• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino (August). Still have questions unclear

AuraLT

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning to walk the Camino in August 2016.
Hello lovely peregrinos,
it's been a while I've been preparing for my first Camino which I'm starting on the 20 of August. I'm arriving to Madrid on the 19th and want to start from Leon. At the moment I'm trying to find the best way to get to Leon from Madrid (any recommendations?). I'm arriving in the late afternoon and want to reach Leon on the same day. Then I wonder to spend the night there and do my first steps on the Camino in the early morning from La Virgen del Camino. But I still have some things unclear about my willings.
1. Can I find any bus from Leon to La Virgen del Camino in the early morning or would it be recommended to get there the same day I arrive to Madrid? Do you probably know if there is a transportation that I could use directly from Madrid or from Leon but in the late evening?
2. Where could I get a credential when arrived and who would give me the first stamp (I will start in the early morning)?
3. Where can I get there the Camino guide with all accommodations and maps?
4. Anyone else starting the same day? :)

I'm sorry in advance if I bother with maybe the same questions that have already been posted, but there are so much information and discussions that make me a little bit confused. :)

Thank you in advance and hope to meet you on the Way!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have not tried this leg but the AVE now runs to from Madrid to Leon. I would check the schedules and if one coincides with your timing try to use it as it should be convenient and super fast. I would advise buying your ticket in advance through the internet.

http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/larga_distancia/productos/

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello lovely peregrinos,
it's been a while I've been preparing for my first Camino which I'm starting on the 20 of August. I'm arriving to Madrid on the 19th and want to start from Leon. At the moment I'm trying to find the best way to get to Leon from Madrid (any recommendations?). I'm arriving in the late afternoon and want to reach Leon on the same day. Then I wonder to spend the night there and do my first steps on the Camino in the early morning from La Virgen del Camino. But I still have some things unclear about my willings.
1. Can I find any bus from Leon to La Virgen del Camino in the early morning or would it be recommended to get there the same day I arrive to Madrid? Do you probably know if there is a transportation that I could use directly from Madrid or from Leon but in the late evening?
2. Where could I get a credential when arrived and who would give me the first stamp (I will start in the early morning)?

I'm sorry in advance if I bother with maybe the same questions that have already been posted, but there are so much information and discussions that make me a little bit confused. :)

Hi AuraLT

I don't know about getting from Madrid to Leon, however,

I'm sure you can get an early bus from Leon to La Virgen del Camino, I do not know the times. As far as I know you cannot get a credencial in La Virgen, (I know the albergue there does not have them) it would be best to pick one up in Leon.

Why not stay overnight in Leon? It is a beautiful place, it would be a shame not to spend an evening there at least. If you stay in Leon at the Albergue Santa Maria they have credencials there. Then you can get a stamp from Leon cathedral too. By staying in Leon you would be able to pick up a guidebook there too, ask at the albergue.

Buen Camino
Davey

Hi again,

For the credential, you can get one at the cathedral, or (at least in 2012) at the tourist office, vis-à-vis of the cathedral.

For the guide and the maps, you will have to use Google and get some PDF. I doubt you will find something early morning in Leon at Sunday morning: most of the people are still sleeping...

For Virgen del Camino, you can walk (roughly 2 hours) or take a taxi. I'm not aware of the bus schedule.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

1. Just walk from Leon to Virgen del Camino - it isn't 'bad' walk and gives you some insight how people live in Spain plus a many bars to get you used to Cafe con Leche plus tapas. I like it ;-)

2. If possible, get it beforehand, either here from the forum or from your local chapter. Or, if that is not possible, the Benedictine albergue, Las Carbajalas, have them also. First stamp - where ever you like, cathedral, first cafe con leche stop , post office ...
3. Here from the forum shop or Amazon.
4. I wish!

Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Aura,
I took the train from Madrid to Leon in 2014 and arrived early evening so while I don't remember exactly, I think we left Madrid late afternoon. We stayed in Leon, went to the pilgrim office in the morning to get our creditentials and went to the Cathedral. It is beautiful and if you can fit it in, it is worth seeing. We then bused to Virgen Del Camino but stayed overnight and started the next day. Our decision was based on really wet weather and being pretty jet lagged. However it would have been doable to actually start our walk that day if only to get as far as Villar de Mazarife (maybe 15k). If you can get to Virgen by mid to late morning I'd say go for it. But maybe book in advance in case you don't get in until late afternoon.
My recollection of Leon is that the pilgrim office, Cathedral and where we got the bus were very near each other.
Buen Camino
Diane

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The bus to La Virgen leaves Santo Domingo Plaza in Leon on the 15s and 45s starting at 0615 on weekdays. Saturdays are less frequent on the even hour every two hours starting at 0800. So few riders went to the airport that the bus no longer goes all the way to the airport. The Sunday schedule is slightly more frequent with the first departure at 0830, hourly until 1330, then on the even hours starting at 1600.

