• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino June 2016

Leese_the_Wanderer

Time of past OR future Camino
"Plan to walk Camino Portuguese Coastal Route 2016"
Hi there, I'm a complete newbie but very excited to have stumbled across this site with so many Camino enthusiasts :)

I'm planning to cut my teeth on a short section of the Camino Portuguese Coastal Route starting this June in Porto- just a month's time now :0 Soooooooooo looking forward to it. I'm only walking six days north from there. If this is enough to make an addict of me, then maybe I'll do the whole French Camino next :)

Anyone else on this forum going to be around at that time? Or has anyone walked this route previously? I figured it'll be good for a first as it should be harder to get lost if I'm following the coast....

Leese

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You need to be careful. I found, after only 100 kms, that it is highly addictive.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there, I'm a complete newbie but very excited to have stumbled across this site with so many Camino enthusiasts :)

I'm planning to cut my teeth on a short section of the Camino Portuguese Coastal Route starting this June in Porto- just a month's time now :0 Soooooooooo looking forward to it. I'm only walking six days north from there. If this is enough to make an addict of me, then maybe I'll do the whole French Camino next :)

Anyone else on this forum going to be around at that time? Or has anyone walked this route previously? I figured it'll be good for a first as it should be harder to get lost if I'm following the coast....

Leese

Hi Leese. my husband and I will be walking from Porto, via the metro to Matoshinos on the 8th of June. We're arriving on the 6th and having a day exploring Porto before we set off. Maybe we'll see you there? Sheena

Hi Sheena :)

Looks like I'll be leaving Porto on June 4th, but we may well cross paths depending on how slowly/quickly we progress hehe

Have you done any other caminos? Do you speak any Portuguese? Argh! I'm so excited :)

Hi Sheena :)

Looks like I'll be leaving Porto on June 4th, but we may well cross paths depending on how slowly/quickly we progress hehe

Have you done any other caminos? Do you speak any Portuguese? Argh! I'm so excited :)

Hi Leese.
As we've booked our accommodation ahead already, we have to keep to a set itinerary. We're walking between 15 and 25kms a day. The longer of which will prove to be quite a challenge. You're very lucky that your plans are flexible. Yes, last year we've walked very leisurely from Sarria to S de C, the last section of the Camino de France. It was lovely, but we wanted a more authentic experience before our feet and legs begin to let us down! The second half of our Camino will mimic that and be more gentle, as we're meeting the rest of our group in Tui. We speak a little Portuguese and Spanish, but are hoping to pick up a bit more along the way! We started with very little last year and were helped immensely by the locals! Our accents still leave a lot to be desired though! Have you decided on your route North yet? S

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No camino is complete without downloading Luis Freixo's maps of all the caminos to Santiago from Portugal see http://www.caminador.es/?page_id=117
I've done the Coastal and shoreline routes a few times and they are both really beautiful. The shoreline route is my favourite but is less well signed in places. The official route is really well signed so if you like following yellow arrows you should have no problems reaching Redondela....

Last edited:

Leese
We will be arriving in Porto on June 2nd and starting our hike on June 3rd..we are doing the coastal shoreline route. This will be our first camino also.. buen camino!!

We will be arriving in Porto on June 2nd and starting our hike on June 3rd..we are doing the coastal shoreline route. This will be our first camino also.. buen camino!!

We will be following closely in your footsteps! Bom Caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back