• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first camino. May 2018

california smith

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018)
Hello everyone, I am 24 years old, my name is Eric from Napa Valley California, of Hispanic origin. My parents are from an old Mexican town nestled high in the Sierra of Michoacan, fabled with both Native and Spanish legends and tales. I decided last year that it would be a good time to walk as I am transitioning universities so I walked to Burgos from SJPP this last May. Personally I do not consider myself a very good blogger but I found myself having some free time and thought "Why don't I write something about my camino?" I could have wrote these on the way but I was so immersed in the Camino that my phone was used more as a camera and alarm clock so I think I will recap some daily highlights over a few days. Feel free to input or asks questions. I also have pictures.

May 5th: Arrive to Bayonne from Toulouse by bus. Beginning to get over the slight food poisoning that came over me from an caesar wrap on the plane from Amsterdam. Gross. Made my way to train station on foot. I have a smart phone as a map but took the opportunity to practice a little newly learned french to make it to the train station. Friendly and kind people. As an American I find a simple quirkiness to the way streets are marked here.. arrived at station. I board the bus. There were very few seats left and I would offer them to older people than I and I sat on the floor by chance next to other Americans. I say to myself "the camino is beginning already".
1hour later. Arrive to St. Jean. Explore and take some nice pictures. Go to a bar for wifi to message back home. Walk in circles trying to find Beilari but eventually wander upon it, it was so obvious..curiously hidden though. Greeted by Joselu and his stepson Matthew. Let me tell you that these were the nicest of people. Initially I thought I was the youngest in the hostel but I found another American from Philadelphia upstairs 19 years old on his 2nd night. Tristan. Spanish American, his father born in Spain. Smart fellow who walked at 15 with his father and was now doing it alone. We had a very nice vegetarian dinner with people from France, Germany, Australia, Spain, U.S, Colombia, Belgium and others. After dinner we take a walk around town. By the way they did some magic with thise vegetables..I almost became vegetarian! We decide that we will walk together in the morning and call it a night.

May 6th: We awake and have a light breakfast in the hostel. We walk up to the very true beginning, take pictures and make our way in a light fog. Leaving
SJ I can already feel the imminent physical kicking that is coming my way as the incline begins so I tighten my straps and say this is part of what I came for. Tristan has longer legs than I and makes his way easier. We arrive at Hunto. Here we take a short break, enough to still stay warm and I buy us oranginas to drink at a small "casa". Here we meet an old stocky Asiatic man rummaging through his things. We ask if he's alright and saya he believes he lost his smartphone! On the 1st day what a bummer? He goes inside to ask if theyve seen his phone and comes out and goes back in. As he walks in we hear something ring from his bag!I knew it was his phone so I run in to get him. I say "mister, mister I think your phone is back here!" I'd say he was around 75 it took me a few moments to finally get him to come as he was so fixated on asking for his phone I don't think he could hear me. We dig around in his bag and find his phone in a secret compartment..we have a laugh and he was very grateful. He says his Christan name is John and we depart.

The hike gets heavier. Rather than chatting we both are focusing on the steps we are taking and absorbing the scenery to relieve the burn. I think to myself that the universe brought Tristan and I together to help each other, he's very happy to hear my stories and he tells me of the East coast. Being the older yet less experienced pilgrim I tell him to go on while I slow my pace, I do not tell him my sour stomach is returning. We agree to meet again in Orisson. His long legs soon take him out of my sight. I conditioned and trained for the hike but the food sickness was completely unprecedented. I consider myself a tough guy I played American football and worked in the vineyard from sunrise but I thought that this would get to even the most fit if athletes. 3/4ths of the way up I walk to the side, almost slipping 10 meters and heaved. Nobody saw but if they did I'm sure they would understand but I felt a lot better. Short after I arrive at Orrison and I see Tristan taking his first bites into his "bocadillo".. I want one too so I get one with some fresh O.J. and sit inside Orisson. Halfway through I hear my name being called. "Eric! Eric!" I asked myself what this urgency could be.."I knew we would see you!" It was Angel a 39 year old Asian American woman from New Jersey no taller than 5 feet 0 inches. Seriously. She was the most petite woman I've ever seen. "You forgot your lunch!" Ah yes. The night before Joselu offered a lunch on the go for those interested the night before and I was in. I was just too excited in the morning and forgot. "But its gone!Corrie ate it" she says another pilgrim from Beilari hailing from Rotterdam around 50 years of age. I laugh and say good as it did not waste. Corrie insists on paying me for it but I say no way my treat! Tristan and I soak up the sun for a while but inform him that my night is marked for Orisson. He says he's going to Roncesvalles and wants to interview me on the JVC cassette video recorder for his film class. Yeah seriously. It was like a brick. We trade social media contact info. Anyways we do so and then wish each other goodluck and the best of times. I watch him go up the hill and this would be the last time we walked together. I sit outside by the door on a tall chair and Corrie comes out with a big surprise beer for me.
*more coming*

Attachments

• 20180506_104431.jpg
    20180506_104431.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20180506_121822.jpg
    20180506_121822.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, Napa! Sonoma here. I love your blog. Have you considered putting your notes and photos together in a hard copy? I love my little spiral book of my Camino. I pull it off the bookshelf often for reference or just to reminisce.