The train from Madrid Chamartin is very convenient to Leon. There is a bus stop across from the old train station for the bus to La Virgen. The albergue at La Virgen has become very busy in the summer with pilgrims that avoid Leon, so you may want to prepare for a hotel. There are several goods ones that are reasonably priced. The Hostal Central is almost next to the albergue. Also nearby is the Hostal Plaza which has rooms in several buildings nearby. At least in the winter, the reception is at the cafe Restaurante El Peregrino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree that the simplest thing to do is stay the night in Leon. It is a great city and a pretty common starting point. You will meet people you will be walking with for the next weeks.
1. You can get the credential in Leon...not in Virgen.
2. You will make a few friends the first night and while walking in the morning to Virgen.
3. If you have already made some type of reservation in Virgen....simply change it to a day later...or cancel and stay at the albergue with the rest of the people from Leon.:)

ALSA offers bus service from Madrid to Leon. Some buses continue on to Virgin del Camino.

Buses go from Madrid Barajas T4, Moncloa, and Estacion Sur. Choice will depend on that which best suits your schedule. All bus stations can be accessed from the airport using the Metro. Estacion Sur is co-located with Mendez Alvaro.

Renfe trains go from Madrid Chamartin to Leon. You can get to Chamartin using Cercanias from T4 or Metro from either Terminal building.

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

The Brierley guidebook is widely used as a guide by many pilgrims and is recommended.

There will be a stream of pilgrims on the camino. You will recognize them immediately.

Look at the Alsa website for the bus schedule from the airport to Leon. Super convinient.

The bus from Leon to Virgen is a regular city bus with regular departures from the large round about in the center of Leon.

Buy a guide while at home as you will not likely find one in Leon. Lots of info on websites like Eroski and Gronze.

The Leon albergues will have credenciales, if one has run out another will have some. But to be sure, you can buy it from the forum. In fact, if you buy a guidebook from the Forum the Credencial will be free.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You don't mention arrival time, but if it is late afternoon, you will not be able to reach León before sunset. So, getting a credencial at the usual places (municipal albergue, Tourism bureau) will be difficult. You will need an albergue that provide it; and be sure to notify in advance your late arrival (many close doors at 10 PM).
You can, alternatively, get the credencial early in the morning, take a bus to Virgen del Camino, and make a not long walk to Villar de Mazarife.
About the guide, you can buy it in many places and countries, in printed or digital version; you can also consult the free online guides, make your own digest and print it. And, in the worst (or best) case, it is not indispensable; actually you can just go, follow the signposts, an stop wherever you like. It is a very "domesticated" walk, everything is organized and easy.
My advice: take it easy; don't put too much pressure on yourself. And you will have to improvise a lot on the spot; it is part of the experience.

Hi. I'm at Leon right now.

2. & 3. From the Train or Bus station, you will walk the main road that leads to the Cathedral (Av Ordono II). First you cross the river there's the first roundabout. Just before the 2nd roundabout, turn right (AV. Independencia), the first building you see, there's the Perigrino Association (take the lift to Level 5). They have the credential for Euro2 and will also provide some guides (on alburgues etc). They will give you the first stamp there too. But if you are looking for more detailed route guides like the John Brierley, I think shops around the Cathedral have them. But for sure I saw one at a Sports Shop on Calle Rua (first street on your right) after that 2nd roundabout towards the cathedral. All this is if you arrive Leon on Friday or Saturday. I'm not sure if the Perigrino Asso. is opened on Sunday. Also, note that most places are closed between 2-4pm (some places even 5pm) for the siesta so you can't get much done during that time.

Buen Camino!

You don't actually NEED a guide book - we used to start out with just an A4 sheet of paper with the names of towns on them. Follow the first grubby person with a backpack that has a shell on it and you can't go far wrong!

However, if you scroll down you'll see " Most Popular Resources" where you can get listings.

As for a credential, as @SYates has posted elsewhere today you can now buy them at the post office - Correos

Have a great Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, we are walking from Leon next May. Flying into Madrid in the afternoon, overnight Madrid then train to Leon in the morning. We are doing 2 nights in Leon just to deal with jet lag and have a look around (flying from Australia). :)

