo, btw, I just hope the others don't feel excluded. And of course, your avatar photo is entirely your business, I hope you know my comment was said in wistful jest! Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I flirted with carrying stuff in a microlight day bag (38g) but it just wasn't quite comfortable enough and not quite large enough. At that point I had got down to 3.3k!

View attachment 12500View attachment 12501
When I was walking this spring I took an iphone and a tiny keyboard that flipped out to be a generous size. Without exception, every time I had it out, someone asked to look at it and for details about it.
The photos show it closed up and open for use - with my bulky phone cover for size comparison. It weighs 168g and so is much lighter than carrying an ipad, but has the functionality of being able to type and not peck.
Unfortunately it did not make the screen on my phone larger - if it had, it would have been perfect!
They are a very inexpensive piece of equipment, but very useful.
If you are in NZ and want one, my hubby is currently selling half a dozen of them for $10 each. He has both Dell and iGo models - they are pretty much the same except for colour. Dell is in picture, iGo is grey with bright lettering on the keys. His ones come with a black zipped case - I just kept mine in my bumbag is it was fine.
(I took these pictures last week to share the info - it just so happens that hubby brought some home to sell last night!! The main purpose of this post remains to highlight the usefulness of this little piece of equipment that was the cause of so much pilgrim envy!
BTW they run off two AAA batteries - although I carried spares with me, I have not had to change them for over five months now.
How can i buy one????? erica nz

One of my favorite forum member pictures has just changed. I love that picture of the whole family from behind!
Me too. It reminded me of that scene at the end of Schindler's List when all the Jews come over the brow of the hill side by side. Yerushalayim shel zahav as backing music.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So do I hold on to what *was* (our whole family doing stuff together, especially hiking) or do I recognise who we are now? My youngest has asked to walk the Arctic Circle Trail in Greenland - something tells me it will end up just the two youngest girls and me (and maybe - hopefully - Daddy too). Older ones with jobs and studies no longer have the freedom to join us. This has taken some adjustment for me, but now I'm celebrating the thought that the smallest ones are big enough to carry gear and we can perhaps start overnight hikes that require carrying tent and stove and food......a new chapter.
But I could dig out the old photo, because it signifies info I can contribute here;-)

erica nz - flick me a message with your details

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.