May 6th: After settling in at Orisson I decide to get another sandwich and explore the area a bit. Pleasantly surprised. Behind Orisson there is a small but steep hill with an exceptional view. Beware of bees. There's a hive up there somewhere. When I came down I decided to socialize a bit, the "dorms" are a great place introduce yourself to others. Here I met a tall French Canadian named Serge, two Englishmen Rob and Dave, and a few others, all three in their sixties but in good health albeit Dave was a little pudgier. We all seem to be mutually curious of each other, Dave and Rob were both childhood friends and Serge had just adopted three young girls from China. At this moment I begin to realize that there is no pilgrim without a vigor for life. We all go down and socialize with others until dinner. At dinner at found myself smack dab in the middle of a long table of Australians and New Zealanders. My knowledge in the wine industry was a good for conversation, they are lively people. I see a room of relieved, sun burnt and hungry people. We all introduce ourselves and say where we are from and why we choose to walk. This is it, I am here, carry me caravan.

May 7th: Serge and I decide to head out of Orisson together. He is very tall around 6'3 but has a bad knee so his pace is a little slower. The walk to Roncesvalles at this time is exceptionally green, and the air is crisp. We soon begin to see wild goats and horses. A little snow still left off the path. Very good water fountains here.This section is truly the toughest of all, if you can do this part then you can do the rest. The decline is hard on your knees and ankles. The risk of injury here is present. Many have passed away on this section, we see the reminders along the way. Arriving to the monastery was a tender experience since it was such a majestic sight. People here work diligently to ensure the well being of he pilgrims. I see familiar faces from St Jean and Orisson here. I run into Angel, Corrie, Dave and Rob again. In the morning we are awakened by guitars and singing "Good morning, good morning the camino awaits you today".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, Napa! Sonoma here. I love your blog. Have you considered putting your notes and photos together in a hard copy? I love my little spiral book of my Camino. I pull it off the bookshelf often for reference or just to reminisce.
Hey thanks small world! Ive had another chance to write a little tonight. I have all of my photos sorted in a digital album. When I return to the camino I will have a better my methods of documenting my days.

Buen Camino from Santa Cruz, CA! Enjoying your notes as I prepare to make my first Camino next Fall. I love "preparing" by reading of others' experiences. Keep it up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May 8th: This morning is foggy with moisture in the air. I go down to meet Serge near the camino again. I stretch and say hello to others as I wait for him to arrive. I bought a walking stick for 12 euros the night before so I cant wait to test it out. He arrives and we head out. It is a short time before we "descend" into as small forest, here I feel a strange and eerie sensation. I say to Serge "Its sort of creepy here isnt it?" I just felt uneasy but I kept it mostly to myself. As we exit the forest there is a large board that shows the history of the forest. Apparently the area was once inhabited by a community of real witches! I kind of laugh to myself and wonder if I have some sort of heightened psychic awareness. "I told you Serge,l told you!" I say and he laughs and says "ya you are good!" At the end of the forest is a nice quaint village town. I begin to feel the hang of the camino and I am happy. Here are green fields of pasture and invigorated pilgrims. Every once in a while when there is a good view Serge pulls out a small stuffed toy penguin and props it up for a photograph. " its for my little girl" he says, the toy was a gift from his youngest adopted daughter. We reach the town of Zubiri. I am exhausted and must stay here even if Larrasoana is only 2 miles away. Serge with his long legs is going on. I say "ill see you on the camino" but I know this is the last time I will see him and I watch him walk back into the forest...
I find a nice cafe on a corner and order a pizza. As it comes out another pilgrim I recognize turns the corner and I invite him for a slice! After eating I begin to find a place to stay for the night and I decide to see how the municipal albergue is like. As it turns out I was one of the first in the albergue, something that would unknowingly become a common occurrence. I recall it costing no more than 7 euros here. The only drawback to me was the military style showers, no dividers, just naked with a bunch of strangers! Its okay, nature of the camino I say. I go back to rest on my bed as I am reading a book a young group is getting ready to go explore a bit for some food and drink. One of them, Sophie, asked if I would like to join. Amazing! Of course I'll come. We introduce ourselves and have a nice evening eating, drinking, laughing and playing pool. We head back and call it a night.

Thanks for your responses! Perhaps I will upload some photographs!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Beilari in St Jean Tristan and I in the back. Me in red and him wearing a scarf. Angel in pink next ro Tristan. Corrie in gray laughing infront of me.

Attachments

• 5.5.2018 STJEAN.jpg
    5.5.2018 STJEAN.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 14
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.