Hello lovely peregrinos,

Dear AuraLT, You Camino Virgins make this forum soooo special. First word... R E L A X. You will be on the CAMINO.... perhaps the greatest moment of your life. Leon is a fantastic city.... you may think of staying an extra day actually. There is an albergue almost next to the cathedral. Clean, and very nice, but they have curfew. It used to be 9.30 pm. The municipal one is open 24 hours, no curfew but crowded and too big for my liking (though I have stayed there). A little far from the cathedral too. The cathedral area is very "happening and cool". Lots of great eating places and opportunity to just sit and reflect and watch the world go by. I would start walking from Leon. BUT.. you can take a city bus out of the city and then begin your walk. Stamps?? Anywhere... wherever u stop for a cafe con leche. Credential? Cathedral, albergue... anywhere. Breathe, relax, smile, you're going to do great. Buen Camino :), Caesar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear AuraLT, You Camino Virgins make this forum soooo special. First word... R E L A X. You will be on the CAMINO.... perhaps the greatest moment of your life. Leon is a fantastic city.... you may think of staying an extra day actually. There is an albergue almost next to the cathedral. Clean, and very nice, but they have curfew. It used to be 9.30 pm. The municipal one is open 24 hours, no curfew but crowded and too big for my liking (though I have stayed there). A little far from the cathedral too. The cathedral area is very "happening and cool". Lots of great eating places and opportunity to just sit and reflect and watch the world go by. I would start walking from Leon. BUT.. you can take a city bus out of the city and then begin your walk. Stamps?? Anywhere... wherever u stop for a cafe con leche. Credential? Cathedral, albergue... anywhere. Breathe, relax, smile, you're going to do great. Buen Camino :), Caesar
Agree with everything.

Buen Camino!:)

A list of albergues is available to download and print from this forum, and another of the profile (ups & downs) of the Camino. Both free, Along with lots of other useful 'stuff'. While a map is handy to have 'just in case' I doubt you will need to use one other than the odd occasion. The route is so well marked. If you stop in a city, city maps are easy to get for free from your accommodation or from information centres. I used the 'Outdoor' guide, which I ordered from this forum, it arrived a few days later. A great book that uses only basic maps.
A stamp is available at every cafe/bar you see.

I stayed at León Hostel. Twice. Both times I was in a large room (different rooms) with only 2 bunk beds (4 beds) in it. Large full length windows that opened to a small balcony. Less than 100 yards from the cathedral, on the main pedestrianised street. No curfew. Own keys. Very clean, nice communal area. €14 per night. I booked on booking dot com. Beds in León are hard to get on a Saturday. And the hostel is only manned at certain times of the day. Not sure what would happen if you arrived after the reception was closed. A tiny notice on the front door saying León Hostal means it is easy to miss, even when you are stood right outside it. A short walk from the train station. If you walk towards the cathedral you will pass the hostal.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank You Caesar for such a great answer, I really appreciate it, and thank You for such nice words that made my fears disappear (almost :) )

Thank You all so much for Your advises and recommendations, I really appreciate it, You are amazing people and hopefully all peregrinos whom I will meet on my Camino will be like You! You scared away my fears and I will follow the best advise - RELAX. Wish You all Buen Camino (if You're going to walk) and maybe see You there! ;)

Here is a good tip: If you arrive somewhere, are lost, or otherwise in dizzyness, ask the nearest pilgrim(s) for help: They/we will go out of their/our way (!) to help you out: You are not alone, you see; you have entered into your Pilgrim Family!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank You Alex! It's great to be in this family! I'm getting more and more excited to start my Camino. Very soon!

Thank You Alex! It's great to be in this family! I'm getting more and more excited to start my Camino. Very soon!
It may, or may not, interest you: Just 45 mins ago I booked my flights & a first night in a hostel in Burgos: Arriving on the afternoon of Sept. 01, and start walking in the morning of Sept 02... Easy!

I'm getting more and more excited to start my Camino. Very soon!
Indeed! It will be a relief to return to "my" Way again, :)

Hello lovely peregrinos,

Cant help on the Madrid part but there is a fairly regular service from Leon to La Virgen. You can get it in the main Plaza just down from the Cathedral, sorry, I cant remember the number but for some reason 4 comes into my mind. It is a busy bus stop so someone should be able to tell you which bus to get

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It may, or may not, interest you: Just 45 mins ago I booked my flights & a first night in a hostel in Burgos: Arriving on the afternoon of Sept. 01, and start walking in the morning of Sept 02... Easy!

Indeed! It will be a relief to return to "my" Way again, :)

Great, Alex! Seems like you're an experienced pilgrim, buen Camino! and thank you again for your help and support!

there is a fairly regular service from Leon to La Virgen.
The bus A1 leaves from Plaza de Santo Domingo to La Virgen. Weekdays it leaves a fifteen and forty-five minutes after the hour starting at 0715. It also stops at the train station the the way there. There three stops in La Virgen. The last one gets you the best stop for starting to walk the Camino. The middle one is closest to the albergue and the Hostal Central.

Thank You Caesar for such a great answer, I really appreciate it, and thank You for such nice words that made my fears disappear (almost :) )
You're most welcome, precious Camino Sister. Buen Camino :), May the Spirit be your guide and The Way be your Life, Caesar

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.